PDA

View Full Version : Do anti-theft measures really do anything nowadays?

2EFNFAST
11-19-2009, 03:12 AM
With how proficient criminals are, do any form of anti-theft measures really even work nowadays?

Devices like the club take 3seconds to remove.

Wheel locks take 3 seconds.

Even stuff like coded radios take like 3seconds to unlock (e.g., with GM radio, you call a 1800 number, enter a code your radio gives you, then enter the code the 1800 number tells you to enter and it works again)

Seems like anti-theft stuff does nothing more than stop incompetent thieves and piss off owners :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
11-19-2009, 03:21 AM
Those are all old technology, they worked 10 years ago. Now it's key fobs with special coding and engine immobilizers.

2EFNFAST
11-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Those are all old technology, they worked 10 years ago. Now it's key fobs with special coding and engine immobilizers.

thief w/ tow truck > * ;)

Sentry
11-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

thief w/ tow truck > * ;)
Alarm with tilt sensor, parking with your wheels turned to lock, and parking brake > thief with tow truck. ;)

Sentry
11-19-2009, 06:16 AM
IMO nothing beats a well thought out alarm install with built in kill relays. And a little common sense. Keeping valuables out of sight or not in the car at all, avoid sketchy areas when parking overnight, etc.

Of course your average under-dash install of a cheapo alarm by a Best Buy or something isn't going to protect jack.

sr20s14zenki
11-19-2009, 06:36 AM
I saw a pretty cool one on Daily Planet the other day. It needs to have the wrinkles ironed out, the method of shutdown is kinda gay if you ask me (interferes with engine temp sensor so it thinks its too hot and slowly shuts it down, the problem with this, is not every veichle uses that same system)

anyways, basically if its stolen, you send a text to a number you have in your phone (the units number) and it will tell you where the car is, using its built in gps, and then slowly bring the car to a stop. Pretty neat if you ask me. But yes, immobilizers and key fobs are great anti theft measures for sure.

revelations
11-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Anti theft measures still work great.

There are two types of criminals, opportunist and the professional.

Most fall into the opportunist (steal iPOD left VISIBLE on dash) category. These guys are generally deterred by AFTERMARKET alarms and clubs (too stupid do think and too lazy to actually work).

The pros (not so common) will take their time and get what they need - typically specialize in a particular make and model.

sputnik
11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

Alarm with tilt sensor, parking with your wheels turned to lock, and parking brake > thief with tow truck. ;)

:rofl:

Doesn't stop the tow operators towing cars from downtown on a daily basis.

Thaco
11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

2 words.

flat deck

nobody is going to question someone with a professional tow truck, even if the alarm is blaring... especially in these "economic times" it's a repo...

Thaco
11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Personally i use these

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320411772490&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i put 1-2 in each car, wire them up to a switch, or wire them so they come on when the car is turned off, it'll make the casual thief to bypass, and it's about $1... compared to $500 for an alarm.

my most recent one i wired the positive to 12v constant, and negative to the antenna power wire from my deck, so when the car is on, the antenna power wire is powered, which gives the light no ground, so it doesn't complete the circuit, then when the car is off, that wire switches to a ground wire, completing the circuit, and allowing the light to become active.

anybody that wants to get in is going to get in anyways, no point in spending my time and money to try to prevent the inevitable.

beyond_ban
11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

2 words.

flat deck

nobody is going to question someone with a professional tow truck, even if the alarm is blaring... especially in these "economic times" it's a repo...

**NOTE TO THEIVES: Print off City Wide towing decals and but an amber light to plaster on your tow truck/flat bed for unlimited free vehicles.**

cycosis
11-19-2009, 01:01 PM
^Wouldnt that be a fire risk because you have two power sources hitting eachother on one wire?

Thaco
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
^^ no.

scat19
11-19-2009, 01:09 PM
everything in this thread < insurance

Thaco
11-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by scat19
everything in this thread &lt; insurance

disagreed, my $1 LED is > paying a $500-$1000 insurance deductible for $100 worth of goods.

everybody in here is obviously going to have insurance, but 9 times out of 10, the goods stolen from a car prowling are not worth the deductible.

