PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher to drive for Brawn in Merc?

Xtrema
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=245158

RickDaTuner
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
wow Ferrari would be super pissed.... I wonder if they would go as far as take away his FXX... lol

cloud7
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Now that Button is signed with McLaren, anything can happen.

redmethods
11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't think it will ever happen. But I would love to see Hamilton & Schumacher fight it out on the track.:guns:

Mibz
11-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Not a chance in hell.

buh_buh
11-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I think there's a slight chance in hell. But only slightly more than Schumacher vs. Hamilton in a McLaren.

Schumacher-Rosberg would make a better Team Germany than Heidfeld-Rosberg.

rage2
11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I hate Michael Schumacher.
I love Mercedes Benz.
I dunno what I would do if that happened.

buh_buh
11-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Schumi to MB is probably as likely as this:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgloboesporte.globo.com%2FEsportes%2FNoticias%2FFormula_1%2F0%2C%2CMUL1384006-15011%2C00-KIMI%2BRAIKKONEN%2BACERTA%2BCOM%2BA%2BMERCEDES.html&lp=pt_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Original source:

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esportes/Noticias/Formula_1/0,,MUL1384006-15011,00-KIMI+RAIKKONEN+ACERTA+COM+A+MERCEDES.html

This won't happen, but I'm still thinking of MB in terms of Honda. I would love to see Kimi in a Honda... I mean MB though.

edit: This is the guy that broke Rubens to Williams and Crashgate, so maybe this has some weight to it. But Piquet and Rubens are both Brazilian, so I'm still thinking it doesn't.

Eleanor
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I hate Michael Schumacher. Just curious, why?

buh_buh
11-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Here's 2 reasons

oQC_LQI1Aiw
CgfuoSFerDU

Team_Mclaren
11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
I hate Michael Schumacher.
I love Mercedes Benz.
I dunno what I would do if that happened.

NOW you know how i fucking feel with Button going to Mclaren:cry: :cry:

AaronK
11-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Schumacher was the best F1 driver in the history of the sport....

Team_Mclaren
11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by AaronK
Schumacher was the best F1 driver in the history of the sport....

successful? yes

and he's done so bycheating his way through it.

scary_perry
11-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=245158

Button is confirmed at Silver Arrow next year, no ???

[edit] nvm - damn he was only asking for $6mil - Merc could have had the #1.

Brawn/Merc will be back of the field next year. Branson had to give them operating cash just to compete, I doubt they did any 2010 car development.

Ferrari and McLaren/Kia will be the class of the field next year. They will bring serious hurt from race one to the other teams. They put many dollars into the new cars. No one else can compete with that.

Team_Mclaren
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
^^

Branson has fuck all to do with Brawn, btw he's leaving Brawn to sponsor iirc Manor

Toyota put even more money into their F1 program than Mclaren/Ferrari. See where they are at now?

wtf is with Kia?

rage2
11-18-2009, 11:43 PM
When Senna died, I started cheering for a young talent. His name was Michael Schumacher. I even switched to smoking Mild Seven, the brand that sponsored Michael Schumacher's Benetton.

Then, reason #1 from buh_buh, 1994 Adelaide happened. OK, so Senna's done some sketchy stuff too (mostly for revenge), not too bad right? Then Michael Schumacher shrugged it off like it was nothing. Made up excuses. Denied it. Hated him ever since.

Reason #2 from buh_buh sealed it in 1997 Jerez. I was cheering for Villeneuve back then.

My hatred for MS is so extreme that a few years ago I went to Montreal's F1 race with a bunch of friends who were Ferrari fans. The VIP Ferrari tickets had a chance to meet MS. Paid $4k for these tickets. When my chance came, I was going to sacrafice getting booted out for the rest of the weekend by refusing to shake his hand and tell him how I'll never forget Adelaide '94. MS never showed up.

AaronK
11-19-2009, 12:08 AM
When Senna died, I started cheering for a young talent. His name was Michael Schumacher. I even switched to smoking Mild Seven, the brand that sponsored Michael Schumacher's Benetton.

Then, reason #1 from buh_buh, 1994 Adelaide happened. OK, so Senna's done some sketchy stuff too (mostly for revenge), not too bad right? Then Michael Schumacher shrugged it off like it was nothing. Made up excuses. Denied it. Hated him ever since.

Reason #2 from buh_buh sealed it in 1997 Jerez. I was cheering for Villeneuve back then.

