PDA

View Full Version : Perogies

nykz
11-23-2009, 02:16 AM
I have been craving these lately and couldn't find them at local groceries stores. Do they sell them anywhere? Would love to buy some to make at home :dunno:

schocker
11-23-2009, 02:22 AM
I am pretty sure they have them at every grocery store...
Last ones I got were from coop.

nykz
11-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, I looked at superstore today.. couldn't find them. I'll try coop! Thanks

EDIT:

Other than the classic sour cream + bacon bits to go with the perogies. Does anybody have any other different combinations or foods I should eat perogies with that are good? Would like to mix it up every now and then :drool:

saiyajin
11-23-2009, 02:51 AM
shredded cheese and chopped green onions

rockanrepublic
11-23-2009, 07:41 AM
bake them
boil them
fry them
green onions
sour cream
bacon bits
onion(friends do it)
shredded cheese for sure (melted on is great too)
i always eat them with sausages
and for sure try making your own there soooo much better.

Kritafo
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
yes superstore sells them, they have no-name and cheemo they are in the freezer section. I can't think of a grocery store that doesn't have them. I buy the variety pack it's has the potato and onion, potato and cheese, potato with romano and bacon and potato with cottage cheese.

http://www.cheemo.com/products.htm

Kielbasa dipped in Horseradish mustard, and beets, my brother in law eats them with salsa

almerick
11-23-2009, 09:44 AM
My freezer is full of them, I usually just boil, then put seasoning salt on them. But the sour cream + bacon bits + chives is the best!

sputnik
11-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I make my own.

They really aren't that hard to make and they are WAY better than the dry starchy ones you get at the store.

Mar
11-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Safeway has them for sure.

n1zm0
11-23-2009, 10:17 AM
carmelized onions, dijon mustard and mofaking saurkraut :drool:

speaking of which, i have them for lunch today :clap:
got them from safeway on saturday, but as said, they are in every large grocery store.

Tik-Tok
11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by nykz
Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, I looked at superstore today.. couldn't find them. I'll try coop! Thanks

They're in the freezer section, pretty hard to miss, every grocery store carries them.

sputnik
11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I top my perogies with the following.

- Fried bacon bits
- Chopped onion fried in some of the bacon fat
- Sour cream

I also pan fry my perogies in butter until they are nicely browned.

GQBalla
11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
best perogies are from Manitoba.

but supposedly there is a store here in calgary that sells home made ones

nykz
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Guess I just wasn't looking hard enough, some of the methods you guys posted and the dips are different, will definitely try :thumbsup: Thanks everyone:drool:

nykz
11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
best perogies are from Manitoba.

but supposedly there is a store here in calgary that sells home made ones

Has anyone tried any perogies from this place? As well as know where about this place is located.. Sounds tempting, homemade is always best, but with limited time, one can only do so much :(

GQBalla
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
it might be this place.

im not sure though

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=ukrainian+food+calgary&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=ukrainian+food&hnear=calgary&cid=0,0,4513752001712403448&ei=us8KS-TKJIPOsQPC3ejACQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQnwIwAA

sputnik
11-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
it might be this place.

im not sure though

That place sells perogies from a cart at most farmers markets.

They arent very good.

reiRei
11-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Since moving here to Kelowna, I've gotta say, Cecils Perogies are delicious... not sure what they do, but they're amazing :drool:

brandon
11-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
Since moving here to Kelowna, I've gotta say, Cecils Perogies are delicious... not sure what they do, but they're amazing :drool:

:werd: Best perogies I've ever had.

GQBalla
11-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

That place sells perogies from a cart at most farmers markets.

They arent very good.

hrm might not be them than.

from what ive heard theres a place in calgary that has the best perogies

Pollywog
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Lol, I was going to start a perogie thread a few months ago. I either saute' with butter and onions, boil + dip in heated condensed mushroom soup, bake in a casserole dish with a can of mushroom soup, or boil/bake with cheese and bacon with a dollop of sour cream to dip them in.

Im going to go make some right now, too good.

Kritafo
11-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I heard that Russian place Troyka has them, can't confirm but I have tried a bunch of places Polish/Russian/Ukrainian places that have them, and none of them have been very good so far. My mother in law made the best...unfortunately I don't have her recipe, she passed away unexpectedly and never got the recipe. She would go on a spree a couple times a year and make up hundreds for the freezer.

Dumbass17
11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
woodys taphouse has 10cent perogies on mondays!

