PDA

View Full Version : The latest Race City news, not good!!

Pages : [1] 2

gregh
11-24-2009, 01:18 PM
So with the rally & large show of public support we had for Race City last fall, City council voted to re-negotiate the lease for another 5 years & we all thought we had won.

Not a chance.

The City came back with their offer for a lease, the old terms were about $3,000/month + the property taxes(over $100,000 year, I think it was $130,000 but I'm not 100% sure)

The new terms?

$90,000/month + taxes based on a greatly increased land value, probably close to $500,000 if not more.

So about $1.5 million a year from $150-180,000 last year.
Looks like Bronco is going to win & we racers will lose.

More details & info.

SE Calgary News (http://www.secalgarynews.com/news/calgary/city-hall-tries-to-impose-3000-rent-increase-on-race-city-and-related-nonsense/#more-10120)

Sebasshole
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
What a fucking idiot.
I hope a street racer smash's into his benz.

TimeAttack
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Can anyone linked to the owners of RC confirm?

Just when you think your vote and political pressure has an effect on decisions made, this goes ahead and shows you that your vote and your protests do little to alter the self interest of the city.

That's too bad, I hope this isn't true.

edited for accuracy*

89s1
11-24-2009, 01:23 PM
FFS! Those assholes....

My heart is in the pit of my stomach right now....... I don't even know what to say. :banghead: :banghead:

Originally posted by TimeAttack

Just when you think your vote and political pressure has an effect on decisions made, this goes ahead and shows you that your vote and your protests do little to alter the self interest of the province.

It's so true.... that rally and all the show of support.... for nothing. Politics are horrible, and politicians are fucking lowlifes.

vengie
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
well Bronco is done, next election, Ric mciver has my vote.
Im sick of this shit... Lets build a tootsie pop peace bridge for $20m Instead :banghead:

Fuck sakes.

TimeAttack
11-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Does anyone else feel like the kid in the playground that has had his hat stolen and tossed back and forth by the school seniors.
To the point where you are running back and forth trying to get any bit or piece of it back you can, and it happens every time you come to school.

But there comes a point where your dignity is more important than playing these games with the city...
Even though some of your friends continue to run around and make fools of themselves.

edited for accuracy*

CSMRX7
11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
This was already posted here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/249536/race-city-city-hall-vote-coming-contact-your-alderman/

But it deserves a new thread. I can't believe the shady underhanded things that some people on the city council will do to get their way. Its absolute shit, when the council votes one way and some members find a way to sink the ship anyway.

gregh
11-24-2009, 01:41 PM
But there comes a point where your dignity is more important than playing these games with the province...

that your vote and your protests do little to alter the self interest of the province.

This is all City work not the province.

And as far as the city goes, it's 95% Bronco's doing & Waste Management is the other 5%.

Dave P
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by vengie
well Bronco is done, next election, Ric mciver has my vote.
Im sick of this shit... Lets build a tootsie pop peace bridge for $20m Instead :banghead:

Fuck sakes.

My thoughts exactly. :(

89s1
11-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Yep, Bronco is 100% on his own agenda.

He doesn't give a shit what people in this city think, it shows in more than just this instance as well.

In my honest and humble opinion Dave Thomas Bronconnier is a total fucking scumbag. Maybe he should go back to slinging burgers at Wendy's because I can't see the politics lasting much longer the way he blatantly goes about his own business like this.

dj_honda
11-24-2009, 02:00 PM
dont forget anti-vehicle druh farrell. when no one wanted that stupid memorial closure thing she went around city council to get her way which was pretty underhanded as well.

you could tell watching that vote in september she was pretty butt hurt that it stayed open so im sure shes a part of this crap too.

Redlyne_jr
11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
this is horrible news, i cant believe that they would even try to pull this sort of shit.. :banghead:

scat19
11-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Druh farrell and Bronco = OUT.

Sugarphreak
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM

SilverRex
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
i heard from a buddy that they wanted to throw a million bucks into snow removal and decided to kan the race track for the budget.

either way :guns:

kdwebber
11-24-2009, 05:51 PM
and they are trying to make it harder to access the venue, causing huge problems for the larger events...

”"Access to the track’s parking lot and direct access to the Calgary Kart Racing Club’s track on the southern edge of the land was supposed to be included in the new document. Instead, the October 23 letter states that the City “shall provide one access to the site, currently identified as the VIP entrance on 68 Street SE…”

sr20s14zenki
11-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Guess im trailering to edmonton this season. Better start looking for a truck.

Bronco can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

5fivespeed
11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
The city doesn't care about what we think or want, as auto enthusiasts. They just did a big show of agreeing to us as the car communites of Calgary to show the local community that yes, we are "supporting" our city and keeping racing off the streets.

Stupid idiots. If my car gets ruined by some idiots street racing I'll raise hell for every penny invested into it from the city. Keep your selves safe, and our cars because obviously the city doesn't give two-shits about the safety of our citizens.

Ray

Artega
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
We made a big deal to show our support for race city and as a result of that (maybe) we won ourselves a chance for race city to re-negotiate a lease extension.

Now that they've come back with such a outrageous term, what are we gonna do about it?
Probably nothing.
Regular citizen goes on living thinking that the city's doing a great job cuz they've "agreed" to the demands of these automotive enthusiast.

