PDA

View Full Version : Any simple drafting programs?

sxtasy
11-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Do you guys know of any simple drafting programs, not looking for anything like AutoCAD. Just a simple program that beats graph paper and pencil.

Thanks

ercchry
11-16-2009, 08:12 PM
google sketch up? as simple as you can get really... when you are use to autoCAD it is a bit of a pain in the ass (for me at least) but it is not too bad... plus its free

Amysicle
11-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Visio?

sxtasy
11-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Trying Sketchup right now, seems to be what I am looking for. Hopefully I can scale everything off and print with dimensions. Pretty cool program tho.

2EFNFAST
11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
If I have a sketch of an object can I scan and upload it and play around with it in that google program?

I have a cut-out area of my dash that I'd like to trace and visually try some different gauge arrangements (circles) on.

ercchry
11-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
If I have a sketch of an object can I scan and upload it and play around with it in that google program?

I have a cut-out area of my dash that I'd like to trace and visually try some different gauge arrangements (circles) on.

should be able to... you have to REALLY be able to visualize in 3-D to get it to look right though... pay attention to what axis you are drawing on... they are color coded. i tried to sketch my house and was not paying attention to the axis i was on and it all looked fine till i rotated the object :nut:

the cool thing about sketch up is the online library of models.... might get lucky and find your car already done up in sketch up and can just modify from there

sxtasy
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
anybody have experience using Sketchup? I would like to send my drawing through email, possible to somehow export or save as jpeg?

ercchry
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
anybody have experience using Sketchup? I would like to send my drawing through email, possible to somehow export or save as jpeg?

export as 2-d graphic

file>export>2d graphic

saves as jpeg... i think there is other options too

sxtasy
11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
cool, thanks. Pretty good for a free program