PDA

View Full Version : East Indian Head Gear

sexualbanana
11-22-2009, 01:08 AM
I coach kid's basketball and one of my players is an east indian with a wrapped bun (don't know what else to call it) on top of his head secured by just an elastic band. Unfortunately the thing comes undone all the time in practice and in games, and is becoming a big distraction. Has anyone else had this problem? And what would be a decent solution?

Kardon
11-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I know if I had a large towel wrapped around my head all day I'd probably take it off. :rolleyes:

aqure591
11-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I coach kid's basketball and one of my players is an east indian with a wrapped bun (don't know what else to call it) on top of his head secured by just an elastic band. Unfortunately the thing comes undone all the time in practice and in games, and is becoming a big distraction. Has anyone else had this problem? And what would be a decent solution?

I have some friends that wear the Under Armour Skull cap over top to keep it from falling apart.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/en/mens/accessories/pid8000071-Skull-Cap/8000071-001

TurboD
11-22-2009, 01:22 AM
It would be super funny if their religion called for cowboy hats or the cat in the hat hats and then they made it into the nba....

lol

So I guess football is out of the question for these kids?

How do they swim?

or sky dive?

or race cars?

or anything that requires a helmet?

dj_rice
11-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Its called a turban and not sure if there is a solution

TurboD
11-22-2009, 01:47 AM
http://www.sikhnet.com/files/news/2009/May/dastar-2.jpg

http://www.sikhchic.com/sports/cms/articles/photo1/harman-a.jpg

tell him to tie that jazz tighter.

What is the point of growing your hair long and covering it as to have it never be seen?

Why not just remove it for basketball?
What is going to happen? oh no, he has disgraced his 500 yr old religion by showing his hair.
haha, all the while he is playing basketball, obviously which is a great part of the religion and is very key to being a good seik.

He should glue it to his head, or run a band of duct tape along the edge.

Or maybe he should just ask his all powerful all knowing god how to play basketball while staying within the technicality boundaries of the turban.
^ [context] obviously this is a rhetorical question as it is impossible.

What next, will they let the women play wearing veils over their faces? and cover their legs?
oh wait, the women are oppressed into not being able to do activities such as basketball, only the men are allowed.

TurboD
11-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Holy shit that's trippy

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-05-08-saudi-sports_N.htm

Speak of the devil, errr, woman.

lol

These chicks can take off their gear, why not these seik boys?

turbotrip
11-22-2009, 03:12 AM
is it mandatory in the sikh religion to wear a turban? i know they cant cut their hair, but cant they just let it hang loose?

TurboD
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
is it mandatory in the sikh religion to wear a turban? i know they cant cut their hair, but cant they just let it hang loose?

I think this is punishable by death.

TurboD
11-22-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/20666--turban-wearing-motorcyclist-fights-law-that-forces-helmets

What a retarded seik, I hope he one day falls off his bike and cracks his skull into a million pieces.

Kloubek
11-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
It would be super funny if their religion called for cowboy hats or the cat in the hat hats and then they made it into the nba....

lol

So I guess football is out of the question for these kids?

How do they swim?

or sky dive?

or race cars?

or anything that requires a helmet?

Heck no. If someone bitches loudly enough and calls "racism", then we bend the rules for anybody... just to be politically correct.

Shit... who cares about safety anyway? Personally, I LOVE the idea of my tax dollars going towards taking medical care of someone for the rest of their life because they deemed their religion more important than their personal safety.

01RedDX
11-22-2009, 02:09 PM

sullygully
11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
To be straight to the point, don't worry about it. You are coaching kids basketball, not the NBA. Let the kids have fun, and leave the turban issue to the kid and his parents to figure out. You could open a whole can a worms up if you approach them with your concern about it. But who knows, they could be open to your criticism. But i say just let it go.

If the other kids start making a bid deal about it, then you need to explain to them that its in his religion to wear a turban, and you all need to respect that, or leave the team. If it starts to stress you out, then you should consider not coaching anymore.

TurboD
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
then you need to explain to them that its in his religion to wear a turban, and you all need to respect that, or leave the team.

Religion does NOT automatically deserve respect.
Do you respect the way their religion has oppressed women for 500 years?
If I go into math class and tell the teacher that I believe 2+2 is 6, because of faith, does this deserve respect as well?
If I go to a job interview and tell the panel that I believe that elvis is still alive, because of my faith, does that also deserve respect?

If your faith is that god can heal your children's illness' and as a result instead of going to the doctor for major health problems you pray for your kids and deny them reality...
By default you must also respect them for this.

Why should these indoctrinations be respected blindly, and teaching children that it's ok to believe in something with no logical or reality based thinking.

the seik hair growing is like a playoff beard that lasts their entire life and they never actually end up winning the big game, or even playing in it, they are just deluded into thinking they are.