We, as the masses, always follows the first wave of a sensational story, but never follow up with it.

The city knows that's what the masses is like. Just as long as they can get past the first wave then they could do whatever they want afterwards.

Race city probably won't get another public support like we had in the summer.

That's just life and it sucks.

2EFNFAST
11-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised that some of you guys are surprised at this, or even thought that you "won" when they had the council vote.

It was fairly apparent something like this was going to happen. In the end, the government will always win and do whatever it wants.

speedog
11-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Lots of interesting posts in this thread already - many of them are quite unrealistic in their expectations or assumptions.

Myself, I used to volunteer at Race City 15+ years ago (safety worker on the oval's pit entrance) and my wife volunteered in the tower for oval events and thus, yeah I was involved in the race scene some time ago. But the simple fact remains that in the whole scheme of things in Calgary, Race City and the local racing enthusiast scene is but a minor blip in Calgary - always has been and always will be. Have seen Circle 8 Speedway (also known as Stampede Raceway) disappear, Kart Gardens gonzo too, ditto for Calgary International Raceway and Race City Speedway will soon join all of them as another footnote in Calgary's history.

Honestly, you can hold all the rallys you want to but a hundred or so vehicles (even 200-300) cruising around Calgary ain't gonna make a whole hill of beans difference. The fact remains is the land the Race City sits on is owned by the city of Calgary and they can and will control what happens there. Another fact - owning and operating a racing facility in Calgary probably isn't going to prove profitable for anyone - I would suspect any local race track owners have for the most part lost money on these ventures.

Best suggestion I have is for all of you racing enthusiasts to find someone with real deep pockets and get them to build a facility on land that they own. Probably the best bet is to get out there and agressively support the Badlands Motorsports Resort out Drumheller way and I'm not convinced this is gonna come to fruition either. Bleating about this in these forums isn't gonna fix anything - all efforts should be spent banding together in an organized fashion through one or several local clubs to discover what alternatives are available and what possibilities might exist.

Finally, I don't think Bronco or Druh are really worrying about a few lost votes that belong to auto racing enthuisasts - plowing a few extra bucks into snow removal will more than balance out for those lost votes. And to go after the city if yer car gets damaged because of an unrelated street racing accident - good luck on that. C'mon folks, it is what it is - stop the needless complaining in here and get involved with a club that might make a difference in the future of Calgary's motorsports scene.

inline6turbo
11-24-2009, 09:21 PM
^

Glad someone finally said it

strong
11-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Calgary is played out!! Not much left to do unless you want to spend a pile of money WTF is wrong with thy is place?

I just cant imagine any other city in Canada with our population and nowhere to go race our cars? every other little town in BC has some sort of a race track and we have nothing WTF?

I really believe this is just BS and agree that we need someone to build but how is there any support from the City to do such a thing. Who would come up with the ridiculous taxes, lease payments, insurance and all the rest of the shit this city would milk them for and where the hell would you build with all the yuppy neighborhoods surrounding the city one would think you might have to go all the way out to Strathmore just to race. There just isnt any support from our city for a true sport that will cause havoc on the streets but then they will make large off of all the money in tickets they will write out and if that doesnt work well they probaly start crushing our cars. All in all we are all fucked and just forget the whole idea of being able to race in our own back yard

Thats my Rant and Im done!!:banghead: :banghead:

speedog
11-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Edmonton (population 782,000) - no auto racing tracks within city boundaries/jurisdiction. Castrol Raceway is located in the County of Leduc; CFB Namao road course is on CFB Namao in the County of Sturgeon; Edmonton International Raceway either in County of Leduc or County of Strathcona. Nothing in Edmonton city proper with the exception of the old Municipal Airport road course which doesn't count anyhow (used only for CART/Indy (???) races).

Vancouver in B.C. (population way over Calgary's - including Burnaby, West Van, North Van, etc) - Agassiz Speedway outside of lower mainland jurisdiction; Langley Quarter Midget Track located in Aldergrove, BC; Mission Raceway Park located in Mission, B.C.. All of these active tracks are outside the jurisdiction of any of the lower main land cities the comprise the greater Vancouver urban area.

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa - probably almost all the same with the exception of temporary road courses for special events. Large cities just do not include/have auto racing facilities within their boundaries.

Even smaller cities don't have auto racing venues inside of their boundaries. Bridge County Raceway is outside of Lethbridge - the exception is Medicine Hat Dragway which appears to be within Medicine Hat's boundaries. Never the less, Calgary auto racing enthusiasts are maybe going to have to wake up and realize that the next auto racing venue for Calgarians will not be located within or possibly even near the city of Calgary's boundaries.

5000Audi
11-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Even smaller cities don't have auto racing venues inside of their boundaries. Bridge County Raceway is outside of Lethbridge - the exception is Medicine Hat Dragway which appears to be within Medicine Hat's boundaries. Never the less, Calgary auto racing enthusiasts are maybe going to have to wake up and realize that the next auto racing venue for Calgarians will not be located within or possibly even near the city of Calgary's boundaries.

Auto Clearing Speedway in Saskatoon in within city limits..

