PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Moe's Donairs

nonlinear
11-21-2009, 07:12 PM
I tried Uncle Moe's for the first time last weekend based on reviews in the other donair threads on beyond... We were in the NE and needed lunch, so looked at the nearby restaurants on the Garmin and realized there was an Uncle Moe's right near us. So we ended up at the location on 16th ave and 52nd street. Our donairs were great, even though I did start to 'tire' a bit from the meat, because it has a really potent tastre.

However, we went again today and had an entirely different experience. There was a guy working this time (it was a girl last time), and it took him seriously 20 minutes to make the food for the people in line in front of us. I guess it wasn't entirely his fault, since the guy front of us was totally idiotic, asking about bread sizes, all kinds of other stupid questions, then trying to switch his drink from a juice to a pepsi AFTER he had already paid, because the pepsi was $0.25 cheaper.

anyhow, when I finally got to the counter, i could see the lettuce and it was TOTALLY yellow and wilted, and was seriously standing in a pool of water. I'm not sure about you guys, but lettuce standing in water is pretty gross to me.... like a festering breeding ground for E. coli or whatever other bacteria... so as i'm looking at the lettuce, the guy behind the counter says "what are you looking at." and I said "oh, just checking out the lettuce." he then holds up his arms and says "hey man, everything's fresh....: and then grabbed the lettuce container and proceeds to pour out the standing water into the sink. :barf: At this point, I would have just left and gone elsewhere, but being that we had already invested so much time in this dang donair, I had to stick it out.

so he made our donairs with that lettuce which was pretty gross. this was just a couple of hours ago, and i didn't get sick yet, so we'll see how that goes haha. but i ended up throwing out about half the donair cause I just couldn't get it down after seeing that lettuce.

anyhow, just wanted to see what you guys have to say about this, since some of you have said that these are the best donairs in the city. It was really good last weekend, but terrible today, and inconsistency isn't cool.

henrytang
11-21-2009, 07:19 PM
i'd have looked elsewhere after seeing the name 'uncle moe's'.

FullMetal
11-21-2009, 07:25 PM
u could just said dont put lettuce....

jwslam
11-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by FullMetal
beyond posts should have a 'like' button instead of having me make a reply

henrytang
11-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by FullMetal

true that.

surprising that an esteemed food connoisseur and critic like nonlinear, who 'abhors' inconsistency would visit the donair shop again after not being fully satisfied. he even continued to order after seeing the product that was not fresh, and waiting in line for longer than normal.

we need a new food critic! he cannot be trusted

(:))

nonlinear
11-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by henrytang

true that.

surprising that an esteemed food connoisseur and critic like nonlinear, who 'abhors' inconsistency would visit the donair shop again after not being fully satisfied. he even continued to order after seeing the product that was not fresh, and waiting in line for longer than normal.

we need a new food critic! he cannot be trusted

(:))

no, as i said, it was great last weekend, the first time we had it. and of course I could have asked for no lettuce, but i didn't, and really that's beside the point. I'm just trying to get other opinions to see if this was an isolated incident, or if Uncle Moe's is always sketchy like that. :dunno:

SJW
11-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Desert Pita on 52nd and 17th

There is no other place to get em.

Also their Shaesh Tawouk is probably the finest tasting food i've ever put in my mouth.

FlySi
11-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

no, as i said, it was great last weekend, the first time we had it. and of course I could have asked for no lettuce, but i didn't, and really that's beside the point. I'm just trying to get other opinions to see if this was an isolated incident, or if Uncle Moe's is always sketchy like that. :dunno:

No it wasn't an incident at all, I think you are just always sketchy you whiny ass bitch hippy. I (and all of beyond) still fail to see why you would continue to order after what you saw, only to come onto beyond to complain about it. Go eat some fresh sushi.

nonlinear
11-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by FlySi

No it wasn't an incident at all, I think you are just always sketchy you whiny ass bitch hippy. I (and all of beyond) still fail to see why you would continue to order after what you saw, only to come onto beyond to complain about it. Go eat some fresh sushi.

do you feel better about yourself, now?

Disoblige
11-21-2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.human-suit.com/lettuce.%20.jpg

nom nom nom :D

lowrider
11-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Hey non linear it's obviuos your a fucking retard! if i knew you where going to complain i would have asked you to leave! and who the fuck are you to bitch, it didnt take me 20 mintues to make his food i was fucking busy. so you know what you can do? go fuck your self side ways and you have no right to be a food critic! you suck!

nonlinear
11-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by lowrider
Hey non linear it's obviuos your a fucking retard! if i knew you where going to complain i would have asked you to leave! and who the fuck are you to bitch, it didnt take me 20 mintues to make his food i was fucking busy. so you know what you can do? go fuck your self side ways and you have no right to be a food critic! you suck!

haha, talk about customer service!

