PDA

View Full Version : Sun article on Calgary street racer

urban.one
11-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Anyone know the people involved?

Street racer to pay for ignoring advice
By KEVIN MARTIN

Last Updated: 26th November 2009, 4:41am
If only Calgarian Timmothy Field had listened to the voice of reason, he wouldn't be facing a potential jail term.

Instead, Field let youthful stupidity get the better of him on Nov. 8, 2008, when he decided to street race a friend along a busy city thoroughfare, leaving two people, including one of his passengers, Justin Emery, badly injured.

'THUMBS UP'

Field, after a night of drinking and with little, or no sleep, shared a "thumbs up" sign with the driver of a Nissan Skyline, signalling their intention to race, as the two motorists were stopped at a red light on Macleod Tr. S.W.

While Field told Emery he thought it would be fun to race their buddies in the other vehicle, his friend "told him that racing was not a good idea," according to an agreed statement of facts submitted to court earlier this week.

Unfortunately for Emery, his advice fell on deaf ears and Field proceeded to race the other vehicle up Cemetery Hill from 25 Ave. S.W. after the light turned green.

Reaching speeds estimated by witnesses at 140 km/h in a 60 km/h zone, the inevitable happened and Field lost control of his Nissan Maxima, jumped the curb and started heading in the wrong direction towards oncoming traffic.

After careering southbound in the northbound lanes for more than 200 metres, Field collided head on with a Jeep Cherokee, injuring the passenger in that SUV along with Emery.

Susan McGill, who was in the front passenger seat of the Jeep, suffered severe bruising, blood pooling in her chest, a knee injury which required surgery and soft tissue injuries to several joints and muscles.

The blood pooling means McGill must undergo constant mammograms to check for long-term damage.

Emery, who was in the back seat of Field's car, dislocated his right shoulder, needed 35 stitches to close a gash to his head and suffered other bruising and cuts.

Amazingly, no one else was more than shaken up in the collision, but that was only due to good luck on the part of Field. The city man, who was 18 at the time, could very easily have killed several people because of his bad decision making.

Had he, he would be looking at a potential life sentence -- the maximum punishment available for killing someone while street racing.

And while the maximum sentence would not likely have been imposed, Field would have had to spend the rest of his life dealing with the guilt his own testosterone-fueled stupidity led to the death of an innocent person.

That would have been a much more severe punishment than the one he will face when he is sentenced at an as yet to be determined later date.

Despite his good fortune, Field is still likely looking at a period of time behind bars -- a daunting enough reality for anyone, but especially someone just entering adulthood.

Crown prosecutor Kyra Kondro has given notice she will be seeking to have Field's crime designated a serious personal injury offence, something which brings with it an automatic jail term.

While he was guilty of no more than a few moments of bad judgment, Field must now pay for the consequences of his actions.

It's a life lesson he will likely never forget.

Unfortunately, it may be lost on other motorists who put pedal to the metal without considering the consequences.

All Calgarians, and Albertans and Canadians for that matter, should remember that when they get behind the wheel they're taking control of a potentially deadly weapon.

DEATH MACHINE

Most people wouldn't act so carelessly with a gun, so why do so many more do so with their cars?

The bottom line is Field should have heeded Emery's advice and turned down the invitation to turn his car into a death machine.

[email protected]

GQBalla
11-26-2009, 09:30 AM
niceeee nissan skyline....

sigh

dj_rice
11-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Street racing is stupid period but a Maxima vs a Skyline?:rofl: :rolleyes:

dansmith11
11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
not supporting street racing.. but i dont like the way that article was written.

a crash is NOT inevitable at speeds of 140km/h. thats just retarded.

and a car is NOT a death machine.

stupidity and incompetence can make a car dangerous, but stupidty and incompetence can make safety scissors dangerous

Fear is no way to teach. when your attitude towards driving is that a car is some crazy death machine that needs to be handled like a bomb thats about to go off just leads to panicy freaked out drivers. and thats when people crash, something goes wrong, something unexpected happens etc. and they freak out and BAM, crashed.

