PDA

View Full Version : Which Country Gets the Most Vacation Days?

ianmcc
11-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Ever wonder how Canada ranks in total number of holiday and vacation days? (It's not good!)
It's only 21 countries but it does open your eyes.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33431347?slide=1

extm88
11-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I wonder what province they base "Canada" on. Doesnt Alberta have one of the highest stat holidays in Canada?

KrisYYC
11-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by extm88
I wonder what province they base "Canada" on. Doesnt Alberta have one of the highest stat holidays in Canada?

I think it's about annual vacation, not stat holidays.

With our pathetic almost third world 2 weeks holiday per year, it's no wonder we're ranked so low.

I wish there was political movement to change this. There's more to life than working and buying shit.

The Europeans know what's up.

dj_rice
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
My work gives us 3 weeks holiday after 1 year of being employed, pretty good I think

KrisYYC
11-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
My work gives us 3 weeks holiday after 1 year of being employed, pretty good I think

That is good. Sound like you have a good employer.

You know what's sad? Many Canadians don't even take the measly two weeks they are entitled to. I guess having a bigger TV than your neighbour is more important than actually enjoying life a little bit. :rolleyes:

ExtraSlow
11-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Lots of companies give more than the two week minimum.
I work for an oil company, and base vacation is three weeks, plus 12 flex days, plus 12 "stat" holidays. That works out to be pretty decent. That would be better than the best country.
Anyone with more than 10 years experience gets another week too.

Now I know, there are lots of people working at jobs were they only get two weeks, but I got no sympathy for them. They are either a)young or b) uneducated or c) too lazy to get a better job.
Show me anyone with a job that requires a university degree or a professional desingation, and I'll show you someone who gets more than two weeks vacation.

dj_rice
11-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Is the 12 Flex days same as sick days?

quazimoto
11-21-2009, 05:36 PM
You need to be a government employee to really see the holidays. I mean heck when I was working for the provincial government some people were getting six weeks a year.

97'Scort
11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I've yet to work full time for a company that didn't give 3 weeks a year. I remember this one engineer who hadn't taken a vacation in like 6 years, and had worked a pile of overtime too. One day he just came in and said, "I'll see you guys in 6 months." Took off to somewhere warm and enjoyed half a year of paid holiday.

Supa Dexta
11-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Or oil, I work half years.

HaganDazs
11-21-2009, 05:50 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/12/pf/vacation_days_worldwide/

henrytang
11-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
I've yet to work full time for a company that didn't give 3 weeks a year. I remember this one engineer who hadn't taken a vacation in like 6 years, and had worked a pile of overtime too. One day he just came in and said, "I'll see you guys in 6 months." Took off to somewhere warm and enjoyed half a year of paid holiday.

same thing here. work with a guy who didn't take any vacations for many years. took off to hawaii for like 3 months. but still was sending emails from the beach.

Thomas Gabriel
11-21-2009, 07:27 PM
He who seeks rest finds boredom...He who seeks work finds rest.