PDA

View Full Version : Crooks: Calling you out.

derpderp
11-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Neil4Speed
11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I am sorry to hear about your bad luck man.

This is cold comfort for sure, but the BHG problem is usually with Second Generation Legends, and rare and far between on the first generation Legends. Opening up the C27 motor and replacing them is less of a task for sure - anyways, best of luck regardless of your decision for the car. Maybe attempt the repair yourself? Get something out of this situation?

Its important to get cars properly inspected prior to purchasing, not to rub salt in the wound or anything. There is also a possibility that the owner didn't know about the BHG if there was no overheating occurring.

funnyguy
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
you should be calling yourself out (oh wait...) for not doing your homework on a vehicle purchase.

save the sobbing stories. welcome to the real world.

InLoveWitRSX
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
yeah maybe the owner didn't know about the problem since for him it went away after a few minutes

Graham_A_M
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't worry about being 21 and living at home in these times.

A lot of people are having to move back in with their parents after being laid off from their choice job: and now having to try to stay afloat with these $10-14/hr jobs, that is if they can even find one.

Sucks to hear though... yes it is partially your fault for not doing "due dilligence" on the sale, but definately unethical on his behalf.
There is a pay-site called All-Data (here: http://www.alldata.com/home/ )
That shows you exactly how to perform the repairs yourself, with a very detailed manual. I'd see if someone on here already has a subscription and see if you can download/print off the repair guide for your car.

With that: you can fix the car yourself (or with your dad) for merely the cost of parts.

craigcd
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity to learn how to replace a head gasket! Go practise at PYP maybe then do it yourself.

se7en
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
v6 or 4 cyl car?

just learn to repair it.

honda/acura stuff is like lego. any kid can build em :)

too bad about your shitty deal though...if I lived in calgary, I'd give ya a hand changing out the gasket.

ps...4cyl 90's honda engine head gaskets can be changed out in like a hour or two if you know what your doing...

derpderp
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Kavy
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by funnyguy
you should be calling yourself out (oh wait...) for not doing your homework on a vehicle purchase.

save the sobbing stories. welcome to the real world.

You made an account just to post this?

You wont last long, douche.

TomcoPDR
11-22-2009, 03:37 PM
You got time to make money OP. By the time I was 21 I lost everything in the stock market... washed dishes for $6/hr... this was only a few years ago.

I wasn't completely clear on the story, is the car still "driveable" as an in-city point A-B type of car?

derpderp
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM

derpderp
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM

derpderp
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM

JordanAndrew
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear this happen. Definitely a good learning experience that you will always remember. It's a tough situation but you can't do much about it seeing as most if not all used car sold is sold "as is".

Just bounce back man, get your shit together again. It's with experiences like this that makes a person appreciate the good things in life, even if it's the simple things. I don't know if this will help but at least he didn't scam you for more money. $2000 can be achieved fairly quickly. Unless you really want to keep the car, I say cut your losses and just save up for another one. Fixing up this car might cost you more than what it's worth.

derpderp
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM

TE4MFaint
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM
There are multiple users on these forums that are heavily mechanically inclined that I`m sure would tackle the job for a huge price difference compared to a shop.

Try PM`ing MR_ET
he has done various work for guys around the board.

01RedDX
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM

A790
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
There are multiple users on these forums that are heavily mechanically inclined that I`m sure would tackle the job for a huge price difference compared to a shop.

Try PM`ing MR_ET
he has done various work for guys around the board.
I was just going to suggest this.

derpderp
11-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Iqoair
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
This doesn't even remotely prove that it needs a head gasket. If your bellowing white smoke out the tailpipe then maybe yes. Dry reservoir doesn't mean you have a head gasket issue although it wouldn't surprise me if it did need one. Just a tip for the future, engine knocking on start up isn't good :) I don't feel sympathy for you, spend the $100 and get whatever your looking at purchasing checked out before handing over money.

derpderp
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM

Iqoair
11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by derpderp

lol it is all the water coming from the tail pipe and a lovely smell of coolant coming from the exaust.

I thought a knock on a cold car isn't much of anything to worry about? Would it be related to the head gasket in the end anyways?

And like I said you don't have to feel bad for me, it was my fault in the end, I should have been more vigilant and let excitement take me away. I was just letting what happened sink in and I was pretty choked and just need to rant.

ok going to bed for real this time

Is the coolant level dropping in comparison to what is coming out the tailpipe?

traviswithaG
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
if your are that broke and your going to take it apart your self there is a good chance it will be apart for a while so take the time to label everything and sort all the bolts and nuts via labeled baggies or sticking them into a pieace of cardboard hanging on the wall. that way if its sits apart for a while when u come back to it figuring out what went where is easier.

Tik-Tok
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
A ticking on start up isn't much to worry about (unless you owe the mafia some money), a knocking is definitely a worrying noise.

Lesson learned.

As said, headgaskets aren't difficult. It's your first car, time to learn how to be a mechanic :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
If you wanted to replace your engine with a low mileage one from Japan, go here.
http://www.jdmsource.ca/v2/inventory.asp?CatID=1
Its a local Calgary based engine importer.
The cool part is you can swap out the tired old engine, and install something with quite a bit more pep to it.
TONS of info for doing the swap, or the owner of JDM source can direct you to a decent mechanic that can do the swap for around $500-700.

(just another option for you)

SRT10Killer
11-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Did I miss something ? what happen to the seller? I'm sure you bothered to contact him, the address and the info is on the bill of sale you could have atleast listened to his lie of an explanation or beat it out of him ?

Hondas are cheap/easy to fix, google up forums for you category

Weapon_R
11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I think a swap is in order. Fixing the headgasket isn't going to fix your engine knock

sr20s14zenki
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately these things are really buyer beware. Next time bring a friend who knows cars with you. Ive seen this happen countless times, guys who know nothing about cars going to buy a car, and being taken by some asshole who knows damn well the problem is there, but is hoping you wont see it. And what if you do? Next buyer may not, some guys just make a living doing this kind of shit. I too would say engine swap,altho ive never taken that particular engine apart. Sorry bout your luck man, learn your lesson for next time, or it could be way more than 2k.

FivE.SeveN
11-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Just take this as a learning experience, go borrow some tools and swap in a new motor.

Mechanical stuff isn't that daunting. It's just pieces of metal that screw together, when you break it all down. I guarantee, fix it up yourself and you'll be better for it. Hell you may even like it enough to make a job out of it.

Tik-Tok
11-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
If you wanted to replace your engine with a low mileage one from Japan, go here.
http://www.jdmsource.ca/v2/inventory.asp?CatID=1
Its a local Calgary based engine importer.
The cool part is you can swap out the tired old engine, and install something with quite a bit more pep to it.

+1 for this, I just bought a Subie OBS with a blown headgasket (2.2L engine 130hp), bought a 2.5L (165hp) from these guys for $800, took me about 10 hours to do the swap, and now it runs like a dream. (just be sure you're buying a compatible engine)

Mr_ET
11-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Just read this thread, I feel bad for you OP.

If you guys do decide to rip into the engine and take the head off, first start by simply draining the oil and checking for metal shavings in the pan.

If the engine knocks, there is a chance you might see metal shavings and if that's the case either rod or crank bearings are on their way out and you either need a full rebuild or a swap.

Without seeing or hearing the car, I'm not even sure it has a blown head gasket or an engine knock.

Why not take it for an inspection and see what a tech says?

Does it feel down on power, does it overheat?

mr.13secprobe
11-29-2009, 02:07 AM
This would be a great chance to learn.

My first car was $400 and it stalled on my way home. LOL

I fixed the rough idle and tuned up the engine by myself and I ended up selling the car for $900.