My hatred for MS is so extreme that a few years ago I went to Montreal's F1 race with a bunch of friends who were Ferrari fans. The VIP Ferrari tickets had a chance to meet MS. Paid $4k for these tickets. When my chance came, I was going to sacrafice getting booted out for the rest of the weekend by refusing to shake his hand and tell him how I'll never forget Adelaide '94. MS never showed up.

i lol'd @ your hatred

i grew up being a schumacher fan because my dad was, and i have met him a few times in montreal, and he was a really nice guy. I also met Hamilton and he was a great guy. I personally dont dislike anyone in the sport, but my favorite racer ever will always be schumacher.

He is the most talented driver in the history of the sport, and I wouldnt call it cheating the fact that he raced for the best team in the league.

diamondedge
11-19-2009, 12:32 AM

i lol'd @ your hatred

i grew up being a schumacher fan because my dad was, and i have met him a few times in montreal, and he was a really nice guy. I also met Hamilton and he was a great guy. I personally dont dislike anyone in the sport, but my favorite racer ever will always be schumacher.

He is the most talented driver in the history of the sport, and I wouldnt call it cheating the fact that he raced for the best team in the league.

I grew up hating Schumi because my dad did. I was too young to know why he hated him so much. When I saw what happened in Jerez. I was old enough to understand why my dad hated him so much.

We all know Schumi and Brawn have had close ties, but Brawn is a pretty smart guy. Why would he put someone in who hasn't raced in a while? No, not even for the press.

scary_perry
11-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^^

Branson has fuck all to do with Brawn, btw he's leaving Brawn to sponsor iirc Manor

Toyota put even more money into their F1 program than Mclaren/Ferrari. See where they are at now?

wtf is with Kia?

Branson = Virgin = Brawn sponsor no? Without his bucks at the beginning of the year Russ didn't even have enough to cover transportation.

Toyota are where Honda was. That little Honda chassis did pretty good this year. Toyota is taking their development to the grave because they don't want to be embarrassed like Honda was. We'll never know if their next car would have been any good.

Kia = shit just like Ron Dennis' cars (track or road).

Button going to Mclaren = Alonso WC next season. Button and Lewis will split 8-9 wins next year. Alonso will win the rest. He'll be champ by a margin of 15-20 points.

Brawn/Merc is going to fall off the face of the planet this next season.

scary_perry
11-19-2009, 12:43 AM

i lol'd @ your hatred

Schumi is the best - fuck anyone that says different.

F1 is cut-throat. Only the best gets to the top. The rest are just dilettantes. Every generation there are 3-4 alphas - and he was an order of magnitude better than the rest.

He did like two drives in a Jordan and the whole fucking world was lining up to sign him. It was fucking hysteria.

Lots of people have had shots and never took it. He got the good drives because he was the big swinging cock when he had to be.

Mercedes pushed him form day one. He owes them more than he owes Ferrari. If he drives next year it will be 100% for marketing reasons and to repay the outfit that gave him his first real contract, bought his seat at Jordan etc.

scary_perry
11-19-2009, 12:49 AM
... and Damon Hill was a zero BTW.

He had an F1a car the years everyone else had F1b cars. Good on Williams for showing all the stupid bastards engineering at the other teams at the time how to make a proper car. Damon and Jack were never in the same league as Michael and their later results prove it. Even Frank said they made a mess out of the championships in years that Micheal should not have even been close.

I love that Michael did what he did to those palookas. Senna and Prost did the same shit to each other.

Team_Mclaren
11-19-2009, 01:16 AM
LOL@ scary_perry

you need to get all your facts straight before you come here claiming shit.

buh_buh
11-19-2009, 01:58 AM
:rofl: @ the Schumi handjobs that are being handed out.
Schumacher may be the best of all time statistically, but to say he's the most talented of all time is laughable. He had the benefit of driving in an era where he had no competitors. If Senna hadn't died, Schumacher wouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Senna. The years Schumacher was dominant he was racing the likes of Ralf, DC, and the talentless Hill you speak of. Senna won his titles against Prost, Mansell and Piquet.

AaronK
11-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Here's 2 reasons

oQC_LQI1Aiw
CgfuoSFerDU

If you are trying to say that in the first video Schumacher was in the wrong for cutting in on the corner, and that Hill did nothing wrong. What are you trying to say in the second one?

In the second one the roles are reversed, Schumacher is the one on the outside who does the same thing as Hill. How can you try and blame Schumacher for both? You are contradicting yourself.

rage2
11-19-2009, 11:31 AM
If you are trying to say that in the first video Schumacher was in the wrong for cutting in on the corner, and that Hill did nothing wrong. What are you trying to say in the second one?