Funny thing about saskatoon and their racetrack.. the population of saskatoon is 225,000 people and they recently built a BRAND new race track.. and saskatoon brings all kinds of race events to town.. its just shocks me how a city of 225,000 people can keep a track up and running also build a new one, yet a city of over 1 million cant... really odd.. and their is a drag strip ( SIR ) just a hop,skip and a jump south of the city

Maxx Mazda
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
This is sad to hear. I fully believe that Calgary does need a track. Even one outside the city is fine by me. Maybe out towards airdire?

speedog
11-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Actually, Auto Clearing Speedway is located outside of the city of Saskatoon's boundaries. Now granted, it is very close to Saskatoon, but the city of Saskatoon currently has no jurisdiction over this racing facility - that jurisdiction belongs to Rural Municipality of Corman Park #344 in Saskatchewan.

ekguy
11-25-2009, 01:06 AM
Makes me not regret my decision of moving back to New Brunswick this summer. I was going to buy myself a little project car once I found out race city was going to be around a bit longer. But then decided to move with my gf to NB again. Guess I'll just buy a project car when I get back home and it'll be for the drag strip only since it's all they really have back home...Well than and some parking lot solo racing around cones....But as fun as that is it's still kinda lame...

Very sarcastic :thumbsup: to bronconnier. Oh how I won't miss his wonderful politics hehe.

Skyline_Addict
11-25-2009, 01:53 AM
sigh...i wonder what i'm going to do next year... :(.

driving north to race, i guess.

that, or move to Vancouver...haha.

BigMass
11-25-2009, 02:29 AM
I don’t regret Race City dying at all. It needs to die and be put out of it’s misery. The only thing I regret is that a replacement track with private funding has not yet been built to take its place somewhere outside of the city (not too far out). We're going to have a lot of downtime without a track

A private track with proper promotion and advertising could be very viable around Calgary IMO. Do you know how many people at my work know about Race City and that you can drive you car on the track for fun and go to the drag strip with your road car to test it out? Nobody (and they all get excited hearing about it). However with all the potholes and third world facilities I’m not sure I want them to know. Time for some investors to be a little more pro active.

dj_honda
11-25-2009, 02:47 AM

Finally, I don't think Bronco or Druh are really worrying about a few lost votes that belong to auto racing enthuisasts -

They are probably worrying about which foreign artists to overpay next to design a bridge or underpass. Or maybe which important streets to close for no reason next year in the name of a made up festival.

derpderp
11-25-2009, 05:53 AM

speedog
11-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
And Calgary becomes even more boring of a city, really honestly, what the hell is there to do here? :zzz: Good thing then that you're living in that most exciting metropolis called the city of Airdrie.

alloroc
11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Truthfully the most viable option is for the Tsuu Tsina to build a track on thier land.

With the fight between them and Bronco over the ring road - if I were them - I would put a track right on the border of their property with the main straight only meters from Woodbine.

Skyline_Addict
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by alloroc
Truthfully the most viable option is for the Tsuu Tsina to build a track on thier land.

With the fight between them and Bronco over the ring road - if I were them - I would put a track right on the border of their property with the main straight only meters from Woodbine.

Considering the "relationship" they have....this could JUST be our best hope!

Vagabond142
11-25-2009, 09:51 AM

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa - probably almost all the same with the exception of temporary road courses for special events. Large cities just do not include/have auto racing facilities within their boundaries.

Montreal has a very big racing facility:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Gilles_Villeneuve

rockanrepublic
11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
:confused: wtf i cant belive i actually had hope race city was possibly saved.:banghead:

speedog
11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Montreal's is still a street circuit and from that Wikipedia article...

"As part of Parc Jean-Drapeau, the Circuit is open to visitors, between races, for walking, running, biking, in-line skating, etc."

Go to Montreal and I'll wager that at most times, that this is just regular roads/streets which are transformed into a street racing circuit when needed. Been there myself and have seen it. In fact, if one looks at the area using Google Maps, you can actually see cyclists and regular schmoes driving their cars around.

Sil80_D
11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
damnit, ive been prepping my car for lapping in the spring.... wtf. this city is so fucking uneventful already and the one thing that would change my mind is going down the shitter.

oh well, time to go back to some midnight touge on the street :D

Tomaz
11-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I really wish that there was a replacement lined up for Race City.

Build a circuit and drag strip by the Cross Iron Mills, or even Out buy Indus, Langdon, Dalemead. Somewhere a private enterprise can be established.

Oh well, I guess the City is providing us with a fantastic new circuit track... "Stony Trail Raceway" ;)

CSMRX7
11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
I don’t regret Race City dying at all. It needs to die and be put out of it’s misery. The only thing I regret is that a replacement track with private funding has not yet been built to take its place somewhere outside of the city (not too far out). We're going to have a lot of downtime without a track

A private track with proper promotion and advertising could be very viable around Calgary IMO. Do you know how many people at my work know about Race City and that you can drive you car on the track for fun and go to the drag strip with your road car to test it out? Nobody (and they all get excited hearing about it). However with all the potholes and third world facilities I’m not sure I want them to know. Time for some investors to be a little more pro active.

Have you been on the roadcourse before? Race City isn't in the best condition but there are a lot worse tracks out there that cost a lot more to rent! I would gladly takeRace City over the alternative of having no where to race.

