PDA

View Full Version : picking up a car that's been in storage for a few years?

slinkie
11-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Lookin to pick up a cheap 280Z from a buddy for a project car. The problem is it's been in storage in banff for a few years (at least four) and before that I'm pretty sure it was not in use either...his dad bought it out of some guy's field but had it running great apparently.

was thinking would need all fluids replaced, will have mice in it for sure? tires will be done... will I need to tow/flatbed it out? any other problems it could have from sitting around for half a decade?

g-m
11-17-2009, 05:35 AM
rust obviously
I probably would have drained the gas tank and done an oil change before testing to see if it started if it'd been sitting that long.

edit: I believe that the tires will also have flat spots if it was stored on concrete or asphalt for any length of time.

Also, congrats on the classic Z. The S30 is my favorite car of all time but the 130 is hot too!

ExtraSlow
11-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Rust, Fluids, belts, hoses, mice and if you are really lucky, corrosion on the electrical connections.
That pretty much covers it.
However, given the dry climate in Alberta, it's better than if it was stored somewhere wetter or near an ocean.

slinkie
11-17-2009, 02:34 PM
alright cool! thanks

how would i get the mice out haha...just put mouse traps in the car??? I don't want them to like die and rot inside a seat or something :confused:

Cooked Rice
11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
There's mice living in the car? Gross. I'd rip everything out and make sure there's no disgusting nests or anything.

But.

Seals! A car sitting that long outside and in this climate. Good chance you will start to spring a few oil leaks from dried up seals. And possibility your valve seals may be dried up and leaky as well.

calgarygts
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM
would the gaskets have to be replaced? I have the same issue, a truck that was completely rebuilt (right down to an acid dip for the block) but has been sitting for a number of years. I'm wondering about the gaskets and whether or not they should be replaced.

eg_eric
11-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by g-m
rust obviously
I probably would have drained the gas tank and done an oil change before testing to see if it started if it'd been sitting that long.

edit: I believe that the tires will also have flat spots if it was stored on concrete or asphalt for any length of time.

Also, congrats on the classic Z. The S30 is my favorite car of all time but the 130 is hot too!

agree +1, i believe gas shelf life isn't very long so i would definitely drain the tank and do oil change as well.

Cooked Rice
11-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
would the gaskets have to be replaced? I have the same issue, a truck that was completely rebuilt (right down to an acid dip for the block) but has been sitting for a number of years. I'm wondering about the gaskets and whether or not they should be replaced.

Only way to find out is to fire it up and start driving it. A seal conditioner additive may help revive the seals/gaskets.

adidas
11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Might need to change all the hoses as they will eventually all start to crack.

slinkie
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
dunno if there's mice in it for sure, but it's a safe bet...

well i better get used to an empty wallet lol

theken
11-17-2009, 08:49 PM
my truck sat for 5 years, mice didnt get into it until like 4 weeks before a moved it lol, they are all gone, they just leave when you start fucking around in there.
my tires were fine, except 1, it went flat and cracked

Cock Knuckle
11-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Check the lower front fenders & body panel underneath (take fender off if possible, little patch looking panel on inside of wheelwell on frame rail, battery tray, floorpans are almost guaranteed crap, grille infront of windshield, bottom of door skin, FRAME RAILS, quarter panel infront & behind the rear tire, rear decklid (open and check for rust around weatherstripping at bottom).

I think that covers most problem rust areas. Hopefully the paint held back most rust damage, but if it has been in a field for a decade you have a VERY SLIM hope. If you have flintstone floorboards, my advise would be to walk away unless you want to dump serious money into it.

If it seems to be in decent shape you will most likely be trying to track down where the fumes are seeping in from. Good luck.

edit: btw what year?