PDA

View Full Version : How to network while job searching

megafandrew
11-23-2009, 07:05 PM
I have a general question related to careers. How are young people or similar with little networking connections/work experience to go about doing this in a job search. I am 21, I am a millwright apprentice working as a labourer currently and I have not worked at very many places.

I mentioned to a few of my friends and co-workers I am looking for millwright work but seldom here anything back or when they do take my resume I wonder what happened with it. I blame this partly on economy obviously as I am not the only apprentice not working in his/her chosen trade.

What is the sense behind networking? Is it truly the only way to find work right now (I have been told this many times over by others) I have worked at Syncrude as a student apprentice Co-oP but I dont think its appropiate to be emailing a past recruiter or supervisor and asking them if there is any chance they could hand my resume in directly?

How do you guys network when job searching and is the above mentioned appropiate? This is frustrating Ive been out of my apprentice trade for over a year now and Im about to drop it altogether and explore something else. :banghead: :facepalm: lol

Jlude
11-23-2009, 07:09 PM
at 21, it's hard to have a "network" built up.

It's usually built by proving yourself in the industry, people need to know that you're able to get things done.

ExtraSlow
11-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Networking is a slow process. Very few people can network themselves into a first or second job. For a person in your position, I'd think of networking now as a way to find the job AFTER your next one, which will be a few years away.

That being said, it's prudent to start building your network. Join an industry association, play in a sporting leauge or join a social group. It's actually a lot like finding a girlfriend, just think of it as a girlfriend that pays for you. Much tougher.

If you find someone who you seem to have a connection with, discuss the industry with them. Ask if they know who is hiring right now. Don't ask them for a job, ask for help in finding a job. That's much easier for them, much less commitment.

Anyway, get out there, meet some people and look at this as a long term process.

megafandrew
11-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Networking is a slow process. Very few people can network themselves into a first or second job. For a person in your position, I'd think of networking now as a way to find the job AFTER your next one, which will be a few years away.

That being said, it's prudent to start building your network. Join an industry association, play in a sporting leauge or join a social group. It's actually a lot like finding a girlfriend, just think of it as a girlfriend that pays for you. Much tougher.

If you find someone who you seem to have a connection with, discuss the industry with them. Ask if they know who is hiring right now. Don't ask them for a job, ask for help in finding a job. That's much easier for them, much less commitment.

Anyway, get out there, meet some people and look at this as a long term process.

Thanks guys. Etra, that is an interesting way to look at it lol (the girlfriend thing) I guess that is how it seems to be. I definitely need to get out there more, Ive never been too much of a social butterfly or what ever they call that (I go out but Im not at the bars every weekend or the leader of a pack) I am going to try and get out to small things like the 780tuners meet ups and mabey join the longboard clud of Edmonton to start meeting more people. My good contacts so far go as far as family and a few co-workers.

The reason Im wanting to network is I would like to get away from oilsands/field work and get myself into the automotive technician industry and start anywhere from there (lube tech or shop helper etc.) to eventually get to an apprenticeship. I worry alot about being to old as Im almost 22 though to be looking at getting into this stuff now.

toastgremlin
11-26-2009, 01:10 AM
For something 'cheap' and fairly instant, you might want to try LinkedIn - I don't know how applicable it is to your specific career but it helped me out with finding where people I've met previously ended up.