In the second one the roles are reversed, Schumacher is the one on the outside who does the same thing as Hill. How can you try and blame Schumacher for both? You are contradicting yourself.
I hope you didn't just start watching F1.

Video 1. Schumacher crashes. Drives uber slow on the track. His race is over but decides to stay on the track. Hill is stuck behind Schumacher, drives around him. Schumacher turns well into hill to take him out, breaks his suspension. Stands around waiting for Hill to come back. After 2 laps realized Hill is out so he wins the championship. Starts celebrating at the crash site.

Video 2. Schumacher is having problems and is slowing down. Villeneuve catches up and goes on the inside. JV is ahead of MS going into the turn. Schumacher sees JV, natural reaction is to steer left to get out of the way which he does. Then all of a sudden he decides to ram JV by turning right sharply. Schumacher fails to damage the Williams enough, and ends up in the kitty litter. JV wins the championship.

In the first case, Williams (after Senna had died) decided not to protest out of respect.

In the second case, no protest was required, but all drivers were warned that taking anyone out for the sake of the championship will result in penalties. MS was DSQ'd from the 1997 results.

Blaming schumacher for both is obvious. He rammed both opponents in a championship deciding race with the ultimate goal of winning the championship. Nuff said.

Ferrari wasn't innocent in 97 either... they ordered Sauber (who were using Ferrari engines) to block JV at all costs because they knew the Williams was the faster car that day and would beat MS in a fair fight. It took half a lap for JV to lap the Sauber backmarker that day, with the Sauber cutting across and almost taking out JV. Cost him nearly 3 seconds that lap.

Don't get me wrong, Michael Schumacher is talented. Definately better than Hill, definately better than Villeneuve, and Hakkinen. Even in his last year, he parked his car at Monaco to fuck over Alonso and got penalized for it. He did not need to do any of this to win his championships. Some things never change.

scary_perry
11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
:rofl: @ the Schumi handjobs that are being handed out.
Schumacher may be the best of all time statistically, but to say he's the most talented of all time is laughable. He had the benefit of driving in an era where he had no competitors. If Senna hadn't died, Schumacher wouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Senna. The years Schumacher was dominant he was racing the likes of Ralf, DC, and the talentless Hill you speak of. Senna won his titles against Prost, Mansell and Piquet.

Senna was on the decline when he died. Driver aids extended guys like Prost and Senna. Take away driver aids and Prost retires, Senna dies taking a corner too fast on cold tires w/o active suspension and traction control.

Williams won with autopilot cars - all within rules and they were best good for them.

Schumi was competitive against them with a car that had practically no drivers aids. If you recall in-cockpit footage from those days, Prost looked like he was driving a Caddy to the golf course and Schumi was fighting his car like a motherfucker.

Anyone knowledgeable in the sport will tell you that the fact there seemingly was no competition for Schumi confirms how good he was. It's not like a whole generation of drivers took a decade off to make him look good.

His brain farts and cluster fucks are part of the appeal. He was win at all costs guy. So go back to your Andrea de Casaris and Minardi fan clubs.

scary_perry
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
LOL@ scary_perry

you need to get all your facts straight before you come here claiming shit.

Totally useless post that adds nothing to the discussion - must be a mod.

scary_perry
11-19-2009, 06:34 PM

I hope you didn't just start watching F1.

Video 1. Schumacher crashes. Drives uber slow on the track. His race is over but decides to stay on the track. Hill is stuck behind Schumacher, drives around him. Schumacher turns well into hill to take him out, breaks his suspension. Stands around waiting for Hill to come back. After 2 laps realized Hill is out so he wins the championship. Starts celebrating at the crash site.

Video 2. Schumacher is having problems and is slowing down. Villeneuve catches up and goes on the inside. JV is ahead of MS going into the turn. Schumacher sees JV, natural reaction is to steer left to get out of the way which he does. Then all of a sudden he decides to ram JV by turning right sharply. Schumacher fails to damage the Williams enough, and ends up in the kitty litter. JV wins the championship.

In the first case, Williams (after Senna had died) decided not to protest out of respect.

In the second case, no protest was required, but all drivers were warned that taking anyone out for the sake of the championship will result in penalties. MS was DSQ'd from the 1997 results.

Blaming schumacher for both is obvious. He rammed both opponents in a championship deciding race with the ultimate goal of winning the championship. Nuff said.

