PDA

View Full Version : Weird people wanting to buy my car.

max_boost
11-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Ok so I have my 06 WRX up for sale and price is obo etc. usually when it's listed, it's the annoying phone calls from those companies 'guaranteeing the sale' if I pay $300 etc. that annoys me but it's not that, has the following happened to you recently?

Over the past week, I've had 4 separate (2 guys, 2 girls) people call me from local numbers (caller id and name shows up). What do they have in common? They are Chinese, strong accent, and speak Mandarin, probably came over recently from China.

Now I'm Chinese too but WTF? It's weird because they KNOW NOTHING about my car. All they want to do is meet up and test the car. I don't know if they are tire kickers or not so I ask them shit about the car, if they know anything about Subaru's etc. I ask if they can drive manual or 5 speed and they don't know. Don't have the slightest clue:rofl:

Seriously I'm just confused. And they are relentless. At first I thought they might be interested so I said I would call them back but really I just got annoyed talking to them and don't want to go down that avenue. But when I didn't call them back, they would call back 5-8X, leaving messages, 'wanting to test the car'. So I got fed up and just said the car was sold.

It's just odd. These fobs should be looking for automatic Civics or Corollas, not a modded WRX.

My $0.02

Just bizzarre. Could it be they are all of the same group? Some type of scam? haha :dunno: Or maybe they really want my car and I'm screwing myself by not meeting up with them but just going with my gut.

/rant.

FiveFreshFish
11-17-2009, 01:11 AM
FS link?

Maybe the ad wording is somehow attracting the FOBs. :rofl:

pf0sh0
11-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Maybe it is one of your friends fucking with you lol

2Valve0
11-17-2009, 01:14 AM
some fobs have $$, meet up with 4 of your friends.

if they want a test drive ask for a valid license and go with them, if they fuck up once in the parking lot get them to stop and get out?
:dunno:

I did when i sold my car

max_boost
11-17-2009, 01:18 AM
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars_details/CALGARY_Alberta_2006_SUBARU_WRX+_3018830.html?srcid=1475519&source=24&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=&r=calgaryalberta&ad-attributes=photos,,

2006 SUBARU WRX , Sedan, 50400 kms, $21800, Pre-owned, AWD, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, AM/FM stereo, Anti-lock brakes, CD player, Cruise control, Dual air bag, Fog lights, Heated mirrors, Heated seats, Keyless entry, Power brakes, Power locks, Power mirrors, Power steering, Power windows, Rear defroster, Remote start, Spoiler, Tilt Wheel, Local car. 1 owner. Purchased new in June 2006.
Balanced of 5 year factory warranty still in effect.
Car comes with Michelin PA2 winter tires and a brand new set of Michelin Sport summer tires.
A few modifications to make the car even nicer to drive and look at include:
Chargespeed 4-piece Aero kit to enhance the car's aggressive appearance.
6000K HID's.
Cobb stage2 performance upgrade which increases performance to an est. 260hp and 270ft.lbs of torque.
Just recently installed a 2-way compu-star remote starter for winter.

Must see! I just bought a new car so this one has to go.

It's just ODD that I've had 4 fobs call me on the phone. Forgot to add I've had two other e-mails too.

I just don't get it. :rofl:

max_boost
11-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by 2Valve0
some fobs have $$, meet up with 4 of your friends.

if they want a test drive ask for a valid license and go with them, if they fuck up once in the parking lot get them to stop and get out?

I did when i sold my car

Haha perhaps so. Now if my car was auto, I'm fine. I'm just worried because it's manual, greater room for error if they mis-shift etc.

Really I don't want to let anyone just drive it. I'll take them for a spin and if they are serious, have money ready, then I'll let them drive it.

If anything, the annoyances with selling a used car, from now on I am only going to lease. Fuck. Rent it and return it. LOL

Danny Meehan
11-17-2009, 01:28 AM
or car is underpriced and deal hunters recognize it

Hatchback Hero
11-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Leasing a car is for suckers <.< Wish I had more to say to that. However I do hate being in the predicament your in.

TYMSMNY
11-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Subaru..... AND.... your list price of 21,800. They know they're dealing with their own.

