PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to deadlift??

littledan
11-26-2009, 04:01 AM
I've had lower back problems and am wondering if there are some exercises that hit the same muscles as a deadlift??

right now my routine is lacking in the deadlift and I believe this is hindering my weight gain...

I can do squats fine but the deadlift motion seems to aggravate my lower back.

mdeluxe
11-26-2009, 08:02 AM
try using a belt. It will help

dandia89
11-30-2009, 10:09 AM
i had the same problem and my doctor said my lower back muscles were extremely deconditioned (because i was sitting in a chair all day). Your doctor may recommend physio if your back problems are because of the stabilizing muscles.

will_e_chill
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
When I hurt my back and then knee, I revamped my workout to mostly weight training exercises with a stability/balance aspect.

Instead of plain deadlifts, I did Single-Leg Romanian Deadlifts and deadlift on a BOSU half ball.

You won't be able to do much weight at the start (I started out with just body weight) because your stabilizer muscles aren't used to it but eventually I worked up to using dumbbells and my back got stronger and better.

http://www.menshealth.com/powertraining/cms/publish/hip-dominant-uni/Single-Leg_Romanian_Deadlift.php

The romanian deadlifts are also good for improving your hamstring and glut flexibility which might be a cause of your back pain.

lint
11-30-2009, 11:19 AM
How is your technique? DLs shouldn't hit the lower back primarily, the glutes/hams should bear the load. My experience is that my lower back gets taxed more from high volume squats as the lower back has to stabilize the weight on my back.

If you gym has one, try glute/ham raises, and back hyperextensions. Also, don't neglect the abs, as strong abs = strong back.

Oz-
11-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by lint
How is your technique? DLs shouldn't hit the lower back primarily, the glutes/hams should bear the load.

yes/no

It depends on the actual DL stance imo. Conventional vs Sumo.

There is no alternative for the deadlift. The posterior chain and strong core, helps you with this lift. If you can't do too much weight on it, then be safe. Work up your posterior chain and the dull pain will start to go away. If the pain is sharp, then there is something wrong...

grampafunk
12-01-2009, 12:11 AM
no substitution. /end thread.

liquidboi69
12-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by grampafunk
no substitution. /end thread.
I would have to agree with this. There is no substitute for bench/OHP/squat/DL