View Full Version : VOIP = internet slow down?

HiSpec
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I just got VOIP, and I noticed that it really slowed down my internet connection.

Before I can download at about 800 kb/s now I am down to ~250-300 kb/s. Is this normal?

revelations
11-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Yes

HiSpec
11-16-2009, 11:24 PM
But THIS much?
That's alot of decrease in speed!!

eblend
11-16-2009, 11:26 PM
what kind of voip is this? with who, who is ur ISP?

I assume you mean the decrease is when you are using the phone right?

Brendan_4g63
11-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Over wifi?
Wifi streaming things kills throughput.

HiSpec
11-16-2009, 11:36 PM
@ eblend

I am with Shaw right now, using the Digital Phone Lite (the cheapest one)

No, no one is using the phone since I started my download. About two weeks ago i was getting ~750 - 800 kb/s, now just couple hours ago I am only getting ~250 - 300 kb/s. This is through newsgroup. I've tried different files, but it did not change the speed at all.

HiSpec
11-16-2009, 11:37 PM
@ Brendan

No, my desktop is wired, not wifi.

I got my VOIP about 3 weeks ago. Would they have changed something in my service so I get better voice quality in VOIP by increase the bandwidth to the VOIP, while dropping the bandwidth to my internet?

yellowsnow
11-16-2009, 11:52 PM
call shaw and complain

eblend
11-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Could also be just congestion in the neibourhood, I sometimes get 1500kb/s off newsgroups, at other times I get like 200 because it gets congested (too many ppl downloading shit or using the net).

My parents have a shaw phone and it works perfectly fine and the speeds are still great. Shaw phone doesn't use your primary internet connection, it is its own modem and connects directly to the line, does not go through your home network at all.

I would call and check. Perhaps your line signal quality is not good. For my parents they installed a signal booster on the modem because the line was split too many times and signal was getting weak. Perhaps when they installed the voip modem they split again and took down some of the signal that was originally going to the internet modem

HiSpec
11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Could also be just congestion in the neibourhood, I sometimes get 1500kb/s off newsgroups, at other times I get like 200 because it gets congested (too many ppl downloading shit or using the net).

My parents have a shaw phone and it works perfectly fine and the speeds are still great. Shaw phone doesn't use your primary internet connection, it is its own modem and connects directly to the line, does not go through your home network at all.

I would call and check. Perhaps your line signal quality is not good. For my parents they installed a signal booster on the modem because the line was split too many times and signal was getting weak. Perhaps when they installed the voip modem they split again and took down some of the signal that was originally going to the internet modem

So I called Shaw, and they told me they are doing maintenance in my area and it should be back up to speed in about a week or two...

I'll see what kind of speed i will be getting in a week.