PDA

View Full Version : So I was at Popeye's today...



buh_buh
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Picking up some more whey, and I came across a new type of whey that ON has. I've always used the 100% Gold Standard or whatever, but this new one is called Platinum Hydrowhey. I asked the guy at the front what the difference was, and it was clear he was talking out of his ass when he said basically there's casein in it, but right beside the Platinum was ON's casein protein. He told me the Platinum is for before bed, but I figured it would be strange for ON to make 2 types of before bed wheys. So does anyone know what this Platinum Hydrowhey is and what the difference is between the regular Gold Standard stuff?

liquidboi69
11-17-2009, 07:12 PM
It just has more isolates/"higher grade protein," and less concentrate. Not worth the money imo. You're better off just taking in more concentrate with that money

B69
11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Picking up some more whey, and I came across a new type of whey that ON has. I've always used the 100% Gold Standard or whatever, but this new one is called Platinum Hydrowhey. I asked the guy at the front what the difference was, and it was clear he was talking out of his ass when he said basically there's casein in it, but right beside the Platinum was ON's casein protein. He told me the Platinum is for before bed, but I figured it would be strange for ON to make 2 types of before bed wheys. So does anyone know what this Platinum Hydrowhey is and what the difference is between the regular Gold Standard stuff?


Before you trash talk people who work at Popeyes, just remember they work there for a reason and you don't.

buh_buh
11-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks liquidboi. I didn't check the price, but I just assumed they were the same price. So its essentially more "stuff" that's not whey?



Originally posted by B69



Before you trash talk people who work at Popeyes, just remember they work there for a reason and you don't.

I wasn't trashing the guy. I'm just saying he couldn've easily just have said he didn't know instead of making some bs up about a product they sell I was asking information about. Or it could be that I have a university education and don't want to work at Popeye's. If the internet is hurting your feelings, you should probably stop using it.

colinxx235
11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by B69



Before you trash talk people who work at Popeyes, just remember they work there for a reason and you don't.


because they don't have an education and can't get a job making more than 15/hour??

Speed_69
11-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

I wasn't trashing the guy. I'm just saying he couldn've easily just have said he didn't know instead of making some bs up about a product they sell I was asking information about. Or it could be that I have a university education and don't want to work at Popeye's. If the internet is hurting your feelings, you should probably stop using it.
:werd: I'd rather have a sales rep say to me straight up that they don't know the difference instead of feed me some BS. It's not like I expect them to know about every single damn supplement in the store.

7thgenvic
11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Thanks liquidboi. I didn't check the price, but I just assumed they were the same price. So its essentially more "stuff" that's not whey?




I wasn't trashing the guy. I'm just saying he couldn've easily just have said he didn't know instead of making some bs up about a product they sell I was asking information about. Or it could be that I have a university education and don't want to work at Popeye's. If the internet is hurting your feelings, you should probably stop using it.

quit trying to get ripped like me! :) Usually those juice monkey's know their shit! What other products are you using?

liquidboi69
11-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Thanks liquidboi. I didn't check the price, but I just assumed they were the same price. So its essentially more "stuff" that's not whey?
No concentrate and isolate are just different grades of protein extracts.

Isolate is more pure (~90-95%) while concentrate is a bit less (~75-85%.) That is why the hydrowhey has 30g/serving while normal ON GOLD'S isolate/concentrate/peptide combo has a bit less.

They say the isolate's hydrolyzed, so you can absorb it faster (which is BS imo...it's a marketing scheme and no one can tell the difference.)

People prefer isolate because #1 they like having the "best" protein that is theoretically the most "biologically valuble" aka it can be absorbed the easiest. #2because some people have digestion issues and isolate seems to be better for them.

However, the prices between normal GOLD and PLATINUM ON is not worth it. Even if you factor in bioavaliability, and the higher % extract...you'll get more protein in you/$ with concentrate probably.

EDIT: Just looked it up and it looks like platinum's serving size is larger than gold's...so that may be one of the big reasons why the protein/serving is higher.

jcollings
11-17-2009, 09:58 PM
surprised the guy was "talking out of his ass" as you say..... usually the people working there are really good.

Jlude
11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by B69



Before you trash talk people who work at Popeyes, just remember they work there for a reason and you don't.

wow... you're a sensitive fella :rofl: :rofl:

Did you have a tough day working at popeyes?

colinxx235
11-17-2009, 10:25 PM
and the dude above you just joined today to make that post... I think op touched a few hearts

1-Bar
11-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic


quit trying to get ripped like me! :) Usually those juice monkey's know their shit! What other products are you using?

When you're 6'0" and 140lbs soaking wet, yeah you'd be ripped whether you work out or not.....:rofl:

dandia89
11-17-2009, 11:16 PM
i can't speak for popeyes, but i definitely know the people at GNC know shit all about what they are talkinga bout.

Jeremiah
11-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Damn i thought this thread was about chicken

http://hdiddydollar.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/chickenplate.jpg

Jlude
11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
Damn i thought this thread was about chicken

http://hdiddydollar.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/chickenplate.jpg


I thought so too. I was expecting to see a picture of some weird american or something at a popeyes restaurant.

buh_buh
11-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic


quit trying to get ripped like me! :) Usually those juice monkey's know their shit! What other products are you using?
I used to use a ton of supplements, but I stopped everything except protein and glutamine a few years ago just because I didn't want to put tons of chemicals in my body and didn't know whether there would be any long term side effects. And I'm not exactly trying to be the next Arnold or anything. I'm just trying to stay in shape to play sports.