Kloubek
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Not unexpected, IMO.

Prepare for deaths on Calgary streets from racing. They just can't see the bigger picture here...

Redlyne_mr2
11-25-2009, 11:36 AM
All the people expressing good ridance towards race city are the ones I never see at track days.

IntegraG2
11-25-2009, 12:51 PM
crappy deals...was really wanting to go to a track days this coming season now that I have a car I am comfortable pushing.

mr2mike
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Best idea.

If someone's in business at UofC, they could easily make a business model as thier final project. Maybe don't choose indian land but then after you get marked on it. Change it to indian land and submit it to Chief Sandford Big Plume.

The only thing is safety. They would need to have an independent medic and ambulance.

kevie88
11-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
All the people expressing good ridance towards race city are the ones I never see at track days.

Damn right. Bunch of complaining vaginas. It's a shithole in terms of worldwide tracks, but it's the best track we have.

Having no track IS NOT BETTER!

ekguy
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
It's easy to see that there will be a very big jump in street racing with this closure.

Zewind
11-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Best idea.

If someone's in business at UofC, they could easily make a business model as thier final project. Maybe don't choose indian land but then after you get marked on it. Change it to indian land and submit it to Chief Sandford Big Plume.

The only thing is safety. They would need to have an independent medic and ambulance.

Group buy some land just outside calgary?

alloroc
11-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

They would need to have an independent medic and ambulance.

Nah ...
If they build it meters away from Woodbine like I suggested they could just throw you over the fence then phone you in.

speedog
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Zewind
Group buy some land just outside calgary? Really? For real? Are you stepping up to head up/organize/coordinate this group buy? Land near or just outside of Calgary is still very expensive and then there would be the actual costs of building a racing facility plus supplies utilities to said land (water, power, sewage, gas).

Just for kicks, here some current land parcels for sale 'near' Calgary...

East of Calgary right on Highway 1, 160 acres and very flat - $1,850,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8294223))

Southeast of Calgary right on Highway 22X, 146.95 acres and quite flat - $3,500,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8558981))

Northeast of Calgary near Conrich, 140 acres and quite flat - $4,320,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=7059432))

South of Calgary near Red Deer Lake, 144 acres and quite flat - $3,900,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8836020))

North of Calgary near Crossfield, 160 acres and some elevation changes - $995,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8293449))

North of Calgary just to the southeast of Airdrie, 255 acres and some elevation changes - $2,950,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8657033))

And does anyone know what paving is worth per mile once the base that will be underneath the pavement is ready? $250,000? $500,000? $1,000,000?

To build a new motor sports facility near Calgary - not unimaginable that you'll have to cough up at least $15,000,000. Now throw out the ideas as to how to make this profitable within let's say 5 years because your investors are going to want to make some money at this I would suspect.

Skyline_Addict
11-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Really? For real? Are you stepping up to head up/organize/coordinate this group buy? Land near or just outside of Calgary is still very expensive and then there would be the actual costs of building a racing facility plus supplies utilities to said land (water, power, sewage, gas).

East of Calgary right on Highway 1, 160 acres and very flat - $1,850,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8294223))

Southeast of Calgary right on Highway 22X, 146.95 acres and quite flat - $3,500,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8558981))

Northeast of Calgary near Conrich, 140 acres and quite flat - $4,320,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=7059432))

South of Calgary near Red Deer Lake, 144 acres and quite flat - $3,900,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8836020))

North of Calgary near Crossfield, 160 acres and some elevation changes - $995,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8293449))

North of Calgary just to the southeast of Airdrie, 255 acres and some elevation changes - $2,950,000 (link (http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8657033))

And does anyone know what paving is worth per mile once the base that will be underneath the pavement is ready? $250,000? $500,000? $1,000,000?

To build a new motor sports facility near Calgary - not unimaginable that you'll have to cough up at least $15,000,000. Now throw out the ideas as to how to make this profitable within let's say 5 years because your investors are going to want to make some money at this I would suspect.

that's interesting information, thanks for posting that.

but i seriously think he was just joking, lol.

psycoticclown
11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Really? For real? Are you stepping up to head up/organize/coordinate this group buy? Land near or just outside of Calgary is still very expensive and then there would be the actual costs of building a racing facility plus supplies utilities to said land (water, power, sewage, gas).

:facepalm:

Team_Mclaren
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Montreal has a very big racing facility:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Gilles_Villeneuve

ya and they use Gilles Villeneuve once a year...:facepalm: :rolleyes:

syritis
11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I'll throw up the news link seeing that no one else has.

http://www.secalgarynews.com/news/calgary/city-hall-tries-to-impose-3000-rent-increase-on-race-city-and-related-nonsense/

and just so everyone should know, this is how the race city vote turned out. my voting will directedly reflect these results. (not just cuz the voted to save race city but because they actually listen to the people)

For:

Chabot, Colley-Urquarhart, Connelly, Hodges, Jones, Marr, McIvor, Stevenson

Against:

Ceci, Farrel, Fox-Mellway, Hawkesworth, Lowe, Pincott, Bronconier

mr2mike
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Interesting on the land parcels. Obviously too much money but I am pro elevation changes for a road course. If there was a track like that then, build the oval track with the idea of having large concerts there.

