PDA

View Full Version : Parliamentary Reforms In Canada

Weapon_R
11-20-2003, 11:19 PM
For those who are interested in this kind of thing, what sorts of Parliamentary reforms are you interested in seeing take place in the Canadian parliament?

(Yes, it's for a paper, I need a few more things to include and i'm kind of at a loss here...)

JAYMEZ
11-22-2003, 02:29 AM
cutting red tape for entrepreneurs, eliminating domestic trade barriers and removing limits to foreign investment. We also need more money to our Army , umm more money put into the Canadian dollar , hell we could be taken over by a bunch of Quebecors in a second lol ... we would then be called New France or something instead of Canada

Si_FlyGuy
11-22-2003, 06:14 AM
A more equitable representation for the western provinces in Ottawa.

A solid foundation plan for dealing with the projected CPP shortfall.

Increased fiscal responsibility.

4wheeldrift
11-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Triple E Senate

link785
11-22-2003, 10:02 PM
Removal of the current representation system. These "seats" will never be spread out, simply because they are based on the population of the "riding". Unfortunately, the majority of the Canadian population lives in Ontario and Quebec, and out in the west, even with Vancouver, we can't beat them.

Maybe we should use an electoral collage, like in the USA? I don't really have any alternative ideas, but something that isn't SOLEY based on population.

Weapon_R
11-22-2003, 10:32 PM
What an incredible idea! That has totally slipped my mind - and a lot of countries have you're suggesting - It's called proportional representation.

The basic idea is that MP's would be elected based on the proportion of votes a party gets: IE - Liberals get 50% of the vote all across Canada, then they get 50% of the seats .

Khyron
11-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Yes, it means the winner of the popular vote get's the proportionate seats. Our system, and the American system work fine as long as there are only 2 parties. The third party just splits one or the other.

I think it's Australia, they have a first choice, second choice, etc just for that. So if you vote for the Elephant party and he doesn't win, they look at what your second choice was and so on until someone is the clear majority (50%+) winner.

Khyron

link785
11-23-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
What an incredible idea! That has totally slipped my mind - and a lot of countries have you're suggesting - It's called proportional representation.

The basic idea is that MP's would be elected based on the proportion of votes a party gets: IE - Liberals get 50% of the vote all across Canada, then they get 50% of the seats .

Never said I was a politics guru :)

thich
11-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Triple E Senate :werd:

littledan
11-26-2003, 03:50 PM
or just get rid of the senate alltogether... just a redundant waste of $$

4wheeldrift
11-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by littledan
or just get rid of the senate alltogether... just a redundant waste of $$ Well, theoretically the senate is performing a useful function. Theoretically. In practice, its a place where patronage appointments go to die, and they get paid ridiculously well to do sweet fuck all.