1-Bar
11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
keep valuables outta sight and maybe have a visible deterrent (be it alarm light, club...etc). IMO that's the best bet....have it look like you got nothing to steal and maybe if they tired it would take at least some mental effort...

2 cars parked next to each other, one with visible goods and not easily seen deterrent vs. one with no goods and a flashing alarm light.....ez choice for theif (hopefully)

R-Audi
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
On that same line of thinking.. I stay away from window tint!
If they can clearly see there isnt anything of value to steal.. why bother break in?

And if my car gets stolen.. I dont want it back. Somewhat feels like your girl cheated on you.. I wouldnt take her back either!

eglove
11-19-2009, 01:44 PM
i just take my steering wheel off, haha.

1-Bar
11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
On that same line of thinking.. I stay away from window tint!
If they can clearly see there isnt anything of value to steal.. why bother break in?

And if my car gets stolen.. I dont want it back. Somewhat feels like your girl cheated on you.. I wouldnt take her back either!

no doubt, if it gets stolen, keep it that way. Nothing like getting your whip back and not knowing what was done to it. I had a few friends that this happened to, sold their recovered vehicle ASAP....

scat19
11-19-2009, 03:02 PM

everybody in here is obviously going to have insurance, but 9 times out of 10, the goods stolen from a car prowling are not worth the deductible.

Nothing of value, or of value to a theif, should be in your car.

max_boost
11-19-2009, 03:04 PM
The only thing you need to do is leave valuables out of sight. And if they really want your car, they are going to get it anyway.

Thaco
11-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Nothing of value, or of value to a theif, should be in your car.

so am supposed to inconvenience myself by taking my GPS everywhere with me? where do you suggest i put it when i go in to a business meeting or a mall or whatever? i dont carry a man purse, so there's really no good way to take it with me.

and if you are going to suggest putting it out of sight, see my comment below.

Originally posted by max_boost
The only thing you need to do is leave valuables out of sight. And if they really want your car, they are going to get it anyway.

not always a good option, i had an xbox 360 in my trunk that i was going to return to the store, totally forgot about it, came out to my car the next day and it was gone, totally out of sight, nobody knew it was there until they popped the trunk.

also the glove box is the first place thieves look, because they know people want to keep things "out of sight" and the locks on glove boxes are totally useless.

i have since disconnected my trunk release from inside the car, so i put any valuables in there, so if they want it, they have to drill out my lock.

Thaco
11-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
2 cars parked next to each other, one with visible goods and not easily seen deterrent vs. one with no goods and a flashing alarm light.....ez choice for theif (hopefully)

exactly, if my $1 flashy light makes one would-be thief walk past my car, it was well worth it.

TYMSMNY
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM

so am supposed to inconvenience myself by taking my GPS everywhere with me? where do you suggest i put it when i go in to a business meeting or a mall or whatever? i dont carry a man purse, so there's really no good way to take it with me.

simple... buy a new car w/ built-in Navi. :D

I had some stuff in the back of a rental vehicle, Ford Escape. Tonneau cover on and yet the thieves broke in and stole it. Nothing in the front seat, nothing in the back seat. No signs of the break-in though... very odd.

scat19
11-19-2009, 04:19 PM

so am supposed to inconvenience myself by taking my GPS everywhere with me?

When is the last time you actually used your GPS? I think its funny all these people with them in their windows and they just have a moving map of their location. ooooo!

GQBalla
11-19-2009, 04:25 PM

When is the last time you actually used your GPS? I think its funny all these people with them in their windows and they just have a moving map of their location. ooooo!

lol i do that!

its cool to know where you are, another flashy thing that distracts me from the road to add to my stereotypical chinese driver abstract

Thaco
11-19-2009, 04:28 PM

When is the last time you actually used your GPS? I think its funny all these people with them in their windows and they just have a moving map of their location. ooooo! i dont often take it with me, but wehen i do use it, you are saying i should not leave it in the car at my destination, so i should carry it around with me while at a client's office or the mall or whatever?

scat19
11-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

lol i do that!