Ferrari wasn't innocent in 97 either... they ordered Sauber (who were using Ferrari engines) to block JV at all costs because they knew the Williams was the faster car that day and would beat MS in a fair fight. It took half a lap for JV to lap the Sauber backmarker that day, with the Sauber cutting across and almost taking out JV. Cost him nearly 3 seconds that lap.

Don't get me wrong, Michael Schumacher is talented. Definately better than Hill, definately better than Villeneuve, and Hakkinen. Even in his last year, he parked his car at Monaco to fuck over Alonso and got penalized for it. He did not need to do any of this to win his championships. Some things never change.

I agree with your assessment, as would any rational person. But MS was not the only scumbag to win a championship - look at what Jody Schekter did to Gilles Villeneuve.

You can't argue the facts of his career and his accomplishments. In that regard he is the best ever, and will take some beating.

As for his character? Who cares? Half the grid would have done the same thing in those circumstances.

rage2
11-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by scary_perry
Senna was on the decline when he died. Driver aids extended guys like Prost and Senna. Take away driver aids and Prost retires, Senna dies taking a corner too fast on cold tires w/o active suspension and traction control.

Williams won with autopilot cars - all within rules and they were best good for them.

Schumi was competitive against them with a car that had practically no drivers aids. If you recall in-cockpit footage from those days, Prost looked like he was driving a Caddy to the golf course and Schumi was fighting his car like a motherfucker.

Anyone knowledgeable in the sport will tell you that the fact there seemingly was no competition for Schumi confirms how good he was. It's not like a whole generation of drivers took a decade off to make him look good.

His brain farts and cluster fucks are part of the appeal. He was win at all costs guy. So go back to your Andrea de Casaris and Minardi fan clubs.
Your post just goes to show that you know absolutely nothing about F1.

Senna on the decline and sucked when there was no TC and ABS? Senna outqualified teammate Hill by almost 2 seconds the first race with no driver aids. He was ahead of MS and lost to him in the pitstops. Oh right, Benetton got busted for cheating, they removed a filter in the fuel rig to allow them to shave a second or 2 in refuelling time. They also busted them for having TC and LC hidden in the ECU later on.

In the race, Senna LAPPED his teammate in the same car, outqualifying him in the next 2 races by over 1/2 a sec before his death, which was attributed to a mechanical failure. That sure shows a driver on the decline. :rolleyes:

As for the autopilot eras, Williams was the only team that figured it out and mastered it. Senna was in a McLaren that was underpowered and handled poorly, and was driving on a race by race basis because he felt the car was shit. And he still hauled that POS to a few wins.

As for his character? Who cares? Half the grid would have done the same thing in those circumstances.
No they wouldn't have, and there's been some close championships where the opportunity was there.

rage2
11-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with your assessment, as would any rational person. But MS was not the only scumbag to win a championship - look at what Jody Schekter did to Gilles Villeneuve.
Totally missed this... how is this even comparable?? Villeneuve lost the championship to Scheckter because Villeneuve was loyal to Ferrari and followed Ferrari team orders.

scary_perry
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Totally missed this... how is this even comparable?? Villeneuve lost the championship to Scheckter because Villeneuve was loyal to Ferrari and followed Ferrari team orders.

Yeah, you are right. I just remember being mad about the final result.

Regardless. My point is that there are lots of scumbags in F1 - ad in the history of the sport there are lots of occasions when sporting conventions were not followed (fixing races, blocking tactics to secure next year's drive or smashing folks off the track) you can argue that all you want.

As for Senna being faster than Hill... at one point in his career Hill was seen a as good replacement for Giovanna Amati. Enough said? He got his drive at Williams because he was a clear number two - the other drivers they had would have competed too much with Prost or Senna.

Hill won a championship when his car was much better than everything else on the track. When he had a crap car, he got crap results.

Schumi got good results period (like Senna) - and because of that eventually he got the good cars.

Senna was 34 when he died. He had 2-3 years left of competitive racing. He would have finished with 55-60 wins.

Xtrema
11-20-2009, 02:30 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8371097.stm

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5706009,00.html

95EagleAWD
11-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I can't see that happening... Schumi's still a tech consultant to Ferrari.

