PDA

View Full Version : Advice buying brand new AUDI or BMW

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm in the market for a new vehicle purchase looked at Audi A4, BMW 3 series moving from Japanese into the German market perhaps... Anyways I need advice on when would be the best opportunity to pick one up with good finance rates or discounts on 2010 models? Also does anyone know if carcostcanada reports work at these dealerships in Calgary? Basically looking to buy but I'm willing to wait if the right price comes along. Also feel free to put your 2 cents in about reliability on these products I hear both stories good and bad. Those who I know who have BMWs have never had any issues Audi is still a blur to me.

rage2
11-17-2009, 02:08 PM
good finance rates and discounts for 2010 models will start around August or Sept 2010, when the 2011's start arriving.

Xtrema
11-17-2009, 02:15 PM
CarCostCanada don't do much for German luxury brands unless you are going for under $50K models and they have tons and tons on the lot.

But what CarCostCanada will do is alert you when there's a new incentive/rate change. Both BMW and Glenmore Audi monitor carcostcanada and I had salesman approach me when I pull a report. Right now, they are clearing 2009 models.

Reliability is a mixed bag. I had friends with lemons on either brand.

AudiPWR
11-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Dunno if it helps but I went from an 03 M3 to 06 S4 and I must say I love Audi 10x more. The AWD is awesome, specially when you live in a city than has shitty roads and snows alot. In the 5 months of owning the M3 I had one problem with the mechanial timng, I've owned the S for about a year now and not one prolem to date. The interior and steering in the Audi also felt alot nicer then the m3

heavyD
11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I prefer the style of Audi's over BMW but for you it should come down to personal preference after driving them and which makes sense for your budget. However don't expect Honda reliability from a German car in general but since you're looking at new vehicles that shouldn't be a much of a factor unless you are looking to keep the car long term.

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
CarCostCanada don't do much for German luxury brands unless you are going for under $50K models and they have tons and tons on the lot.

But what CarCostCanada will do is alert you when there's a new incentive/rate change. Both BMW and Glenmore Audi monitor carcostcanada and I had salesman approach me when I pull a report. Right now, they are clearing 2009 models.

Reliability is a mixed bag. I had friends with lemons on either brand.

So if i'm interested in the 2010 Audi A4 which is under 50K are you saying they will give a deal since they have more stock on their lot?

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2009, 03:20 PM
They have a few more a4's in stock because those are are popular seller however CCC won't do you any good and Audi doesn't do much for discounts. They're a beautiful car however and I would choose one over a bmw. If you want a discount talk to BMW they seem to give their cars away lol.

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
They have a few more a4's in stock because those are are popular seller however CCC won't do you any good and Audi doesn't do much for discounts. They're a beautiful car however and I would choose one over a bmw. If you want a discount talk to BMW they seem to give their cars away lol.

So Audi A4 is rated best interior in its class but I dont know much on their reliability I mean new means 4 yrs peace at mind but after that is what scares me. Yeah you aren't the first person to tell me BMW is actually more flexible on price these days is there a reason why?

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Dunno if it helps but I went from an 03 M3 to 06 S4 and I must say I love Audi 10x more. The AWD is awesome, specially when you live in a city than has shitty roads and snows alot. In the 5 months of owning the M3 I had one problem with the mechanial timng, I've owned the S for about a year now and not one prolem to date. The interior and steering in the Audi also felt alot nicer then the m3

I totally enjoy the raw power of the M3 friend of mine took me for a ride in the 05 SMG and all I could remember was fast and stiff ride to stiff maybe for me. AWD A4 i took for a test drive on Saturday was a joy to drive one thing that stands out over the Japanese was little road noise and the solid thump when hitting bumps car felt solid.