Originally posted by jcollings
surprised the guy was "talking out of his ass" as you say..... usually the people working there are really good.
To be fair, I've had nothing but good experiences at any Popeye's location, so today was definitely an anomaly. But I could tell right away he didn't really know what he was talking about just by the way he answered the question, so its not like I took some bad advice or anything. Just wondering what the difference is between this new magical whey and what I'm used to taking.

Thanks liquidboi69. I think I'll be sticking with the regular stuff. I don't need any gimmicky fancy pants whey. But now that I know the ON casein is available in Canada now I'll switch from Syntha6 to that for my night time protein.

Disoblige
11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
Damn i thought this thread was about chicken

http://hdiddydollar.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/chickenplate.jpg

Hey, I never tried Popeye's before. How does that flaky looking skin taste? How would you compare to KFC?




Funny thing is that I'm serious. :rofl:

Jeremiah
11-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige


Hey, I never tried Popeye's before. How does that flaky looking skin taste? How would you compare to KFC?




Funny thing is that I'm serious. :rofl:

:hijack:

I'm the biggest Popeyes Fanboy in the world, so asking me would be a totally biased opinion.

I've only every had Popeyes in the states as there are limited locations in Canada. (one in BC and a couple in Ontario). There are tons of KFC's in Calgary, and since I tried Popeyes a good 3 years ago, I find no reason to waste money on KFC...

JJLuke
11-18-2009, 01:23 AM
To drift this thread off even further, I'm planning to order some protein from supplements canada (the online retailer of popeyes) and I was looking to see if anyone would be interested in getting a 5lb Dymatize Vanilla Elite whey from me. I need to order over $100 to get free shipping and whatnot. It's $54.99 for one and $39.99 for the second, so I figure $45 tax in should be incentive enough to sell a 5lb container to someone.

I've still got like 4.5lbs left in my current container and another 10lbs would be a bit overkill for now, but just throwing it out there to see if anyone is interested in picking up some.

http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product5261.html

pm if interested - mods if this is inappropriate, please advise and I will start a thread or put in marketplace, thanks.

gatorade
11-18-2009, 01:26 AM
why do u guys gotta post those pics, it looks so fucking good and making me hungry

cjblair
11-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige


Hey, I never tried Popeye's before. How does that flaky looking skin taste? How would you compare to KFC?




Funny thing is that I'm serious. :rofl:

It. Is. Awesome.

Also, speaking of American fried chicken restaurants, Church's is very good too.:hijack:

2EFNFAST
11-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by JJLuke
To drift this thread off even further, I'm planning to order some protein from supplements canada (the online retailer of popeyes) and I was looking to see if anyone would be interested in getting a 5lb Dymatize Vanilla Elite whey from me. I need to order over $100 to get free shipping and whatnot. It's $54.99 for one and $39.99 for the second, so I figure $45 tax in should be incentive enough to sell a 5lb container to someone.

I've still got like 4.5lbs left in my current container and another 10lbs would be a bit overkill for now, but just throwing it out there to see if anyone is interested in picking up some.

http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product5261.html

pm if interested - mods if this is inappropriate, please advise and I will start a thread or put in marketplace, thanks.

fyi, I think that's a ripoff (the pricing) - if you're buying a lot of whey (like I do), you're better buying in bulk, not from a store, and not a "designer" name like ON.

Last 5yrs or so I've been buying from trueprotein.com (their cold filtration isolate). Very high quality, very recommended (as well as their other product lines) - $350usd for 50lbs of whey isolate (cold filtration); discount code alm999 for 5% off.

But that's JMO :angel:

1-Bar
11-18-2009, 09:25 AM
back on track man, I'll help you out homie......Platinum Hydrowhey apparently is hydrolized to help break down the protein for faster absorption. Has a little more protein per serving (30 vs. 24) and more BCCAs (8.8 vs 5.5). That's all I got...

Redlined_8000
11-18-2009, 12:38 PM
In order of absorption from slowest to fastest:

Micellular Casein
Whey Concentrate
Whey Isolate
Hydrolyzed Whey
Casein Hydroslate

Basically the faster the protein the faster/larger the blood amino spike is.

The theory behind that is the faster and larger "peak" of amino's you can create the bigger the message for protein synthesis there will be.

That's why pre-bed we want a Micellular Casein, or Whey Blend so there are amino's in the blood longer as we're not taking in more during sleep.

The new train of thought is to ingest around 12-15g of Casein Hydroslate as it's mostly already broken down into Bi and tri-peptides and absorbs really quick. Taking this 15-30min Before meals and DURING the workout is ideal.

Mind you to stir the pot there have been one or two studies showing Ordinary Whey isolate absorbing just as quick as Hydroslate.. So to each their own. But there are ton more studies showing Hydroslate being quicker.

It's all about trial and error in this game :)

sputnik
11-18-2009, 12:56 PM
If you are so obsessed with casein protein.... don't buy some expensive whey... drink a glass of milk instead.

GQBalla
11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST


fyi, I think that's a ripoff (the pricing) - if you're buying a lot of whey (like I do), you're better buying in bulk, not from a store, and not a "designer" name like ON.

Last 5yrs or so I've been buying from trueprotein.com (their cold filtration isolate). Very high quality, very recommended (as well as their other product lines) - $350usd for 50lbs of whey isolate (cold filtration); discount code alm999 for 5% off.

But that's JMO :angel:

werd, just put in my order to trueprotein.com today.

16 lbs for 165 canadian shipped.

good price.