I thought my review was pretty fair... we did wait in line for a REALLY, REALLY long time, but notice that I said the slowness wasn't entirely your fault, cause that guy in front of me really was acting like an idiot.

however, the lettuce WAS disgusting, as was your attitude when you saw me looking at it. and your response here simply further confirms your horseshit attitude and absolute lack of respect for the customer. boo! :thumbsdow

FullMetal
11-22-2009, 01:44 AM

hahaahaha :thumbsup: :rofl:

lowrider
11-22-2009, 01:45 AM
no your just a dumb ass! you don't know what customer service is!

FullMetal
11-22-2009, 01:47 AM

are u the guy that made his food lol:clap:

lowrider
11-22-2009, 01:48 AM
ya!

nonlinear
11-22-2009, 01:50 AM
at least you did pour the standing water out of the lettuce container :poosie:

lowrider
11-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Why don't you come by tomorrow, I'll buy you another donair and make sure there is no water in the lettuce"

nonlinear
11-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Why don't you come by tomorrow, I'll buy you another donair and make sure there is no water in the lettuce"

i don't think i'll be coming back for awhile... unless i'm in disguise. you're bigger than me and might bounce my ass right the front door! :D

rockanrepublic
11-22-2009, 02:01 AM
+1 for nonlinear.
lowrider is really showing a side of his business that he should not be. If this is how you treat a concerned customer i never want to visit you food establishment. nonlinear wasn't insinuating this is what happens on a daily basis he was simply asking if it has happened to anyone else. He also gave you the benefit of the doubt on the wait time.

dj_rice
11-22-2009, 02:13 AM
I think a call to the CHR is in order and a food inspection be done...

And I was bored and found Uncle Moe's Donair in the CHR website, not sure what the report says cause its not loading up for me

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/health-inspections/SearchServlet?direct=showReport&ID=16000150

Type_B
11-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Heres my take on some of the Donair places. All is very good though.

Uncle Moe's (im a regular he knows what i want lol) crunchy and wraps it tightly which is good some places it feels like a sloppy joe when im eating it.

My Donair. man they give you the most for the buck i tried a jumbo it had so much meat in it i couldn't even finish it but very tasty and owner's was very friendly.

Hungry Sultan i dont even wanna comment on this. but .... new owners are very cheap the biggest donair they have had more lettuce than the meat. (k im over exagerating but you get the point.)

henrytang
11-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I think a call to the CHR is in order and a food inspection be done...

And I was bored and found Uncle Moe's Donair in the CHR website, not sure what the report says cause its not loading up for me

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/health-inspections/SearchServlet?direct=showReport&ID=16000150

nasty...

captain134
11-22-2009, 10:40 AM
yeah I'm definitely not going to Uncle Moe's after reading this. The lettuce wasn't that big of a deal but who wants to deal with a person like Lowrider if he actually works there.

dino_martini
11-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm still a huge fan of Jimmy's A&A near Sait.

I haven't been up there for a while though.

Lately I've been going to a place on 17th ave and 2nd street SW. Its called Sub's N More.

They make awesome donairs.

Disoblige
11-22-2009, 01:11 PM

If that ain't irony, then I don't know what is.

I didn't really judge until you came onto the boards with such "professionalism". Never a good way to come onto the forums and give us this kind of impression.

This is even worse than kimchee's Burrito thread.

Graham_A_M
11-22-2009, 01:29 PM
^ Word. I'll never go to that place after this thread, holy shit. :confused:

I have a Uncle Moe's a few blocks away from me right in Deer Ridge, good place to go as its always great service.
:dunno:

My favorite place for Donairs is Donair Grill right in Millrise. :thumbsup:
The owners are totally cool people

adidas
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
How many places in Calgary that serve Donairs? Quite possibly 1235432334567544, but Uncle Moe's will never be visited by me.

When an establishment doesnt give a shit about the quality of food that they serve then they shouldnt be operating in the first place. Ill make sure i tell everyone not to go there.

HuMz
11-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Word. I'll never go to that place after this thread, holy shit. :confused:

I have a Uncle Moe's a few blocks away from me right in Deer Ridge, good place to go as its always great service.
:dunno:

My favorite place for Donairs is Donair Grill right in Millrise. :thumbsup:
The owners are totally cool people

Is there a new one in Millrise or are you thinking of the one in Shawnessy or the one up in Bridlewood?

