PDA

View Full Version : Anime recommendations

syritis
11-21-2009, 06:55 PM
So i've come to the end of my list of anime that knew i wanted to watch and I'm looking for info or recommendations on other anime that should be seen.

others I've seen.
Initial D (like you had to ask), Hellsing, Trigun, Final Fantasy unlimited, Love hina, Ranma 1/2, slayers, Full metal Panic, Dragon Ball Z, invader zim, Vandread, Cowboy Bebop. neon Genisis evangelion, and just finish Full metal alchemist.

Preferences I would like in a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being not needed at all and 10 being mandatory.

Humor: 7
Action: 5
Heart: 3
Gore: 5
Heroism: 6

Any ideas would be better then what i got right now

dj_rice
11-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Since you have seen Initial D, I am recommending Wangnan Midnight

And I'm just throwing this out there but Naruto?

VOLTRON
11-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Samurai Champloo (Samurais and hip hop)
humor: 8
action: 9
heart: 1
gore:7
heroism: 3

Big-O ( batman like anime but with big robots)
humor: 3
action: 7
heart: 2
gore: 2
heroism: 5

JordanAndrew
11-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Ghost fighter, also known as yu yu hakusho

TheCheff
11-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Samurai Champloo was awesome. I would also recommend Gungrave kind of a yakuza style anime about the mob.

narou
11-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Try air gear

Originally posted by TheCheff
Samurai Champloo was awesome. I would also recommend Gungrave kind of a yakuza style anime about the mob.

mycroftxxx
11-21-2009, 08:21 PM
hajime no ippo
its like the initial d of boxing.
http://www.animeshippuuden.com/

Gantz was a nice short series as well. plenty gory and a story that had me wondering WTF for a while.

Despair*
11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Not sure if you watched Full Metal Panic Fumuffou as you didn't specify, but I found that series to be absolutely halarious. Check it out for sure. Another Humorous series is Great Teach Onizuka.

Humor and action I would watch Naruto. It's a very long series. Just be warned they do have fillers every now and then, but the series is very entertaining.

Other series I enjoyed were Gundam Seed, Scryed, Claymore.

rockanrepublic
11-21-2009, 10:32 PM
casshen sins

syritis
11-21-2009, 10:55 PM
thanks all, I'll start looking for a couple of those.
I found an AMV (anime music video) on elfen lied, seriese looks interesting but haven't heard anything about it, anyone seen it?

rumeo
11-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Macross plus

euphoria
11-21-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure exactly how I would rate these, but I would say I enjoyed these series:

-Death Note
-Gundam Seed
-Gundam Seed Destiny
-Bleach (The fillers get really annoying though)
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I would also suggest leaving it off to the end of the list if you decide to watch since you just finished the original series)
-Escaflowne (If you don't mind a fairly old series, I think it was aired late 90's?)

:dunno:

Eibbus
11-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Despair*
Not sure if you watched Full Metal Panic Fumuffou as you didn't specify, but I found that series to be absolutely halarious. Check it out for sure. Another Humorous series is Great Teach Onizuka.

Humor and action I would watch Naruto. It's a very long series. Just be warned they do have fillers every now and then, but the series is very entertaining.

Other series I enjoyed were Gundam Seed, Scryed, Claymore.

Scryed ftw

syritis
11-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by euphoria
I'm not sure exactly how I would rate these, but I would say I enjoyed these series:

-Death Note
-Gundam Seed
-Gundam Seed Destiny
-Bleach (The fillers get really annoying though)
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I would also suggest leaving it off to the end of the list if you decide to watch since you just finished the original series)
-Escaflowne (If you don't mind a fairly old series, I think it was aired late 90's?)

:dunno:

I've seen a couple random episodes of the gundam series and parts of the movie. though i heard that somewhere in there the whole things goes to crap when they start doing a lot of standing and a lot of talking. which kinda made me loose interest in it.

Original series of Full metal alchemist? the first 51 episodes? wikipedia ways there is a film? I saw nothing of that or heard of the second series.

as for escaflowne, I've started watching it a couple times but just get turned off eventually. maybe i had a hard time connecting back then but i have a LOT of AMV's and i love them all... weird.

euphoria
11-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah the original Fullmetal Alchemist series is 51 episodes and the movie your talking about is Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa.

FMA: Brotherhood is currently an on-going series, with 32 episodes aired so far, its like a remake of the original series. The first like seven episodes(more or less) have a lot of similarities to the original series but then it starts branching off to a different story line.