Drivers need to pay attention to driving. when your in your car. your driving, its not just another place you sit while your on your way to somewhere. focus on the task at hand! its not that difficult. and with modern cars and tires, if everyone was truely paying attention to driving and nothing but driving.. everyone could drive 140km/h everywhere and youd have no problems. but thats another story..

..as for this guy.. hes pretty retarded.. even putting aside the morality of street racing. clearly he cant drive worth shit. how do you figure you should be racing people if you cant even control a car going 140km/h in a straight line? jeeeesus christ.

Sykes
11-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by dansmith11

..as for this guy.. hes pretty retarded.. even putting aside the morality of street racing. clearly he cant drive worth shit. how do you figure you should be racing people if you cant even control a car going 140km/h in a straight line? jeeeesus christ.

It's not a matter of going in a straight line: controlling a car going 140km/h on a highway is different than controlling a car going 140km/h on MacLeod Trail. The adrenaline, accelerated heart beat, traffic, stop lights, friends in the back seat cheering you on (or freaking out) all play a factor...

1-Bar
11-26-2009, 11:05 AM
that stretch is uphill, then downhill with a few curves along the road, barrier in the middle and some business entries/exits along the right hand side...high speeds in that area area recipe for trouble....

syeve
11-26-2009, 11:20 AM
not supporting street racing.. but i dont like the way that article was written.

a crash is NOT inevitable at speeds of 140km/h. thats just retarded.

and a car is NOT a death machine.

stupidity and incompetence can make a car dangerous, but stupidty and incompetence can make safety scissors dangerous

Fear is no way to teach. when your attitude towards driving is that a car is some crazy death machine that needs to be handled like a bomb thats about to go off just leads to panicy freaked out drivers. and thats when people crash, something goes wrong, something unexpected happens etc. and they freak out and BAM, crashed.

Drivers need to pay attention to driving. when your in your car. your driving, its not just another place you sit while your on your way to somewhere. focus on the task at hand! its not that difficult. and with modern cars and tires, if everyone was truely paying attention to driving and nothing but driving.. everyone could drive 140km/h everywhere and youd have no problems. but thats another story..

Waiting for thread "I just got busted going 140kms down 16th Ave, stupid cops!!!??!"

Forget the fact that driving 140kms down a city street is stupid and not cool. Ask Mad$ella if he thought he was a good driver.

What about the other drivers? You are prepared to accept injury, death because you believe you are a talented driver when the fact is about 5 people on this board have any real driver training beyond understeering their mom's Accord.

The fact IS, even a professional driver wouldn't drive that fast on city streets, simply because the vast majority of people sharing the road with him can not drive worth shit and that makes every driving situation dangerous IMO.

Not directing this at you, I just feel no good could come of this. And, this article proves it. Maybe I am getting old.

Xtrema
11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Street racing is stupid period but a Maxima vs a Skyline?:rofl: :rolleyes:

VQ35 VS RB26?

GQBalla
11-26-2009, 12:02 PM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=688685613&ref=search&sid=130600349.3877642379..1

tim field

urban.one
11-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Basic Information
Networks:Forest Lawn High School '07

lolz

Originally posted by GQBalla
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=688685613&ref=search&sid=130600349.3877642379..1

tim field

G-ZUS
11-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Wasn't there a thread about this year on here? One of the guys racing didn't have insurance or something?

nvm found it

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/240877/accident-on-macleod/

Originally posted by tjblacklight
the driver of the maxima is my good friend
he was drunk with no insurance......
and the other driver is my other friend they jailed both of them with no bail ....lol
that car was a fucking beauty now smashed to shit

Tomaz
11-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

VQ35 VS RB26?

Family Saloon vs "Sports car"?

A sedan traveling down that hill at those speeds, doesn't take much for the soft suspension to give making a driver react poorly.

TorqueDog
11-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Reaching speeds estimated by witnesses at 140 km/h in a 60 km/h zone, the inevitable happened and Field lost control of his Nissan Maxima, jumped the curb and started heading in the wrong direction towards oncoming traffic. Estimated by witnesses? Fuck off. I bet you get ten people along a sidewalk and ask them to estimate the speed of a random car and every single one of them gives you a different answer. Give us a number substantiated by the police investigation that followed the crash, or nothing at all.

Disoblige
11-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Estimated by witnesses? Fuck off. I bet you get ten people along a sidewalk and ask them to estimate the speed of a random car and every single one of them gives you a different answer. Give us a number substantiated by the police investigation that followed the crash, or nothing at all.

Dude, that guy was going like 200 kph!

speedog
11-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I'll wager that this kid (Tim Field) probably never went out to Race City to strut his stuff. Too bad really, his poor decision on a city street will impact a number of people for quite a while if not forever - had he chosen to race at Secret Street at Race City, he'd have only hurt himself if that.

So why does a kid like this not utilize Race City's Secret Street nights - yeah, I know that some will post that there's that adrenaline rush of doing it on the 'streets', but if this kid had been doing it at Race City and actively supporting that venue, this probably wouldn't have happened and it might have been one more voice that could've saved Race City. One less racer on the streets and one more at Race City possibly bringing in more fans to Race City - one has to wonder.

badatusrnames
11-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Chill guy I heard though.

A3GTiVR6SC
11-26-2009, 06:08 PM
^^:rofl:

syritis
11-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Anyone know the people involved?

Street racer to pay for ignoring advice
By KEVIN MARTIN

....Amazingly, no one else was more than shaken up in the collision, but that was only due to good luck on the part of Field. The city man, who was 18 at the time, could very easily have killed several people because of his bad decision making...

...And while the maximum sentence would not likely have been imposed, Field would have had to spend the rest of his life dealing with the guilt his own testosterone-fueled stupidity led to the death of an innocent person.

[email protected]

is it just me or does this article contradict itself?

how about a better article, the one that includes the importance of race city as viewed by the CPS.

Crash driver admits racing in southwest Calgary
By Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald
November 25, 2009

CALGARY - A 19-year-old driver has admitted street racing was the cause of a high-speed, head-on crash that injured two people.

Timmothy Field pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm in connection with the collision at Macleod Trail and Mission Road S.W. on Nov. 8, 2008.

Crown prosecutor Kyra Kondro told provincial court Judge Sean Dunnigan that Field, driving a 2003 Nissan Maxima, and a friend, Justin Gould, in a 1992 Nissan Skyline, began racing southbound at 25th Avenue at about 10:35 a.m.

According to witnesses, she said, the vehicles reached speeds of about 140 kilometres per hour in the 60-km/h zone before Field lost control of his car.

"The vehicle hit and jumped over the cement median . . . and travelled at a high speed down the wrong way of northbound Macleod Trail for approximately 212 metres," said Kondro, reading an agreed statement of facts.

She said the racing incident took place over about 1.5 kilometres.

Kondro said the traffic light for northbound vehicles -- including a Jeep Cherokee, Lexus and Honda Civic -- turned green and they began to move forward.

"The accused's vehicle struck the Jeep Cherokee head on," said Kondro.

"The force of the collision caused the Jeep Cherokee to flip onto its side, collide with the Lexus and slide into the Honda Civic before coming to a stop."

Susan McGill, a front passenger in the Jeep, and Justin Emery, a passenger in the accused's vehicle, suffered serious injuries.

Both victims have largely recovered from their injuries, according to the court document, but still have some lingering problems.

The prosecutor said Field had been drinking alcohol the previous night until about 4 a.m. and had very little sleep.

Ironically, Kondro noted, Emery had told Field just before the incident began that "racing would not be a good idea," after Field suggested it.

Insp. Tammy Pozzobon of the city police traffic section said street racing is not rampant in Calgary but, when it occurs, innocent people are inevitably brought into such drivers' bad choices.

"We don't begrudge people who like to race, but that's why we have Race City Speedway," said Pozzobon. "It just can't be on our roadways where the public is put at risk.

"Alcohol and anything, including lack of sleep, don't go hand in hand. They all affect your ability to handle a vehicle. As we increase our speed on the roadway, the danger and carnage go up exponentially."

Each case, she added, is dealt with on an individual basis.

On Tuesday, the judge ordered a pre-sentencing report on Field, then adjourned the case until Friday to set a date for disposition.

Gould also faces dangerous driving charges from the same incident.

He is scheduled for trial in January.

dslade@tHeHerald. Canwest.Com

in*10*se
11-26-2009, 06:36 PM
tim better govern himself accordingly...

Toma
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
They should just allow street racing in low traffic, areas, or close a road where we can do it anytime. Some industrial area or something. 1/2 mile or so of straight road, closed after 9 pm or something.

Going fast in and of itself is not really dangerous. Having other traffic around is what makes it so.

If the cops would just lay off the "organized" stuff done out in the boonies, incidence like this may be reduced.

Toma
11-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Besides.... the article fairly plainly states the guy was drinking... he would not be allowed at Race City.

So was this accident filed under "Drunk Driver" or "Street Racer"?

Toma
11-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Waiting for thread "I just got busted going 140kms down 16th Ave, stupid cops!!!??!"

I dunno.... either he was really drunk, or going way faster than 140....

In my youth I've taken Cemetery Hill at pretty gross speeds... but I was never intoxicated.

Jason Lange
11-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Toma

but I was never intoxicated.

must have been a boring youth...lol

extm88
11-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Toma- each 2 of your last 3 posts were the stupidest things ive read in 2 hours on beyond.
1st post you talk about how street racing should be allowed in certain areas...wtf. I understand a push to keep race city but opening a street of a quarter mile is retarded.
2nd post you talk about doing gross speeds on cemetery hill. Thats a very dangerous spot to go fast as it was mentioned earlier, goes uphill then downhill with some bends and then a immediate traffic light at the other end.
You say it like your proud you have done such.....idiot.

Ebon
11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Went to Jr. high with Tim Field. Was a pretty quiet kid but that was like 7 years ago.

nonlinear
11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by extm88

2nd post you talk about doing gross speeds on cemetery hill. Thats a very dangerous spot to go fast as it was mentioned earlier, goes uphill then downhill with some bends and then a immediate traffic light at the other end.

we all do stupid shit when we're young. maybe you didn't make any mistakes, but that's how most people learn to be good, responsible adults :thumbsup:

Danny Meehan
11-26-2009, 09:44 PM
extm, he was watching F&F on rerun :)

extm88
11-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
Went to Jr. high with Tim Field. Was a pretty quiet kid but that was like 7 years ago.

Could still be the quietest kid around....
What ive learned from people after highschool is it seems that a good majority of the ones who took their friday and saturday nights to party hard and spent mon-fri at school seem to be the ones who have somewhat grown up with the partying stage.
Then I know alot of people who spent Friday and Saturday doing nothing and then they get into the real world or college and partying takes over their life.

Toma
11-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Jason Lange

must have been a boring youth...lol
LOL.. never drank... still had fun!

Toma
11-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by extm88
Toma-
1st post you talk about how street racing should be allowed in certain areas...wtf. .........

2nd post you talk about doing gross speeds on cemetery hill.

1) I see it as an awesome solution. I street raced for 10+ years out in industrial areas of Calgary, or just out of town. Never even seen an accident... why? straight road, no traffic... no big deal. Many many smaller towns put on race events on closed roads, 100 footers, side by sides... There is no downside that I can see.

2) Yep, young and addicted to speed. It's a part of my record ... 3 suspensions due to demerits, stunting tickets, racing tickets, speeding... whatever. No harm done ;) Am I proud of it? Nah, but other then monetary inconvenience, there were no negative outcomes.... so I have no regrets.

Kloubek
11-26-2009, 10:56 PM

2) Yep, young and addicted to speed. It's a part of my record ... 3 suspensions due to demerits, stunting tickets, racing tickets, speeding... whatever. No harm done ;) Am I proud of it? Nah, but other then monetary inconvenience, there were no negative outcomes.... so I have no regrets.

...impressive restraint after being called an idiot, I must admit.

At the end of the day though Toma, you would probably agree that engaging in such activities HIGHLY increased your chances of causing an accident... would you not? And in my opinion, I could care less if people wished to risk their own life.... but when it risks the lives of innocent people (such as in this case) it makes my blood boil.

While I agree with you that if roads were closed off and the situation was controlled, street racing would be acceptable, I would certainly not condone racing under any arbitrary environment... even if it was in "select" urban areas.

I too have engaged in street racing, on a deserted, straight road. I assumed the risks, as did anyone else involved. But when I read articles like this, I get pretty upset. So senseless. But then, so was removing a stop sign from a major street when I was a teenager. Teens tend to do stupid things which have simply no excuse.

Toma
11-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I am not defending the morons that race on actual public streets with other traffic.

Just saying if we had a place to go any night of the week and open it up, this would be a non issue.

Lots of areas with no traffic where this is possible, and that is what real "street racing" always was. That's why there were no accidents, an no "innocent children were hurt".

There will ALWAYS be those with no discretion or brains, we cannot control human nature.

But we can give the humans an outlet where they cant harm anyone not willingly involved.

It may be politically incorrect, but I dont give a fuck. If GM is allowed to sell a 700 hp corvette, then the governments need to ensure there are places for cars like this to stretch their legs without endangering the SUV driving soccer mom.

Race city is just milking the Street Race aspect of the problem for publicity. It is a shithole as a venue, the staff is fucking rude, the track is slicker than any road, and it is only open one night a week.

It is NOT the magical solution....

TorqueDog
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
They should just allow street racing in low traffic, areas, or close a road where we can do it anytime."Road's closed, pizza boy - find another way home!"

hampstor
05-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Justin Gould was convicted:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Street+racer+found+guilty+high+speed+crash/4773590/story.html

CALGARY — A judge has convicted a young man of illegally street racing with a friend, who lost control of his vehicle and rolled, injuring his passenger and a woman in a vehicle he struck head on.

In convicting Justin Gould, 20, on Thursday, provincial court Judge Terry Semenuk said although Gould was not involved in a crash, he was equally responsible for the consequences of the high-speed race with Timmothy Field on Macleod Trail on Nov. 8, 2008.

“I find that the accused’s participation in a street race with Field was inherently dangerous,” said the judge, who convicted Gould of two counts of racing his vehicle with another vehicle in a manner dangerous to the public causing bodily harm.

“The manner of driving created a grave risk of death or injury to other users of the road. What happened at the intersection of Macleod Trail and 36th Avenue came within the ambit of that risk. I am satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused’s manner of driving was a contributing cause of the accident and the bodily harm sustained by the two victims, Susan McGill-Hoff and Justin Emery.”

The judge concluded that the two drivers — Gould in his 1991 Nissan Skyline and Field in his black Nissan Maxima — had been driving southbound at high speeds before they stopped for a red light at 25th Avenue.

Several witnesses gave varying accounts, but some were clear that as the two offending vehicles were side by side at the 25th Avenue intersection there were gestures to each other that suggested they wanted to race.

Both Emery and Gould denied there were any such gestures.

The vehicles both then sped away, mostly side by side, until Field lost control, mounted the concrete median dividing the northbound and southbound lanes of Macleod Trail and then struck an oncoming Jeep SUV at 36th Avenue.

Emery, a passenger in Field’s vehicle, and McGill-Hoff, a passenger in the Jeep driven by her husband William Hoff, were seriously injured.

Gould had denied he was racing.

“This decision shows that even racing drivers who do not crash face the same liability as those who did crash,” Crown prosecutor Jonathan Hak said outside court.

“Drivers who engage in risky driving behaviour face criminal liability when things go wrong.”

McGill-Hoff suffered whiplash to her neck, bruising from the seatbelt, pooling blood in her chest and abdomen, injuries to her lower back, neck and right ankle, muscle and cartilage damage, torn right knee ligaments and a bruised right hand.

She required surgery and took 50 weeks of physiotherapy.

Emery sustained a wound on his forehead that required 35 stitches to close, a fracture to his right shoulder, bruises on his chest from the seatbelt, welts on his hips, a sprained right ankle and cuts on his right leg.

Field previously pleaded guilty to the same two charges and was sentenced to 90 days to be served on weekends, but the Alberta Court of Appeal recently elevated that to 15 months on a Crown appeal.

Semenuk ordered a pre-sentence report to be completed for sentencing arguments by Hak and defence lawyer Kim Ross on July 29.

Z_Fan
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Wait.

So if you win the race, you still go to jail?

:poosie:

derpderp
05-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by syeve
fact is about 5 people on this board have any real driver training beyond understeering their mom's Accord.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

btimbit
05-13-2011, 10:03 PM

My thoughts as well. What do you expect, it's the Sun.

I actually agree with Toma

Tik-Tok
09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
9 months jail time, 2 years driving prohibition afterwards.

The retard has also racked up 4 speeding tickets SINCE the accident :facepalm:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Calgary+spend+nine+months+jail+street+racing/5472223/story.html

theken
09-29-2011, 02:24 PM
He should never be allowed to drive again. And he should be made to serve the woman he injured for the rest of his shitty pathetic waste of skin life

2007RS4
09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Because Race Car.

J-hop
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM

1) I see it as an awesome solution. I street raced for 10+ years out in industrial areas of Calgary, or just out of town. Never even seen an accident... why? straight road, no traffic... no big deal. Many many smaller towns put on race events on closed roads, 100 footers, side by sides... There is no downside that I can see.

if you are referring to the "timmys meets" in the industrial park, accidents were not at all uncommon.... I never heard of any injury accidents in the industrial park though so i'll give you that...

after seeing the driving "skill" of 90% of the people that attended those get togethers I wouldn't say it was in any way safe. Could imagine it would take a while for an ambulance to get there as well if a bad one did occur.

Toma
09-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

if you are referring to the "timmys meets" in the industrial park, accidents were not at all uncommon.... I never heard of any injury accidents in the industrial park though so i'll give you that...

after seeing the driving "skill" of 90% of the people that attended those get togethers I wouldn't say it was in any way safe. Could imagine it would take a while for an ambulance to get there as well if a bad one did occur.
I'm 40. This was 10 to 20 years ago.

We would have bigger crowds than "Timmies", and meet to race, not drink coffee. We could easily fill the NE corner of Deerfoot mall and race right next to it for 2-3 hours a night. We raced there, or the "Dump Road" (when 52nd ended at the City dump by Race city), right on Southbound Deerfoot, on 61st Street SE, and sometimes on Garden Road (where my car actually caught on fire once lol).

There was NEVER a single accident. We raced quarter mile.

The accidents more recently always involved some idiot doing a top end run and running out of road, or the occasional ricer sideswiping another ricer (or even semi in one instance), when in a panic to get the fuck out when the cops showed up.

During an actual DRAG race, i still have never seen an accident, and I STILL go, but now only to drink coffee, shoot the shit, and watch.

There are quite a few small towns around Alberta now that hold annual 100 foot events, and 1/8th mile events on a closed public street.

It is NOT dangerous, and when organized, and legal, it's easy to send the losers that drive like idiots home.