PDA

View Full Version : My Dealership Experience: Integrity Hyundai lethbridge (LONG BUT WORTH IT)

SteveG
11-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Email to Hyundai Canada Customer Relations Department

My Name is Steve Groenink and at the end of August I purchased a 2010 Genesis Coupe V6 GT w/navigation VIN#xxxxxxxxxx

Heres my experiences with the service department at my dealership

Day 1, Visit 1:

Did the Delivery inspection with the Salesperson (Terry) everything looked great. Later that day I noticed a chip in the powdercoat of my left rear Brembo brake caliper, I went back to the dealership and showed the sales manager. He tried to tell me that it could have happened while I was driving, as if a rock hit it (billion to one chance). I talked to the service dept who said the tech had found the chip during the PDI and had informed the sales dept of the problem (they never told me, tried to blame it one me)

Service Dept opened up a warranty claim but kept insisting it could be "repaired" even at my Insistance that powdercoat cannot be repaired that it must be completely re-done. I spoke with telephone customer relations who told me the dealership had authorization to repair the Powdercoat only at this time but the CR agent said he would look into it and call me back. Two weeks with no callback I went to the dealership and Percy (service manager) assured me they had a local bodyshop that would NOT paint the caliper but would indeed "repair" the powdercoat. I agreed for them to do the repair. They booked me in for the repair and arranged with the service dept to get me a loaner car for the day.

Dropped the car off and confirmed that the caliper would NOT be painted and that it would be re-powdercoated and that they'd call me that evening, 5pm comes around and no phone call. Next afternoon rolls around and low and behold the Brembo sticker is still intact and I can clearly see the outline where the chip was, in other words they used paint to fill in the chip. Service dept says sorry they can't do anything about it and close the repair order. I'm pissed this was a deficiency the dealership tried to hide from me during the Delivery inspection and in my eyes the car should have been flawless before it was delivered to me.

-Visit 2

2,000km oil change, no problems at all

-Visit 3

Called the dealership to ask about the rev-hang TSB that was released to solve a persistant issue where the ECU doesn’t let the engine rpm slow down between shifts. I provided the Canadian TSB number to the service person on the phone said she'd look into it and call me back. 5Hrs later I call her back (no callback TO me) and she says its an American TSB number and is only applicable if my car shows a CEL code. I re-iterate it is a Canadian TSB and it most definately doesn’t require a CEL code to be applied. She says sorry thats all she can do.

I drive to the dealership and Percy the service manager is visibly agitated with me at this point and I offer to help him find the TSB in his system. He says "I have it right here and it needs a CEL code" and shows me the printed out piece of paper, I politely point out that he is showing me a transmission TSB for the Genesis Sedan, he blows it off and looks at his computer again and I tell him the exact options to find it "Service bulletins->Engine control->Genesis COUPE" and its right there at the top of the list. He back peddled a little bit and said he'd book me in first thing in the morning but there is a date of manufacture restriction and my car may not fall into it, I say thats fine as long as they can physically check whether or not it applies to my car. Turns out it doesn’t apply to my car which is perfectly fine on my end and i'm satisfied that my car already has the latest version (not perfect but not as bad as others)

-Visit 4

Oil change at 8,000km

Drop the car off and tell them I'll wait and they tell me it should only take half an hour or so. An hour later Percy comes out front and wants to confirm with me that I don't need my tires rotated as he has noticed I am running winter tires. I kindly explain to him that you cannot rotate the tires on any Genesis coupe due to the staggered and directional tires and the effect it would have on the traction control system. Percy says “oh right but we can rotate left and right”....I say "no, the tires are directional" and he walks away.

I walk over to the shop viewing area in time to watch them putting my wheels back on the car (I only asked for an oil change, nothing else) with an impact gun and just sits there on each lug nut for 5+ seconds on each of the lug nuts. Yes he was using a torque stick except they are incredibly in-accurate and any tire shop knows they cause wheel stud failures and incorrectly torque’d wheels. I ask Percy to have the tech loosen and then re-torque by hand each lug-nut. He apologizes profusely and says sure no problem.

Then I ask him what weight and grade of oil they are running (knowing full well its supposed to be 5w40 full synthetic and there was a TSB stating this) he says 5w20 but will check with their "genesis coupe tech". The tech comes in and tells me they use either/or but they recommend using the 5w20 as the 5w40 is too thick for the winter....ummm WRONG they are both 5w oils in cold temperatures with the differences being at operating temps the 5w40 has a higher protection level (hence the 40 rating) than the 20.

I'm pretty much disgusted at this point but I have no-where else within 200km to have my car serviced but I feel helpless because I still have a few issues that need to be addressed on my car which I know there are either TSB’s already released or in-the works. I am the Administrator for www.gencoupe.ca which is an online forum dedicated to Canadian owners of Genesis coupes.

Steve Groenink

Who then forwarded this email to the dealership

Steve

SteveG
11-26-2009, 10:19 AM
General Manager of the Dealership emailed me today

Steve,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say "Thank-you" for the e-mail you sent to Hyundai Canada Customer Service in regards to your "disgust" of the service you received at Integrity Hyundai. We really appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our business practices and especially our customer service.

Our dealership receives hundreds of letters, e-mails, and phone calls each year from customers, and the overwhelming majority of those customers are extremely impressed with the customer service they have received in the Sales Department and the Service Department. In fact, Integrity Hyundai has received numerous awards and accolades from Hyundai Canada for our outstanding commitment to customer service.