Vagabond142
11-22-2009, 12:42 AM
If you saw Hellsing, DEFINITELY look up Hellsing Ultimate. MUCH truer to the mangas.

For good humor, some serious bits, and an absolute fuckton of action, nothing in recent years can beat Black Lagoon. Hilarious, full of action, very violent (in that way that only anime can be), yet light enough to not stress your brain too much (well, the last 4 episodes, maybe, but take the time to read into how the Yakuza work and you'll be fine).

Also, make sure to take in Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu and Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid.

Now, on to my personal suggestions:

Planetes. Seriously, find it, watch it, pick your jaw up off the floor. One of the best animes I have ever seen, one of the very few things I have to say I could not stop watching. I did all 26 episodes in a marathon weekend, without even noticing I had watched all 26. It never gets boring, never gets too far fetched to not be believable.

Valkyria Chronicles. Kinda like a much smarter FFU, it's a good steampunky fantasy/military anime along the feel of FMA but with a very good story. I have the entire series if you want, it's EXTREMELY hard to find online. It also has incredibly well done music. (and piggy is so cute X3)

If you want a serious and EXTREMELY deep anime, Twelve Kingdoms is a horrendously long slog, but has one of the deepest stories of any anime I've watched.

And lastly, I have to suggest with every anime list as such... you absolutely must watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd G.I.G. They are, hands down, the best anime of the past decade.

Also, watch Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away if you haven't already. Seminal masterpieces of anime moviemaking.

Despair*
11-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by syritis
I found an AMV (anime music video) on elfen lied, seriese looks interesting but haven't heard anything about it, anyone seen it?

I've seen Elfen Lied. It's pretty good. It's been a while since I've seen it so I don't remember alot about it. I just remember the first episode being insanely violent. But overall it was a pretty good series. I'd definitely give it a watch

Originally posted by Vagabond142

Planetes. Seriously, find it, watch it, pick your jaw up off the floor. One of the best animes I have ever seen, one of the very few things I have to say I could not stop watching. I did all 26 episodes in a marathon weekend, without even noticing I had watched all 26. It never gets boring, never gets too far fetched to not be believable.

Valkyria Chronicles. Kinda like a much smarter FFU, it's a good steampunky fantasy/military anime along the feel of FMA but with a very good story. I have the entire series if you want, it's EXTREMELY hard to find online. It also has incredibly well done music. (and piggy is so cute X3)

I'll have to check out this Planetes, sounds very interesting. Also I had no idea there was a Valkyria Chronicles series. I guess it makes sense though as there is a PS3 game and it feels like an anime series. I'll have to cross my fingers and hope for a torrent! Otherwise you may be getting a pm!

GenerationX
11-22-2009, 01:37 AM
welcome to the n.h.k.

anhsicun
11-22-2009, 01:58 AM
these are some of my favs

kenshin ( smaurai action with humor but very long tho )
hikaru no go ( its about some board game called go )
samurai deeper kyo ( smaurai action )
berserk ( very violent anime alot of action )
death note ( detective stuff )
slam dunk ( old basketball anime )

i haven't watch any anime for years since there no good one to wtach now adays.

Vagabond142
11-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Despair*

I'll have to check out this Planetes, sounds very interesting.

What I love about it is that it's mostly believable. It's about space junk removal in the later 21st century, and seriously, that is about as far fetched as it gets. There is serious consideration given to newtonian physics in the show, as well as environmental limitations (like a 6 foot tall 12 year old girl born on the moon and having lived in microgravity her entire life, or how to safely have a cigarette in space (special rooms with filters and air processors so that it doesn't tax the regular environmental system, etc). It's obvious that the entire series was extremely well thought out.

Jay911
11-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Here's some of my favorites of the past few seasons. Some of these will be repeats of what people here have already said.

Birdy the Mighty was a four-episode OVA (direct to video) release in the 1990s but got revived as a two-season TV series (so far) in 2008 and 2009. Birdy Cephon Altera is, for all intents and purposes, a "space cop" going after various criminals. In her pursuit of them to Earth, she accidentally kills a high school boy. In order to save his life while her people's technology rebuilds his body, she agrees (or more correctly is ordered by her bosses) to host his consciousness within her body. The story continues with the two of them sharing one body, able to take either his or her form depending on what the situation needs, and trying to balance his school and personal life with her Federation duties (and eventually her personal life as well). Besides the humor of the whole situation, the storyline of the pursuit of the criminals is well-thought-out and captivating - especially in season 2.

