PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a blown Head Gasket

derpderp
11-22-2009, 06:13 AM
_

rockanrepublic
11-22-2009, 07:09 AM
i would say get one of the beyond members (i would recommend you PM Mr_ET or Primer_Drift and maybe they will give you a ballpark of the costs) to do your swap if you want a friendly well done cheap swap.

i would say you would get a better condition engine if you buy jdm.

ga16i
11-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Yup, swapping in old engines are always a risk. Always a good idea to take the to-be-swapped engine apart and replace all the seals and gaskets before a swap to avoid a potential mysterious p.i.t.a.

I'd probably opt for just a head gasket swap for lowest cost. Getting an engine swap done properly with due care costs way too much in parts. Buddies who can swap engines for you can probably take the head off and change a head gasket for you as well :)

Be sure to have lots of extraneous gaskets and seals ready and upgrade/replace things while you're at it. e.g., water pump, timing belt, etc.

.... but before you go that route.... how long has the head gasket been bad? and has it be overheated a lot or been pushed hard with the bad gasket? Just wondering if you should suspect major damage... loud clanging noises??

derpderp
11-22-2009, 07:50 AM
_

derpderp
11-22-2009, 01:23 PM
_

TE4MFaint
11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
PM Mr_ET.
Trusted member on the boards. I`m sure he could help for a fraction of the cost of a shop.

Viperelite
11-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Its really a matter of time. Swapping the engine would take longer but at the same time it would be just as good to take a weekend in the garage and tear down the engine, put on all the new gaskets and rebuild it back up from the head gasket.

A head gasket is cheap and easy to replace if you have a day or two of free time, don't take it to a shop, will cost a fortune.

ekguy
11-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Getting my head gaskets done on my legend by Mr_Et eventually. He's already done a tranny replacement on my car.

Will probably have some more preventative maintenance done at the same time since half the engine bay will be apart.

Fun cars though I love mine to death. Even though I'm slightly trying to get rid of it hehe.

cocoabrova
11-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
lol ok I took it out and its totally BHG, when you let it run for a little bit of time the knocking goes away but when you rev the engine water comes flying out the tail pipe.

Where do I stand right now? With all that water is tons of shit going to be fucked?

Uhh you should be more concerned with the knock than the BHG, just my opinion but in my experience, if your engine is emitting any kind of "knock" than either your rod or main bearing are effed up. Your block and also since you have a BHG, and heads will need to rebuilt/re-done. Your best bet would be to do an engine swap if you plan on keeping the car-or sell it for whatever you can get and then buy another vehicle.....So basically IMHO you'd be wasting even more $$ on just doing the headgaskets....

P.S. I might be wrong but I think the water coming out of your tailpipe is most likely a by-product of the engine's exhaust fumes passing thru the catalytic converters.....just my opinion though......

derpderp
11-23-2009, 12:55 AM
_

2EFNFAST
11-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
I messaged him but he didn't respond :cry:
Maybe he just isn't to sure of who I am or is to busy.

I'm going to do it myself, I'll get a friend of mine who know a bit more or something to help.

Maybe you want to give him a day or two to respond.......

Have you done a head swap before?

derpderp
11-23-2009, 01:09 AM
_

derpderp
11-23-2009, 01:12 AM
_

2EFNFAST
11-23-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't think this is something you want to learn on the job, unless your friend has done this before and guide you. Nothing worse than spending all the money, doing it, forgetting 1 itsy bitsy detail because of your lack of knowledge, and then time to pull it apart and do it again.