Even though our dealership continues to be a proven leader in the area of customer service, we are very aware that we can improve, and more importantly we WANT to improve.

I was very impressed with your detailed recollection of events over the past 3 months and I would certainly agree that some of the statements you made are accurate and we will be addressing those in our next managers meeting. As I mentioned, we are continually striving to improve our business and the way we deal with customers and challenging situations. This obviously is one of those challenging situations that we will look at and dissect with the intent of preventing similar results.

It is obvious that we at Integrity Hyundai can not meet your expectations and expertise in regards to the 2010 Genesis Coupe. We completely recognize that your knowledge and commitment to this model line is unmatched and we certainly feel that we have no choice but to recommend that you consider servicing your vehicle at a dealership that can best facilitate your expectations and most importantly your expertise.

I would be more than willing to recommend a Hyundai dealership in southern Alberta and forward your service records to them at your request.

Thank-you once again for the time and effort it took to contact Hyundai Customer Service and please feel free to contact me in regards to this issue or anything.

xxxxx xxxxxx

General Manager

Integrity Hyundai

"We Promise - We Deliver...That's Integrity!

My Reply

xxxxxx,

Thank you for the reply, I know it can be difficult to hear complaints and respond with professionalism sometimes. I have friends that own new car dealerships and deal on a daily basis with similar situations and I know that sometimes the processes are broken and a lot of the time the people at the top of the management chain never hear about issues until they are too late.

If you have been made aware of these issues and have the intention of fixing the broken processes that caused my unsatisfactory experiences then I have acheived my goal.

The Genesis brand is supposed to be a brand that builds prestige for the Hyundai name and with the help of dealerships getting behind that idea, helps sales as well as helping existing owners with something that has plagued Hyundai owners for many years and that's resale value.

As for recommending another dealership to service my vehicle. If that was something I wished to happen then I would have purchased my car somewhere else. As long as I as an owner and a customer am treated with honesty and respect I have no problem having my vehicle serviced at your dealership.

Thank you for your time

Steve Groenink

His reply

Steve,

I appreciate your perspective but I don't think you understand my position in regards to this situation. First of all, I never have any problem responding to complaints in a professional manner. Unlike your friends who own car dealerships, we don't have situations like this on a daily basis, in fact we never have situations like this.

Secondly, if your "goal" was to assist us in fixing our processes, why would you not have contacted me directly, a person who can directly affect your issues? Instead, you chose to contact Hyundai Customer Service, who has very little, if any influence on our processes, especially considering we are an industry leader in Canada for customer service and Hyundai Canada knows this.

Lastly, your insinuation that we have not treated you with honesty and respect is exactly why I would strongly recommend you consider having your vehicle serviced at another dealership. I appreciate that you have no problem having your vehicle serviced at Integrity Hyundai, but your actions and comments has created the unfortunate reality where we can't say the same thing about you servicing your car at Integrity Hyundai.

If you have any more questions or concerns I suggest you come and see me in person.

xxxxx xxxxxx

General Manager

Integrity Hyundai

My Reply

xxxxxx,

I'm not sure if there continuing this conversation has any point but there are a couple additonal points I would like to make in closing.

As for the honesty portion;

-Your sales manager made the accusation of the chip on the brake caliper happened during me driving the vehicle when I later found out that service technician noticed the damage during the PDI and made the service department aware who in-turn told me they had told the service manager before the car was delivered to me.

-Percy assured me the caliper had been re-powdercoated even though on the service order it lists - correction=repainted

Regarding Hyundai canada

-Tamara and Percy were the ones who told me to contact Hyundai canada customer relations department if I was unhappy with the repair on my car and even provided me with the phone number to do so.

I'm not sure where I have become the bad guy in this situation. If at any time someone had pointed me in your direction I would have brought up the same concerns to you personally.

In closing I just want to remind you that the most effective way of advertising both good and bad experiences with a business is word of mouth.

Steve

SteveG
11-26-2009, 10:20 AM
And his reply

Steve,

Since you insist...

I am the Sales Manager as well as the General Manager and I am the one who mentioned to you that the caliper could have been chipped after delivery, and even if it were in your estimation a billion to one, it could have happened. The key word I used was "could".

Regardless, you are correct the caliper was chipped from the factory. That is not our fault. The dishonest thing to do would have been to send the car out to a paint shop and have them "touch-up" the caliper before you took delivery. You would never have know either way, but that is dishonest. Instead we did the honest thing and followed the process set by Hyundai Canada. It doesn't surprise me that there was confusion, as I am certain this is the first vehicle that Hyundai has ever made that had Bembro Calipers and they most likely had never seen this problem before and obviously weren't sure how to handle it...like us.

As far as calling Hyundai Canada, I find it hard to believe that a person who has "friends" who own car dealerships who deal with "similar situations on a daily basis" (see your quote)

"I have friends that own new car dealerships and deal on a daily basis with similar situations and I know that sometimes the processes are broken and a lot of the time the people at the top of the management chain never hear about issues until they are too late."

I find it difficult to believe that you thought it would be more effective to "achieve your goal" by calling a customer service line rather than speaking to an owner (like your friends), or general manager, or the sales manager. You have had no problem disagreeing with our Service Manager or Technicians, but when they suggest to call customer service, you thought that would be the most effective way to "achieve your goal". You stopped in at least 20 times prior to the car arriving and had no trouble talking to the Sales Manager/General Manager during that time, but when there is a situation that you feel has been handled incorrectly you need someone "to point you in my direction". WOW!