Black Lagoon is, as mentioned above by someone else, a fun, bad-ass anime. A meek, 20-ish Japanese salaryman, feeling like he's at a dead-end in his career path, is sent by his boss to southeast Asia with a disc full of company secrets. A group of American mercenary pirates based in Thailand, consisting of a Vietnam vet deserter, a Kevin Mitnick-type hacker on the run from the FBI and the mob, and a gunslinger fleeing a life of abuse in NYC, abduct him and steal the disc. His company decides the disc is so important that none of them can live, and send a mercenary army out to take them all down. They of course survive, and the salaryman, fed up with his life, throws in with the pirates, starting the series' storyline. There have been 2 seasons so far and a third OVA release due to come out in 2010.

Full Metal Panic I will mention simply because if you have only seen the first season (and not Fumoffu? or The Second Raid), you're really missing out. Fumoffu? is there for the funny side of things taking place mostly at Jindai High, while TSR picks up the main storyline back with the mercenary army. Fans are hoping that the series will eventually continue - there is a ton of story left in the original novels that takes you on a wild ride and makes some abrupt, hard, turns here and there to shake up the cast you know and love.

Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a movie-length OVA which is pretty much summarized in the title - it's about a girl who learns how to travel very short distances (hours, maximum) back and forth through time. In Japan, OVA releases tend to be higher quality, especially one-offs like this one, and this show very tidily encapsulates the entire story it's telling. It's one of the best fully-contained-in-itself stories you can watch.

K-ON! is a good fun "slice of life" show for those who might get their fill of action/adventure/mecha anime. It's about four (eventually five) girls who form a band in high school. There's not much else to say.. the "slice of life" genre has been compared to Seinfeld in the past, as in, it's a lot of stories about nothing in general.

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki is a show about a paranormal investigator who is given the task of finding a creature who every 1000 years is destined to destroy all life on Earth. Investigations has pinned it down to as close as one of 4 or 5 creatures that may or may not have the demon dormant within them. The solution is "Operation Cozy Family" where they all band together and act as a family unit, with a mother coming from a parallel dimension where she's a demi-god princess, a son which is a king of lions (literally), a jellyfish-like younger daughter, an ordinary human older daughter, and some others thrown in for good measure.

Macross Frontier is decent if you have been following various other Macross shows. Similar formula as other series - fighter pilot fighting against aliens determined to extinguish the human race exploring the galaxy, love triangle, etc. Good music and good blend of CGI and regular animation in this one.

Gotta stop here to head to work. Will add more later - only about halfway through my favorites list.

mycroftxxx
11-22-2009, 07:46 AM
if you really liked neon genesis and wanted to experience it again RahXephon has the same 'tone' I believe the same animators are with it however I don't see the studio gainax attached to it.

Bartender: is a real nice change of pace
http://www.animeshippuuden.com/bartender-1/
it takes a whiskey or a spirit and forms a storyline around it, exploring its history/development and its implementation in the current day. All the while weaving a story around a bar and its genius bartender. like a fine whiskey this may be an acquired taste.

Nodame Cantabile: it follows a gifted and eccentric pianist as she progresses through a fine arts school. all about classical music and concerts, its kind of a girly show but the characters are so full of life and the music really sucks you in. It was also translated into live action format as well, in some ways I prefer the live action to the anime which is very rare.

I just recently finished watching One piece from the beginning (took me a couple months 400+ episodes) its a good show not high in action but loaded in heart. but comparing one piece to other long running shows like naruto and bleach I would advise for naruto. its got a deeper wider spanning storyline and well worth the watch when its not doing filler episodes.

edit: +1 for the girl who leapt through time. a real nice watch. +1 for any studio ghibli film especially tonari no tottoro. +1 for anything from the macross franchise, plus, zero or frontier.

Jay911
11-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Back..

The updated Evangelion movies rock. People who aren't Eva purists might consider them a waste of time, but those of us who are Eva fans will probably enjoy it immensely. It starts out as shot-for-shot remake with fresher animation, but near the end of the first movie, the story takes a dramatic left turn compared to the original series.

Lucky Star is another slice-of-life series involving four high school girls: Twins, one of whom is timid and the other who's a tsundere, a "normal" girl, and an otaku who spends most of her time seeing life thru her anime, manga, and MMORPGs. Added fun includes a brief show-within-a-show involving two of the side characters in a kind of newsmagazine/chat format.

