PDA

View Full Version : GPS systems

spiceboy
11-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Nowadays, a lot of new cars come with a GPS system. I am just wondering that besides from the ~$3500 you are paying for the unit, what else will you have to pay for the service? I know there are always one or two DVDs that you have to purchase for all N. America maps. But is there any monthly or annual fee that you have to pay for the actual GPS service (so that your car is tracked by satellite)? How much would it be if there's such a fee?

Davetronz
11-21-2003, 01:13 AM
I know there is a subscription fee, I think its quite similar to the OnStar costs from GM... Not sure on an exact $$ amt though.

3g4me
12-01-2003, 05:29 PM
I heard its not even worth it right as they dont have accurate maps of calgary and most of alberta. Thats what gsl told me when i asked them about it for an escalade.

ryder_23
12-01-2003, 05:33 PM
doesnt rage or kenny have it? said it works pretty good in calgary.

3g4me
12-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Really? Damn gsl:guns:

FiveFreshFish
12-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by spiceboy
But is there any monthly or annual fee that you have to pay for the actual GPS service (so that your car is tracked by satellite)? How much would it be if there's such a fee?

There's no fee to use GPS because the GPS unit simply receives signals from the satellites. If you pay for anything, it's to get updated maps on CD or DVD.

You do have to pay for the OnStar system because you subscribe to its services such as remote door unlocking and automatic connection to an OnStar operator if your airbags go off.

HillBilly
12-01-2003, 07:32 PM
I would go for a Garmin Street Pilot (add it later). Garmin has the best maps available and street level detail of all of Canada. I work for a large surveying firm and Garmin is all we use for handheld and vehicle systems. Unless you want to spend $85,000 for a Trimble RTK system. Accuracy of 0.030m anywhere in the world.

spiceboy
12-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

There's no fee to use GPS because the GPS unit simply receives signals from the satellites. If you pay for anything, it's to get updated maps on CD or DVD.

You do have to pay for the OnStar system because you subscribe to its services such as remote door unlocking and automatic connection to an OnStar operator if your airbags go off.

Can I choose not to subscribe to the OnStar system? I mean I wouldn't really need those fancy services. All I want is the actual GPS thing...

FiveFreshFish
12-02-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by spiceboy

Can I choose not to subscribe to the OnStar system? I mean I wouldn't really need those fancy services. All I want is the actual GPS thing...

Depends on the car manufacturer.

For instance, Audi has the OnStar and the nav system as separate stand-alone options for the S4.

¹OnStar uses existing emergency service providers and cellular telephone and satellite technologies. Vehicle's electrical system must be operating for OnStar to work. One year OnStar (Safe & Sound Plan) service agreement included. Call 1-800-ONSTAR-7 or visit www.onstar.com for system limitations and details.