I'm not talking huge spectator seating as we all know how many people come out to watch vs. what they pay for admission. But get the tracks in there and market. I think with the man power on this site, it COULD happen. It'd be hard though.

Also farrell won't be getting my vote. Bronc only votes in things him or his kids like to do.... go to the zoo or science center.

More snow removal?
He could care less about his city paid for vehicle. Ya, more snow removal... throw more salt... I'll just wash my car 4 times a week instead of 3. Did I say wash? I mean pay someone to pick it up, detail it inside and out then return it. The bill? Oh, throw it in the pile marked "Business Expenses".

dj_honda
11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
^^ thats exactly how it is too. the article was deleted off the calgary herald site but heres the cached link

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:2mp9vv0cN3QJ:www.calgaryherald.com/story_print.html%3Fid%3D1777261%26sponsor%3D+mayor+bronconnier+vehicle+july+10+2009&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

EM1FTW
11-25-2009, 09:54 PM
This^

ottamania
11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I guess I ll be goin up to edm for track days... :facepalm:

epp01
11-26-2009, 12:59 AM
City council members don't realize if they take away race city there will be MUCH more street racing. Innocent people will die, look at how many people die each year because of street racing. Now take away the only legal option we have?

Are you guys going to drive your cars to medicine hat or Edmonton to run them full out? I'm not. Do you guys have a truck and car trailer to tow them out there? I don't.

Race City sucked, but it's 110% better then nothing.

smoothessence
11-26-2009, 03:17 AM
The deep pocketed members of exotic car club will be the only ones to actually take any action outside of city boundaries for a private track.

The majority of people here, myself included unfortunately, are just here for the ride and will have to hope for someone else to do something about it.

I caught the track day bug this past season in a bad way and I feel for the rest of us who know what driving our cars on the track actually is.

89s1
11-26-2009, 12:40 PM
X2, I hit the track for my first time this year too.

We used to have no track in Winnipeg.... But people still raced. :D

sputnik
11-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by epp01
City council members don't realize if they take away race city there will be MUCH more street racing. Innocent people will die, look at how many people die each year because of street racing. Now take away the only legal option we have?

Ah yes. The "wont anyone think of the children" argument.

Have you ever considered for a moment that people that race on the streets would still do it regardless of whether or not there is a track available.

Do you really think two highschool kids in their car are going to have a conversation at a red light like this...

Kid 1 - Nice car! Mine's faster!

Kid 2 - No way. I gots NAWZ and RIMZ!

Kid 1 - I gots kick ass body kit and a cold air intake that gets me 50 hp!

Kid 2 - Bullshit. Lets race right now!

Kid 1 - That's illegal. However there is a track that we can race legally at with proper timing.

Kid 2 - Alright. Lets go there.

Kid 1 - We can't.

Kid 2 - Why?

Kid 1 - It's wednesday. They are only open on Saturday nights.

Kid 2 - Well lets go on Saturday then.

Kid 1 - We can't.

Kid 2 - Why?

Kid 1 - It's November and they are closed until next May because it is cold outside.

Kid 2 - Okay. Well call me in May and we can settle this once and for all!

Kid 1 - Werd! Text me yo info and we can meet up in 6 months instead of racing here on 52nd St SE and risk getting arrested.

Kid 2 - Peace yo.

A790
11-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Have you ever considered for a moment that people that race on the streets would still do it regardless of whether or not there is a track available.

Do you really think two highschool kids in their car are going to have a conversation at a red light like this...

Kid 1 - That's illegal. However there is a track that we can race legally at with proper timing.

Kid 1 - We can't.

Kid 2 - Why?

Kid 1 - We can't.

Kid 2 - Why?

Kid 1 - It's November and they are closed until next May because it is cold outside.

Kid 1 - Werd! Text me yo info and we can meet up in 6 months instead of racing here on 52nd St SE and risk getting arrested.

Kid 2 - Peace yo.
You are completely correct, though I support his argument just the same. I don't care what kind of plea the car community has to make, so long as the track stays open. If we have to appeal to the bleeding hearts of the soccer moms... so be it!

Mr_ET
11-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Amen

Sebasshole
11-26-2009, 02:33 PM
pfft fuck the track i street race. :burnout:

only kidding

alloroc
11-26-2009, 03:41 PM

Alternate ending. ...

Kid 1 - Racing on the street is for fuck heads. Here's my time slip from last friday. The track is closed for the winter so you have 6 months to get you POS fast enough to beat this - but I'll also be doing more mods this winter. Call me maybe we can help each other out my old man's garage is heated.

Redlyne_jr
11-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Kid 1 - We can't.

Kid 2 - Why?

Kid 1 - We can't.

Kid 2 - Why?

Kid 2 - Peace yo.

The people that are saying they need a track are the people that currently use the facility, street racing happens regardless if there is a track or not, the problem we are looking at is focused on the individuals who are responsible enough to take it to the track, these people are also the enthusiasts that for the most part have a dedicated track car or a set up for the facility etc.. Im not concerned about the stupid high school kids that will street race regardless of a track being present, the matter of issue is where do the individuals that value the facility go.. :facepalm:

gregh
11-26-2009, 07:18 PM
~Porsche~ has a very valid point, the kids with the mighty 106 RWHP Cavaliers & Integra's will race on the street regardless of a track being open or not.
Hell, I get challenged by such cars almost every Friday night as I'm driving home from racing in my camaro.