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by integra_vate

So Audi A4 is rated best interior in its class but I dont know much on their reliability I mean new means 4 yrs peace at mind but after that is what scares me. Yeah you aren't the first person to tell me BMW is actually more flexible on price these days is there a reason why?
None of the Germans will provide worry free driving once the warranty expires. As I said they're nice cars but they just don't excel at reliability, if you want piece of mind after the warranty expires then buy extended warranty to protect yourself. BMW does much higher volume than Audi, they also have much more of a broad lienup than Audi does. BMW also has a strange busineness plan when it comes to luxury auto sales. They have been taking a very domestic approach to selling cars (large discounts, higher residuals, low rates etc) which helps them move metal but it causes heavy depreciation on their vehicles over time and isn't good for the bottom line at the end of the year.

Xtrema
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
So if i'm interested in the 2010 Audi A4 which is under 50K are you saying they will give a deal since they have more stock on their lot?

That's the rule when it come to discount. Discount only happens when they want it gone. The only reasons they want it gone are:

a) too many on the lot that they need to find extra storage (not a problem for either Audi dealership in town IMO)
b) end of model year
c) slow sales months like Jan or Feb.

If they forsee any problem in getting rid of it or supply from factory is low anyway, they won't discount at all. And in Calgary, I don't think they have problems selling luxury vehicles.

There is a reason why lease rate is lower if you don't extend it to the end of the warranty period.

Again, while European generally has more problems, and they cost more to fix, it doesn't mean you'll be hit with them. Just more likely. I have seen an Audi with 150k that only has the dash display and wheel bearing went out on it. Everything else is mechanically sound.

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 05:00 PM

That's the rule when it come to discount. Discount only happens when they want it gone. The only reasons they want it gone are:

a) too many on the lot that they need to find extra storage (not a problem for either Audi dealership in town IMO)
b) end of model year
c) slow sales months like Jan or Feb.

If they forsee any problem in getting rid of it or supply from factory is low anyway, they won't discount at all. And in Calgary, I don't think they have problems selling luxury vehicles.

I can agree with what you say so what would be the ideal deal I mean I'm not expecting them to give the car away but would negotiating 1000-2000 off unreasonable?

Xtrema
11-17-2009, 05:04 PM

I can agree with what you say so what would be the ideal deal I mean I'm not expecting them to give the car away but would negotiating 1000-2000 off unreasonable?

You can always ask. What's the worse can happen?

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM

You'll be able to get 1000-2000 off for sure. Again make sure you know the final number before signing the deal. i've heard they add the dealer charges (freight, pdi etc) after the fact.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
BMW seem to be gving discounts out the ass lately. I remember back in 2000, we only got 2% off a 323ci, then in 2006 we got 3% off a 325i, in 2008 we managed a wopping 20.6% off a 2007 Z4M, and just this year we managed to get 4% off a Custom ordered 2010 135i delivered just a few weeks ago. They must be desperate to sell some cars now.

benyl
11-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Not enough douches around to buy BMWs without incentives!

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

You'll be able to get 1000-2000 off for sure. Again make sure you know the final number before signing the deal. i've heard they add the dealer charges (freight, pdi etc) after the fact.

Yeah thats what I like about Lexus they just post their price and you just add the GST. Everyone who does buy new only cares about out the door price dunno why they dont just do that. Because the A4 price is very attractive but after a few items it doesn't take long getting you over 50K from the 43K.

blownz
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
A buddy of mine just purchased a 2010 Audi A4 S-line and the discount was 3k off a sticker of about 47k. He didn't try to hard either, just went in and said he bought and 08 from the dealer and wanted a 2010 and wanted a good price. They said 2k off and he said how about 3 and they did it. Probably could get a bit more if you really tried.

Sweet car though. I would definitely take it over a 2010 328, but the 335 still has a better engine imo if the extra money isn't an issue.

Xtrema
11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by blownz
Sweet car though. I would definitely take it over a 2010 328, but the 335 still has a better engine imo if the extra money isn't an issue.

http://www.insideline.com/audi/s4/2010/comparison-test-2010-audi-s4-vs-2009-bmw-335i.html

2002civic
11-17-2009, 06:03 PM
I would take the audi just for the service at the dealership alone. I love my 08 A4 and the dealer has been fantastic, when I had my BMW I HATED going to there service dept.