RideBack is one of the best things to have come to anime in the past couple years - the only complaint I hear is that the show is too short, at 12 episodes. The storyline sounds odd at first, when you learn that the main character is a legendary ballet star who quit after an injury. At the first day at university, she takes shelter from a thunderstorm inside the garage of a club that uses devices called RideBacks. The RideBack looks like a motorcycle/sport-bike manufacturer took seriously the concept of making a mecha - it's a bike with robotic arms, and the two wheels can either operate in the normal motorcycle type appearance or riding parallel beside one another, in "Standing Form", where the bike rides about 12 feet tall. I won't spoil any more of the series except that the art, animation, and detail are top-notch. Again, too short, but very enjoyable for the amount that exists.

Spice and Wolf is a show about.. the economy? ... no wait, don't run away yet. It's actually about a merchant trader (set in an Olde English type world) who travels and sells goods from town to town. In one place, he meets a young girl with animal ears and a large, bushy, furry tail, who is supposed to be the embodiment of the wolf god Horo, who watches over the wheat harvest for a certain area of the countryside. The farmers have given up on her after centuries of faith, though, saying that new technologies don't require them to rely on the wolf god any more. So she asks the merchant to let her travel with him, as she wants to go back to her homeland in the far north. (I talk about economy because there are entire chunks of episodes where they do nothing but talk about how different coins are minted and exchanged through various kingdoms.) Despite all this, it's a tremendously fun show.

To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index) is about a high school student in "Academy City", a new metropolis just outside Tokyo. It is about 30 years technologically advanced beyond the present, and is home to 2.3 million people - 80% of which are students studying the ability to practice "esper" talents like teleporting, pyrokinesis, etc., which has been developed through science. One day, this high school student goes to hang out his laundry on the railing of his dorm room, to find something else already draped over the bannister - a young girl who claims to be a nun from the English Purist Church. She is Index Liborum Prohibitorum, and has been bestowed with the knowledge of 103,000 forbidden tomes being stored within her mind. There are magicians who want to recover her for the benefit of the church. Oh, I also forgot to mention, this high school kid does not have an esper ability of his own, except that his right hand can dispell any supernatural force, so he is known as "Imagine Breaker". This show has 24 episodes and goes through a lot of "enemy of the week" stuff due to how much they're trying to cram into the series. It is good, though. I personally watched it for the side stories involving:

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun) - a secondary character in Index popular enough to get her own series. Misaka Mikoto is one of seven "Level 5" esper users in Academy City - the absolute best of the best. Her power involves the ability to harness and release electricity at will, and she is not afraid to do so - in the opening scenes of the series, she is shown getting her kicks by hanging out in a public place until a gang of guys start trying to hit on/harass her, at which point she blasts the holy bejeezus out of them, infuriating the local law enforcement by taking matters into her own hands (so to speak). Her favorite manipulation of her power, and what gives her her nickname "Railgun", involves taking a metal game token/coin and flicking it at someone or something with her thumb - but accelerating it with her electrical/magnetic charge so that it travels well over Mach 3, destroying everything in its path.

Railgun is currently still being aired in Japan. It and Spice & Wolf are my current favorites, along with Black Lagoon. :)

gqmw
11-22-2009, 11:07 AM
+1 deathnote

I usually don't really like anime but thought deathnote was good.

HyperZell
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I'll consolidate a lot of what has already been said into my personal recommendations:

Hajime no Ippo - one of the best of all time - pacing, characters, action, etc.

Shaman King - typical shonen stuff, but actually really damn funny and entertaining.

Hellsing - stylish and short, very cool premise.

Beck - do you like music? Do you like characterization and style? Do you like quality? If so, Beck.

Macross Frontier - again, music, but this time, with unreal space action, and best of all it's available in high def.

Death Note - probably the smartest anime I've ever seen. Gripping and intelligent, a must-watch.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R1 and R2 - like Death Note, but with more strategy and oh yeah, giant robots.

And my personal favorite:
Hunter X Hunter - something about the characters and the themes really feels special. The action is slick, the pacing is good and the show is quite smart. On top of that, the great music and ambiance make this my #1.

ArjayAquino
11-22-2009, 02:11 PM
+1 To Death Note and Code Geass, they will blow your mind haha

Wangan Night is also good. Same guys that made Initial D.