And ill never visit uncle moes after this thread, lowrider sounds like a class act.:thumbsdow

Kloubek
11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
That's pretty funny that lowrider is on Beyond. Waaaayyyy too many people are on this site from around Calgary!

My take on it: I've eaten at Moes about a dozen times. I have not yet had one bad experience. The guys behind the counter have always been friendly, and I've never noticed my lettuce in stagnant water.

As for the health reports (I've never read them), they really mean little. Even Ceasers, which is regarded as one of the best steak houses in Calgary, has a multitude of bad reports. The fact is, very few places don't have any bad reports. Oddly - Ginger Garden on 68th is one of them. (Didn't expect that. It looks questionable!)

So as far as this particular instance, I would say it is somewhat isolated. Nobody has responded to report that they have had a similar instance.

As with many people, it is entirely possible the OP exaggurated the length of time it took. Maybe it really did take 20 minutes - who knows.

Now, with all this said, your response was TOTALLY out of line Lowrider. The guy has what he feels are legitimate complaints. Instead of being a dink, perhaps you should instead direct your energy to keeping an eye on the condition of your lettuce. It isn't like there is a lot of toppings to worry about... lettuce, onions, and tomato. I can't imagine doing your job properly is really THAT difficult.

Is it?

FlySi
11-22-2009, 04:36 PM
The only logical explanation on the subject:

OP was not happy with the lettuce but continued to order his donair.... WITH LETTUCE. He proceeded to pay for the donair/donairs, ate, and left. By the time he got home, he couldn't swallow the fact that he had just spent his last dollars on a mediocre donair. He then came to beyond to post his "review".

Basically here is the same situation (as an example)

I go to a dealership, im very interested in a honda prelude, salesman says its in mint condition. I look under the vehicle, see oil dripping from the pan and a huge puddle.

I buy the vehicle(knowing that its a pos), drive halfway home, engine blows, then I run to beyond to post my review.

Baron O' Funk
11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah Ill pass, shitty service and an ogre on beyond. Too many other options. Nahhhhhhh

Critical Date Violation Rationale/Requirement Cleared
No Jun 01, 2009 REPAIR/CLEAN/NUISANCE - The equipment is not in good repair, is constructed in a manner that is causing or will cause contamination of food, and/or is not being maintained in a clean condition. All equipment must be kept in good working order and condition, maintained in a manner that ensures the safe and sanitary handling of food, and washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.
No Jun 01, 2009 LOCATION/CONSTRUCTION - The lighting fixtures are located and/or constructed so that food could become contaminated if a fixture breaks. The owner of a food establishment shall ensure that the lighting fixtures are located and constructed so as to prevent contamination of food in the event that the fixture breaks.

No Dec 05, 2008 EQUIPMENT/SHELVING/COOLER SHELVES - The equipment, shelving, or food contact surfaces in this food establishment are unsatisfactory. An operator shall ensure that all surfaces that come into contact with opened foods are smooth, impervious, durable, easily cleaned, suitable for their intended purpose, and maintained in good repair.
No Dec 05, 2008 CLEAN/GOOD REPAIR - This food establishment is not being kept clean and in good repair. The owner of a food establishment shall ensure that the food establishment is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, in good repair and in sound condition.

No Sep 21, 2009 CERTIFIED FOOD SAFETY TRAINING - At least one person having care and control of this facility does not hold a certificate in food sanitation and/or is not on site when 6 or more food handlers are working. A manager must have approved food safety training. If 6 or more staff are working, the trained manager must be on site. Owners of more than one establishment must have a different trained manager for each site. To register, 762-2990(Banff), 943-2290(Calgary), 995-2638(Okotoks), 678-5656(Canmore).

Danny Meehan
11-22-2009, 06:08 PM
when customer complaint meets employee reply ... is sweet

Graham_A_M
11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

Is there a new one in Millrise or are you thinking of the one in Shawnessy or the one up in Bridlewood?

And ill never visit uncle moes after this thread, lowrider sounds like a class act.:thumbsdow

Its the one right off 162nd ave. just west of james McKevitt. Beside Bull & Finch..... Kind of toss up which nieghboorhood that is exactly. :dunno:

Cooked Rice
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
el rouhaa is where i go. :drool:

TorqueDog
11-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I've been to the Uncle Moe's on Edmonton Trail near McKnight, and have nothing but good things to say about it. :dunno: Customer service is always stellar, and the food is always very tasty.

jahobo
11-23-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
I'm still a huge fan of Jimmy's A&A near Sait.

I haven't been up there for a while though.

Lately I've been going to a place on 17th ave and 2nd street SW. Its called Sub's N More.