SCHIDER23
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

prae
11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Call me a racist but every visible minority that test drove my SUV (an import brand) were the most annoying people ever.

The price was listed as FIRM, I confirmed this with everybody before I let them test drive. Every FOB would spend a half hour going on an exorbitantly long test drive, pointing out minor flaws in a 9 year old vehicle, that were already clearly established in the ad, and would then attempt to negotiate with me on price. Ughhhh.

The_Rural_Juror
11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I had these mainlander FOBs lowball me on a potential sale once. They also wanted to pay via wire transfer.

This was after I explained to them before heading over that my price was firm and cash only. I even drove 15 mins to their run down ghetto house because they didn't have a ride.

I don't think they understood what F*** off meant, but I'm sure the tone of my voice conveyed the message.

Edit: Oh yeah. A day after I told them to F off, I got a call from another mainlander wanting to view the car at the same general location.

KK07
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Maybe they just see the year and all of the features, and don't know what 5 speed means? Your ad doesn't say whether its automatic or 5 speed so some people may have no clue :dunno: . If I asked my uncle what the difference between 5 speed and auto is, I'd get a :confused: face

That's such a good price, I'm even considering giving you a call now haha

picmerollin
11-17-2009, 12:20 PM
When I am selling a vehicle I only reply to the properly written responses and only give my number once I feel that it will not be a waste of my time.

The trick here is to price it so you get enough replies to choose who you would like to follow up with. I may be leaving some money on the table but I will not have to deal with chumps- regardless of where they are from, or language/knowledge barriers.

the last few rides I have sold have all been from kijiji, and I have had very good luck with finding hassle free buyers. This also leaves the option of not entering a phone number, so i can screen the replies.

but when I get one line replies like "whats your lowest price", or "hows manys kilometeresis are on the car"- when I am selling a truck and the km's are in the ad.

I have to deal with too many fucktards at work, to want to deal with ill-communicators on my time.

good luck with sale.

Xtrema
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Danny Meehan
or car is underpriced and deal hunters recognize it

Probably the case. FOBs can't stay away from good deals. Selling to FOBs can be easy (cash is always ready) or hassle (lowballs). I see it as 50/50 in my experience. Price accordingly if you don't want FOBs.

Originally posted by Hatchback Hero
Leasing a car is for suckers &lt;.&lt; Wish I had more to say to that. However I do hate being in the predicament your in.

Why? He writes them off (I assume) to the business. Spending pre-tax income for the win.

Go search the tread on other benefits of leasing.

max_boost
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by picmerollin
When I am selling a vehicle I only reply to the properly written responses and only give my number once I feel that it will not be a waste of my time.

The trick here is to price it so you get enough replies to choose who you would like to follow up with. I may be leaving some money on the table but I will not have to deal with chumps- regardless of where they are from, or language/knowledge barriers.

the last few rides I have sold have all been from kijiji, and I have had very good luck with finding hassle free buyers. This also leaves the option of not entering a phone number, so i can screen the replies.

but when I get one line replies like &quot;whats your lowest price&quot;, or &quot;hows manys kilometeresis are on the car&quot;- when I am selling a truck and the km's are in the ad.

I have to deal with too many fucktards at work, to want to deal with ill-communicators on my time.

good luck with sale.

I agree 110% with everything you said.

Rabb
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I had a FOB i believe he was from HK come looking at my Infiniti G35 .. I was the cheapest 06 in Alberta at the time. and he showed me that VMR site that said the car is alot less .. really I was like not gonna sell her for that, I wanted to sell the car so I said ill keep the winter tires and I can sell it cheaper ... still wasnt good enough then I just flat out told him "look i understand you cant afford my car but i wont sell it cheaper" you should have seen the look on his face basically like I disrepected him in the worst way he got mad said bye and got into his car and left.