A car that can go 0-100kmh in 6-8 seconds doesn't take a whole lot of skill or ability to handle but they still manage to wrap them around tree's on a regular basis anyways.

But....
The street car shootout we had last fall showed that there are quite a few cars in this city that have a whole lot more power than that. My car is in the 600+ RWHP range & I was over a second behind the fastest car.

If the track closes, will I street race?
No, but I'll also probably sell my car & I'd be betting that the next owner might not be so responsible.

methodicreign
11-26-2009, 07:46 PM
RWHP cavaliers and integra's, did I miss something or does RWHP not stand for rear wheel horse power???? Street racers are going to race no matter where they are, and it's the stupid ones that make the news cause they chose to race in the dumbest location possible during the worst hours imaginable. They are the ones that need cars crushed, licenses removed permanently and a general beating of sence into them. They have ruined racing for everyone else and givin it a black eye in every possible circle, be it political, organized, recreational, on road, off-road, or otherwise. Now any corporation or private third party that supports racing in any fassit gets the image of street racing. Closing race city has nothing to do with budgets, or land use, or any other cited reasons givin to us by the professional bull shitters and strokers of politics. It is purely a move to prevent racing and give the image of pro-activitie towards auto related fatalities. Look at every other major move in politics, whining for more money in the snow removal budget, while most of the fleet stands idle.(I would love to name much more but i grew up in vancouver and most of my examples would be unrecognized) It's pandering and bullshit by people that love the sound of thier own voice, and remember the more we bitch about this and other bone head moves made by government the more thier names get out there and more people know who they are. People that like thier ideas are far more likely to go vote for them than people that can't stand them. People that hate politics and politicians alike are far more likely to stay home and not vote at all. It's win win for the aldermen involved, we may hate it but it works for them and until we, the affected, stand up and do something about it nothing will ever change. Something needs to happen, and I will support in anyway the effort to make those changes as long as they are well thought out and constructive. Even if it means scouting out several locations throughout the city streets for suitable streets to race on, and bring forth a proposal to the city for usage during off peak hours. Whats wrong with an industrial park at 22:00hrs no one else is around why not use it for something. There is a real chance to organize and do something other than whine on the forums here, lets see who has the balls to do something. PM me help on this, if your serious lets find a way to get through to these self serving assholes. Every other minority activite gets a venue why not us

methodicreign
11-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I didn't proof read that last post so forgive any errors I may have made

gregh
11-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Oop's, yup I did type RWHP, LOL.

A deserted street would be an interesting idea except for the wiring for the timing system, the VHT on a public road(When it gets wet it becomes quite slippery), crowd control & liability.

There is no chance the city would agree to racing on even a closed off public street because of the liability alone.

diablo415
11-26-2009, 08:22 PM
:facepalm: :confused: so you dont agree with street racing but you think that getting the city to let you use public streets to race on is a good idea? man you must be smrt

methodicreign
11-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Sadly you are absolutly right. What ever happened to the good old days of "at your own risk" there are differant options to explore we just need to come up with them. Racing, like almost any other organized sport comes with it's own inherint risks. We as enthusiasts if we choose to race acknowledge those risks, and for those who do not understand them need to learn. I for one would love to see an at own risk area. I'm kind of a darwin-ist that way. Let those who are not worthy sort them selves out.

methodicreign
11-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by diablo415
:facepalm: :confused: so you dont agree with street racing but you think that getting the city to let you use public streets to race on is a good idea? man you must be smrt

Street racing = retards at a light gunning it to see who is faster regardless of surroundings and other people that may be affcted.

using an abandond street to race on = a closed circuit where most of the variables can be controled and innocent people are not going to get killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

use your head...

sr20s14zenki
11-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by methodicreign

Street racing = retards at a light gunning it to see who is faster regardless of surroundings and other people that may be affcted.

using an abandond street to race on = a closed circuit where most of the variables can be controled and innocent people are not going to get killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

use your head...

I hear what you are saying, and agree with it. I hear from the old hot rodders, that back in the day, guys used to race where sheppard road is or sokmething, and the cops used to come and close the street and watch to make sure nobody got hurt, and nobody was being an idiot. Could be urban legend, i dont know. But yah, a place where nobody is, blocked off to public traffic. The only gay thing is no tree...haha i will see if Art wants to sell the tree from race city?
:angel:

gregh
11-26-2009, 08:42 PM
that back in the day, guys used to race where sheppard road is or sokmething, and the cops used to come and close the street and watch to make sure nobody got hurt......

I've been involved in Calgary racing off & on since 1981 & I've never heard that story, don't know when it could have happened but I doubt it ever did.
In the early 80's we used to run at Calgary International Raceway which was located right near 114th Ave & Barlow but it closed the year before Race City opened.