Disoblige
11-23-2009, 01:48 PM
When I'm lazy, I bake. Otherwise, I fry in a pan OR deep-fry them which tastes incredible. Love the nice crisp on the outside. I hate just plain boiled perogies.

brown_guy
11-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I make my own :drool: so so so good....

ekguy
11-23-2009, 02:54 PM
My gf thaws them out a bit then fries them up in a frying pan while gently sprinkling a bit of Cayenne pepper on them as they cook. Gives them a tiny bit of bite which is then very easily balanced with the sour cream and bacon bits.

masoncgy
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
If you want something really scrumptious, make perogy casserole... you can use whatever flavour of perogies you want...

- Grease up a 9x13 pan... take the frozen perogies and line the bottom with them so it's a full layer...

- Chop up a large green pepper and a yellow onion and toss that into a frying pan with some butter... just to soften them up a bit...

- Chop up a package of cooked ham... give it a toss in the frying pan with the pepper & onions... pour this evenly over the perogies...

- Dump a large can of mushroom soup in a bowl and add about 1/2 cup of milk... mix it up & pour it evenly over the perogies/peppers/onions/ham...

- Sprinkle a bunch of shredded cheddar cheese over top... toss in the oven, uncovered, at 375F for about 35 minutes...

Remove... enjoy... and go back for 2nds and 3rds...

You're welcome! ;) :thumbsup:

Pollywog
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Lol, I was going to start a perogie thread a few months ago. I either saute' with butter and onions, boil + dip in heated condensed mushroom soup, bake in a casserole dish with a can of mushroom soup, or boil/bake with cheese and bacon with a dollop of sour cream to dip them in.

Im going to go make some right now, too good.
Results from earlier:
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/Ogpogo/pero1.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/Ogpogo/pero2.jpg

Four cheese Cheemo's + white cheddar + orange cheddar + pizza mozzarella + bacon + chives + sour cream = yummy stuff. Boiled for 4min and then baked for 12-15min.

Ajay
11-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by reiRei

:werd: :werd: :werd:

nykz
11-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Results from earlier:

Four cheese Cheemo's + white cheddar + orange cheddar + pizza mozzarella + bacon + chives + sour cream = yummy stuff. Boiled for 4min and then baked for 12-15min.

I'm going to have to say, that looks so gooooooood. Craving them so bad right now :drool: :drool:

Bizzareo
11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Jans meat deli has them! Its on crow child in the NW there handmade there! Way better than superstore garbage!

Get the fruit filled ones! Best!

Kritafo
11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo
Jans meat deli has them! Its on crow child in the NW there handmade there! Way better than superstore garbage!

Get the fruit filled ones! Best!

Really Jan's.. I thought they were terrible. Maybe we had a bad batch we stopped going there a while ago. Had a bad meat experience there. But I would run for their homemade pasty on the weekends.

extm88
11-24-2009, 05:04 PM
i went through a stretch where everyday for lunch ide throw a handful in the water, then fry them to add some texture and douce them in bbq and hot sauce with some shredded cheese and either mix it with shredded ham or chicken.
Took about 2 weeks before i noticed it building a beer gut but damn was it worth it.

Numi
11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I boil mine than pan fry them.

Try salsa and sour cream.

Or cover them in some spaghetti sauce while there in the frying pan.. Pretty good.

Pollywog
11-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by extm88
i went through a stretch where everyday for lunch ide throw a handful in the water, then fry them to add some texture and douce them in bbq and hot sauce with some shredded cheese and either mix it with shredded ham or chicken.
Took about 2 weeks before i noticed it building a beer gut but damn was it worth it.
Im definitely going to have to try that out.

swak
11-24-2009, 10:48 PM
My grandma makes THE BEST perogies. Mashed potatos and cheese. So damn good.

Boiled then fried.
-Sour Cream
-Toast for good measures....

Life is good.

rockanrepublic
11-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by swak

Boiled then fried.
-Sour Cream

Life is good.
thats my usual session :D

Tik-Tok
11-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by swak

Boiled then fried.
-Sour Cream

Life is good.

Yeah, mine used to make awesome perogies, one of the best memories of my childhood when we visited her... she hasn't cooked for years now unfortunately :(

403Gemini
11-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
If you want something really scrumptious, make perogy casserole... you can use whatever flavour of perogies you want...

- Grease up a 9x13 pan... take the frozen perogies and line the bottom with them so it's a full layer...

- Chop up a large green pepper and a yellow onion and toss that into a frying pan with some butter... just to soften them up a bit...

