PDA

View Full Version : Need a GP for 1 month job shadow (reward)

Swank
11-17-2009, 04:38 PM
My g/f is in her 3rd year of med school and part of the program offers the chance to work with a GP (ie family doctor) in a clinic for a month. I need your help to find one willing to have her work with them. We haven't had any luck with our family doctors, so I thought if any of you had any friends or family members who are GPs you might be able to see if they would be interested in helping her out.

She'd be helping with basic duties like taking patient histories and giving physicals, but the other objective is to learn clinical duties (which is part of this year's curriculum). The GP is given a very simple outline of the objectives and there is a simple evaluation to fill out at the end.

The available dates are Feb 2-27 (first choice) and March 30-April 30 (with a 1 week break). Prefer a clinic in the NE (save the played out NE remarks for another thread) but anywhere in Calgary will do.

If you are able to help her out and she takes the job with your GP, you not only get to feel good about yourself for helping someone, but I'm also offering a reward of $50 for your efforts.

Also, if anyone can recommend how we could find more GPs to talk to about this without cold calling like a telemarketer that would be good too.

nodoubtt
11-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Doesn' the school itself organize shadowing for students as part of the med program? At least they do here at U of A, I'd assume its the same at U of C

travism91
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Are you sure the school(assuming it's the UofC faculty of medicine) doesn't organize it? If that were true, im going to be angry when i reach 3rd year med.

Swank
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Yes, the school will do it but that's a last resort as she would prefer to be able to work in a Calgary/hometown clinic. She's not in med school here :(

Thanks for the responses so far, keep 'em coming! Calgary needs more docs!!!

cooperS
11-19-2009, 02:28 PM
you can try Dr. Lam's clinic. They are located by Westbrook Mall at SW tho. Quite busy place and always short of staff. The office is expanding too. He is a very nice guy to give chance to younger people.

403-246-7788

Kritafo
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by cooperS
you can try Dr. Lam's clinic. They are located by Westbrook Mall at SW tho. Quite busy place and always short of staff. The office is expanding too. He is a very nice guy to give chance to younger people.

403-246-7788

Dr Lam +1 he always has students he has been our family Dr for 19 years...he is the best love him, he is supper nice it's always busy. I think any of the Dr.'s there may use students.

I would definitely try him.