<giani>
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
The kid is a Sikh (in Sanskrit it means disciple or follower).

sexualbanana, tell his parents to tie a "patka" which is the one in the pictures TurboD posted. This will help prevent his hair from opening.

Ven
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by &lt;giani&gt;
The kid is a Sikh (in Sanskrit it means disciple or follower).

sexualbanana, tell his parents to tie a &quot;patka&quot; which is the one in the pictures TurboD posted. This will help prevent his hair from opening.

:thumbsup: Solution to every problem.

mowglee
11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
the underarmour skull cap is a good idea. or get his parents to make him wear a patka as <giani> mentioned. tell them that its not safe if its falling apart all the time, not just for him but for the other kids. Unless they're some hardcore conversative people they should understand.

SlickMick
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Instead of making this thread why don't you use your head and talk to the kids parents?
See if they have family members/friends in the same situation and ask the people who wear patkas (what you ignorantly call a bun) what they do?

I think that would be much more productive then posting something like this on a forum where every johhny no name e-shit talker can give his two cents on how other peoples cultures should be handled.

Ps If your coaching a kids bb team, and your to fucking hard headed to even know what his "bun" is called, go get a job where you can be a stupid fuck, like a cop.

shakalaka
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Religion does NOT automatically deserve respect.
Do you respect the way their religion has oppressed women for 500 years?
If I go into math class and tell the teacher that I believe 2+2 is 6, because of faith, does this deserve respect as well?
If I go to a job interview and tell the panel that I believe that elvis is still alive, because of my faith, does that also deserve respect?

If your faith is that god can heal your children's illness' and as a result instead of going to the doctor for major health problems you pray for your kids and deny them reality...
By default you must also respect them for this.

Why should these indoctrinations be respected blindly, and teaching children that it's ok to believe in something with no logical or reality based thinking.

the seik hair growing is like a playoff beard that lasts their entire life and they never actually end up winning the big game, or even playing in it, they are just deluded into thinking they are.

You don't have a bloody clue about what you're talking about.
First of all, if you want to talk about something and criticize it, know how it's spelt. It's SIKH. And second of all, in Sikhism women have NEVER been oppressed in any way, or asked to wear veils or cover their heads what so ever. That's a completely different religion, so get your facts straight before you feel like opening your mouth.

SlickMick
11-22-2009, 04:34 PM

"Sikhs" grow their beards and hair because its the only thing on your body you can cut off and it will come back, therefore it should be respected, is that not a logical thought? Chop off your own finger and hope it'll come back smart ass, its called being thankful. If you don't respect it, who cares? I doubt a whole lot of people honestly care for the mindless, half thought up dribble that pours out of your mouth. Don't think big words over shadow ignorance. Go pick up a book and do some homework, or shut you mouth.

Which ever seems more logical to you.

TurboD
11-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by SlickMick

&quot;Sikhs&quot; grow their beards and hair because its the only thing on your body you can cut off and it will come back, therefore it should be respected, is that not a logical thought? Chop off your own finger and hope it'll come back smart ass, its called being thankful. If you don't respect it, who cares? I doubt a whole lot of people honestly care for the mindless, half thought up dribble that pours out of your mouth. Don't think big words over shadow ignorance. Go pick up a book and do some homework, or shut you mouth.

Which ever seems more logical to you.

I scraped my knee and lost the skin when I was a kid, but the skin grew back.

The fact that they are amazed that hair grows is a clue about how out of touch with reality they are.

Also, I spell seik wrong on purpose because I feel that it doesn't deserve enough respect to be spelled correctly.

shakalaka
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM

fuck you, I cut my fingernails all the time and they grow back.

Also, I spell seik wrong on purpose because I feel that it doesn't deserve enough respect to be spelled correctly.

Not only did you lose your skin, you lost your brain as well, which obviously never grew back.

And an ignorant fuck like yourself doesn't deserve anyone's respect and isn't even worth talking to. So am done doing that.:thumbsup:

funnyguy
11-22-2009, 05:20 PM

The fact that they are amazed that hair grows is a clue about how out of touch with reality they are.

go back to learning about ied's and worshiping al-qaeda's.

SlickMick
11-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Your a fucking clown @TurboD, don't worry buddy what you give you receive ten fold.

dandia89
11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I really wish I could understand people like TurboD. They just love to start shit and pull out the most ridiculous arguments

5hift
11-22-2009, 05:43 PM
SlickMick`s explanation of Sikhism and growing your hair is misinformed I think, but I am amazed at the hate someone can have for another religion without a real reason.

From what I understand, Sikhs do not cut their hair because their belief is God intended for their bodies to be in their natural form, and not to alter them i.e. cut hair, get tattoos etc. Someone with a better understanding can expand on this if they want.

