PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Renovation...

EK 2.0
11-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Hey beyond...

I am sure there are a few very good and professional contractors here on these boards. And if possible would love to get someone "local" hired versus going through the phone book. That being said, if any of you have had a great experience with a contractor then please let me know and I will take a look at that avenue as well...

What I am looking to have done, well my parents, is have a bathroom re-done in the basement. They feel that the pipes behind the walls have developed a leak and therefore will need to get in, have those repaired, as well as then the bathroom put back together.

They are looking for 2 quotes, one to repair and replace the bathroom as close to "OEM" as possible, and the other to repair and then Mike Holmes the bathroom and pimp it out a touch.

So, any and all information for contractors is greatly appreciated, just post up here and we can proceed from there...

Thank you...

Arif.

C_Dave45
11-26-2009, 08:48 AM
sent you a PM. We do complete bathroom reno's.

barmanjay
11-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey Arif

Here are 2 guys I would call

Carmine Manna - 403-818-6639

Dennis Dory - 403-620-4476

And if you need a quick temp fix ASAP,..I'll come over tonight ;)

1-Bar
11-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
And if you need a quick temp fix ASAP,..I'll come over tonight ;)

....that's what she said!

Back on topic....build a Man's Bathroom (like Tim the Tool man Taylor)

EK 2.0
11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies Jay, I left messages for the 2 you provided...

C_Dave45 pm is replied....

And 1-Bar...haha...that would be sooo bad ass...but I don't think they have the room for the Binford 6100 Series Bathroom...haha

barmanjay
11-26-2009, 01:48 PM
:thumbsup:

Hope you find someone ;)

btw: MikeHolmes'ing would be opening up the wall,..finding more problems,.. demolishing the house and building a new one.
Can also be considered ExtremeMakeover'ing if done in 1 week or less.

I think you would be referring more towards DebbieTravis'ing the bathroom :D

C_Dave45
11-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
:thumbsup:
btw: MikeHolmes'ing would be opening up the wall,..finding more problems,.. demolishing the house and building a new one.

You forgot, it would also include replacing existing joists with Steel titanium I-beams at 6" centres and 24" footings! ;) "I like to go OVER code!!....I love my job" hahaha

barmanjay
11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
:hijack:

http://www.bydio.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/20080618-mike-holmes-teh-awesum1.jpg

tobypaddock
11-28-2009, 12:13 PM
mike holmes would also find a problem with ur dogs inner structure, go in there replace all those "weak" (i.e perfectly good) hips with carbon fiber pneumatically power ones, restitch him up with Peruvian sourceD carbide screws every 2 inches as opposed to the standard 4 and slap a fresh coat of paint on him. THANK YOU MIKE HOLMES... what a knob

CivicDXR
11-28-2009, 12:52 PM
leave room in the budget for this stuff:

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/tag/bathroom/

:bigpimp:

EK 2.0
12-01-2009, 12:17 AM
bump...

Man, not to bag on contractors...but some of you cats who have given quotes are maddddd shady...

Please if anyone knows of some decent and upstanding ones that have done great work for you in the past let me know.

G-ZUS
12-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
bump...

Man, not to bag on contractors...but some of you cats who have given quotes are maddddd shady...

Please if anyone knows of some decent and upstanding ones that have done great work for you in the past let me know.

Care to share?

EK 2.0
12-01-2009, 01:01 AM
For sure...I am not gonna mention any names of companies or individuals who have come by...

And I am waiting for two people from beyond to go by and quote...

But, I expected the job to be between 5-6 thousand. All said and done. This goes for whether my parents provide the materials or the contractor takes care of all of that. I also expect perhaps 5 hundred or so for the "incidentals". I mean we obviously have no idea how bad the wall behind all the stuff might be in terms of rot, or mold until we get in there. I mean it's obviously been leaking long enough for it to bleed through the drywall, and I expect we will have to replace more than just plumbing when they open the wall up. this also might include a repair to the adjacent room that shares a wall with the bathroom...

And, no, I am not a contractor, nor a hardcore Al Borland type handyman. yes I have done some basic shit around the house...electrical, VERY basic plumbing, "easy" full sheet drywall replacements and the stuff associated with that, and painting obviously...But to tack on like 2500 dollars to the quotes for the "incidentals", and include repairs to adjacent rooms that are nowhere near the actual site...I mean seriously??

anothers10
12-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Mabey you could save money by doing the demo. How old is the house ? Does it have Polybutylene pipes ?

Oz-
12-01-2009, 09:32 AM
You may be able to get the quotes tightened up, by opening up the wall and letting people see what is behind there.

beyond_ban
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
You want professional service with outstanding results?

You have PM sir.

C_Dave45
12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
bump...

ROFL....I'm not surprised.
Are we still on for tomorrow sometime? it looks like I might be fairly open, timewise.

EK 2.0
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Fo sho...I will give you a call in the am and we can set up the visit for the quote...

mr2mike
12-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by anothers10
Mabey you could save money by doing the demo. How old is the house ? Does it have Polybutylene pipes ?

For sure. DOing a demo right now and man it takes a lot of time to rip things apart when the guy drywalled with plywood. But that and the cleaning up takes time. DIY will reduce the quote IMO.

ExtraSlow
12-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Not surprised that you are getting lose quotes since the contractor can't even see what they are dealing with. Right now, the quotes have to cover the worst case scenario.
Rip open that wall, let them see inside and you'll get better quotes.

C_Dave45
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Not surprised that you are getting lose quotes since the contractor can't even see what they are dealing with. Right now, the quotes have to cover the worst case scenario.
Rip open that wall, let them see inside and you'll get better quotes.

Its a currently used bathroom. Not too practical to rip everything apart while you wait for a bunch of quotes, and then construction to begin. Its not a hugely complicated quote. I took a look at it. Very simple. Will have the written quote to you by tonight, Arif. Thanks for the opportunity. Pleasure meeting you and your family.

EK 2.0
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Dave, it was great meeting you as well...