I also recommend:
Soul Eater - comedy, heroism
Gungrave - heroism, brotherhood, heart

Vagabond142
11-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Macross Frontier was good up until the last 2 episodes, where it pulls a typical Macross and makes you scratch your head trying to figure out just wtf is going on XD

Otherwise, it's a great series for those that like Macross d(^^ d)

Also, I know that I said it before, but I just watched the latest Hellsing Ultimate OVA and WOW.... just make sure you get this one. It's nowhere NEAR the original Hellsing anime, it's about 17 times better.

Also, if you like mystical stuff, check out an older anime in Witch Hunter Robin. Very gothicy animation, lots of dark colors, very somber, but awesome story and when bright colors are used, they are used to EXCELLENT effect.

Transp0rt3r
12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Whoever suggested "RideBack" - mad props :thumbsup: One of the best anime I've seen. Too bad it's only 12 episodes

Shunsui
12-12-2009, 07:19 PM
The only animes I'm following right now are FMA : Brotherhood and Dragonball Kai. Both are remakes of the originals, with updated animation and without any fillers (sidestories or characters that were absent from the manga).

Jay911
12-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Funimation now has Spice and Wolf episodes on its website, prior to the DVD release on 12/22. The first two are available dubbed, and it's actually a half-decent dub job. I describe it earlier in the thread, above.

http://www.funimation.com/spiceandwolf/ will get you a trailer and a link at the bottom titled "Click to Watch Free Episodes".

UndrgroundRider
12-13-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't enjoy the light goofy anime series as much, and prefer a more serious darker tone. If you like the same you will find these series extremely enjoyable: Hunter X Hunter Death Note Cowboy Bebop Akira Hikaru no Go Berserk Claymore Full Metal Alchemist Hellsing Kenshin OVA (Trust & Betrayal & Seiso Hen) Shura no Toki Trigun .Hack//Sign Witch Hunter Robin
Honorary mentions: Great Teacher Onizuka Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars Bartender Onegai Teacher Serial Experiments Lain Vandread Evangellion RahXephon Gundam Seed Gundam Wing

I'm sure there are some other stellar ones that I can't remember off the top of my head. Seen so many over the years it's difficult to remember everything.

RaptorGJC
12-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Darker than Black - In Tokyo, an impenetrable field known as "Hell's Gate" appeared ten years ago. At the same time, psychics who wield paranormal powers at the cost of their conscience also emerged. Hei is one of the most powerful of these psychic agents, and along with his blind associate, Yin, works for one of the many rival agencies vying to unlock the mysteries of Hell's Gate.

I found this to be a good series to watch, people with powers duking it out. A couple filler and background episodes near the beginning but the main story gets going about 1/3 of the series in.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan - In their closed-off underground village, Kamina and Simon chafe at the limits imposed by the village elder. Yet all this will change, when Simon stumbles across a fantastic device - just as the village's peace is broken by a violent intrusion.

This is a shonen type anime, but I found it to be a great blend of action, comedy, heroism. Lots of memorable quotes and scenes in this series.

Jonel
12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Trinity Blood - The Catholic Church has been locked in battle with their enemies, the Methuselah, aka, vampires for centuries. Their on again/off again war is fueled by hate and distrust on both sides. The humans believe that the vampires intend to wipe them off the planet and set themselves up as supreme lords of the world. The vampires believe that the humans, under the guise of religion, intend to decimate them in order to cleanse the world of the humans’ perceived sin of the vampires’ existence.

FLCL - Naota's life is confined to going to school and living with his father and grandfather. The usually boring life in Mabase is rudely interrupted by the arrival of Haruko Haruhara, who bursts on the scene by running Naota over with her Vespa scooter, then giving him CPR and hitting him on the head with a blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 right-handed reverse strung electric bass guitar.

GetBackers - The series tells the story of Ginji Amano and Ban Mido, a pair of superpowered individuals known as the GetBackers. The duo operates a freelance repossession service out of one of the seedier areas of Shinjuku, Tokyo. For a fee, they will recover any lost or stolen item for a client with "a 100% success rate". Their targets range from lost video games to misplaced components of an atomic bomb.

Devil May Cry - In the show, Dante runs his devil-hunting business, Devil May Cry, while struggling under constant financial debt. There are also two new regular characters—Dante's agent Morrison who visits frequently, and Patty Rowell (Royale in Japanese), a young orphan girl he saved in the first episode, who also visits frequently and shares a Sisterly relationship with Dante.

UndrgroundRider
01-06-2010, 02:39 AM
I went and watched Black Lagoon, Code Geass, RideBack, and Gantz. All excellent.

Any other recommendations along the lines of Gantz or Black Lagoon?