They make awesome donairs.

theres also a jimmys aa close to 17th ave sw, if you didnt want to venture up there

Jimmy's Mediterrania Resto-Deli
1304 4st sw

basically across the street from that sony store on 4th.

dino_martini
11-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by jahobo

theres also a jimmys aa close to 17th ave sw, if you didnt want to venture up there

Jimmy's Mediterrania Resto-Deli
1304 4st sw

basically across the street from that sony store on 4th.

Yeah I've been to that one as well. But there is just something different about going to the one near SAIT. Sometimes Jimmy is around. He kind of reminds me of a Vegas Magician act when I first met him :rofl:

nonlinear
11-23-2009, 11:14 AM
i saw jimmy over the weekend, and wow, that guy has really gone off the deep end. i love ya jimmy, but you really looked like a flamboyant lebanese Carrot Top... :rofl: complete with the glamed-up long hair, and a purple scarf tied around his neck hahah. i still have a major crush on his mom, though :love:

scat19
11-23-2009, 11:19 AM
nonlinear - I doubt Lowrider is the guy that helped you. Baz doesn't talk like that.

ekguy
11-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

I'd also like to know. I know the one by Zellers and C-Tire in Shawnessy is pretty good. There is also one by the passport office that is quite excellent. Are there more in our area?

:thumbsdow to Lowrider. Customer is always right especially with food. I know some customers are douchebags but seriously you are serving people food and people do worry about how their food is handled. I never and I mean never have talked to a customer the way lowrider is on this thread. And trust me I have a lot of experience in the food and service industry and it shows that lowrider does not.

cr-xbrian
11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, especially if this thread made it on the google search for Uncle Moe's. That wouldn't be good for business....i could see someone getting fired for it even...:dunno:

ekguy
11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Well either way I always had a hard time trusting food places in the NE. Just so many of them seemed so gross. With food it's all about image and cleanliness. If your resto is gross to be in then you have to think and imagine what the kitchen is like. Having worked in a high end golf and country club this summer it's hard for me to imagine a kitchen in a restaurant as anything other than spotless but unfortunately it's probably almost never the case...

01RedDX
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM

nj2Type-S
11-23-2009, 03:37 PM
the donair place in bridlewood is :drool:

ekguy
11-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
the donair place in bridlewood is :drool:

where in Bridlewood is this? Near Sobeye's or something?

stevieo
11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
stardust pizza across the street from amsterdam rhino (I think 11th and 6th?) has some good ass donairs.

cr-xbrian
11-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

i think its the one graham was talking about i think....right beside the bull and finch and a gas station.

bubbley
11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
there is a similarity between most donair places = dirty as fack... cleanest place ive been with the best donairs subs n more on 17th ave and they are open until super late

although, before i happend to stumble upon subs n more...uncle moe's on edm trail was my fav :dunno:

rsxlr8
11-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by ekguy

yeah, it's near sobey's. i think it's right next to a hair salon.

i've been there a couple of times and the guy behind the counter was really nice. i don't usually comment on the decorations for these types of establishments but for a donair place, it's pretty nice inside, also. i haven't had donair in a while but the price is a bit higher than others but their food tastes great so i guess it's ok, hehe.

TorqueDog
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by scat19
nonlinear - I doubt Lowrider is the guy that helped you. Baz doesn't talk like that. Baz works at the Edmonton Trail/McKnight Blvd location. nonlinear went to the 16th Ave/52nd St location.

Ven
11-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Baz runs a good shop at the Edmonton Trail location. I find the donairs there to be top shelf. And ya Baz definitely doesn't talk like that.

Sebasshole
11-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Didnt read the first two pages but there is a new uncle moes in deerrun and it is fantastic. owners are very nice and they always have specials. And somedays they even give away free sodas.

i <3 uncle moe

GQBalla
11-24-2009, 11:05 AM
is this the place across from KFC?

the address is right and i went to a donair place near there across from a kfc.

i thought it was good but this was over a year ago, i liked that he weighed the meat so its consistent

Sebasshole
11-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Its behind the dairy qeen next to the subway just opened a couple months ago.

and yes consistent meat to cheese to sweet sauce ratio.

Mar
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Hilarious. One of the most important things for a business is customer feedback so they can find out what they're doing wrong. You got a customer here who is politely saying things he is not impressed with about a business and the business owner/employee has the option to take this valuable information to make the business better. Instead he says fuck you and doesn't listen at all. I don't get it. :dunno:

trieuth
11-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I've been to the Uncle Moe's on Edmonton Trail near McKnight, and have nothing but good things to say about it. :dunno: Customer service is always stellar, and the food is always very tasty.

same, the guys there are great!