Street racing back then was mostly on 22X or near Deerfoot Mall but it sure didn't have police help.

syritis
11-26-2009, 08:53 PM
perhaps some of the people unclear on the concept should thoroughly read this
http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/faq.php#q2

meaning everyone will still have access to a race track through local not-for-profit organization like calgary sports car club

sr20s14zenki
11-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by gregh

I've been involved in Calgary racing off & on since 1981 & I've never heard that story, don't know when it could have happened but I doubt it ever did.
In the early 80's we used to run at Calgary International Raceway which was located right near 114th Ave & Barlow but it closed the year before Race City opened.

Street racing back then was mostly on 22X or near Deerfoot Mall but it sure didn't have police help.

Huh good to know, urban legend i guess then hahah.

diablo415
11-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by methodicreign

use your head...

no you are wrong street racing is racing on public streets it doesnt matter if they're at a traffic light or a stop sign or side by side on a highway. its still a public street goverend by a trafic act put in place to protect the public and private property.

oh and for the record there is no abandond streets in the city of calgary:rolleyes:

soloracer
11-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by syritis
perhaps some of the people unclear on the concept should thoroughly read this
http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/faq.php#q2

meaning everyone will still have access to a race track through local not-for-profit organization like calgary sports car club

As much as I hope they are able to build what they plan I am realistic enough to realize that the day when tires touch the pavement at that facility will be many a year away. Approvals and funding are going to be the two biggest problems.

403nissan
11-27-2009, 11:50 PM
well im not the best guy to argue over this kinda stuff, but ill put in my 2 cents..... all i can say is dave you and ur police services are going to have thier work cut out for themselves trying i meant trying to keep tabs and inforce no street racing in this city. espechialy right after you finished the nicest and straightest roads in calgary how far does it go 17th ave to crowchild, ha id really enjoy watching the cop fade away behind my civic..

vengie
11-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by 403nissan
well im not the best guy to argue over this kinda stuff, but ill put in my 2 cents..... all i can say is dave you and ur police services are going to have thier work cut out for themselves trying i meant trying to keep tabs and inforce no street racing in this city. espechialy right after you finished the nicest and straightest roads in calgary how far does it go 17th ave to crowchild, ha id really enjoy watching the cop fade away behind my civic..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/Trebz14/lol_que.jpg

pinoyhero
11-28-2009, 06:11 AM
You can't fault bronco, its either the users pay over the whole city pays with tax dollars. Its no money in or out of his pocket. Why not have the users pay?

DonJuan
11-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 403nissan
ha id really enjoy watching the cop fade away behind my civic..

That made me LOL hard. Thx.

So Beyond what are we going to change the slogan to now? "Take it to the track 3 hours north" or "Take it to the track 2.5 hours south" or "Take it to Forza" or "Take it to Macleod Tr and Cemetary hill" or "Sell your car and buy a bicycle" ???

A big F U to Bronco and the rest of his short sighted cronies. I hope someone goes Need for Speed straight into his living room.

reijo
11-28-2009, 06:19 PM
The only voice we have is the election next fall - 2010. Do not forget ... make sure you vote.

R

Artega
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
hmmm
did anyone realize the only way for the badland motorsport facility to have any chance of being built would required the death of race city?

If all of us Calgarians have a cheaper alternative, why would we drive to drumheller?

so maybe the death of Race city is a good thing. It'll pool our resources for badland motorsports and give us a world class circuit and facility for racing enthusiast!

Cooked Rice
11-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Well at least we have this nice ring road to lay rubber down on now. Screw Bronco, and his supporters.

let the mayhem begin

LkOUMEfSvnc&feature=fvw

methodicreign
11-28-2009, 11:45 PM
let me edit my street racing definition. (see above)
also applies to retards, and exactly what we don't need on our streets. it gets spelled out real well between 8 and 10 minutes in the video.

methodicreign
11-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by diablo415

no you are wrong street racing is racing on public streets it doesnt matter if they're at a traffic light or a stop sign or side by side on a highway. its still a public street goverend by a trafic act put in place to protect the public and private property.

oh and for the record there is no abandond streets in the city of calgary:rolleyes:

so when a city brings in the indy circuit thats street racing. it's only illegal to the burocrats and fatassed meat heads in politics when it doesn't make money. give it a controlled enviroment or at least more controlled than these ass hats in the above video are doing. When they die i hope it's alone.