- Chop up a package of cooked ham... give it a toss in the frying pan with the pepper & onions... pour this evenly over the perogies...

- Dump a large can of mushroom soup in a bowl and add about 1/2 cup of milk... mix it up & pour it evenly over the perogies/peppers/onions/ham...

- Sprinkle a bunch of shredded cheddar cheese over top... toss in the oven, uncovered, at 375F for about 35 minutes...

I HAVE to try this!!! thanks man! :thumbsup:

Kardon
11-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

I'll try that aswell

LowRiderHD2000
11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Great Perogies at the Blackfoot Flea Market.

Also great perogies at Second To None Meats. Plus grab some amazing bacon to fry up.

7400 Macleod Trail South - Second To None Meats. They also have 3 other stores.

Kritafo
11-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000
Great Perogies at the Blackfoot Flea Market.

Also great perogies at Second To None Meats. Plus grab some amazing bacon to fry up.

7400 Macleod Trail South - Second To None Meats. They also have 3 other stores.

I am going past second to none in bowness today...I will see if they have them there, because I haven't seen them in the store at that location before. If they do! Yippeee!

Which bacon do you get I tend to buy the elk bacon.. or the breakfast sausage.

88CRX
11-25-2009, 01:42 PM
The Hose & Hound pub in Inglewood has amazing perogies :drool:

You guys baking them in the oven do you defrost them first?

slowy
11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
dash of oregano is key to perogies!!!

LowRiderHD2000
11-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Which bacon do you get I tend to buy the elk bacon.. or the breakfast sausage.

I have only tried out a roast from Second to None Meats. It was one of the best cuts I ahve ever cooked. Great meat!

Kritafo
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000

I have only tried out a roast from Second to None Meats. It was one of the best cuts I ahve ever cooked. Great meat!

Sorry I thought you meant you got bacon at Second to None since it read "Plus grab some amazing bacon to fry up"...yes I haven't had any bad cuts of meat from STNM...it's all good.

I see on their website the perogies are Baba's ..and I am hoping they have the Saskatoon berry ones..lol. ... guess we are having perogies tonight well I hope.

ahh the Montgomery location only has Saucy Ladies brand and I am not a big fan of there. So he is going to order some Baba's at this location for me...they are terrific at STNM!

ekguy
11-26-2009, 02:32 PM
For thos who are going to try and bake em for the first time what do you bake them at? I am thinking 350 is enough???

sputnik
11-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Why would you bake them?

ekguy
11-26-2009, 03:01 PM

Results from earlier:

this is why. I want to try and re-create this.

Ajay
11-26-2009, 06:06 PM
What temperature where they baked at?

Weapon_R
11-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

You guys baking them in the oven do you defrost them first?

Yeah or else you might get cold centers!

DJ Lazy
11-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Results from earlier:

Those look fawking amazing... gonna have to try that. :drool: Just pick up 2KG of perogies tonight.

ekguy
11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I guess and baked mine at 350 for the duration that Pollywog at put on those pics. They turned out pretty good. A little soggy for my tastes so I may fry them next time instead of boiling them first.

ornamental
11-27-2009, 09:12 PM
i cant believe nobody has mentioned European Deli at 37th street near 17 ave sw. it next to a music store and they carry all different kinds including berry perogies. they have lunch specials too... with cabage rolls and polish sausage

Kritafo
11-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ornamental
i cant believe nobody has mentioned European Deli at 37th street near 17 ave sw. it next to a music store and they carry all different kinds including berry perogies. they have lunch specials too... with cabage rolls and polish sausage

Is that the one near Westbrook? If it is, wasn't impressed with their perogies or cabbage rolls though they had great sausage.

78si
11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Pazzer's Saskatchewan Pub
5032 16 Ave NW
:rofl:

ornamental
11-27-2009, 10:16 PM
yup just south of westbrook. im not european, but tastes good to me.

Kritafo
11-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 78si
Pazzer's Saskatchewan Pub
5032 16 Ave NW
:rofl:

I wondered if they had some...but this will not be the weekend to check them out....I am sure they are booked!

bignerd
11-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Google any perogy dough recipe. Fill with blueberries, cinnamon and sugar. Boil until they float, then fry in butter(husband likes his boiled, I like mine boiled and fried a bit). Remove from pan, add more butter and bread crumbs until browned, pour over. You can also mix some sour cream with sugar and top with that also.

I have had the blueberry perogies from Jans but seems like they literally just put blueberries in a perogy-no sugar or cinnamon?