Whatever another guy comes and looks at it and buys it for almost what I asked for .. next day that FOB calls me and says he can afford my car and he will buy it .. I laugh told him it was sold .. just told him being cheap doesnt pay off haha and he just hung up on me

so yeah if a FOB gives you a hard time just say "if you cant afford it i understand" haha totally makes them mad

topmade
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
FOB's are cheap mofo's, we all know that. I'm asian so I'm allowed to say that haha. We sold a Infinity G20 to a FOB a while ago. Drove to their house because they didn't have a ride. Negotiated a decent price and settled on one. Went to drop it off the next day and loosers tried to even go lower on the price after we agreed the day before. We were ready to walk out the door then they finally said fine they'll pay the price that was agreed on, then the fuckers pull out a cheque from someone else and tried to give it to us. We left the car there, but didn't sign anything over and took the keys and cashed the cheque before giving it to them. It was PITA experience.

.civictyper.
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
beautiful car.. wish I would have seen this before I dropped 40K on a 2010 limited lol

rage2
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
If anything, the annoyances with selling a used car, from now on I am only going to lease. Fuck. Rent it and return it. LOL
I dunno why you don't lease. You can find some sweet favorable residual and interest rates that make it cheaper to lease for 3 years than to finance and sell after 3 years. Some leases, with a lump sum payment, reduces the interest even more. And you get to keep your money in the bank.

The best part is, if you have a lemon (no lemon laws here) or someone smacks your car and it's fucked, u don't have to worry about depreciation.

ninefourfour
11-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Xtrema
11-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The best part is, if you have a lemon (no lemon laws here) or someone smacks your car and it's fucked, u don't have to worry about depreciation.

#1 reason I'm leasing my next car. Too many fucktard that don't know how to drive winters in the city.

Aleks
11-17-2009, 02:46 PM

I dunno why you don't lease. You can find some sweet favorable residual and interest rates that make it cheaper to lease for 3 years than to finance and sell after 3 years. Some leases, with a lump sum payment, reduces the interest even more. And you get to keep your money in the bank.

Both our Subarus are leased for this exact reason. I'd never finance a new car again when I can find lease rates at 0.9 % to 1.9%.

max_boost
11-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Oh I know and agree man. I'm a lease hunter too. All my cars in the past have been on leases with the exception of this one and the SLK. I actually thought I was going to keep the WRX for 5+ years but seriously, how silly was that. :rofl: :facepalm: When have I ever kept any car longer than 3 years haha

eg_eric
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by picmerollin

AGREE i would much rather respond to

"Hello, I am very interested in your car and I am seriously considering purchasing, is there a time and place that we can meet? - Jim"

OVER

"hey holmes how much you willin to bump off da price?? [email protected]"

msommers
11-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Wait until you put something in the bargain finder for free :rofl: what a shitshow.

Just out of curiousity, are you on 8th ave?

lint
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by msommers

...stalker

FraserB
11-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Can you swing by my house? I'd like to look at this vehicle.

Disoblige
11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe in China there is a knock-off luxury sedan that looks very similar to the WRX you're selling. And since we all know Chinese knock-offs combine multiple car brand designs into one, they may have thought they're getting a steal of a deal :D

slinkie
11-17-2009, 05:42 PM

hahaha are you the guy that went from a white WRX with a lip kit...to a slightly newer white WRX with a lip kit... i love it:poosie:

msommers
11-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Haha no. I just see a white subbie for sale on my way to downtown in the mornings.

slinkie
11-17-2009, 11:43 PM
i meant is max_boost >_>

88CRX
11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Wait until you put something in the bargain finder for free :rofl: what a shitshow.

:werd:

My parents had some coffee table for sale for $20, just wanted to get rid of it. Some dude shows up, offers $15, my parents say sure and he hands over a $20 and asks for change :facepalm:

msommers
11-18-2009, 12:37 AM
LOL some people eh. I'm surprised you didn't get a phone call at 6am asking if the free baseboards were still available.

Gibson
11-18-2009, 12:47 AM
I would just like to say that the kit on the car is gorgeous.

That is all.

jonfoo
11-18-2009, 01:01 AM
just tell em no test pilots, if they want to see it u'll drive them

1-Bar
11-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

:werd:

My parents had some coffee table for sale for $20, just wanted to get rid of it. Some dude shows up, offers $15, my parents say sure and he hands over a $20 and asks for change :facepalm:

haha, did they give it??

freshprince1
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by eg_eric

AGREE i would much rather respond to

&quot;Hello, I am very interested in your car and I am seriously considering purchasing, is there a time and place that we can meet? - Jim&quot;

OVER

&quot;hey holmes how much you willin to bump off da price?? [email protected]&quot;

It got to the point where I just deleted those emails and never bothered responding.

