PDA

View Full Version : luxury brands

thich
11-20-2003, 02:03 PM
I just wanna hear everyone's take on where most luxury car manufacturers sit on the luxury/hi-end status spectrum.
some luxury brands have more status than others etc etc.

the big ones i can think of are as follows in no particular order: (please add to the list - i'm not too keen on the euro brands)

BMW
Mercedes Benz
Lexus
Infiniti
Jaguar
Saab
Volvo
Acura
Cadillac
...[please add]

-----

which brand stands on top in terms of image and status?
which brand stands on top in terms of $$$?
which brand stands on top in terms of quality?
which brand stands on top in terms of customer service?

we had a discussion in our marketing class about the status image of MB after it introduced the C-class into the market as an 'affordable' mercedes and how it would detract from MB's image as a hi-end luxury car brand.
we also talked about how BMWs are normally affiliated with young professionals as well and how BMW had to work hard to scrap that image.

so what do you guys and gals think?

rc2002
11-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Image and Status: Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar

$$$: Depends. High end models are all comparable. M5, E55, Jaguar XJ, Q45, LS430...

Quality: Porsche, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura (See JD Power's quality ranking)

Customer Service: Lexus (they pick up your car from your house and give you a courtesy lexus). I hear MB and BMW gouge you for service.

sputnik
11-20-2003, 02:34 PM
maybach, rolls royce, bugatti, bentley...

googe
11-20-2003, 02:40 PM
aston martin :drool:

T5_X
11-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Audi, Lincoln

which brand stands on top in terms of image and status?
Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Bentley, Maybach, Rolls Royce, Lexus

which brand stands on top in terms of $$$?
You mean lowest cost, value-wise? I'd say Infiniti, Volvo and Acura

which brand stands on top in terms of quality?
Acura, Lexus, no disputing that

which brand stands on top in terms of customer service?
Lexus

powerslave
11-20-2003, 11:53 PM
This is somewhat off topic, but speaking of luxury brands, there's something I was wondering about.

Okay, Honda has Acura, Toyota has Lexus, Nissan has Infinity, but what about Mazda?

szw
11-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Kia has Daewoo, or is it the other way around?

MK3HKS
11-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by powerslave
This is somewhat off topic, but speaking of luxury brands, there's something I was wondering about.

Okay, Honda has Acura, Toyota has Lexus, Nissan has Infinity, but what about Mazda?

nothing

ShOwOfF
11-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Isn't Mazda owned by Ford?

davidI
11-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ShOwOfF

I know they have shared a lot of parts in the past but I'm not sure whether Ford owns them or not.

civic_stylez
11-21-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by szw
Kia has Daewoo, or is it the other way around?

hyundai owns kia.. as for daewoo i think theyre owned by monkeys?

C4S
11-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by powerslave

Mazda has "Eunos" :thumbsup:
but now they are Ford anyway .. :( sigh .. I used to like mazda .. but .. now .. :(

04blackMAX
11-21-2003, 12:46 AM
NISSSSSSSSSSSAN MAXXXXXXXXXXXXXIMA

hahahah......poor mans luxury

403Gemini
11-21-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX

still a slick ride. i to much of a fan of the 00-03's tho... i like the 04's tho heh (is that when they changed em? i like the new design)

link785
11-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ShOwOfF

Ford has 35% controlling interest in Mazda... that might not be the exact % number, but it's something around that.

ShOwOfF
11-21-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX

Is the length of the sunroof longer from the front end of the car to the rear end of the car rather than longer from one side of the car to the other? Im not sure but i think i saw a sunroof like this on the new maxima.

girlRACER
11-21-2003, 01:09 AM
In terms of image and status...BMW and Mercedes.
Personally I don't consider Acura a luxury brand with cars like the 1.6 EL and RSX (not to say that they're not nice). Acura, to me, is border-line luxury.

In terms of quality...Lexus and Infiniti.

Customer Service...Lexus.

And I agree on the whole Mercedes thing. Not necessarily the C-class because the C-class has been around for awhile but the C-Coupe definitely (even though I love that car :love: )

max_boost
11-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Cadillac is reinventing themselves and will be a force to be reckon with. Not sure how accurate JD Power is but Cadillac is number 1 in service.