DENZILDON
01-06-2010, 08:11 AM

i have a LOT of AMV's and i love them all... weird.

+1 for BECK

Nothing really special except for the fact that the guitar chords, and scaling seems pretty true to what you see on the series and real life. Catchy and cool songs too. This series got me to collect guitars and others instruments again.

KKY
01-06-2010, 09:59 AM

elfen lied is good if you don't mind the typical "1 dumb guy surrounded by multiple girls" theme. Overall worth a watch.

If you like blood & gore, check out Shiguri. This is one of those ones you either love or hate. Lots of graphic violence, very weird story.

For something a bit lighter and humorous, take a look at Genshiken. It's an anime about the anime/manga/gaming culture in Japan.

m4rk
01-06-2010, 09:52 PM
bible black.... and bible black rival :)

Jay911
01-09-2010, 01:33 AM
I just watched Summer Wars. It is a 1h54m movie done by the same folks who did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time which is pretty much a masterpiece. In Summer Wars, a 17-year-old math genius gets invited to a holiday with the 18-year-old girl he secretly admires. While hanging out with all her family at her grandmother's birthday celebrations, he receives a text message on his mobile phone with a math problem. Solving it and sending it back in, he finds out that the online world "OZ", which everyone on Earth uses in day to day operations, has been laid to ruin by someone using his account.

Great movie. I urge everyone to watch it.

syritis
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Bump cause i don't wanna loose this.

since the last post i've watched all of The Last air bender. Samurai champaloo, and s-Cry-ed. I'm having a hard time finding the hellsing OVA. but it's slowly coming together.
and i watched red vs. blue just for fun.

2000_SI
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Chrono Crusade is set in the height of the Roaring Twenties, where jazz is king, bootleg liquor flows freely, and the mob rules the streets. It is a time of prosperity, luxury and decadence, and the division between rich and poor grows even wider in the wake of the First World War. It is at such times of great change and upheaval that the dark things that lurk below the world of man can come to the surface. In the world of Chrono Crusade, a fictional organization known as the Order of Magdalene (or more specifically, the characters of Sister Rosette Christopher and her soul-bound demon partner, Chrono) exists to fight the demonic threats that appear with increasing regularity across America. Both Rosette and Chrono are revealed during the course of the story to be driven by a shadowy past, centered around a search for Rosette's lost brother, Joshua.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: from me!

Skyline_Addict
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Deathnote

Humor: 8
Action/Suspense: 10
Heart: 8
Gore: 2
Heroism: 10

Hellsing

Humor: 5
Action: 9
Heart: 5
Gore: 9
Heroism: 8

and of course, hentai!

Jay911
03-18-2010, 12:17 PM
BOOM! Headshot!

http://moonphase.web.infoseek.co.jp/commonCG/20100318c.jpg

BLACK LAGOON - Roberta's Blood Trail

OVA series, 5 volumes in total, DVD and Blu-ray release

Vol 1 will be released on 17 July 2010. The opening song is Red Fraction New Remix by MELL.

Shlade
03-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Sorry to Hijack the thread! But does anybody know where you can purchase all the Dragonball Z seasons and movies?

Vagabond142
03-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Jay911
BOOM! Headshot!

http://moonphase.web.infoseek.co.jp/commonCG/20100318c.jpg

BLACK LAGOON - Roberta's Blood Trail

OVA series, 5 volumes in total, DVD and Blu-ray release

Vol 1 will be released on 17 July 2010. The opening song is Red Fraction New Remix by MELL.

DO WANT!

syritis
03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Sorry to Hijack the thread! But does anybody know where you can purchase all the Dragonball Z seasons and movies?

theirs a few places around calgary, like sentry box and some rogers stores but none that i have seen will have the full set. i bought my set of initial D online and it looks like it was pirated anyways.

JordanEG6
03-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Anyone watch Naruto?

Probably not as good as the ones mentioned, but it's the only Anime I currently watch. The english version sucks and is very watered down. I like this series because of the wide array of character/plot developement and action.

Naruto

Humor: 7
Action: 8
Heart: 9
Gore: 2
Heroism: 9

Naruto: Shippuden

Humor: 3
Action: 9
Heart: 6
Gore: 5.5
Heroism: 9

syritis
01-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Bump finished a whole bunch more series. the list is getting short again. more suggestions.
i found a full metal alchemist movie. it directly fallows the series but it a bit better. a must see.
found a cowboy bebop movie too. just about to watch it.