There are tons of abandoned roads in this city, depending on the time of course. bears paw dam road is next to empty most of the day, as is the road on the other side of the tracks. It is a matter of looking for them thats all. To say there is traffic on every road at all times is short sightedness and ignorance, the same kind shared by 99% of the people in the city and 100% of the people at city hall. it's getting throught to these people with blinders on that is going to be the hardest thing to do. the second hardest thing is going to be getting the actual racers to take it off the public streets. Mission raceway had a fantastic idea to control that, or at least attempt to; To gain admission you needed to clearly display a decal on your car, I forget the exact wording but it went along the lines of "I support legal racing, and street racing is a crime" something like that, if anyone else knows the wording please correct me. To get this decal you had to agree to not street race and anyone caught street racing with this decal(non replacable i might add) was giving thier concent to having the book throught at them, crushing cars losing licences the whole 9 yards. Gives a bit of a reason to not street race. Without some form of penalty there is no adherance to the rules, something the law makers might want to re-think too. It's time street racers were made example of and not have a blanket attempt at punishment. We have all had the cops look at us twice just cause we have the cars we have. If it looks fast they love to harrass us, I'm fuckin sick of it, and the tards out there that make it harder on us, both drivers that can't drive, drivers that think there trying out for the next fast and furious movie, and law makers that have no idea what there talking about and only read headlines to make thier decisions and think that they are helping. What we need to do is find a way to hold up the biggest middle finger to all these ass hats out there. It's time for education not retribution.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe what we need are more people splattered on the road so more street racing videos can be made. More crosses on the highway cause someone decided that 200Kph wasn't to fast for the road, or the car. More kids without parents, parents without kids. Whole families dissappearing in a blink of an eye. Fuck'em all, it's death race 2010 on the ring road fire 'em boys and girls lets go and have some fun, I'll jump on the bike cause the car ain't fast enough yet. It's people that think racing videos are the greatest things ever that piss me off the most, spread the word asshole, thats not the exact image were trying to shut down. Thats not the WHOLE FUCKING REASON were having these debates, losing race tracks, have dumbass laws made up to "help protect the public", it's people like you that wrap themselves around telephone polls, kill innocent people for no reason, ruin lives on a daily basis, bring the press on us. Once you give the political whores a topic to tout around like that you've ruined it forever. Responsable and conscienious drivers and enthusiasts are trying to get rid of you, go find something else to do with your time, I hear suicide bombing a hell of a rush, try that.

Cooked Rice
11-29-2009, 12:00 AM
someone takes the interwebs a bit seriously here... :rofl:

methodicreign
11-29-2009, 12:05 AM
someone doesn't take lives seriously enough here either

Cooked Rice
11-29-2009, 12:32 AM
wow. i was being sarcastic earlier about the ring road. and the video is just example of the mayhem that is very well going to explode come next summer when there is no track.

i paid $50 a pop this year to drive on the oval and infield, which is one of the most horrible surfaces you can find on this planet and ended up breaking multiple suspension parts due to it. But I still kept going back because it's a lot more fun concentrating on driving than watching out for the law.

But you want a real video of what I think? Then this one focuses directly on our very own issue. And features some friends of mine, and the very same group of guys I drive with on the track.

_yInIjw2Ngw&featur

methodicreign
11-29-2009, 12:15 PM
perhaps I misunderstood your post. If we are on the same page than I appologize for going on a bit of a rant there. Sometimes it is hard to get the sarcasim involved in a written post.

Mr_ET
11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I still think RCMP will find a way to stay open for another few years.

Once we weed throught the crap that Bronconnier dropped on them and people realize how unrealistic this is, something both parties can agree on will be worked out and we will have ou track.

This should be treated as a really sobering wake up call of what things will look like in this city if we all sit back and wait for someone else to build a track.

sr20s14zenki
11-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I like to go by an old adage, "Hope for the best, Expect the worst". I really do hope that race city stays open, but i am expecting it not to, and thus, i am preparing, getting my 3/4 ton running, and getting a trailer. At any rate, if i break my shit at race city, i dont need to push it to the gate and call ama hahahaha.

ercchry
11-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
At any rate, if i break my shit at race city, i dont need to push it to the gate and call ama hahahaha.

we never bothered doing that, much easier to get them to come into the oval haha :D

Sentry
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
If RC stays open I'd still like to see Badlands built. Anyone know if a drag strip is planned as part of Phase I, or just the road course?

Mr_ET
11-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't believe Badlands has plans to even build a drag strip man?

I believe they want to build a fairly big curcuit that will be like 6 miles long and can be seperated in 3-4 different tracks that can be run simultaneously.

toastgremlin
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
CALGARY - Ald. Ric McIver has apologized for saying he hopes the Race City track sues the city and wins, after a colleague fired a veiled rebuke at him in council.

McIver has spearheaded the push to have city officials renegotiate the lease with the speedway in his ward rather than force the property to become part of a landfill expansion.

When council last week refused to spend $3 million on necessary infrastructure to allow Race City to stay, the southeast aldermen lashed out at what he viewed as the city's bid to kill Race City.

"I'm still hopeful we'll come to a deal. Or, if worst comes to worst, I hope Race City is successful in suing the city to get their lease reinstated," McIver told reporters last week.

It's exceedingly rare for politicians to express hopes their own government loses anything, especially not a court battle.

Ald. Gord Lowe didn't mention McIver by name, but did note the reported comments and asked during Monday's council meetings if aldermen carried the same responsibility as corporate directors.

"Given the published comments, I know if I was on the board of a publicly owned company and had done something like that, I can fully expect to be tossed off the board," Lowe said in an interview afterwards.

"And my director's insurance would vanish and I'd be at the tender mercies of the shareholders, the board and the corporation."

Bronconnier said Lowe's query about "fiduciary duty" would be dealt with behind closed doors.

Asked about the situation, McIver said he regretted saying something he didn't really mean to say.

"When you say something stupid and it gets recorded, the best thing you can do is say I'm sorry," he said.

"And I'm happy to say I'm sorry."

[email protected]
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Calgary+alderman+apologizes+Race+City+quip+draws+fire/2288975/story.html

methodicreign
12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
The only alderman that i had respect for just lost it due to pussification