As for the comment on RSX not being a luxury car, I agree! Although it is very well equipped for its price, Acura just doesn't carry enough to warrant in the mind's of consumers in being a luxury brand. Maybe because the manufacturer does not produce enough high end vehicles to compete against the Infiniti's/Lexus/BMW/Benz

max_boost
11-21-2003, 01:24 AM
One thing is certain, the BMW 3 Series owns everyone in the same class haha:thumbsup: It's been the bench mark for how long?:D

C4S
11-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
One thing is certain, the BMW 3 Series owns everyone in the same class haha:thumbsup: It's been the bench mark for how long?:D

Yes Turth .... :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

ehos
11-21-2003, 08:17 AM
The RSX isn't supposed to the 'luxury' type, that's the TSX, or the CL's, TL's etc.

Not really top of the line luxury, more like affordable, dependable type.

T5_X
11-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Maybe because the manufacturer does not produce enough high end vehicles to compete against the Infiniti's/Lexus/BMW/Benz

Lots of "luxury" manufacturers are like that though, have entry level borderline luxury cars. Infiniti had the G20 for years, which was less luxurious and powerful than the Maxima. I would not consider a base Volvo V70, S60 or any S40 (this generation) luxury. Same goes for base SAAB 9-3s. And base audi A4s and BMW 3 series are not luxury cars. Come one, those are used as taxis and cop cars in eurpoe ;)

There are few companies who have kept thier entire line up through thier history luxury... save for the hyper-luxo brands like rolls royce, Lexus has done an excellent job (any other company would have put the Solara under their luxo designation) Mercedes and Jaguar probably too, but they get awfully close to the border.

thich
11-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
[B]In terms of image and status...BMW and Mercedes.
Personally I don't consider Acura a luxury brand with cars like the 1.6 EL and RSX (not to say that they're not nice). Acura, to me, is border-line luxury.

yeah, i was wondering a lot about Acura since it has the RSX and the 1.6... border-line for sure.

--

i thought Ford owned 100% of Mazda as of 2002?

hjr
11-21-2003, 11:05 AM
the newest thing in luxury cars is entry level luxury. C class MB, lower 3 series, lexus IS300, Jag Xtype just to name a few. they lure people to the brand with cheaper modles and sell them as life customers. later when more money is had they will move up... I really dont see that many true luxury cars on the roads around here very often...

C4S
11-21-2003, 11:11 AM
:eek:

No one mention PORSCHE ?? yes, they are sports, performace cars.. + Luxury and Technology ! :bigpimp:

ckruzel
11-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Image and Status: Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar

$$$: Depends. High end models are all comparable. M5, E55, Jaguar XJ, Q45, LS430...

Quality: Porsche, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura (See JD Power's quality ranking)

Customer Service: Lexus (they pick up your car from your house and give you a courtesy lexus). I hear MB and BMW gouge you for service.

i am a service advisor for a mercedes benz dealership, we do not gouge anything for that service, it comes free of charge just like lexus, pick up and deliver and loaner if requested

Hakkola
11-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ckruzel

i am a service advisor for a mercedes benz dealership, we do not gouge anything for that service, it comes free of charge just like lexus, pick up and deliver and loaner if requested

:werd:

I'm only 19 and I get respect. When my car was in the shop I had a loaner Benz for almost a week and I didn't even have a warranty on my car.

Roaring G60
11-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Audi service is very high as well, for having to replace the remote key, we recieved a follow up phone call as well as winter wiper blades and washer fluid fill all for free, not bad in my opinion, no hassel just drive up into the audi advantage bay, (4 years or 80,000 kilometres, whichever comes first, no-charge scheduled maintenance. Audi 24-hour Roadside Assistance for 4 years)

Hakkola
11-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
Come one, those are used as taxis and cop cars in eurpoe ;)

So is the E-class, it's still a luxury car though. I do agree though, I don't really consider the 3-series or C-class to be a luxury car unless it is fully loaded and highest model, c320 and 330 are borderline, C32, M3 are more like luxury cruisers/ sports cars in my opinion.

C4S
11-21-2003, 06:37 PM

A4s and BMW 3 series are not luxury cars. Come one, those are used as taxis and cop cars in eurpoe ;)

:thumbsdow

So ... what is your point ? I don't see it.
I saw Porsche 911 as cop cars, so ?
Royce Rolls as shultte car, so ?
Taxi drivers wear Rolex, so ?

thich
11-21-2003, 07:08 PM
i see porsche more of a sports car though..... could it really be considered a car in the luxury segment?

T5_X
11-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by C4S

:thumbsdow

So ... what is your point ? I don't see it.
I saw Porsche 911 as cop cars, so ?
Royce Rolls as shultte car, so ?
Taxi drivers wear Rolex, so ?

Go to any european forum and ask if ppl think a base BMW 3 series or Audi A4 is a luxury car. The only reason people think they are luxury cars here is because of the name. Once again BASE models which you did not include in your quote of my post.

girlRACER
11-22-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by ckruzel

Then how do you explain the fact that I got charged $200 for warranty work for a dash-light bulb. (I had to call Mercedes Canada to get them to sort things out before I could get my money back)

They also wanted to charge me $200 to install a new bulb ifor my fog light. Instead I ended up buying the bulb for $10 and getting my friend who is an amateur who did it in 20 minutes.

Then the fact that I was left stranded at school when my car was serviced. Took transit home and had to cab it to the dealership. And a loaner was never offered to me ever.

The list goes on. I'm not happy with the service there. :thumbsdow

girlRACER
11-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Also...do you know Michelle at Lonestar?? She's a prime example of bad customer service.

C4S
11-22-2003, 02:36 AM

Go to any european forum and ask if ppl think a base BMW 3 series or Audi A4 is a luxury car. The only reason people think they are luxury cars here is because of the name. Once again BASE models which you did not include in your quote of my post.

Yes Funny .. a Canadian Forum, and try to qoute from European Forum, why not go to a Japan Forum, ask if any BMW or audi is a luxury car. When I was in HK, I won't consider A4 or 3 series luxury car as well, they are more common then Civic, however, we are in Canada now... so .. ....:dunno:
Go to Chinnook, or downtown, ask people if a BMW 3 series, or an Audi A4 a luxury car or not.

If we set the price for over $50K, then we can take a 320I and A4 1.8 out. :burnout:
Some people even tried to put TSX or Maxima on the list ....

Ben
11-22-2003, 02:37 AM
There are alot of cars in Europe we do not get to see here in North America. The Audi A8/S8 are rivals to the new Mercedes, and the New VW Phaeton...yeh, its no slouch either....

Originally posted by girlRACER

Then how do you explain the fact that I got charged $200 for warranty work for a dash-light bulb. (I had to call Mercedes Canada to get them to sort things out before I could get my money back)

They also wanted to charge me $200 to install a new bulb ifor my fog light. Instead I ended up buying the bulb for $10 and getting my friend who is an amateur who did it in 20 minutes.

Then the fact that I was left stranded at school when my car was serviced. Took transit home and had to cab it to the dealership. And a loaner was never offered to me ever.

The list goes on. I'm not happy with the service there. :thumbsdow

hahaha, so funny, I read the Gouging comment above and immediatly was reminded of you and was gonna post the exact same thing. You get the Shaft from MB all the time :banghead:

max_boost
11-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Is VW a luxury brand? No
Is the Phaeton (sp) a luxury car? Hellz yah
I don't think there are many manufacturers that are all luxury (high end) Bentley? I don't know anything about those except the Queen rides in them haha

itsnotaDUB
11-22-2003, 07:05 AM
im in love with teh PHAETON..... those are crazy luxury.. .acnt wait to drive one.

Ben
11-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Is VW a luxury brand? No
I don't think there are many manufacturers that are all luxury (high end) Bentley? I don't know anything about those except the Queen rides in them haha

yeah i know, its just not common though where you can have entry level family cars as well as ultra posh executive rides.