Jay911
01-23-2011, 05:44 PM
3rd OAV of Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail is out (well, fansubbed). They have a TON of stuff to pack into just two more OAVs (5 total).

Iron Man wasn't that bad, this past fall/winter season. Yes, that Iron Man. This winter season (just started 3-4 weeks ago), Wolverine is out, but I'm not so sure I'm going to just let it slip on by.

Last spring/summer, Highschool of the Dead was a runaway hit, which makes you wonder why they only did a really short season (IIRC, 12 eps) and covered a small portion of what's in the manga. Zombies (called "them" in both the manga and anime, in true adherence to the rules Shaun of the Dead set out) start overtaking Japan and we follow a bunch of school kids who manage to band together and survive. Warning: The guy who created this is renowned in Japan for his "hentai"/"ecchi" stuff, so this has girls with G-cups and bigger, and plenty of reasons for clothes being destroyed etc.

For those who watched either To Aru Majutsu no Index or To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, the "third" series, known as Index II, has been running since fall season and is about halfway through its run. Both series' casts get in on it together and things get serious between the forces of Magic and Science.

Just a few days late for this one: Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance was just in theaters last Thursday/Friday. This is the second of four movies remaking the Evangelion TV/movie series. The story takes a dramatic right turn away from what passes as "normal" in this movie, bringing in a couple new characters (a pilot who loves her job and doesn't burst into angsty tears at every turn!), and goes about things hugely different from the series while at the same time taking a lot of cues from it. I'm certain this will be available as a DVD by summer.

I Can't Believe My Little Sister Is Really This Cute! (don't ask me to remember/repeat the Japanese title) was on this fall/winter as 13 episodes, with several OVAs yet to come. A guy finds out that his high-maintenance, fashion-model, younger teenage sister is (literally) a closet otaku, with a hidden room full of anime and manga (much of it "hentai"/"ecchi"). She needs his help in order to keep it a secret from both their father, who is a strict old-school Japanese man, and her friends, who are the typical friends a high-maintenance snobbish fashion plate girl would have.

Houkago no Pleiades is a Web-exclusive anime coming to YouTube on February 1. Little is known about it except that it is being supported/sponsored by Subaru ("Pleiades" being the constellation/star cluster that defines the Subaru six-star logo) along with Gainax. From all appearances, it seems to be about a bunch of high school girls who are part of an astronomy club that ends up getting into their club activities in a supernatural way. (No Subarus or even cars are seen in the previews - not including the main character whose name is Subaru.) http://sbr-gx.jp is the website for the series.

Tram Common
01-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Three fucking pages and only one Akira recommendation?

Deathnote, Black Lagoon, Air, Bleach??? How old are the majority of you? 15? :facepalm:

Anime just hasn't been the same this past decade. If Ghost In The Shell, Akira, Macross Plus, Vampire Hunter D, Cowboy Bebop, Golden Boy, Metropolis, Perfect Blue, Samurai X and Ninja Scroll are all on your "to watch" list, you need to give your head a shake, download them all right fucking now, sit your ass down for a week straight and learn what made anime popular in the first place, son.

syritis
05-24-2011, 12:43 AM
I thought cowboy bebop was alright, i hated the ending though. would have been better if there was More interaction between the two characters.

but to add to the library
elfen lied revolves around the interactions, views, emotions, and differences between human beings and the Diclonii, a mutant species similar to humans in build but distinguishable by two horns on their heads and "vectors," transparent telekinetically controlled arms that have the power to manipulate and cut objects within their reach. The series is centered on the teenage Diclonius girl "Lucy" who was rejected by human beings and subsequently wants revenge.

Humor: 3
Action: 8
Heart: 8
Gore: 10
Heroism: 3

very twisted like all the most evil aspects of society are shown/discussed, lots of nudity and violence.

Originally posted by KKY
elfen lied is good if you don't mind the typical "1 dumb guy surrounded by multiple girls" theme. Overall worth a watch.

I don't agree with this at all. yes he ends up surrounded by women as an emotional crutch to deal with the death of his sister. it adds to the character development of such a short series but is still a far cry from a series like vandred or love hina where the entire story plot is based on the awkward hardships of that 1 dumb guy.

syritis
04-10-2012, 05:21 AM
hahah still working away on the list.
anyone have anymore to add?

taemo
04-10-2012, 07:22 AM
It's classified as a shonen but I've been reading the manga Fairy Tail for a while and enjoying it, kinda like One Piece.

others that I've watched that I don't see listed
Welcome to the NHK
Tokyo Godfathers
Ergo Proxy
Ouran High School Host Club
Samurai 7
Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple

also if you like manga and looking for an Initial D replacement, check Over Rev! out

Penis McNickels
04-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Noir (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noir_%28anime%29) was always one of my favourites. It has a good story arc and I enjoyed the soundtrack.

