PDA

View Full Version : Whole Deep Fried Fish and Caribbean...

clem24
11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
So where in Calgary can I get a decent one? We're not talking about fish and chips or any other pieces of fish deep fried. Just the whole freakin' fish, head and all, not battered and tossed in the deep fryer.

I usually get this when I am in a Mexican restaurant in the US. And most recently, they had it on the menu at Irie Foods (Caribbean in Edmonton on Whyte) and it was delicious!!! I've tried the one at La Casa Latino a while back but it was dry and generally not good.

On the topic on Caribbean, is there any place in Calgary that is decent? The Irie Foods in Edmonton was excellent. I have no idea what real jerk chicken or salted fish (and deep fried) should really taste like but I really love the shit at Irie Foods. They also made this steamed fish and top it with some heavenly insanely hot sauce. I can't seem to find any favourable reviews of Caribbean places in Calgary. Why does Edmonton always get the better eateries...

nonlinear
11-17-2009, 12:24 PM
^^there used to be a small hole-in-the-wall Carib place called "What's Up" on 17th ave. I haven't been there in like 4 years or so, though, and i'm not sure if it's still there or not. They had awesome food, though, and the dude that owned it was great to talk to. He even used to answer the phone "What's Up!?"

haha

there's also the conga room, which is Cuban but might be somewhat close to what you're looking for?

Trini
11-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Not much good Caribbean food places in Calgary. Many many more excellent ones in Toronto.
When there is Cari-fest or Reggae Fest check the food booths.

ExtraSlow
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Joycee's Caribean Food (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/190810/restaurant/Bridgeland/Joycees-Caribbean-Foods-Calgary)

HuMz
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Joycee's Caribean Food (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/190810/restaurant/Bridgeland/Joycees-Caribbean-Foods-Calgary)

If this is the place im thinking above this is more of a small grocery store, they do have some ready to eat foods like jamacian patties but I don't think its much of a restaraunt.

msommers
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
It is more of a grocery store but the food is delic. Fuck I want some roti now

DonJuan
11-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Trini
Not much good Caribbean food places in Calgary. Many many more excellent ones in Toronto.
When there is Cari-fest or Reggae Fest check the food booths.

Its true I don't trust any of the Caribbean food around here. Toronto is much better. I usually just wait till I go back.

n1zm0
11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
whole deep fried fish (i mean almost any kind of sea fish), fk i grew up on that with rice and lime-chili (sometimes shrimp paste)-soysauce for dipping, staple dinner for Malaysians.

on the Caribbean note, there is a store/restaurant of that type in the little strip mall in fairview where toppler bowl is, never been but i've always wondered about it being a hidden gem or something, here! (http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=toppler+bowl+calgary&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=toppler+bowl&hnear=calgary&cid=0,0,17773733904531279585&ei=aygDS7PxKYjWtgOhmuS4BA&ved=0CAgQnwIwAA&t=h&layer=c&cbll=50.985901,-114.059601&panoid=_QWbQhNebFIU4DQdF9W5CA&cbp=12,134.35,,1,2.77&ll=50.985842,-114.059758&spn=0,359.972126&z=16)

Kritafo
11-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
whole deep fried fish (i mean almost any kind of sea fish), fk i grew up on that with rice and lime-chili (sometimes shrimp paste)-soysauce for dipping, staple dinner for Malaysians.

on the Caribbean note, there is a store/restaurant of that type in the little strip mall in fairview where toppler bowl is, never been but i've always wondered about it being a hidden gem or something, here! (http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=toppler+bowl+calgary&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=toppler+bowl&hnear=calgary&cid=0,0,17773733904531279585&ei=aygDS7PxKYjWtgOhmuS4BA&ved=0CAgQnwIwAA&t=h&layer=c&cbll=50.985901,-114.059601&panoid=_QWbQhNebFIU4DQdF9W5CA&cbp=12,134.35,,1,2.77&ll=50.985842,-114.059758&spn=0,359.972126&z=16)

You talking about 7640 Fairmount Drive Southeast Calgary it used to be Sherry's but now it's Miss Avril's Caribbean?

We went just after it changed owner and the food was terrific. I mean it's a hole in the wall and they are fantastic. It's been a while since I have been but it was good.

I had a great Caribbean feast while back in ON...and it made me realize how much I missed it.

mac_82
11-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Many many more excellent ones in Toronto.

Originally posted by DonJuan
Toronto is much better. I usually just wait till I go back.

You guys been to West Island Foods [King/Dufferin] ?

nonlinear
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

You talking about 7640 Fairmount Drive Southeast Calgary it used to be Sherry's but now it's Miss Avril's Caribbean?

We went just after it changed owner and the food was terrific. I mean it's a hole in the wall and they are fantastic. It's been a while since I have been but it was good.

I had a great Caribbean feast while back in ON...and it made me realize how much I missed it.

yea, right next to cakeworks (:rofl: at the handmade sign on the right side - they have 2).

i live really close to there and have always wondered how their food was. will definitely have to give it a try after hearing kritafo's opinion. that whole strip mall is pretty sketchy, but if they have good food, than who gives a fuck?

clem24
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Alright I'll give that a try.. Thanks for the heads up. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Calgary just sucks for this kind of stuff while Edmonton is almost always waaaaay ahead.

Kritafo
11-17-2009, 11:33 PM
yeah the area is definitely sketchy...lol...but I thought for Calgary standards the food was good, but like I said it's been a few years for sure.

Toronto we went to The Real Jerk, but it wasn't as good as it once was....and Albert's. I will have to look into West Island next time!

Trini
11-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
You guys been to West Island Foods [King/Dufferin] ?

haven't tried them..Ackee Tree in Toronto is great their ox tail

:drool: :drool:

I'll take a visit to Miss Avril's Caribbean and sample their fare

Kritafo
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM

haven't tried them..Ackee Tree in Toronto is great their ox tail

:drool: :drool:

I'll take a visit to Miss Avril's Caribbean and sample their fare

yes now you tell me...I don't see a trip back East until the new year for me. Ackee Tree has a good looking menu and right on Spadina. That is the problem with Toronto though, we would start our destination to a certain restaurant and end up somewhere else because their is so many to pick from.

http://www.ackeetree.com/menus.asp

sml
11-18-2009, 06:46 PM
+1 for Miss Avril's!!! :thumbsup: