TRIB Steakhouse
118 8th Ave SW - (403) 269-3160
http://www.tribsteakhouse.ca/

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 4.5/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Summary: A sort of not-so-hidden gem on Calgary's always-delightful Steven ave, the Trib is a great spot for those seeking a more intimate experience.

Introduction:

A friends birthday netted us tickets to see Matthew Good at the Jack Singer Concert Hall. The show was at 7:30, and at 5 on the nose we wandered down Steven Avenue in search for a quiet place to hang out hats for a little while. This particular friend and I hadn't spent some actual quality time together in a long while, much less in celebration of a birthday, and so we made a point of avoiding the usual places.

We were debating between Blink, a now-staple in my dining "black book", and Divino Wine and Cheese Bistro (which is directly beside blink). A little more walking, combined with a glance at a dinner menu posted in the window, found us in the TRIB. Our entry did little to raise our hopes: this was indeed a quaint little restaurant and bar, but there appeared to be a large party occupying the space. Just as we prepared to exit, an English gentleman named Phil led us down a flight of stairs into one of the nicest dining rooms I've seen. Out of plain sight, one must travel down a flight of stairs (while admiring the massive wine rack on the left side, into the underbelly of the restaurant. Err, perhaps I should say "the underbelly into the restaurant".

Service:

Mitch, our server, did an excellent job of servicing our table. He also explained a little bit about the building, the history, and what made the TRIB such a cool venue to experience. Throughout the evening he was friendly, timely, and honest about the menu offerings. It's always a good sign when you ask for a recommendation and the server doesn't immediately recommend the most expensive items on the menu.

Mitch decanted our wine for a good 20 minutes before offering me a taste. I am not sure how the wine (La Massa, Italy - $62) would have tasted sans decanting, but as it were it was smooth and relaxed, with undertones of cherry and blackberry. Given that my companion was not a vino by any means I felt it a good selection. The wine was poured into massive wine goblets, which I felt were a little gaudy (long thick stems mated to a relatively shorter bowl by comparison).

The service felt polished throughout the evening. Everything from the coat check (free) to the presentation of the bill was handled with due care and attention to detail, even when a table of thirteen and a table of eight were sat downstairs. I can appreciate the amount of coordination that goes into creating a polished dining experience, and this is one reason that I will be visiting the TRIB again very soon.

Ambiance:

The building, from 1879, has been renovated extensively to fit in with the trendy and contemporary locale. However, unlike many establishments in the area, the TRIB does not hide its historical roots. In fact, it accents it by displaying newspaper articles from the time, and leaving the brick foundation exposed on the lower level. The furnishings are all new (or relatively so), creating a contrasting backdrop when compared to the exposed walls. It is a very nice effect.

The upstairs looked quite contemporary as well, but I get the suspicion that it does not compare to the lower level. I knew I was going to experience something a little different than the usual when heading down the stairs I was able to gawk at a two-story wine cellar (seriously) loaded to the brim with wine. Not everyone is a sommelier, but even if you're a wine enthusiast (as I am) you will certainly appreciate the presentation. It was heaven, if only for a moment...

The lower level consists of richly appointed booths on the east side, with tables making up the remainder of the space. There is plenty of room amongst the lower level, so at no point do you feel wedged in. Being somewhat of a larger fellow, it's always a nice feeling to not have to apologize to half a dozen people when I have to get up to use the washroom.

Food:

With the level of detail applied to the decor and ambiance, including finely polished service, one would expect the food to follow suit. Indeed, I was not disappointed with any of our selections. The menu contains a variety of rather traditional Calgarian offerings: an ambundance of steaks, some seafood, and a couple of pasta items. As Mitch dutifully reminded us, the TRIB is first and foremost a steakhouse. So, it felt fitting for my companion and I to enjoy their recommended fare.

We started with the Calamari (grilled Niçoise Style, $9) and the Crab & Fish Cakes (pan fried, wit tartare sauce, $11). Both appetizers were flavorful, though the Crab Cakes were my preference. Other offerings off the appetizer menu that appeared to have potential included the Beef Tartar ($18) and the Escargot ($14), though we opted not to have either due to the fact that our meals were beef and that I enjoy delicious Escargot at my bistro quite often.

My friend ordered the 14oz. Rib Eye (served with vegetables and choice of potato, $29) and I opted for the Fillet Mignon ($35). Each steak was prepared quite well, with your choice of sauce providing just a touch of additional flavor. My Fillet was cooked as I asked, and I found myself enjoying a richly-flavored cut. The vegetables (broccoli and kale, with fingerling potatoes) were prepared quite well: they were not soggy, overdone, or otherwise. The red wine sauce that I ordered was also an excellent pairing for the fillet- recommended.

My friends Rib Eye was an excellent choice for him, and it would be for anyone feeling a little ravenous upon their entry to the TRIB. It is, simply stated, a large piece of meat. The vegetables and potatoes, which were the same as what I enjoyed, were quickly downplayed by the sheer size of the steak. As a waiter, one way to tell when the food served is good is when the dining room goes silent (aside from the clanking of cutlery against porcelain). Mission accomplished, as my friend simply couldn't find the time (nor the desire) to say anything in between bites of beef-induced bliss.

Following a pair of excellent steaks must not be an easy task, but the duo Creme Brulee ($8) was a decent attempt. The brulees (blackberry and monte cristo) seemed to fall up short in comparison to the rest of the meal, but by no means does that imply that they were not delectable. It simply means that everything else was simply that good.

Conclusion:

The TRIB is a restaurant that has paid attention to all of the little details that make a dining experience great. From the moment we were taken downstairs to the moment that we were handed our coats at the end of the evening, the TRIB did an excellent job making us feel invited and welcome in their restaurant. Of course, I was surprised and enthused to see that the same level of detail had not been applied to the bill: three courses, numerous highballs, and a bottle of wine for a grand total of $205 (plus tip). Two people, who perhaps aren't as cocktail heavy as my companions and I always seem to be, could easily enjoy a two-course meal for under $120.

The TRIB happily finds itself alongside Mango Shiva and Blink as my frequently visited locales on Steven Ave, and if you haven't been before, there's no better time like the present to see what you've been missing.

JAYMEZ
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Awesome review! Ill have to check it out this weekend with the gf! mmmm Steak :thumbsup:

cooperS
11-25-2009, 09:13 AM
i love tribune. last time when i went with my family, we have the duck roast share between 2 person. they give you a tag with the duck number on it and a guestbook to sign.

definitely good atmosphere with memorable food.

GQBalla
11-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Tribune is a good place.

definitely beautiful inside

can't wait to go back