TurboD was obviously bullied by some brown guys in high school or something, because I have never seen someone with such hate without reason. He does love to start shit on here, but let him get it out, we all know he`d never have the balls to do it out in the real world.

EK 2.0
11-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks for coming out...

Dj_Stylz
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
So glad someone got rid of that troll.

2Valve0
11-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
So glad someone got rid of that troll.

Too bad he'll be back in an hour on another account

shakalaka
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
And if he continues being a douche....he'll get taken care of again :thumbsup:

turbotrip
11-22-2009, 11:23 PM
i was told by a sikh friend that they have to grow out their hair and wear the bangle is because some of them refused to fight in a war a long time ago, so their religious leader at the time said if they act like women they should look like them. i dont know if thats actually true, but thats what he believed?

shakalaka
11-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
i was told by a sikh friend that they have to grow out their hair and wear the bangle is because some of them refused to fight in a war a long time ago, so their religious leader at the time said if they act like women they should look like them. i dont know if thats actually true, but thats what he believed?

LOL if you actually heard that from a Sikh then he's completely ignorant and doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about. And you are crazy gullible.

joyridder
11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
^^please let us know what the hair/turban represents? :dunno:

narou
11-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Im also curious of the true reason why Sikh's don't cut or show their hair. Someone please explain this!

SlickMick
11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
SlickMick`s explanation of Sikhism and growing your hair is misinformed I think, but I am amazed at the hate someone can have for another religion without a real reason.

From what I understand, Sikhs do not cut their hair because their belief is God intended for their bodies to be in their natural form, and not to alter them i.e. cut hair, get tattoos etc. Someone with a better understanding can expand on this if they want.

TurboD was obviously bullied by some brown guys in high school or something, because I have never seen someone with such hate without reason. He does love to start shit on here, but let him get it out, we all know he`d never have the balls to do it out in the real world.

Misinformed, perhaps a bit. I'm Sikh, just not brought up the same way as the person at hand. Its a combo of things, do differentiate from Islamics and Hindus during the creation and turmoil of Sikh society in ancient India, to be respectful to there own body as 5hift had said, to show their devotion to their faith. Hopefully hate like this will be subdued one day. I grew up with whites, asians, blacks and to this day we respect every aspect of peoples lives. Ya and that TurboD is an idiot... weak fuck.

Weapon_R
11-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Sikhs preserve their hair because it is a part of their natural body systems that should not be tampered with. They do not cut their hair because it is an extension of themselves that God created and thus, should remain natural.

sexualbanana
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Instead of making this thread why don't you use your head and talk to the kids parents?
See if they have family members/friends in the same situation and ask the people who wear patkas (what you ignorantly call a bun) what they do?

I think that would be much more productive then posting something like this on a forum where every johhny no name e-shit talker can give his two cents on how other peoples cultures should be handled.

Ps If your coaching a kids bb team, and your to fucking hard headed to even know what his &quot;bun&quot; is called, go get a job where you can be a stupid fuck, like a cop.

First of all, I don't believe it's a turban as it does not look similar to other turbans I've seen in the past which are more similar to the one I've seen his father wear. Though I could be wrong. I don't currently know any Sikhs personally for me to simply ask one of them of the proper terminology for it, therefore I came on here to ask for an opinion. 'Bun' was simply a description, which as you may have noticed in my initial post, was used simply for lack of a better word. How else would you describe something in which you don't know the name of? Had I known it was called a patka, I would have called it a patka.

Second of all, I posted on this forum as a form of research. I don't want to bring it up to the parents without any prior knowledge as to what others have done in the past, I'm hoping that if we can come up with reasonable alternatives based on prior experiences. Seeing as how I have never played basketball on a team with a Sikh, I have no idea how they would handle the problem with having an unsecured patka.

Third, to ensure that it is indeed a patka, I would like to describe the attire in question so as to avoid further confusion. My player has his hair grown out and braided, so it is kept wrapped in a small piece of fabric secured at the top of his head by an elastic band. Needless to say, the elastic band does not do a very good job of staying secure to his head, causing it to come loose often.

shakalaka
11-23-2009, 12:41 AM
What they most likely do is tie the knot of the hair on the top and put a 'rumaal' which is also just a handkerchief around the knot of the hair and put an elastic band around it. Let me guess just the top knot on the head is covered in this so called piece of fabric and rest of the hair can be seen? They are much easier to do when compared to patka's or turbans and that's why people do them quite often on younger kids cause they are more active they tend to move and jump around a lot and having to fix a patka or a turban that often would be too hard and time consuming.

Another reason is that during sports when you sweat a lot this provides the best way of circulation, otherwise under a patka or a turban it would just simply get way too hot. You could try suggesting a patka to this parents and see what they think about it. It is usually more secure, although if you accidentally touch it abruptly or try to move it or anything (eg. tackle sports) it would come right off as well and would be much more time consuming and harder to put back.