Lastly, thank-you for giving me advice on the "most effective" way of advertising. Now let me give you some advice...

Good business is based on building strong relationships and the key to building a strong relationship is based on mutual respect.

xxxxx xxxxx

General Manager

Integrity Hyundai

and my final reply

Where I talked about having friends who deal with similar situations on a daily basis I was referring to dealing with the breakdown in communication and or processes and striving to fix them and provide better customer service.

The repair to the caliper, j&s did "touch up" the paint and its been noted in the work order as such even though Percy assured me j&S re-powder coated it.

Steve

a social dsease
11-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Sounds to me like you're being pretty picky. Is a rock chip on the caliper really a big deal? It seems like you expect every single employee at the dealership to know every exact specification of your car (one that has just recently been released). I think they are performing reasonably and I'm not sure why you feel so slighted....

SteveG
11-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease
Sounds to me like you're being pretty picky. Is a rock chip on the caliper really a big deal? It seems like you expect every single employee at the dealership to know every exact specification of your car (one that has just recently been released). I think they are performing reasonably and I'm not sure why you feel so slighted....

At this point the caliper issue is being resolved but the reason i'm making a big deal about it is the dealership intentionally tried to hide it. Then Hyundai Canada authorized them to re-powdercoat the caliper (btw they're brembo's) and the dealership told me it was re-powder coated when in actuality it was PAINTED.

And yes I am being picky and if this was a $18k hyundai accent I wouldn't be making a big deal but this is a $40k Genesis Coupe.

My Biggest issue is the fact that because i emailed Hyundai Canada with my complaint the dealership has basically told me to f*ck off and my business isnt wanted. To me thats not customer service

FYI its the Dealership's JOB to know the repair specifications for these vehicles! I can see some random joe-blow shop not knowing and of course I would cut them some slack

Steve

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease

I would have to say he is not being picky. If I bought a brand new car, and it came with rock chips, damn right I would want that fixed, and fixed properly too.

Jlude
11-26-2009, 11:09 AM
If I bought a brand new car, I would expect it to be brand fucking new.

The chip in the caliper isn't the issue, the low down snake move they pulled, saying it would be repaired properly, knowing very well that the caliper would just be touched up is terrible.

The manager sounds like a jackass. You just blew 30-40k on a fucking Hyundai, where's the customer service? You should post this story on every car forum around, then send the links to the GM and Hyundai Canada. Also, send them the threads of past, where dealerships that have been slimey like them, have had a great deal of negative publicity.

R-Audi
11-26-2009, 11:11 AM
No offense.. but I think it sounds like you are being too picky as well.

Rock chip on a brake caliper?
To re-powdercoat them, they would need to be completely taken apart, and completely rebuilt. At least a few hours in labor plus whatever parts. All over a small rock chip? Come on.
I could see if its on the bumper/door etc.. but a brake caliper? THey are going to get chipped and beat anyways...

Like the guy said.. it sounds like you are better off going elsewhere.. I dont think I would want to deal with you either. You seem to really make a mountain out of a molehill here... even when you are wrong!

Jlude
11-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Before we say "rock chip"

How big was it? If it's your typical chip like on a front bumper, then yes, that's being petty, but if it's the size of a dime or something around that, then yes, I would expect that to be fully repaired.

He didn't pay for a Hyundai Genesis Coupe /Nav + 1 rock chip.

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Steve, people who have built cars from the ground up like yourself should not be buying new cars. You will never ever receive complete satisfaction because i guarantee you're more in the know than any of those techs at Hyundai. Jonny car buyer wouldn't notice the issues you are having and thats who 99% of new car buyers are. If you want perfection and mechanical aptitude then you're going to have to shoot higher than Hyundai bro. Porsche, Ferrari etc is where a person like you will be able to find satisfaction. Don't worry I'm sure you'll be getting rid of that car once the Ft-86 drops.

SteveG
11-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
No offense.. but I think it sounds like you are being too picky as well.

Rock chip on a brake caliper?
To re-powdercoat them, they would need to be completely taken apart, and completely rebuilt. At least a few hours in labor plus whatever parts. All over a small rock chip? Come on.
I could see if its on the bumper/door etc.. but a brake caliper? THey are going to get chipped and beat anyways...

Like the guy said.. it sounds like you are better off going elsewhere.. I dont think I would want to deal with you either. You seem to really make a mountain out of a molehill here... even when you are wrong!

Hyundai canada authorized them to have the caliper re-powder coated and repaired properly, that is not the issue they in turn had it touched up with paint then tried to tell me it was powdercoated, the work order even states that it was painted.

Like I said the caliper issue is being dealt with and the current issue is the attrocious customer service and responses by the general manager

Steve

5G_celica
11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I say you're being too picky.

and because of a rock chip on the caliper, you decide to to give the service staff a hard time. like chewing them out for putting 5w-20 in instead of 5w40, even thought they are both recommended oils for the car.

their fixing it for you the way you want... just let it be

FraserB
11-26-2009, 11:45 AM
You should probably edit the title for when this hits Google:D

a social dsease
11-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, it does suck to have a chip of any size anywhere on a new vehicle, and the manager could have been more professional in his final email, but I guess I just think you're overblowing things alot for the magnitude of the problem. Is the dealership being 100% perfect? Definitely not. Are they being absolutely awful and terrible? Not in my opinion.
There have been alot of crazy dealership related stories on this forum (eastside dodge for example) and I guess when I opened this thread i was expecting something really juicy. You know, like the tech spilled 2L of cola all over your dash, or the wheel fell off 2 mins after you drove away, or the manager explicity told you to fuck off. I read the whole thread just waiting for this to happen, but when i got to the end I was like "thats it?". It does suck to have this happen, and you have a right to be pissed, but I was just hoping for something more exciting, thats all.