Shiney technology... :rofl: ;)

i dont often take it with me, but wehen i do use it, you are saying i should not leave it in the car at my destination, so i should carry it around with me while at a client's office or the mall or whatever?

Do you not have a laptop bag? I am cleary not going to win this and as my GPS fits in my pocket and it never stays in my car I can't think of a better solution for you.

Thaco
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Shiney technology... :rofl: ;)

Do you not have a laptop bag? I am cleary not going to win this and as my GPS fits in my pocket and it never stays in my car I can't think of a better solution for you.

ok, i bought a stereo at one store, and have another stop on my way home... should i take it with me to my second stop?

it's not the point of what it is, it's the point that your statement of not leaving valuables in your car just isn't always possible or feasible.

hampstor
11-19-2009, 04:56 PM

I can't think of a better solution for you.

Tint all around - they won't waste time to steal your shit if they can't see it!

beyond_ban
11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Tint all around - they won't waste time to steal your shit if they can't see it!

Does that include the windshield? Wouldn't want a weak spot in the tint armor.

Thaco
11-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Does that include the windshield? Wouldn't want a weak spot in the tint armor. :rofl:

Xtrema
11-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Does that include the windshield? Wouldn't want a weak spot in the tint armor.

Scat19 joke recognition fail.

Alarms only stop kiddies, not pros.

Pros don't give a shit about 90% of the cars out there.

Thaco
11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Pros don't give a shit about 90% of the cars out there. and pros want your car, not the shit in it. and if they want it, they'll take it, no matter what you do.

beyond_ban
11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
:rofl:

Originally posted by Xtrema

Pros don't give a shit about 90% of the cars out there.

:dunno: Love it or hate.

Sentry
11-19-2009, 06:06 PM

2 words.

flat deck

nobody is going to question someone with a professional tow truck, even if the alarm is blaring... especially in these &quot;economic times&quot; it's a repo...
Several words: They're going to move on to a vehicle that isn't going to be such a pain the ass to tow instead of stealing yours.

RecoilS14
11-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Fuel cut, battery cut, alarm, tint, nothing inside my vehicle to be stolen. Worked great so far.

I like the City Wide idea, that plus a large transport truck = stolen high end vehicles in broad daylight. Now all we need is a good chop shop and a craigslist account :nut:

Danny Meehan
11-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by eglove
i just take my steering wheel off, haha.
Mr Bean :D

zieg
11-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Alarm, backup siren/battery, pain siren, tilt sensor, starter kill, separate hidden kill switch, locking panel over the quick release hub, stock radio, shitty stock wheels, no outward signs the car has anything done to it, random piece such as ignition coil removed when the car sits for a long time in a place I don't like.

I think I'm pretty safe. :dunno:

scat19
11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Exactly, tint IS clearly the answer.

Thaco
11-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Exactly, tint IS clearly the answer.

this is actually somewhat true, i have tint on my car (front sides), it's one of the only cars in my parking lot that hasn't got a busted window to steal shit... its hard o get through a tinted window.

rockanrepublic
11-27-2009, 07:44 AM

this is actually somewhat true, i have tint on my car (front sides), it's one of the only cars in my parking lot that hasn't got a busted window to steal shit... its hard o get through a tinted window.

and you continue to park there?:confused:

Gibson
11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
If anyone has theft insurance on their car, can I ask how much you're paying per year? I was thinking I should probably add it to my policy.

beyond_ban
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
If anyone has theft insurance on their car, can I ask how much you're paying per year? I was thinking I should probably add it to my policy.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/286504/icbc-stolen-srt-8-claim-tossed-out-/

on a side note, not for your three cylindered car of fury i hope.

Thaco
11-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic

and you continue to park there?:confused: i am quite certain i don't really have much of a choice where or not i want to park at home.

Thaco
11-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Gibson

It's on your policy by default, the only time you need theft is if you dont have any coverage on your car (like if you park it for the winter or whatever)

That's BC, it's govt run insurance, that has ZERO reference to the private insurance we have here.

Gibson
11-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Haha, no. I've since sold it and bought a different car...should really change my sig...