This is what a patka looks like
http://www.saldef.org/PR/hathwal.jpg

Nav13
11-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Yea I think a Patka is the solution in this case, my friend was on the team back in highschool and he never had a problem with it coming loose. Neither the student or his parents should feel offended by this request what so ever.

psycoticclown
11-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Thanks for coming out...

Thank GOD! Stupid fucking ignorant piece of shit troll is finally gone :clap:

natejj
11-23-2009, 08:33 AM
To anyone who doesnt understand the cutting of the hair, is it that hard to search it for yourselves....

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesh_%28Sikhism%29

"In Sikhism, Kesh (sometimes Kes) is the practice of allowing one's hair to grow naturally as a symbol of respect for the perfection of God's creation. The practice is one of the Five Ks, the outward symbols ordered by Guru Gobind Singh in 1699 as a means to profess the Sikh faith. The hair is combed twice daily with a Kanga, another of the Five Ks, and tied into a simple knot known as a Joora, or Rishi knot. This knot of hair is usually held in place with the Kanga and covered by a turban."

dharminder
11-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Maybe other Sikhs can correct me if I am wrong about the importance of the turban but what I remember it is the following:

The turban is an identity. In India you have Sikhs, Hindu’s and Muslims. The turban makes you stand out to show everyone that you are a Sikh and not the other two religions.

Back in the day it was also regarded as a helmet when they would go to war.

bimmere92
11-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by dharminder
Maybe other Sikhs can correct me if I am wrong about the importance of the turban but what I remember it is the following:

The turban is an identity. In India you have Sikhs, Hindu’s and Muslims. The turban makes you stand out to show everyone that you are a Sikh and not the other two religions.

Back in the day it was also regarded as a helmet when they would go to war.

the other K's do this as well... including the kara and kirpan but I dont think that was the reasoning behind it. The post(s) above about keeping the body in the natural form as received from God is the reason Sikh's keep their hair and beards.
Nothing more to it.

Trini
11-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

:werd: he really has no class or upbringing
all religions deserve some respect and he shows none at all.
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

FlySi
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Trini

:werd: he really has no class or upbringing

:werd: :werd: :werd: upbringing probably consisted of being fed from a trough. his parents must be barnyard animals

good ban +10

A790
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM

Fuck I wish I would have banned you when I had the chance.

Nav13
11-23-2009, 01:50 PM
I was tryin not to write anything on this thread but i have to comment that TURBO D you must be the dumbest and one of the biggest red necks in town. if you dont know what your talkin about shut the FUCK UP. You dont know anything about the religion as to why they dont cut their hair or even what the religion stands for.

I would explain all of this to you but i think your to stupid to understand. Next time before posting anything do some research

scat19
11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
patkas (what you ignorantly call a bun) what they do?.

Holy fuck calm down there tiger.

It looks like a bun, and the OP doesn't know what its called, so he clearly stated that in the first post. You obviously get easily offended from people not "understanding", I'd say that's more your problem not others. Cool your jets and enjoy wearing your bun.

Smartiepants
11-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd give the OP props for coming to ask about it, imho it was done respectfully, and seeking a solution not passing out blame.

I really don't think he meant to insult anything.

Wasn't ignorant as much as it was straight up didn't know.

JfuckinC
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Holy fuck calm down there tiger.

It looks like a bun, and the OP doesn't know what its called, so he clearly stated that in the first post. You obviously get easily offended from people not &quot;understanding&quot;, I'd say that's more your problem not others. Cool your jets and enjoy wearing your bun.

i called them tur-bun's in highschool lol, no disrespect thats just what it looked like to me! a mini turban/bun. All the brown guys that played on my highschool team had patka's or regular hair cuts. Patka's seemed to work good?

So do Sikhs grow there hair and beard their entire life?? or do they cut it on occasion. Cause i dont think most turbans i have seen could honestly hold like 40-50 years of hair growth.

atgilchrist
11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I could be wrong, but I think hair will only grow a certain length and then slow/stop.

Edit: Yay! TurboD is gone!

adidas
11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Is there a reasoning behind the color of the turban? Does it represent something specific?

shakalaka
11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Color isn't important, mostly people wear it to match their clothes and stuff.

And about the length, pure sikhs that follow properly NEVER cut their hair. Old hair usually starts falling off and stuff and gets replaced by newer hair, so they never end up getting THAT long.

Supa Dexta
11-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Trini

No they don't.. But I also have the option of saying nothing about them, so I normally don't.

Idratherbsidewayz
11-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have been waiting for a while for that fool to get banned. So many ignorant comments. Thanks EK!!

R!zz0
11-24-2009, 08:51 AM
When someone wears a turban, it's like wearing a crown.
In simple terms...They're kings.

But then again, everyone is a king.

Even Singh is king.

http://imovies4you.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/singh-is-kinng.jpg