PDA

View Full Version : Selling Info

angeltr16
11-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi I was planning on putting my townhouse for sale next spring. When is the best time to list it? How expensive is it to sell?
I would be buying again, and porting my existing mortgage.

This will be first time selling so any info would be great. I thought it would be too early to ccontact a real estate agent so I thoughts I'd get some insight here.

Thanks!

ExtraSlow
11-24-2009, 09:57 PM
If you have real estate questions, it's not too early to talk to a realtor.

Weapon_R
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Real estate sales usually pick up in the spring and summer. Worst time to sell is during the winter.

Realtors usually charge around 7% for the first 100k and 3% on the balance. Right now you can get a much better rate if you negotiate with the right realtor.

boxer23
11-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I would try and sell privately first, if it doesn't work out then hire a realtor. welist.com

barmanjay
11-25-2009, 01:01 PM
It wont hurt to contact an agent now, in fact it could be more beneficial now.

Asking us about the future of the markets is a loaded question, all we can do is guess.

Right now, there are not too many listings, the quality of houses vs price isnt there either. Hense prices may be lower than what is seen in the spring/summer. Dont get me wrong though, there are some very good houses still (daimonds in the rough) and they are selling fast.

In the spring, typically there is a flood of new listings as the grass turns green, and the quality of house increases, so does the price speculation. Better selection for buyers, not so price savvy though.

If you get on board with a realtor now, ask for market updates

they can setup an auto search of your direct area/house style and have updates |(just listed/price drops/just sold) sent to you daily/weekly/bi-weekly or monthly.

This is a great tool for you to determine when to put your place on the market

Rates vary with each agent. Some will even discount if you sign a buyers brokerage agreement guaranteeing that you will purchase your next place with them ;)

Biggest thing that will sell your place is the staging. Might be worth investing the couple grand to have it professionally staged. The switch will click in potential buyers brains to investigate more on buying within the first 60 secs upon entering the property.

Hope this all helps!

broken_legs
11-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
I

Asking us about the future of the markets is a loaded question, all we can do is guess.

You offer some good advice and im not bashing you, but most of your Realtor friends tend to guess on the up side.:rolleyes:

barmanjay
11-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

You offer some good advice and im not bashing you, but most of your Realtor friends tend to guess on the up side.:rolleyes:

They do and some are still very pessimistic

And furthermore, most of them from both sides are not my friends :D

I have no desire to hang out and have a beer with them.

angeltr16
11-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks!!!

eblend
11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

barmanjay is solid and honest, hell he just helped me buy my first place, he definatelly doesn't fit the stereotype that I had in my mind :thumbsup:

barmanjay
11-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by eblend

barmanjay is solid and honest, hell he just helped me buy my first place, he definatelly doesn't fit the stereotype that I had in my mind :thumbsup:

I am honored and humbled by your post,... I bow to you sir.

ExtraSlow
11-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll second the note from Jay about staging. It can make a big difference in both the time on market and selling price. Regardless of if you have it staged by a professional, or you do it yourself, it's well worth the money and effort.

We staged our last house, and did the work ourselves with some great advice from our realtor (Jordan). We probably ended up spending $500 on little things, and $500 on a storage pod to get our junk out of the house, but I tell you, that place looks like a show home. We sold in four days, and that was at a time when the market was at it's very bottom and houses were sitting for months.