Best of luck getting this resolved. Are you going to keep going back there? Are you satisfied with the performance of the actual vehicle itself so far?

5hift
11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Way too picky.

You obviously know cars, do you expect a bunch of grease monkeys changing tires for 10 bucks a hour to have the same understanding. You come off as arrogant. If you are so much more knowledgeable than these techs, then do the work yourself.

Going over the dealership`s head and complaining directly too cooperate right off the bat was about as big of a bitch move as one could make. I`m glad the GM didn't bite on your BS and told you to take a hike.

You are buying a Hyundai, yet seem to be expecting high end German quality. You remind me of the guy in the McDonald's lineup complaining about the food quality.

Xtrema
11-26-2009, 12:24 PM
To make you feel any better, I think BMW cost more and it's the same shitty service.

89s1
11-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Way too picky.

You obviously know cars, do you expect a bunch of grease monkeys changing tires for 10 bucks a hour to have the same understanding. You come off as arrogant. If you are so much more knowledgeable than these techs, then do the work yourself.

Going over the dealership`s head and complaining directly too cooperate right off the bat was about as big of a bitch move as one could make. I`m glad the GM didn't bite on your BS and told you to take a hike.

You are buying a Hyundai, yet seem to be expecting high end German quality. You remind me of the guy in the McDonald's lineup complaining about the food quality.

lol, the GM did tell him to take a hike. Everything so far sounds like business as usual at a car dealership.

When I worked at T&T Honda as a detailer, I was shocked at just how much more I knew about the vehicles than the techs as just an enthusiast.

max_boost
11-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Wasn't that bad......:dunno: :nut: but I don't expect perfection because I'm not paying the price for it.......

Rock chip on the rear caliper? Crazy. haha sorry man.

The dealer might as well hire you as the manager since you know more than all of them.

sneek
11-26-2009, 12:39 PM
hahahaha Honestly you are like me...way too picky.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_0366-1.jpg

Magnified rock chip that was on my car when I received it. It happens to be the only chip on my car. probs 1MM by 3MM....just let it slide

bituerbo
11-26-2009, 12:46 PM
You're being too picky. Your issues were dealth with, in a pretty efficient manner. Try bringing a car back to GoFC with a rock-chip on the caliper. You'd be laughed out of their used car lot. The manager responded to all concerns you had and in a pretty professional manner. If you know a better way to run a dealership, then prove us all wrong and do it. The fact that he took your 'complaints' personally also shows that he's passionate about his business. Seriously, service your own vehicle if you're that picky.

+1 for Integrity Hyundai Lethbridge.

The_Rural_Juror
11-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
If you want perfection and mechanical aptitude then you're going to have to shoot higher than Hyundai bro. Porsche, Ferrari etc is where a person like you will be able to find satisfaction.

Exactly.

Sounds like you got a GM who really cares about his business enough to write you a few letters.

Personally, I think that you are one of those customers that the dealership should "fire". The hassle to deal with you is not worth the profits they earn from you.

A rock chip on the caliper? Come on, have you driven in the winter around here? You should 3M your car if you are that concerned about a chip in an inconspicuous spot.

nobb
11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Yup, I also think you are being too picky and expecting too much. If there was a rock chip on a more noticeable part on the car like on the body, then yea I see this as being a valid concern. But a brake caliper!!??? Comeon, you are going to have rock and shit hitting that area in the future anyways. Just spray paint it and get over it. I think the guys at Hyundai handled this situation perfectly.

SteveG
11-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Yup, I also think you are being too picky and expecting too much. If there was a rock chip on a more noticeable part on the car like on the body, then yea I see this as being a valid concern. But a brake caliper!!??? Comeon, you are going to have rock and shit hitting that area in the future anyways. Just spray paint it and get over it. I think the guys at Hyundai handled this situation perfectly.

the chip was 1cmx3cm

The issue wasnt the chip itself, it was that i was assured it would be repaired properly and re-powdercoated and that it HAD been done that way, yet its clearly painted and documented as such.

The only thing I expected when i emailed Hyundai canada was for them to either fix the caliper properly or replace it, and make sure the tech's had the proper service information to correctly service their own vehicles.

Thats all i wanted until I was told in no uncertain terms that if i didnt like the service i was receiving to take my business elsewhere.

As for the car itself I love it and have no major complaints about it at all.

Steve

SteveG
11-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, I've talked to the Service manager who was apologetic and wants to make things right and doesnt want to lose me as a customer. Which to be honest was the reaction I was looking for an expecting, NOT to be told to take my business elsewhere

Steve

Sebasshole
11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I think the fair thing to do would be.
You take the caliper apart.
You give it to them to be recoated.
and you put it back together and pay for the parts required
in doing this.
Then you have a mint caliper.
THEN YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN EVERY WEEK THIS WINTER WHEN THE OTHER CALIPERS HAVE ROCK CHIPS, SALT STAINS, BRAKE DUST........

Problem solved. I feel sorry for the people at integrity having to deal with you.

Rage2 should make a thread about alittle orange peal on his c63.
Maybe he can get his car repainted and re wrapped in vynal.

The_Rural_Juror
11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Any photos of the chip?

SteveG
11-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Any photos of the chip?

I don't have any pre-repair but hyundai canada has them from during the PDI before the car was delivered to me

Steve

Lex350
11-26-2009, 01:57 PM
If you think that service is bad...try Mazda. But really a chip in the brake caliper. You bought a Hyundai not a Bentley.

Mazstyle
Read it - this post is clearly NOT "worth it" you're being way to picky.

:whocares:

Sebasshole
That helps.

The_Rural_Juror
11-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Sebasshole
That helps.

This helps.

Tomaz
11-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Steve,

I only can go off of your e-mails between the GM and yourself and must say that the professionalism and documentation of information was very admirable. Very clear and concise, presenting your concerns perfectly.

Now, judging by your e-mails, I would be 100% on your side. A tech not knowing about the staggered/directional tires is just bad news. Having the wheels switched causes great instability and can also can set off Traction Control warnings (as this has happened to my friend).

The techs doing the oil changes need to re-take is also alarming. I wouldn't stand for ignorance like that either.

The caliper being chipped can be a concern is an aesthetic thing and would be happy having the dealership fix it in any means possible. Granted that they did say redo the powder-coat and you got something else. It was probably an internal decision that should have no effect on the quality and integrity of the product.

You followed the correct process in submitting a claim and are being "punished" for it. Doesn't seem right. They are supposed to discuss the issues, apologize for the inconvenience, and get technician's heads out of their asses.

Again, I only can come to conclusions with the evidence you have presented. If you act the same as you type, I think you are in the right and should just build a strong relationship with the service manager.

Good luck in your future services with Hyundai. :thumbsup:

Jlude
11-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Steve,

I only can go off of your e-mails between the GM and yourself and must say that the professionalism and documentation of information was very admirable. Very clear and concise, presenting your concerns perfectly.

Now, judging by your e-mails, I would be 100% on your side. A tech not knowing about the staggered/directional tires is just bad news. Having the wheels switched causes great instability and can also can set off Traction Control warnings (as this has happened to my friend).

The techs doing the oil changes need to re-take is also alarming. I wouldn't stand for ignorance like that either.

The caliper being chipped can be a concern is an aesthetic thing and would be happy having the dealership fix it in any means possible. Granted that they did say redo the powder-coat and you got something else. It was probably an internal decision that should have no effect on the quality and integrity of the product.

You followed the correct process in submitting a claim and are being "punished" for it. Doesn't seem right. They are supposed to discuss the issues, apologize for the inconvenience, and get technician's heads out of their asses.

Again, I only can come to conclusions with the evidence you have presented. If you act the same as you type, I think you are in the right and should just build a strong relationship with the service manager.

You're my hero Tomaz... I admire you. Mainly because you'e so admirable and this post was admirable. Even your punctuation was admirable.

The_Rural_Juror
11-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Tomaz is an admiral?

Danny Meehan
11-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
You are buying a Hyundai, yet seem to be expecting high end German quality.
Many have been treated / heard of similar stories from local ... let's say, BMW dealers.
You are wrong.

SteveG
11-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Steve,

Thank you for your excellent feedback tomaz, a few people have stated that if i was expecting perfection i should have purchased a different brand of vehicle. That is not the issue, no where in my post have i called into question the build quality or engineering of my car, only the quality of SERVICE I have received on said car. Doesnt matter if its a ferrari, BMW, or a KIA good customer service is the same

Steve

max_boost
11-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

You're my hero Tomaz... I admire you. Mainly because you'e so admirable and this post was admirable. Even your punctuation was admirable. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TomcoPDR
11-26-2009, 06:20 PM
If Hyundai Canada authroize the re-powercoating, like someone's mentioned, Steve (OP) you should take the caliber off and bring it to a powercoat place and reinstall. Then send Hyundai Canada the invoice (well, what I would do is for them to authorize a work order number first right)

Cuz you know what's gonna happen, most (key word most) dealerships won't have powercoating equipment.

Which means that the dealership would be outsourcing your powercoat anyways... and that their techs (the ones that was going to flip your directional tires left-right) is going to be working on your brake system, what if they switch your pads (inner-outer) during the re-install.

2EFNFAST
11-26-2009, 06:35 PM
I have to agree - you're being too picky.

Is the dealership a clueless jackass - yes! however, most are.

Rock chip on the calipers - Who cares - you'll get more, trust me (I've got several on my Wilwoods; it isn't a 1,000,000-1 chance).

Oil - you should be changing your own oil....it doesn't matter if it's part of a free service package, you sound like you have some mechanical knowledge and should know you never let a monkey do anything you cna do yourself

TSB - Every dealership is like this (clueless with TSBs); I gave up for an ECU one relating to my g35

Tires - once again, unless you're watching them any shop will try to sneak in the use of an impact gun to save time.

I know your frustration - been there done that myself several times - but even if it's a brand new car, you have to realize that if YOU can do the job, YOU will do a 100x better job than they will.

scat19
11-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
To make you feel any better, I think BMW cost more and it's the same shitty service.

Don't get me started. When the e46(99-06 3'er) was current, I knew more about it than the service guy, sales guy, and parts guy put together. Showing them how to use their own TIS (catalog of parts) drove me up the wall.

To these people it's a job, not a passion. Go to a great INDY who loves the cars, independant parts dealers who love the cars, all of whom have experience and advice.

Edit - 2fast makes great points ^.

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by SteveG

Thank you for your excellent feedback tomaz, a few people have stated that if i was expecting perfection i should have purchased a different brand of vehicle. That is not the issue, no where in my post have i called into question the build quality or engineering of my car, only the quality of SERVICE I have received on said car. Doesnt matter if its a ferrari, BMW, or a KIA good customer service is the same

Steve
You're not wrong to want good customer service, but your expectations are much higher than the average Jonny car buyer and that's exactly who Hyundain, Toyota, Chev, Nissan etc cater to. Being so informed can be a blessing and a curse. That's one of the reasons why I work on my own car.. you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Scat hit the nail on the head, it's a job and not a passion to these people. The passion doesn't start to show until you get to a level of car that people are passionate about.

RickDaTuner
11-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Find out who the best Tech at that dealership is, then only have your car serviced by him/her.

While Alberta strives to certify Quality Techs, the industry kinda keeps those kinds of people at bay, mainly because others see them as threats, and no old man who's been making the same mistake for the last 10-20-30 years wants a "owner" telling him how to do his Job.

Blue collar jobs suck in that sense, This wouldn't be the case in countries like Japan though, or Italy.

FWIW all your points are valid to me. Even though some are perceiving you are being too picky, The fact of the mater is; All cars were engineered and not slapped together by a monkey hoping that it would stay together for the warranty term.
Everything about a car and its service has a process, procedures are drawn up from failure testing, every nut and bolt is assembled with percision and not left up to chance.

I lost a Job because of this once, My standards of work were much higher than my co-worker who had considerable age on me. My desire for proper work was conveyed as a nuisance and a threat, soon after I was dismissed. LOL

Its good to see people trying to keep a dealerships integrity, also good for you in trying to get what you deserve.

People bring their cars to the dealership to get things done properly, and not half assed.
If They wanted mediocre service then they would've just taken their car to uncle Bill in his home garage repair shop, where a Saskatchewan all sixteenths and a hammer is the solution to everything.

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Find out who the best Tech at that dealership is, then only have your car serviced by him/her.

While Alberta strives to certify Quality Techs, the industry kinda keeps those kinds of people at bay, mainly because others see them as threats, and no old man who's been making the same mistake for the last 10-20-30 years wants a "owner" telling him how to do his Job.

Blue collar jobs suck in that sense, This wouldn't be the case in countries like Japan though, or Italy.

FWIW all your points are valid to me. Even though some are perceiving you are being too picky, The fact of the mater is; All cars were engineered and not slapped together by a monkey hoping that it would stay together for the warranty term.
Everything about a car and its service has a process, procedures are drawn up from failure testing, every nut and bolt is assembled with percision and not left up to chance.

I lost a Job because of this once, My standards of work were much higher than my co-worker who had considerable age on me. My desire for proper work was conveyed as a nuisance and a threat, soon after I was dismissed. LOL

Its good to see people trying to keep a dealerships integrity, also good for you in trying to get what you deserve.

People bring their cars to the dealership to get things done properly, and not half assed.
If They wanted mediocre service then they would've just taken their car to uncle Bill in his home garage repair shop, where a Saskatchewan all sixteenths and a hammer is the solution to everything.
Great post... I wish this was the reality. So tough to find good techs.

GTS4tw
11-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I have to agree - you're being too picky.

Is the dealership a clueless jackass - yes! however, most are.

Rock chip on the calipers - Who cares - you'll get more, trust me (I've got several on my Wilwoods; it isn't a 1,000,000-1 chance).

Oil - you should be changing your own oil....it doesn't matter if it's part of a free service package, you sound like you have some mechanical knowledge and should know you never let a monkey do anything you cna do yourself

TSB - Every dealership is like this (clueless with TSBs); I gave up for an ECU one relating to my g35

Tires - once again, unless you're watching them any shop will try to sneak in the use of an impact gun to save time.

I know your frustration - been there done that myself several times - but even if it's a brand new car, you have to realize that if YOU can do the job, YOU will do a 100x better job than they will.

Did you actually read the OP? He isn't concerned about the friggen rock chip, I don't know why people keep calling him petty, I'm sure his problem is the fact that they are liars. They told him it was powder coated when it was painted, sure maybe they didn't know, but then they should have said "I dont know, Ill check" it doesn't seem that difficult.

Tires - he specified that he didn't want them done in the first place, it isnt just the use of the impact gun, its horrible customer service.

Oil - I'm sure most people can change their own oil, some just prefer that the experts that supposedly do this all day long do it. Also, some peoples time is worth a lot more than the cost of an oil change.

I can see why customer service is virtually non-existent these days with the attitude of most people posting on here. Sure, its not the end of the world, but I sure as hell wouldn't give that dealership a nickel, and I'm sure a lot of people will read about this and agree. The simple fact is that all the dealership had to do was not be shady liars and this post wouldn't even exist.

I don't think that you are being too picky, as long as you had been willing to accept the painted caliper if they had told you the truth.

Mr_ET
11-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Honestly anyone going into a dealership and being overly picky about anything will get treated like this by the Service and Managers.

The reality is that a car will never be truly perfect. Anyone who is mecanically inclined such as yourself will never be satisfied with the work being done by another on your car.

The fact that you were way too picky probably pre disposed them to not want to help you with anything regardless of the validity going forward.

Imagine the profit made on the sale of your car and the amount of time you have made all these dealership folks spend on your situation and you start to see that the profit margin isn't really there and they probably wish they had never sold you the car.

No offense but you have to have realisitc expectations and very minor flaws will be present when a car has been transported from thousands of kms away to get to the delivery point.

In the end as a customer if you want good service you have to be realistic and you have to give a little and take a little, if the relationship is not that way you get red circled and you can expect poor service going forward.

7thgenvic
11-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Steve, people who have built cars from the ground up like yourself should not be buying new cars. You will never ever receive complete satisfaction because i guarantee you're more in the know than any of those techs at Hyundai. Jonny car buyer wouldn't notice the issues you are having and thats who 99% of new car buyers are. If you want perfection and mechanical aptitude then you're going to have to shoot higher than Hyundai bro. Porsche, Ferrari etc is where a person like you will be able to find satisfaction. Don't worry I'm sure you'll be getting rid of that car once the Ft-86 drops.

yes Jonny car buyer wouldn't notice...He wants to drive breezies around..

I think your being too picky....A car is meant to be driven...Your like my brother. He cried with the first door ding on his STI. She happens.... You can't cry over a chip on the caliper...EVEN THOUGH IT"S A BREMBO...

badatusrnames
11-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Long, not really worth it.

schocker
11-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Dick move on the dealers part there. Sounds kind of incompetent and rude towards someone who bought a pretty expensive Hyundai. When I went to go look at a genesis at crowfoot Hyundai and I got cussed out their manager was very apologetic.

w_man
11-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I think OP has mentioned it repeatedly that the issue isn't about the rock chip ... heck I don't even think it's about the fact that Hyundai 'certified' mechanics don't know what they are doing .. or as someone said .. don't have the same 'passion' as OP does towards his car.

The issue is that as a customer, I don't care if they are passionate about their job ... their career choice is their problem and directly the problem of the employer. In this case, it's quite clear that even the employer himself isn't passionate about his job thus it clearly trickles down to his employees. I guess I am a tad more 'sensitive' about this issue as I had nothing but troubles at Infiniti when I purchased the new G35 in 2007 and just like this scenario, they had no clue how to service the model.

The worst part is the GM's response. He is clearly ticked that OP decided to go through Hyundai Canada's customer service instead of discussing the issue with him. THIS is my biggest issue and shows nothing but unprofessional attitude on his part. Hyundai Canada has a customer service line for a reason. OP has the RIGHT to go to Hyundai Canada since he was receiving poor service. It's unfortunate Hyundai Canada didn't contact OP and be the 'middle man' in this scenario .. instead they just forwarded the email to the GM.

The correct response in my point of view would be to acknowledge the issue (which I THINK he did - sort of) .. mention that he will be making sure all the correct steps are taken with attention to detail (which again I THINK he did) .. and then tell OP that he is LOOKING FORWARD TO RETAINING HIS BUSINESS ... instead of telling him that he's pissed off that the OP went over his head to Hyundai Canada and because of that he's not interested in his business.

If you have a problem with a new model you can't support - OK ... if you have people working for you who aren't passionate about their job - OK ... but customer service is an easy thing ... as the OP said .. I think he was simply looking for an apology and for Hyundai to say .. we will do better next time. Instead he got a big FUCK YOU and GO SOMEWHERE else!! that's unacceptable.

For everyone here who's saying that he shouldn't be this picky and that he should have lower expectations - I personally disagree. I don't think we should lower our standards as consumers because dealerships aren't up to the challenge. I think by agreeing to this level of poor service, we are simply promoting it. I do agree that 'it is what it is' applies here as I have yet to meet ONE dealership service department who is truly honest and have people working there who actually give a shit about their job. But simply because 'it is what it is', we shouldn't accept this poor service. Maybe if enough people are unhappy .. SOMEONE (someday) will find an opportunity and start up a dealership where the service department is the highlight.

Until this happens, we have no choice in putting up with this type of poor service but we don't have to accept it.

TomcoPDR
11-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by w_man
Maybe if enough people are unhappy .. SOMEONE (someday) will find an opportunity and start up a dealership where the service department is the highlight.

Don't really have to start a dealership. Why not get a job as a service advisor and demostrate the skills required to deal with people on a daily bases. With a little bit of mixed concerns from all walks of life.

You can't FORCE someone into giving you service you want, why not force YOURSELF not to purchase or use them then?

SteveG
11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I think OP has mentioned it repeatedly that the issue isn't about the rock chip ... heck I don't even think it's about the fact that Hyundai 'certified' mechanics don't know what they are doing .. or as someone said .. don't have the same 'passion' as OP does towards his car.

The issue is that as a customer, I don't care if they are passionate about their job ... their career choice is their problem and directly the problem of the employer. In this case, it's quite clear that even the employer himself isn't passionate about his job thus it clearly trickles down to his employees. I guess I am a tad more 'sensitive' about this issue as I had nothing but troubles at Infiniti when I purchased the new G35 in 2007 and just like this scenario, they had no clue how to service the model.

The worst part is the GM's response. He is clearly ticked that OP decided to go through Hyundai Canada's customer service instead of discussing the issue with him. THIS is my biggest issue and shows nothing but unprofessional attitude on his part. Hyundai Canada has a customer service line for a reason. OP has the RIGHT to go to Hyundai Canada since he was receiving poor service. It's unfortunate Hyundai Canada didn't contact OP and be the 'middle man' in this scenario .. instead they just forwarded the email to the GM.

The correct response in my point of view would be to acknowledge the issue (which I THINK he did - sort of) .. mention that he will be making sure all the correct steps are taken with attention to detail (which again I THINK he did) .. and then tell OP that he is LOOKING FORWARD TO RETAINING HIS BUSINESS ... instead of telling him that he's pissed off that the OP went over his head to Hyundai Canada and because of that he's not interested in his business.

If you have a problem with a new model you can't support - OK ... if you have people working for you who aren't passionate about their job - OK ... but customer service is an easy thing ... as the OP said .. I think he was simply looking for an apology and for Hyundai to say .. we will do better next time. Instead he got a big FUCK YOU and GO SOMEWHERE else!! that's unacceptable.

For everyone here who's saying that he shouldn't be this picky and that he should have lower expectations - I personally disagree. I don't think we should lower our standards as consumers because dealerships aren't up to the challenge. I think by agreeing to this level of poor service, we are simply promoting it. I do agree that 'it is what it is' applies here as I have yet to meet ONE dealership service department who is truly honest and have people working there who actually give a shit about their job. But simply because 'it is what it is', we shouldn't accept this poor service. Maybe if enough people are unhappy .. SOMEONE (someday) will find an opportunity and start up a dealership where the service department is the highlight.

Until this happens, we have no choice in putting up with this type of poor service but we don't have to accept it.

EXACTLY, someone who understands my point of view on all aspects on this!

steve

w_man
11-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Don't really have to start a dealership. Why not get a job as a service advisor and demostrate the skills required to deal with people on a daily bases. With a little bit of mixed concerns from all walks of life.

You can't FORCE someone into giving you service you want, why not force YOURSELF not to purchase or use them then?

I absolutely agree. Which is why I don't mind threads like these .. If I know of a dealership's practice .. I will try my best to avoid it.

Service to me is important .. unless I am forced to go to a dealership (eg: the only Infiniti dealership in town and if I had any warranty related work), I will not go to them if they provide a poor service.

lol .. my wife has a problem with me 'cutting' all the different businesses who provide shitty service .. I refuse to give them business!! sadly it's also a fact that in Calgary I'm running out of places to go.

el_fefes
11-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Man some people here have no idea what good customer service is about.

If the GM was really passionate about his business he would not have replied in that manner. Very unprofessional.

+ It costs 5 times more to get a new client than to keep an existing one.

Redlyne_mr2
11-27-2009, 08:52 AM
. Maybe if enough people are unhappy .. SOMEONE (someday) will find an opportunity and start up a dealership where the service department is the highlight.

It's called Lexus. :D

Boost Infested
11-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Come down to Precision Hyundai here if you don't mind driving to Calgary for your services. I can recommend a couple good techs.

Jlude
11-27-2009, 10:04 AM

shameless plug :rofl: :rofl:

w_man
11-27-2009, 10:04 AM

lol ... you know ... I guess that is the one manufacturer which I haven't heard bad things about. Nothing super serious anyways.

Whenever I see an IS350 rolling down the street .. I almost regret sticking with the BMW.

Lex350
11-27-2009, 10:15 AM

can't argue that..........so far:D

BrianLaarvs
11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
If i were the GM I would suck it up, give you a loaner and have it fixed properly.

Whatever happened to just sucking it up and making things right. In a persons lifetime they can spend hundreds of thousands on new vehicles and service at a dealership. I guess they don't realize that....:confused:

+1 for OP

heavyD
11-27-2009, 12:00 PM

Great post... I wish this was the reality. So tough to find good techs.

Why do techs these days take so little pride in their work? Regardless of the brand every time work gets done at a dealer it's always the same thing. Valver cover bolts only hand torqued, intercooler pipes not tightened, fasteners not replaced, oil spilled on your valve cover, parts not reinstalled properly, scratching of paint on fenders or bumper skirts, oil stains on your floormats, etc. I realize that they work on hundreds of cars and a car is just a car to them but people invest thousands of dollars when they purchase new cars and it seems like no matter what dealer (haven't dealt with Lexus ;) ) you go to you can get a tech that simply doesn't give a shit about your car and wants to get the work done as fast as possible so he can get to the next work order.

Redlyne_mr2
11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Why do techs these days take so little pride in their work? Regardless of the brand every time work gets done at a dealer it's always the same thing. Valver cover bolts only hand torqued, intercooler pipes not tightened, fasteners not replaced, oil spilled on your valve cover, parts not reinstalled properly, scratching of paint on fenders or bumper skirts, oil stains on your floormats, etc. I realize that they work on hundreds of cars and a car is just a car to them but people invest thousands of dollars when they purchase new cars and it seems like no matter what dealer (haven't dealt with Lexus ;) ) you go to you can get a tech that simply doesn't give a shit about your car and wants to get the work done as fast as possible so he can get to the next work order.
A lot of the fault in the downfall of techs is because of their service managers. The shitty service managers are the ones who cut costs, undertrain and over pressure their techs. Because techs are flat rate most of them will rush through a job just to get it done quickly and get paid. It's up to the service manager to make sure their techs are happy and to reward them based on performance and skill rather than on how many o2 sensors and alternators they can change in a day.
A good service manager will also know how to manipulate the system by getting grey area repairs covered under warranty. In Steve's situation Hyundai Canada would not pay for a new caliper as they do not deem a rock chip to be a warranty issue. A more skilled and seasoned service manager would know a way around this and know how to work the system to get the caliper covered under warranty.

BokCh0y
11-27-2009, 12:14 PM

This is true.

mr.13secprobe
11-28-2009, 01:51 AM
I found most dealerships the nicest when I buy cars and the worst when I get my cars serviced.

igotacookie
11-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Insane amount of hassle over a rock chip. I would have let this one slide... but hey its your time OP