PDA

View Full Version : Cold draft from fireplace ?

yobi5888
11-24-2009, 10:27 AM
The gas fireplace in the living room constantly have a cold draft blowing from some holes on the mount, is it normal?

I understand there have to be some kind of fresh air intake for it to work safely, but in winter time it is really cold in the living room because of this.

Any fireplace expert out there?

im2fst4u
11-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Check to see if you have a vent control that you can close.
I know on the older fireplaces you had to reach up inside the chimney a little ways to close the vent handle.
I just looked at my gas fireplace and there is no vent on mine but I also do not feel any cold air coming from it.

:dunno:

masoncgy
11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Does it have a damper? If so, make sure it's closed.

You shouldn't be getting any drafts in there if the fireplace is in decent condition and the damper is closed.

n1zm0
11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
the flue is the vent i believe it's called, i have a gas fireplace enclosed tho, however there is an exhaust fan on a seperate switch, so i'm sure every fireplace needs/has one.

Davetronz
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Is this coming from around the outside of the fireplace casing or from screw holes? You could try insulating/sealing with a heat-approved sealant or insulation.

yobi5888
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
It is coming from around the outside of the fireplace, or casing.

Where can I find the damper or vent control? The house was built about 6 years ago, so I assume it is one of the newer model of fireplace.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

barmanjay
11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
1st question that should be answered for a proper diagnosis:

is your fireplace a:

gas burning
wood burning
gas/wood burning

Hakkola
11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
1st question that should be answered for a proper diagnosis:

The second word in his post said gas. :)

barmanjay
11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

The second word in his post said gas. :)

doh!
:facepalm:

reading>me

check the outside exhaust/chimney.

around it should be sealed with a fire-proof sealant.

that would be the first place to check

Masked Bandit
11-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I've actually got the same problem so I can't help the OP but I would be interested in any expert opinions out there.

yobi5888
11-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay

doh!
:facepalm:

reading>me

check the outside exhaust/chimney.

around it should be sealed with a fire-proof sealant.

that would be the first place to check

Do you mean those brownish color caulking? If so, yes.

There is a square metal plate attached to the siding and was caulked around with those brownish color caulking, then in the middle of the square metal plate is the 6" diameter ( I guess) chimney.

barmanjay
11-24-2009, 04:23 PM
hmmm,.. I can't help you much more. Either live with the draft or the next step to diagnose is to pull it out.

Maybe give mr. fireplace a call?

sxtasy
11-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Well, a gas fireplace will likely not have a damper. And especially if it is operating you will not get any downdraft down the flu.

When the fireplace is on, it is going to pull in an outside air source, if it does not have its own cold air intake. To remedy this problem, the fireplace needs it's own intake so it is not pulling a draft through the house.