PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Translation

Sasuke_Kensai
11-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I applied for Finnish citizenship and got this in the mail. Any Beyonders able to read it? I don't know any Finnish :cry:, and online translators didn't make much sense...

In particular I would like to know if I'm a citizen, and a Finnish identity number if it's on there.

The_Rural_Juror
11-25-2009, 01:50 PM
You owe 240 Euros. So you're probably in the clear.

(just a guess)

nonlinear
11-25-2009, 01:52 PM
wow, you're applying for citizenship in a country where you can't even read the dang acceptance letter?

hahahah nice

JfuckinC
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
hakkola prob could help out lol

Afrodeziak
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
You have citizenship since 5.5.2008, is what my buddy said.

Says that's pretty much all it says. He lives in Finland, so I would trust what he said. :/

The 240 euro is likely what he paid to have it processed.

SJW
11-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Send the letter back stating that "you can't read this finnish shit" ENGLISH PLEASE

Also plaster the envelope with Canadian flag stickers.

Afrodeziak
11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
"it's funny that the citizenship started in may 2008 but it's been processed in september 2009 :D"

JfuckinC
11-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Look at how long some of those words are :rofl: that's intense.

ercchry
11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
thank you for posting i now go stealz your finnish life

Sasuke_Kensai
11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks!

^ I hope they draft you into the army. :D

Hakkola
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
It used to be that you could get out of army service if you say you can't speak/understand Finnish, I had a friend that did it. I highly recommend going though and if you do I would recommend going to Santahamina if you can.

If you don't deal with the army stuff before you turn 28 you'll be arrested at the airport.

What are your plans?

What you're looking for in regards to your citizenship # would be the henkilötunnus which is your social security number. I would suggest getting in touch with the Finnish embassy in Ottawa to get your passport, everything you need will be on it.

Quizzes
11-25-2009, 02:35 PM
From Google Translation:

applicant born 18.5.1984, Calgary, Alberta, Canada Canadian citizenship

the initiation date of arrival at 5/5/2008

pathos in the Immigration Service says the report on the basis that the applicant is a Finnish citizen at the initiation of the entry date.

Offense Nationality Act (359/2003, as amended. 974/2007) 3 § 1 mom, 31 § and 60 § 2 mom

Helsinki, 30 September 2009

n1zm0
11-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
It used to be that you could get out of army service if you say you can't speak/understand Finnish, I had a friend that did it. I highly recommend going though and if you do I would recommend going to Santahamina if you can.

If you don't deal with the army stuff before you turn 28 you'll be arrested at the airport.

so it's a military conscript letter? or is it 6 months or a year in Finland? i remember my cousin was here for school (from Singapore) and he got the conscription letter, had to do it or risk never begin able to go back.

Hakkola
11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
No, it's not a conscript letter. Pretty much every male has to go though, I requested to do service after I got my citizenship.

Minimum is 6 months, but it depends on what you're doing, if you go to corporal school it's a year, transportation and medics I think serve for 9 months etc.

Sasuke_Kensai
11-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Hmm - I didn't actually know about the military aspect (or I must have read about exemptions for dual citizens) Now would be the time to do it though. Been laid off without much hope of hiring at this point, not really sure what path I want to take from here on out.

Does everyone there speak Finnish, or could you get by mostly with English? I assume one wouldn't really fit in.

nonlinear
11-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
Hmm - I didn't actually know about the military aspect (or I must have read about exemptions for dual citizens) Now would be the time to do it though. Been laid off without much hope of hiring at this point, not really sure what path I want to take from here on out.

Does everyone there speak Finnish, or could you get by mostly with English? I assume one wouldn't really fit in.

WHAT!??!?!?!? is this for real? are you kidding? you've become a citizen of a country, don't speak the language, and don't even know what proportion of the people speak english or not? have you ever even been to finland? why the heck are you becoming a citizen of a country you know nothign about? don't they make you take a test about the history of the country, etc. before you can become a citizen (like in canada)? or do they just hand out citizenship to anyone who asks?

Trini
11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
:facepalm: sorry but you can't even speak the language and you want to live there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland#Languages

In a 2005 Eurobarometer survey studying languages of the European Union, 60% of adult residents claimed to know English, 38% claimed to know Swedish as a second language (41% in 2008), and 17% claimed to know German.[38] Ranking those claiming a knowledge of English, Finland ranked fifth behind Malta, the Netherlands (86%), Sweden (85%), and Denmark (83%). Relatively many Finns knew German, while relatively few knew French or Spanish.

Mibz
11-25-2009, 05:25 PM
You guys ever been to modern Europe?

You can live just about anywhere only knowing English. All three of the Finnish guys I know speak better English than Finnish. I agree that it's odd to get citizenship without knowing the language, but to say he couldn't live and succeed there without it is false.

nonlinear
11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
yes i've been several times. however, it seems like this guy has never been there, knows nothing about the country, the people, etc. and he's becoming a citizen?!?!??!?!?

Hakkola
11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
How did you decide to get your Finnish citizenship?

You're fine living in Helsinki if you can't speak Finnish, but it could be difficult to find work there depending on what kind of degree you have.

I would say 90% of the people under 35 in Helsinki you wouldn't have a problem communicating with. Everyday life won't really be a problem, you'll actually do pretty well over there speaking English with a Canadian accent, girls will love you.

Do you have a degree?

Seanith
11-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
yes i've been several times. however, it seems like this guy has never been there, knows nothing about the country, the people, etc. and he's becoming a citizen?!?!??!?!?

Well if you're entitled to it, why not? I'm pursuing a European Citizenship and I don't know the native language. I'm trying to learn, but you don't HAVE to know it. I agree though, the OP should learn a thing or two first. Thats just a bit embarassing if you ask me.

Vagabond142
11-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I've been to Finland twice, I don't speak the language, and I got on just fine in Turku, Tampere and Helsinki. Hell, all the finnish friends on my MSN speak perfect fluent English. In fact, one of them speaks too perfect, as in formal english, government level stuff XD

Getting a job there is another aspect. If you join the foreign service forces part of the Finnish military, you're fine (and Hakkola can point you towards that, he did it).

It is a lovely country tho. Especially the ladies :love: :love: :love: There is a saying: "There are no ugly women in Finland," and from my experiences, that is about 95% true. Even the ones considered slightly wonky are hot by our standards. It's only the ones that have had their faces rubbed against the cheese grater of ugly, then smacked with an ugly stick, and then had an uglybomb shoved up their ass that are really ugly :P

Hakkola
11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
but to say he couldn't live and succeed there without it is false.

He can't live and succeed there without it unless he has a some sort of degree or work experience that is in demand. Otherwise I would be living there right now.

OP, I should add that if you're going to go there and do schooling (free) you better do military service first, or things will be tough for you. Actually if you plan on living there at all I would suggest that you do it.

There are classes that you can take if you're a new citizen where they will teach you the language, I believe that you're also eligible for the student stipend while doing so.

Vagabond142
11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

Well if you're entitled to it, why not? I'm pursuing a European Citizenship and I don't know the native language. I'm trying to learn, but you don't HAVE to know it. I agree though, the OP should learn a thing or two first. Thats just a bit embarassing if you ask me.

^^^^^^^ one of the first things you need to know in Finnish is "kiitos." I'll let the OP find the translation on that :) It's widely used and very important

I am lucky that my dual citizenship is with New Zealand, so it's English in BOTH countries for me :D

Mibz
11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
He can't live and succeed there without it unless he has a some sort of degree or work experience that is in demand. Otherwise I would be living there right now. Wait, they'll let you in without a degree if you speak Finnish?

...That's a little weird isn't it?

Vagabond142
11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Mibz: the reason for that is because a Finnish citizen is entitled to the free schooling there. So if you already have a degree, it kinda doesn't make sense.

Sasuke_Kensai
11-25-2009, 06:23 PM
kiitos =P

Well, to explain how I got here: I'm half-Finnish, and my sister brought up that there was a deadline to apply for it. My rationale then was pretty much, "well, it'd be cool to have dual-citizenship." I've also been told that traveling within the EU would be easier this way.

I don't think I would be living there long-term, perhaps an extended vacation or to see what half my ancestry is all about. So basically, I just have to make a decision about the military part (and learn if necessary).

Hakkola
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Wait, they'll let you in without a degree if you speak Finnish?

...That's a little weird isn't it?

What? I have no idea what you mean.

What I'm saying is that you won't be able to find a job other than at a bar if you don't have a degree or work skill that is in demand. There are people who work at Nokia headquarters for example that don't speak Finnish.

If I went there with my degree and my Finnish speaking ability I wouldn't be able to get a job.

He could do schooling though, for free. Almost all the programs, other than law, are available in English.

revelations
11-25-2009, 11:01 PM
OP since you are a Finnish citizen (like myself), you are eligible for an EU passport which essentially allows you to work and travel in all EU nations - not just Finland.

BTW the 240E processing fee... ouch !

ExtremeSi
11-25-2009, 11:29 PM
You crazy Finn! You're leaving us aren't you!

Does this mean you can also get Korean citizenship? Tri-citizenship!

Sasuke_Kensai
11-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Uh oh, my cover's blown! Haha, generally, I think you can only get dual citizenship.

To Hakkola: I do have an engineering degree, still at the junior level. Prospects here aren't great at the moment, but going by your comments, I imagine working in Finland wouldn't be the best option for me even if I did schooling there.

Team_Mclaren
11-26-2009, 01:07 AM
LOL i love the double standard. You people make it seem like its ok to not learn the native language while obtaining a citizenship/living in Europe but bitch out about the Asians that do the same here.... lol fucking fail :facepalm: give me a fucking break

Hakkola
11-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Uh oh, my cover's blown! Haha, generally, I think you can only get dual citizenship.

To Hakkola: I do have an engineering degree, still at the junior level. Prospects here aren't great at the moment, but going by your comments, I imagine working in Finland wouldn't be the best option for me even if I did schooling there.

With an engineering degree you might have a chance, it wouldn't hurt to apply for some jobs. If you did schooling there you should be able to learn the language and be fine.

If I were you I'd take the opportunity to take advantage of free schooling while the economy is down, and enjoy the great nightlife etc.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
LOL i love the double standard. You people make it seem like its ok to not learn the native language while obtaining a citizenship/living in Europe but bitch out about the Asians that do the same here.... lol fucking fail :facepalm: give me a fucking break

Not a double standard, completely different situations. Knowing English in most major cities in Europe you can communicate with most of the people, they learn English in schools and from T.V/movies. In North America we don't learn Cantonese and Hindi and Vietnamese etc. You're just pissed because your English sucks. :rofl: ;)

The_Rural_Juror
11-26-2009, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't mind being a Finn.

Does Rally driving school qualify for the student stipend? :D

Seanith
11-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by revelations
OP since you are a Finnish citizen (like myself), you are eligible for an EU passport which essentially allows you to work and travel in all EU nations - not just Finland.

This is the main benefit for me too. Living and working anywhere in the EU would be an awesome perk.

To Hakkola: I do have an engineering degree, still at the junior level.

Same thing as me. I figured with the economy the shits, why not take an adventure and try to find something in Europe and live life to the fullest out there for a couple years? I haven't been looking hard enough out there and didn't find anything. It's still an option for the future, but things are getting better here it seems.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

If you go to Europe, i'd say like half the people seem to be able to speak English. At least most people in retail, working at restaurants, tourism focused industries. North America is an English speaking continent. You're really comparing apples to oranges here.

Team_Mclaren
11-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

If you go to Europe, i'd say like half the people seem to be able to speak English. At least most people in retail, working at restaurants, tourism focused industries. North America is an English speaking continent. You're really comparing apples to oranges here.

If you go to TO or Hongcouver, i'd say like half of the people (that half being all Chinese.. lol) seem to be able to speak Chinese. You can easily get by without knowing a word of English.

Dont get me wrong, i think it should be a requirement to learn the native language if you are becoming a citizen. I'm just annoyed that some of you think its ok because now it applies to you.

Just like the OP, its fucking ridiculous that you cant even read an official letter from your government. If the same thing occurs to someone wanting to move to NA, he'll get bashed more than 89coupe....