PDA

View Full Version : Behavioural based interviews.

spikerS
11-26-2009, 02:50 PM
First off, I want to say how much I hate them. It really irks me that the perfect candidate for a job can be passed over because of these interviews, when they have ample experience and qualifications for a job.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for these types of interviews? How do you approach them? What to talk about, and what to steer clear from?

Any people in HR or in Hiring positions that use these types of interviews able to provide some input?

Crymson
11-26-2009, 04:51 PM
They key to nailing beharioural based interviews is to have a few canned responses for the most likely situations asked, but more importantly, to be able to turn it into a flowing conversation with the interviewers.

If the interview feels disjointed, the questions are asked and answered methodically -- things are not going well.

Just be loose with it -- it will show that you have people skills and charisma.

snoop101
11-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Thats what I was going to say. If you sit there like a robot and just answer questions and theres silence in between its not going to go well.

I do like these interviews and at the same time I dont. The good side is the fact that you might know your stuff from a text book, but not know how to apply it and have bad people or management skills. The bad side of it is that usually the person who is doing the interview has no idea what there interviewing you for and there just reading off of a paper.

I had one of these at a recruiter and I asked if she understood what I was talking about and both her and the lady she was training said they had no idea. They were asking some pretty dumb questions and I actually stopped them around 75% through and said I wasent interested in working with them and walked out. I contract in IT though so its a bit different.

Seanith
11-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I just searched some out online and filled them out based on my experience. When you know the structure of how you're supposed to answer its not bad. SAR (Situation, action, response). Just make yourself look like an allstar.

Ajay
11-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I like these types of interviews as it allows to you further elaborate on points you may not have a chance to if you were just going in for an interview that wanted to know just your qualifications or education.

You can build more of a rapport and get a better feel of how the interview is going by how the interviewer is responding to your answers.

Ebon
11-26-2009, 06:48 PM
the 3 pronged approach with SAR is good. Be sure you got some examples. Also, be interesting, no one wants to work with someone who can't even hold a conversation (especially, when all your doing in an interview is talking about yourself).

Davetronz
11-27-2009, 10:03 PM
We do these where I work but it's more of a "fit" type interview. A few potential coworkers and people from other groups you might interact with will have a 30-45 minute casual talk with you to get a feel for what you are like and if you'd fit in well with the work atmosphere/culture.

It's a great time for the person interviewing for a job to get to know their potential teammates and ask some questions that you might not feel "comfortable" or "right" asking the hiring manager or HR person.

It also gives the team a good chance to assess the candidate through casual conversation (usually no questions about their resume or qualifications) and see if the person is being truthful in their application. We've found some people who look great on paper and to the hiring manager, but can't hold a conversation about the type of work they claim to have done in the past or pertaining to the position they're currently applying to.

lilmira
11-27-2009, 10:27 PM
You can have all the qualification and experience in the world but if you are a total jackass that no one wants to work with, you are no good to the company.

Just be honest, be yourself and be prepared to answer technical questions related to the position, you should be fine. Don't get too nervous if you can't answer any questions. It's better to be honest and say you don't know than to make up shit that is so obviously wrong.

revelations
11-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by spikers
It really irks me that the perfect candidate for a job can be passed over because of these interviews, when they have ample experience and qualifications for a job.

Humans arent robots, we have to work and live with other people every day. A job is so much more than qualifications or experience.

If a person has poor human interaction ability, then why hire a person for a position that requires it?