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
I would take the audi just for the service at the dealership alone. I love my 08 A4 and the dealer has been fantastic, when I had my BMW I HATED going to there service dept.

hows your car been since you've bought it? any real issues i may need to consider. also audi offers a maintnance plan for $750 did you get it by any chance includes oil changes and all service for 4 yrs?

mr.13secprobe
11-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I am in the market as well and I have been all three german dealerships to see what the deals were like.

Mercedez had the best deal. They were willing to give me cash incentives for any 07~09 models. They were offering $10g cash incentive for 09 slk 55 amg, $7g for 09 slk 350 and $4g for 07 slk 55 amg.

The second best deal was found from BMW. They had way too many 3 series sitting at the lot and they were anxious to get rid of them. You can get a really good deal on 3 series but then new 3 serieses became really common on the road.

Audi didn't really have any deals since they literally didin't have any A4 or A5 left to sell.(I am talking about new models)
They also showed me the article how AUDI sold the most among all german dealerships.
The salesman also mentioned that AUDI tries to keep the production rate low so there are not many new models seen on the road.

integra_vate
11-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by mr.13secprobe
I am in the market as well and I have been all three german dealerships to see what the deals were like.

Mercedez had the best deal. They were willing to give me cash incentives for any 07~09 models. They were offering $10g cash incentive for 09 slk 55 amg, $7g for 09 slk 350 and $4g for 07 slk 55 amg.

The second best deal was found from BMW. They had way too many 3 series sitting at the lot and they were anxious to get rid of them. You can get a really good deal on 3 series but then new 3 serieses became really common on the road.

Audi didn't really have any deals since they literally didin't have any A4 or A5 left to sell.(I am talking about new models)
They also showed me the article how AUDI sold the most among all german dealerships.
The salesman also mentioned that AUDI tries to keep the production rate low so there are not many new models seen on the road.

So what kind of price is someone looking at for 09 335i sedan then? Yeah I was told the same about Audi they said A4 is best seller and they did seem flexible to talk about price but when any buyer is ready and serious.

blownz
11-18-2009, 10:50 AM

http://www.insideline.com/audi/s4/2010/comparison-test-2010-audi-s4-vs-2009-bmw-335i.html

I would agree with that too but I actually thought the S4 was priced similar to the S5 and as such would cost quite a bit more than a 335. It is not so bad though.

C4S
11-18-2009, 04:08 PM
If lease .. go BMW ... free service .. low rate .. good payment .. :)

Xtrema
11-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by blownz

I would agree with that too but I actually thought the S4 was priced similar to the S5 and as such would cost quite a bit more than a 335. It is not so bad though.

Not by much...

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1931/21810218.jpg

But options will definitely cost more.

Sugarphreak
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM

blownz
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Not by much...

That is why I said "it is not so bad though"... when I made the first post though I didn't mention the S4 because I thought it was more until I checked.

2002civic
11-18-2009, 08:11 PM

hows your car been since you've bought it? any real issues i may need to consider. also audi offers a maintnance plan for $750 did you get it by any chance includes oil changes and all service for 4 yrs?

no issues whatsoever yet...and yes I bought the maitenance plan, doesnt cover the minor oil changes but does the major services, well worth it!

HondaKid
11-18-2009, 09:15 PM
When I owned a 5 series BMW a few years back, it was nearly impossible to find a BMW mechanic or service manager who owned a BMW. After dropping a few grand in repairs over a two year period I thought I too had better buy a Japanese car. I really loved the car and would buy another, an M series only though.

I would buy in the USA, Canada has jacked the prices and when comparing to the USA I wonder why everyone does not shop for a car in Montana.

Graham_A_M
11-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I actually prefer BMW over Audi.... but the BMW salesmen & service suck so bad compared to Audi's.

If it was me, I would just go with an Audi and all together avoid the hassle and headaches that a new BMW will undoubtedly bring.

Yeah, trust me I know. I detest Calgary BMW & the BMW Gallery.
If something HUGE goes wrong that non-dealerships can't fix Im having the car flatbedded up to Edmonton.