Also, Aumanga Daioh (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azumanga_Daioh) is a great comedy and well worth your time.

Jūni Kokuki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Kingdoms) also had a good story arc that I didn't get bored of.

As for Black Lagoon... I seriously find that series lacking and got bored of it and am surprised to see it recommended several times.

b_t
04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Black Lagoon started slow but I just went through a couple eps last night that made me go "god damn! sweet!" I liked how Rock finally just called out Revy for being a bitch. So sick of doormat guys in anime.

Best stuff I've watched lately...

Code Geass was awesome. I was expecting a Death Note ripoff but it was completely different, pretty badass stuff. It had giant robots in it which was great hahah.. worked up to a great ending. Had some awesome tragic moments, and I didn't even mind the usual high school comedy stuff because it gave you a reprieve from how brutal the show could otherwise be.

Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex was great. I still haven't watched 2nd Gig yet though. The whole Laughing Man plot was great, and I love their vision of the future.. really nicely realized.

Darker Than Black - really good series, pretty much about the anime version of Batman. The OVA is good, I've heard very mixed things about the 2nd season though - haven't watched it myself yet.

Berserk - haven't seen this recommended in the thread yet which is a crime. The single best manga I've ever read, hands down, and one of the best animes even though they only adapt one story arc so it ends way too early. Its an older anime.. not the best animation, but a great story. very character driven. Watching it more than once you see all the things at work, that lead to the end.

Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 were both incredible. I was never the biggest fan of the original series because Shinji was such a wanker but he's better in the movie.. Eva 2.22 gets absolutely crazy towards the end, was wicked aside from some stupid soundtrack selections. The third one is finally coming out this year I think.

Rurouni Kenshin was good too. Its another older one, but was really good. You can stop watching after they wrap up the Kyoto arc because after that its all filler until the show was canceled.. had some great fights, good characters. The Trust and Betrayal OVA was very well done and one of the best animated shows I've ever seen.

Hands down though, the best anime series I've ever watched is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Awesome animation, great story all the way through, a bunch of good characters. Really good music, incredibly epic story, very well told... ho man. It really doesn't get any better than FMA:B. It actually helps to watch the first ~30 or so episodes of the original series, because that fleshes out the early part of the story more. Brotherhood skips ahead quickly to keep things moving.

jacky4566
04-10-2012, 08:32 AM
REDLINE

How has beyond not mentioned this fantastic movie? 7 years to make and its truly an amazing piece of work.

Vagabond142
04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
I have to reinforce, anyone that even has a passing interest in anime needs to watch Princess Mononoke. Either the original japanese or the dub, which is one of the few English dubs that is actually GOOD :eek: :eek:

Miyazaki Hayao = absolute master storyteller

And yes, the movie is that good

zipdoa
04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
If you've never seen Anime before, Cowboy Bebop might be your best bet. They have proper english dubs which helps a lot.

http://torwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/spikespiegel.jpg

syritis
04-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Black Lagoon didn't really seem like my style but once the story picks up toward the end of the first season it's really good.

BT. you won't be disappointed with the 2nd gig.

darker than black seems like it was going to be a great series but it got very boring and dragged on without much progress in the story. the 2nd ever anime i didn't finish.

my top three anime are now.
elfen lied
trigun; and
Full metal alchemist.

again cowboy bebop was pretty sweet but i hated the ending. just seems sudden and inconclusive.

syritis
05-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Just finished the first season of high school of the dead and i must say i was very disappointed by what the hype lead up to

I'll save you the time and describe the story here for you. there are some floppy boobs..... and zombies. thats about it. there is no plot, there is no story. just a bunch of abnormally busty women. the fight scenes are silly. as if these kids have special powers... in high school? every time they see a zombie "ZOMG were all gunna die. go save yourself. oh never mind i'll just kill my way through hordes of zombies without a scratch and while every extra dies without any effort at all"
as far as i'm concerned it's anime porn without the need for pixelized
cencoring.

cancer man
05-07-2012, 07:36 AM
I just finished Claymore and totally dissapointed there is'nt a season 2.

Hellgirl i just started and it's ok but same storyline.

syritis
05-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Claymore was very good. It's very high on my list. very original story.