PDA

View Full Version : 4runner Exhaust

Freeskier
11-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm taking my 4runner off the road when the alberta insurance runs out in december and I wanna register and insure it in BC sometime in the new year. I'll need to replace the exhaust from the cat all the way to the end as right now it's doing its best swiss cheese impression.
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket exhaust for a '90 4runner, that won't prevent it from passing aircare? Or should I try and get another stock one? Any help is appreciated

dj_rice
11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Stock if u want sound, or get a custom built one with a Flowmaster or Dynamax muffler?

Freeskier
11-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice, I realize I forgot to put, I'm a student on a student's budget :P I thought there might be some companies that specialize in supplying aftermarket parts for toyota pickups and 4x4s.

aristocrat
11-17-2009, 02:19 PM
You WILL NOT pass aircare with an aftermarket exhaust. take it to an exhaust shop and tell them you need to pass aircare in BC. youll need like 20 Cats for a 4runner haha. jk but really, go stock.

FraserB
11-18-2009, 12:40 AM
I though MagnaFlow stuff can pass emissions? I know a few people down in Cali running full catback systems and the have no issue.

Personally, a MagnaFlow/DynoMax or Flowmaster hybrid catback:drool:

tubby89
11-20-2009, 01:03 AM
It's a crap shoot when it comes to AirCare in BC. My 93 Ford Ranger has oversized ,mandrel bent tube with Magnaflow High Flow Cat and Flowmaster 40 Muffler. I passed Aircare in Vancouver with flying colours. I was crossing my fingers though. BC has some strict policies in place in regards to certain modifications. The safest bet would be a factory replacement for the exhaust parts you need. It would suck if you had to spend twice. Good luck!

TYMSMNY
11-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Don't know if they made TRD ones for that year but I had a cat-back system on my 03 4runner. I believe TRD and magnaflow are very similar, if not the same. If it's from TRD... it should pass.

Freeskier
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Alright thanks guys, I'll figure it out in the spring when it's off the road and I'm not writing exams. It's gonna be a semester of fixing it all up, fixing the little things here and there, maaybe sending it skyward by a couple of inches.

DonJuan
11-24-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm planning on a aftermarket exaust for my 1994 Hilux Surf this spring. It has 47k km on it and is rust free. The exaust is also rust free. If u want the stock exaust I will give it to you for free too, just come pick it up. Only thing is mine is the 1kz engine auto. I dunno if it will work you with out some mods.

aristocrat
11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
It wont work on his 4runner. What years your surf? im fixing the head on my 2lte right now ha.

SR54RNR
11-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Freeskier
I'm taking my 4runner off the road when the alberta insurance runs out in december and I wanna register and insure it in BC sometime in the new year. I'll need to replace the exhaust from the cat all the way to the end as right now it's doing its best swiss cheese impression.
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket exhaust for a '90 4runner, that won't prevent it from passing aircare? Or should I try and get another stock one? Any help is appreciated

I had a 2nd gen and there are zero aftermarket parts that are worth it. lets face it, you're not going to pay $600+ for a catback for a 1992 4runner.

I had a magnaflow muffer on my '92 3vz (v6) and I think it sounded great. keep the cat if you plan on passing air care. For a muffler shop to fix your rusted exhaust and add a magnaflow It should be about $300 bucks tops.