I too have sold things (cars, cell phones...etc) and had the buyer show up, after agreeing to a firm price, only to offer less. These people are alway visible minorities. And regardless of the price difference, I always turn them down on principle. It can probably be chalked up to cultural differences, so I figure I've given them a lesson on culture in the country they now live in. Stick to your word.

Bartering and negotiating the best price is fine. But where I come from, once you mutually agree on a price, it should be final.

igotacookie
11-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

But where I come from, once you mutually agree on a price, it should be final.

And where do you come from?

I had a white guy do that to me today. Pretty close minded opinion.

euro_racer
11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Lol I once had to meet a FOB buyer at a train station and he didn't even know how to drive standard so I had to drive him around for a bit... He ended up buying the car :confused:

Malicious
11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
WTF is a FOB?

exodus989
11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Malicious
WTF is a FOB?

Fuck Off Bitch?

IDK! Haha

al-ti2d
11-18-2009, 01:06 PM
FOB = Fresh Off the Boat

Xtrema
11-18-2009, 02:41 PM
WTF is a FOB?

1/2 of Beyond? :rofl:

freshprince1
11-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by igotacookie

And where do you come from?

I had a white guy do that to me today. Pretty close minded opinion.

Born in Sherwood Park, raised in Calgary.

SHOULD was the key word there...guess I should have put it in italics. Anybody - regardless of race - doing the old bait and switch would get the same reaction from me.

beyond_ban
11-18-2009, 05:15 PM
WTF is a FOB?

Originally posted by exodus989

Fuck Off Bitch?

IDK! Haha

SRS? :nut:

I guess the old saying it takes one to know one is proven wrong again.

C4S
11-18-2009, 05:56 PM

Well .. people from mainland .. have money ...

lots .. lots of money .. so it does make sense, most BUYERS now, are from mainland.

And they can get their money from China right the way ... Unlike Honger, we are broke..:(

G-ZUS
11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Sorry visible minorities but I have only had good luck selling to caucasians and 1 visible minority - spanish people.

My_name_is_Rob
11-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

had the buyer show up, after agreeing to a firm price, only to offer less.

I have had the seller do that... with the exception that he wanted more...?!? ... Some peoples kids...:dunno:

Graham_A_M
11-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I've bought and sold so many vehicles in my life, I've learnt a few good tricks.

I usually legitimize my sale by having the car/bike/truck inspected beforehand, and show the inspection papers to the individual. As in I'll get my Chev inspected at GSL or Shaw (etc)
That way it pretty much eliminates any test pilots or questions towards problems and further nitpicking.

If people are dead set on taking it for a test drive/test ride: They have to give me a bank draft for the full amount. That way if they wreck it in someway, its theirs now.
I've learned the importance of that trick after a family with kids tried to drive off with this '72 Chevelle I had.
Yeah that "test drive" was taking a bit long (the wife took the toddlers, hopped in their van to go "look for them") :banghead: so I had to chase them down with my sportbike. Thank God they got lost in my neighboorhood. Police involvement and everything, what a shitshow.
:confused:

If people want to offer less money at the time of the sale then what was agreed on, I direct them to the nearest bank and tell them get the remainder. If they dont come back, great thats fine too. ;) Dont insult me by offering less cash we both verbally committed to. :rolleyes:

tentacles
11-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Yeah that "test drive" was taking a bit long (the wife took the toddlers, hopped in their van to go "look for them") so I had to chase them down with my sportbike. Thank God they got lost in my neighboorhood. Police involvement and everything, what a shitshow.

...the fuck? :nut:

You could just go with them next time.

Unknown303
01-31-2010, 11:28 PM
If I was letting someone test drive my vehicle for a sale I would definetely be in the vehicle. There's no other way in my opinion.

Cos
02-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Subaru..... AND.... your list price of 21,800. They know they're dealing with their own.

this..... bahahah