PDA

View Full Version : dc5-r vs dc5-s

cujo_cjc
11-20-2003, 12:39 PM
what exactly is the difference between the 2 engine wise?
i know that the k20a has different gear ratios, header to name a few

but is it really worth it to do a type r swap or would it be better off doing bolt ons to the type s?

the type s bolt ons i was thinking about were this:

mugen sports exhaust
injen cai
toda racing kit (cams, valve springs, ecu)
toda racing header
and type r lsd

hjr
11-20-2003, 01:04 PM
the r has mo powa doenst it? but either way there is no way the swap is worthwile. way too expensive for the gains. It would be better to boost (turbo) the original motor.

littledan
11-20-2003, 01:19 PM
even without boosting serious gains can be had from such things as cai, header, exhaust and a hondata reflash of your ecu... im gasket as well...

syeve
11-20-2003, 02:21 PM
dont bbost this motor, you can achieve 200WHP+ with simple bolt ons, and with a replacement price of over 6k its not worth it. Lots of guys are finding the type r swap K20A useless...the type-s motor just needs bolts ons and off you go....the tranny is a different story, shorter gears and final drive, plus LSD make it more than worth while.

rc2002
11-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Don't do the swap. They're basically the same engine, just tweaked differently and some different parts i.e. ECU, exhaust, and cams? if I remember correctly..

rc2002
11-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Oh here it is:

The new R receives additional tweaks of a "hotter" cam profile, a higher 11.5:1 compression ratio, a reprogrammed ECU, and an improved exhaust system which conspire together to add another 20 hp. The redline is bumped up another 500rpm over the Type S to 8,400rpm.

http://www.sportandtouringcar.com/Preview_RSXR.htm

GTS Jeff
11-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
as far as i know, the dc5r engine is slightly better, but not enough to justify a swap. where would u even find a dc5r engine? the only place u could get it is right from honda, and i bet that would set u back 5 grand just for the engine. why not spend 3 grand on boltons and run low 14s? hehe

mutsuraboshi
11-20-2003, 05:43 PM
:poosie: type s , type r both just get eaten up by rexs the same
puahah im jokin chris. ;)

cujo_cjc
11-20-2003, 10:23 PM
thx guys, thats what i thought
i'll probably end up getting an type s and doing the afformentioned mods listed in my first post ;)

oh...and to mutsuraboshi we'll see when the time comes. cuz hey, i'll be getting my type s real soon if this whole insurance thing goes through.

and what...u'll be getting ur rex when ur outta uni (24/25?)
by then i'll have a new car...and i think u kno what it's gonna do to that wrx of urs :guns: