PDA

View Full Version : Slipping the clutch

2EFNFAST
11-25-2009, 01:07 AM
If I'm at a standstill and just want to inch forward, stop, inch forward, stop, etc....., is it considered slipping the clutch if I clutch out a fraction (just to the point where it engages), blip the throttle, clutch in?

If so, which is worse than if you're trying to creep forward several feet - slipping the clutch, or riding the clutch?

Since my clutch is a grabby race-style off/on clutch, most times I usually just sit and let a traffic line build up behind me before moving forward (e.g., like at a 4-way stop sign), but other times (E.g., crawling into the garage) I have to inch forward slowly (because when the clutch engages I either have to jump forward and go or stall it), so I either have to slip it or ride it.......

Supa Dexta
11-25-2009, 01:21 AM
slipping the clutch is riding the clutch.. And you gotta do what ya gotta do.. Just may have to get a new one sooner. Higher end clutches like twin discs don't like being slipped.

2EFNFAST
11-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
slipping the clutch is riding the clutch.. And you gotta do what ya gotta do.. Just may have to get a new one sooner. Higher end clutches like twin discs don't like being slipped.

I thought they were 2 separate things? :confused:

So let's say you're stopped, and you come off the clutch just slightly (to the point of engagement), blip the throttle to get the RPMs up and to get it to shuffle forward, then clutch in, all done within 1second.

Is that "bad" for the clutch?

Kardon
11-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Well its wearing it, but hardly.

Supa Dexta
11-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Again it depends on the type of clutch you are talking about. High performance twin discs should be used as more of an on/off switch, they don't have much of a friction zone anyways, but they don't like to be in it, they burn up quick because they have a lot of power behind them

A conventional clutch is built to take quite a bit of this, because they know it will be in stop and go traffic a lot.

And think about it..

slipping the clutch - just barely engaging the clutch, as to not transfer full power

riding the clutch - just barely engaging the clutch to creep ahead, again not transferring full power..

Bother cases are sitting in the friction zone, and are the same thing. One may be longer then the other, but its doing the same thing in there.

rockanrepublic
11-25-2009, 08:27 AM
if you have the necessary skills to change your own clutch in the long run this will hardly touch your wallet.

scat19
11-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I thought riding/slipping were the same :dunno:

When I inch forward in traffic I bring the clutch just to friction point, get the car creeping, and then get off the clutch. I don't give it any gas, no point :dunno:

Mar
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I just hit the gas, then let out on the clutch a little as the RPM are coming down.

scat19
11-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I just hit the gas, then let out on the clutch a little as the RPM are coming down.

You're not going to argue that "slipping" is a more technically advanced method with better security for the vehicle over "riding"? :rofl:

2EFNFAST
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by scat19
I thought riding/slipping were the same :dunno:

When I inch forward in traffic I bring the clutch just to friction point, get the car creeping, and then get off the clutch. I don't give it any gas, no point :dunno:

I was thought that riding the clutch meant your foot only comes off the clutch pedal partially (i.e., with slipping your foot comes off to the engagement point then immediately clutches in; with riding your foot comes to the engagement point,t hen sits there)

slinkie
11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
any instance where the clutch is not fully depressed or fully engaged is considered 'wearing'

Mibz
11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
any instance where the clutch is not fully depressed or fully engaged is considered 'wearing' This.

What you're doing will, technically, wear the clutch but it's minimized because:
Both the clutch and the flywheel are spinning pretty slowly
There's not much power behind the flywheel
If this is the Cobra then it doesn't take much to move it forward

If you're seriously worried about it, get out and push.

slinkie
11-25-2009, 04:02 PM
^amen...people worry about their clutch way too much

Eleanor
11-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
If you're seriously worried about it, get out and push. :werd:

Seriously, if you're so concerned about the clutch wear in your Cobra, why didn't you just put in a slushbox? :poosie:

2EFNFAST
11-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
:werd:

Seriously, if you're so concerned about the clutch wear in your Cobra, why didn't you just put in a slushbox? :poosie:

Well, clearly I wouldn't be able to call myself a mangly man then, would I :rofl:

89s1
11-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I have some input here.

The term riding the clutch usually refers to a person taking too long to disengage while trying to get moving.

Slipping the clutch is more of a racing term,. Sitting at the tree, staged, you rev the engine up to where the power is best, or a little more (or hammer on it and let the anti-lag do its thing)

Then, (especially in an AWD, or a car with slicks) you will want to use the clutch the limit the amount of drive line shock to save breaking diffs and axes. Put some wear on a wearing part instead of sending all the power through instantly.

Also, OP. Why do you blip the throttle with the clutch only half released? Inching forward in traffic is usually adding rpm (if necessary) then clutching out, not the other way around.

In the end, a clutch is a wearing part, like brake pads. Do what you can to not intentionally shorten its life (riding it) but feel free to use it (slipping it.)

2EFNFAST
11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Also, OP. Why do you blip the throttle with the clutch only half released? Inching forward in traffic is usually adding rpm (if necessary) then clutching out, not the other way around.

I clutch out slightly, RPMs drop, car stalls with no gas......blip the gas (And clutch back in), RPMs up, car moves forward without stalling...:confused:

89s1
11-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I (and most drivers I've ever seen) up the rpm before releasing the clutch, that's all I'm saying.

2EFNFAST
11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
I (and most drivers I've ever seen) up the rpm before releasing the clutch, that's all I'm saying.

That's what I do when normally driving. However, for creeping forward in a spot where I don't want to lunge forward I find it very difficult to do - the clutch is very grabby and strictly on/off .... if you up the RPM first, then release it, it's going to lunge forward. If I release the clutch to the catch point, RPMs drop and it shakes forward just about ready to stall, and by giving it a blip of gas it doesn't stall and it keeps moving forward at a slow pace.

That's just the technique I developed - although maybe I taught myself a bad one (heh, wouldn't be the first time) - when I have the radiator back in I'll try it the "proper" way a fwe times....maybe practice will make perfect

bspot
11-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I keep the revs at idle rpm and the clutch is fully out at 900-1100rpm. That's the minimum wear you can put on your clutch and the smoothest way to start off. If on a steep hill or trying to take off quickly obviously that doesn't apply.

Tomaz
11-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Just giv'er everytime :burnout:

jk

Slipping a bit to move forward is no biggy. It's when you are in a higher RPM (Eg. 4000) and slowly letting out the clutch you will start getting funky smells from your gearbox.

Abeo
11-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

That's what I do when normally driving. However, for creeping forward in a spot where I don't want to lunge forward I find it very difficult to do - the clutch is very grabby and strictly on/off .... if you up the RPM first, then release it, it's going to lunge forward. If I release the clutch to the catch point, RPMs drop and it shakes forward just about ready to stall, and by giving it a blip of gas it doesn't stall and it keeps moving forward at a slow pace.

That's just the technique I developed - although maybe I taught myself a bad one (heh, wouldn't be the first time) - when I have the radiator back in I'll try it the "proper" way a fwe times....maybe practice will make perfect

Seeing as you don't drive torqueless cars, I would say your technique is fine. Its when you are barely moving forward with high revs is when you start giving the clutch grief, or 'holding' the car on a hill with the clutch. My last car had a super stiff clutch with a short throw, and I grew to love it. I had trouble driving my sister's corolla after, it just didn't feel good in comparison.

2EFNFAST
11-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Btw, while we're talking about clutches, why do people at lights feel the need to roll back and forth, back and forth?

I was watching some guy do this for like a minute straight waiting for the light to change (back and forth, back and forth) .... you're not going anywhere, so why not just sit clutch in, brake in and wait? :confused:

Prelude_dude
11-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Btw, while we're talking about clutches, why do people at lights feel the need to roll back and forth, back and forth?

I was watching some guy do this for like a minute straight waiting for the light to change (back and forth, back and forth) .... you're not going anywhere, so why not just sit clutch in, brake in and wait? :confused:

I do it because im a noob at stick lol, but i don't do it for a minute, i usually only do it when i think the light is gonna be turning green soon. I usually do it for the practice, as my starts on hills are still kinda shaky. Nothing like stalling and getting honked the fuck out of to make you wanna learn those hill starts.

scat19
11-26-2009, 06:57 PM

I say bad for your clutch spring. Keep it enganged in neutral with your ebrake/brake...

rockanrepublic
11-27-2009, 05:23 AM
this^^

i almost always use the ebrake/neutral if i just missed the light. since when do you need to blip the throttle to keep a car from stalling if your in first and not on a hill you should be able to slowly let out the clutch move forwards without stalling the engine (if you have a decent clutch still).

Mibz
11-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by scat19
I say bad for your clutch spring. Keep it enganged in neutral with your ebrake/brake... While I'm not going to pretend like I never put it in neutral, you should always leave the car in gear when you're stopped for an easy getaway when a drunk concrete truck drive approaches from the rear.

Secondly, worrying about your pressure plate is minutiae. Just like the "I'd rather wear down my brakes instead of my clutch" debate, it REALLY doesn't make a difference.

89s1
11-28-2009, 07:00 PM
brake pads ARE easier to change than clutch discs..

But i still downshift, my engine or tranny is almost always out of my car once a year at least.