Moe Man
11-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Is VW a luxury brand? No

if you want luxury in a vw you can get it there are options,and as for honda or mazda etc.your fucked over :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
11-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

if you want luxury in a vw you can get it there are options,and as for honda or mazda etc.your fucked over :thumbsup: Depends entirely on your definition of luxury.

max_boost
11-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

if you want luxury in a vw you can get it there are options,and as for honda or mazda etc.your fucked over :thumbsup: Like what options? Heated seats? Leather? Sunroof? lol :rofl:

Toms-Celica
11-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Nobody much talks about SAAB:

I want you all to take a trip to your local dealer and try the new SAAB 9-5. I die :drool: At this point in time I would whore my body out for a SAAB 9-3 Convertable.

SAAB has really improved over time, if you have ever driven an older way you may not have liked it. But enough talking, they have changed. Take one out for yourself.

Toms-Celica
11-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Saab 9-3 Convert
http://www.saab.com/main/image/photo_gallery/2004/93c_ext_6.jpg
Saab 9-3 Sport
http://www.saab.com/main/image/photo_gallery/2004/93s_ext_2.jpg
Saab 9-5 Aero
http://www.saab.com/main/image/photo_gallery/2004/95s_ext_1.jpg

lam-boy
11-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Like what options? Heated seats? Leather? Sunroof? lol :rofl:

haha thats what i thought..:dunno:

ZorroAMG
11-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Girl Racer, the problem is, you deal with Lonestar...Hyatt is MUCH better.

Hakkola
11-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Girl Racer, the problem is, you deal with Lonestar...Hyatt is MUCH better.

New ownership??? Weren't they in the paper for business malpractice or something a couple years ago???

nismodrifter
11-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Hyatt IS much better....only been there for parts but they are much more friendlier than the stupid lone star people who leave you waiting at the desk for like 10 minutes. Then a guy comes out and says "we'll be right with you"

then you tell them that you are in need of a $20 part and they give you a bad look (ie..why are you wasting my time on such a small piece)

Went to Hyatt for small parts a few times (window track slides, glow plugs..) and they not only are happy to help you but also had the parts WELL below what Lone Star was selling them for...

kenny
11-23-2003, 05:23 PM
I dunno thats weird, I find lonestar service to be really awesome. The guy at the parts desk knows me by name which is a nice touch not just another customer ordering parts. If you are waiting 10 minutes at the parts desk, did you not notice there is a buzzer there? :rofl:

The service advisors are nice too, everytime I drop off the car for any work, warranty or not I always get a loaner vehicle free of charge only issue here is that they wouldn't let me borrow the SL55 that was sitting on the lot once :) haha

I had a bad experience with Lonestar once, but the way they handled the situation was :thumbsup: in my books. One of the service technicians took my car out for a testdrive to try to diagnose a problem and I guess the car was lower than he thought it was and he cracked my bumper. Lonestar ended up buying me a brand new bumper, had it all painted and installed it for me, of course free because it was one of their tech's fault. The dealership handled it very nicely, but to this day the tech that worked on my car still doesn't admit to it.

With every dealership there will always be the bad apples that create a bad name for them, but in the end its all about how the dealership itself handles it.

nismodrifter
11-23-2003, 07:12 PM
kenny: I hit the buzzer.....many times :) still nobody comes out, then I usually go ask somebody else who is standing around to find somebody who can help me out

Skyline_Addict
11-23-2003, 11:48 PM
yeah, acura is borderline luxury.
if considered a luxury brand, consider it's entry level car...the 1.7EL. It really is a Honda Civic with an Acura badge and practically nothing else.
what acura makes is dependable, affordable, good quality, good value for money cars.

Weapon_R
11-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
yeah, acura is borderline luxury.
if considered a luxury brand, consider it's entry level car...the 1.7EL. It really is a Honda Civic with an Acura badge and practically nothing else.
what acura makes is dependable, affordable, good quality, good value for money cars.

While the EL and RSX aren't true luxury cars, they do have a touch of elegance to them that isn't offered by most of the vehicles in their price range. It's hard to find a nice compact car with all of the nice touches of an EL in the price range, and same goes to the RSX.

When comparing true luxury, however, turn your attention towards the TL, CL, and RL. All three offer excellent value for the money, and they all have some very nice features about them that rival some of the most luxurious vehicles available today.