The thing is about Audi (& VW and Porsche) is that they really dont like any work being done on their cars that isn't performed at the dealership. As a result anything more complex then brake jobs & oil changes typically involved a lot of speciality tools.
So, I dont know if you're planning on doing your work after the warranty is up (if you keep it that long that is) but its something to consider.

integra_vate
11-19-2009, 12:27 AM

no issues whatsoever yet...and yes I bought the maitenance plan, doesnt cover the minor oil changes but does the major services, well worth it!

Thats odd the salesman told me the 750 plan includes fully synthetic oil changes every 15K first 8K free on all new purchases.

2002civic
11-19-2009, 10:06 AM

Thats odd the salesman told me the 750 plan includes fully synthetic oil changes every 15K first 8K free on all new purchases.

ya but would you leave your oil in for 15 000 after that? I wouldn't...I would rather pay the 100 bucks and get the oil changed every 8k

integra_vate
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM

ya but would you leave your oil in for 15 000 after that? I wouldn't...I would rather pay the 100 bucks and get the oil changed every 8k

well he said 15K or 6 months and he only said 15K because its using synthetic. I dont know the real consequences here because I'm coming from owning only Acura's and I do the change at the 6-8K standard reg oil. Can someone confirm this because I'm on the assumption 15K on synthetic doesn't sound unreasonable as well I wouldn't see why the dealer would suggest anything that could harm your car when its as simple as an oil change. But changing it more often doesn't hurt and if needed I would take your advice on that.

Skyline_Addict
11-19-2009, 12:33 PM
adding to mercedes to the mix, how're they as far as negotiating prices and servicing?

max_boost
11-19-2009, 01:44 PM
^
Depends on make and model.

Service, min. $300+every 15,000kms.

My 1st service was $300
2nd service was $700

Everything is computerized, they plug your car into their machine and whatever is recommended is what they will do and you just have to pay haha Going to pay the service bill is a surprise every time. It definitely isn't like Honda or Subaru where you can bring it to any shop to get maintenance done haha Which is also why BMW's are so popular, no charged schedule maintenance FTW and wicked lease rates. No wonder there are so many on the road :D

benyl
11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
BMWs residual have gone down significantly. They aren't a great deal anymore. Even with low interest rates, a lease on a 335 that is loaded is approaching or over $1K / month.

Dope7
11-20-2009, 12:06 AM
ofcourse BMW!!!! AUDI is VW=Gay. :poosie: haha jk:D

Xtrema
11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by benyl
BMWs residual have gone down significantly. They aren't a great deal anymore. Even with low interest rates, a lease on a 335 that is loaded is approaching or over $1K / month.

It's not only BMW. It's all makes.

Manufacturers and dealers got burn setting residual before the $cdn's reach for par. Now they all set it low. Friend went in try to lease a new Sienna which is exactly the same as his old one but residual was $4K lower which add extra ~$100/mth to the lease price.

Danny Meehan
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
BMW seem to be gving discounts out the ass lately. I remember back in 2000, we only got 2% off a 323ci, then in 2006 we got 3% off a 325i, in 2008 we managed a wopping 20.6% off a 2007 Z4M, and just this year we managed to get 4% off a Custom ordered 2010 135i delivered just a few weeks ago. They must be desperate to sell some cars now.
I find 10 percent off is reasonable when buying a car. 20 reminds me of americans last year, particularly Chrysler when they were selling their SRT8s

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
adding to mercedes to the mix, how're they as far as negotiating prices and servicing?
In the spring, they would not budge off the price.

To answer OP : after warranty, Audi can be a nuissance. During warranty, you will get treated poorly by BMW in Calgary. solution : extended warranty in first case or Edmonton service in the last if you insist on getting it.

If financing, cover a bigger part with cash, as the rates are not too attractive.

Aleks
11-20-2009, 12:36 PM

It's not only BMW. It's all makes.

Manufacturers and dealers got burn setting residual before the $cdn's reach for par. Now they all set it low. Friend went in try to lease a new Sienna which is exactly the same as his old one but residual was $4K lower which add extra ~$100/mth to the lease price.

Residual on my car is 73% :rofl: I've never seen one that high anywhere before.