Roaring G60
11-20-2009, 11:38 PM
As a side note, Schumi is currently in Vegas at a top level karting event. other notable attendee's; Seb Buemi, Nelson piquet Jr. as several current kart world champions.http://actionarmada.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Vegas-Day-3-110-580x386.jpg

scary_perry
11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
I could see it happening because:
- Merc paid for his ride when he started
- Ferrari are not the same without Brawn and Todt
- Does Schumi like Alonso?
- Going to Merc has mega marketing value (the team won't compete for wins)
- he would like to win 100

I could not see it happening because:
- win ratio will come down he likes being in the same class as Prost and Senna
- he will test the car and get a sense for whether it can win or not
- he can always come back later when Merc has an MP4/4-esque or FW15c-esque world beater (maybe next, next year??)

Smartiepants
11-21-2009, 07:01 PM
It's a brilliant move for Brawn if they get him in, I'd think sponsorships selling would be much easier.

Zephyr
11-23-2009, 02:58 AM
Not happening:
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091123090811.shtml

Ross Brawn has shot down intensifying speculation that Michael Schumacher is set to return to Formula One in 2010.

Brawn, who was Ferrari's technical director throughout Schumacher's ultra-successful career with the Italian team, is now the team principal of Mercedes Grand Prix.

Rumours linking Schumacher with the recently renamed team continued to grow over the weekend, when his manager Willi Weber confirmed a meeting in Abu Dhabi three weeks ago between the 40-year-old, Brawn and Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche.

However, when asked about the speculation by Bild, Brawn replied: "There's nothing to it except a dream of the media.

"Michael would have come back temporarily for Ferrari, but he doesn't want to start a new career," said the Briton.
Click here to find out more!

Schumacher's manager Weber said the German often speaks with Brawn, but added that the seven time world champion "has not said anything to me personally about contact with Mercedes over a driver's contract".

Meanwhile, confirmation of Nico Rosberg's move to Mercedes is edging nearer, with both sides now alluding to a deal. It is an open secret that the 24-year-old German has inked a contract to race with the Brackley-based team.

“I cannot tell you yet, my desire is to have two experienced drivers,” Brawn told Bild. "After four years in Formula One, I would count Nico Rosberg as an experienced driver."

Alpine Autowerks
11-24-2009, 08:05 AM

MS had no appeal his "win and all costs" attitude was taken to a DISGUSTING extreme that took:
- the support of contractually obligated #2 driver
- the teams technical cheating
-the always suspected and now exposed support of the series rule makers
- the support of stewards ( remember Montoya getting penalized for passing MS on the outside)

and yet he still had to use his vehicle as weapon when all of the above still left his championship in jeopardy at the last race of the year at least 3 times

buh_buh
12-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Might be happening again:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/80554

DJ Lazy
12-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Might be happening again:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/80554

Kinda surprised that his neck has gotten THAT much better where now he can drive... Has he even been testing since last time to see if his neck is strong enough yet?

buh_buh
12-13-2009, 02:26 AM
his neck not being strong enough was partially due to his motorcycle accident, not just from being out of F1 for so long. So I'm assuming his neck has healed over the past 4 months.

AFAIK he has not participated in any offseason testing so far, only rookies tested in Jerez.

95teetee
12-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Here's 2 reasons

CgfuoSFerDU that's no reason to hate him- he put himself out of the race. That was awesome. I remember that moment very well. I'd hate him more if his bad move had worked in his favour.

I didn't watch much F1 after this period (I quit watching open wheel racing after Greg Moore's death) but I remember this being one of my all-time favorite MS moments:)

Much better than when his teammate would have to pull over and give him the position. Oh wait, those team orders never existed (lol)

Chris Elyea
12-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee
that's no reason to hate him- he put himself out of the race. That was awesome. I remember that moment very well. I'd hate him more if his bad move had worked in his favour.

I didn't watch much F1 after this period (I quit watching open wheel racing after Greg Moore's death) but I remember this being one of my all-time favorite MS moments:)

Much better than when his teammate would have to pull over and give him the position. Oh wait, those team orders never existed (lol) I can still hate him for trying, even if it didn't work that time. Certainly I do! Too bad he's so damn good that I still have to admire his driving....

Yeah, I've quit watching racing several times after fatal accidents out of grief and guilt that people are giving their lives for my entertainment. At the very least, we owe it to them not to forget them. Wikipedia has a page to help us remember. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Racecar_drivers_killed_while_racing)

Here's a change that the FIA should bring in: Acknowledge that team orders exist and that they're okay. Every time a team's drivers switch places during the pit stop cycle, I have to wonder. Another reason to hate MS, even though it was really Ferrari's call.

bart
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
if he doesn't go to Mercedes, Kubica will now that Renault has been sold