PDA

View Full Version : bad xmas gifts

jwslam
11-26-2009, 06:54 PM
k so i did a quick search and didn't find anything

ANYWHOO
i was walking through the mall when i saw that they were selling snuggies
and it made me think
if somebody bought me that would i actually use it? i guess i'll know if and when it happens

but the point is,
(a)what bad gifts have you gotten that you've never used or intend on using?
(b)do you think about that when you gift?

i'll start. several of my previous gifts sucked shit because they were extremely spontaneous buys and now that i think about it they're a complete waste of money and i know the receiver will never use it again after once. that makes this year's shopping extremely difficult because now i'm putting TOO much thought in.

one gift i got on my past bday was a 'digicam' i swear is intended for like 5 year olds (300,000pixel, no screen, probably cost 10 bucks) and it's something i would never open nor use

Stealth13
11-26-2009, 07:06 PM
socks, who needs em?

DJ_NAV
11-26-2009, 07:07 PM
A flask? who actually caries one around?

Stealth13
11-26-2009, 07:09 PM
who doesn't caryies one around?

swak
11-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Stealth13
socks, who needs em?

everyone needs socks.

... but honestly, i cant say i have gotten a bad gift before, maybe a shirt or something that isnt my style, but i make use of everything i have/get really.

I am pretty easy going.

wintonyk
11-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Haha I have a gift from 4 years ago sitting in the box behind my head board. Its a cork board with picture frames my Aunt gave me before i went to university.

Last year I received an electric razor. I am more a clean shave kinda guy and don't mind the extra time, so I returned that pretty quick.

Socks are a solid go to, the dryer eats all mine so i never complain, of course if they are old school tube socks maybe.

I don't think I have ever given shitty gifts. Although this is quite possible because I don't usually put much thought into the practicality of gifts.

Stealth13
11-26-2009, 07:20 PM
books are useless as well, they end up just sitting somewhere taking up space

Isaiah
11-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Agendas. Who doesn't have a blackberry/smartphone or other way to keep track of their schedule?

5hift
11-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Not really a bad gift, just more of what the fuck are you thinking.

I remember back when I was a kid my aunt got me a horrible Colorado Avalanche t-shirt for Xmas. The next Xmas she got me the exact same Colorado Avalanche T-Shirt, except it was a different color.

swak
11-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Not really a bad gift, just more of what the fuck are you thinking.

I remember back when I was a kid my aunt got me a horrible Colorado Avalanche t-shirt for Xmas. The next Xmas she got me the exact same Colorado Avalanche T-Shirt, except it was a different color.

ahahahaha... are you a Colorado fan???

:goflames:

5hift
11-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by swak

not at all

inline6turbo
11-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I got a used calendar. Where the days that had stuff previously written on were whited out.

Yes it came wrapped too.

I win.

jwslam
11-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by swak

Originally posted by 5hift

not at all
i guess it was a conversion effort.

and inline: WOW
djnav: that's a great gift only when it comes filled. free refills should also be asked for

Boat
11-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I got a dominoes set from my aunt about two years ago. :banghead:

Stealth13
11-26-2009, 08:14 PM
lol dominoes you use once and then get bored. I would rather it be a dominoes pizza

signature7
11-26-2009, 08:26 PM
An oversize simple calculator. Buttons were massive on that thing.

HiTempguy1
11-26-2009, 08:41 PM
lol dominoes you use once and then get bored. I would rather it be a dominoes pizza

If I woke up Christmas morning to a fresh hot pizza from (Panago/Pizza 73/Domino's etc), I'd kiss whoever got it for me! That'd be a wicked christmas present!

Rat Fink
11-26-2009, 08:51 PM

xmattx8
11-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Clothes. Chances are you dont know what I like.

jwslam
11-26-2009, 08:58 PM
oh this one i totally forgot about
candles
acutally i think it was a tea light lamp
WTF is that about!
i was 16
i bet that was a regift.

speedog
11-26-2009, 09:12 PM
books are useless as well, they end up just sitting somewhere taking up space Don't ya read them while yer on the throne?

TDFTW
11-26-2009, 10:26 PM
My absolute worst presents were from my aunt.

A used calgary flames tshirt from the thrift store.
A half used stick of deoderant with armpit hair still stuck in it.
A toothbrush with frayed bristles put back into the package and glued back together. Still had a chunk of food in it.
Pack of socks, which were obviously used, because they smelled worse than my own feet after a days work in steel toe boots.

:barf: i win

nykz
11-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW

A toothbrush with frayed bristles put back into the package and glued back together. Still had a chunk of food in it.
Pack of socks, which were obviously used, because they smelled worse than my own feet after a days work in steel toe boots.

That is disgusting... Can't get much worse than this :barf:

maxomilll
11-26-2009, 10:34 PM

thats just offensive, id rather not be given any of that, then anything at all.

jwslam
11-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW My absolute worst presents were from my aunt.

it takes 37 muscles to frown
or you could use 22 to smile after you use 4 to bitchslap her.

sevewone
11-26-2009, 10:53 PM
I got an Ed Hardy shirt from Italy from my rents, I actually had to pretend I liked it. Fuck that was hard.

abyss
11-26-2009, 11:20 PM
We did a secret Santa one year at my work. The guy who picked my name bought me a box of chocolates and a dildo. The card said "Merry Christmas, if you don't like the chocolates you can go fuck yourself."

Come to think of it though...it was actually a pretty good present! :poosie: After that year they changed the policy and we no longer had secret Santa anymore at work.

KKY
11-27-2009, 12:02 AM
I always get caps, toques, over size t-shirts, sweat shirts, accessories, etc that I'll never wear.

97'Scort
11-27-2009, 12:16 AM
My ex-gf gave me a bag of coal (wrapped) then broke up with me over the phone when I called.

Win.

jwslam
11-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by abyss
We did a secret Santa one year at my work. The guy who picked my name bought me a box of chocolates and a dildo. The card said "Merry Christmas, if you don't like the chocolates you can go fuck yourself."

Come to think of it though...it was actually a pretty good present! :poosie: After that year they changed the policy and we no longer had secret Santa anymore at work.
haha! that's awesome if you knew the guy well enough. if he was the kind were you only talked to him as necessary then that's... inappropriate. i'm totally gunna use that this year!

HiTempguy1
11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
My ex-gf gave me a bag of coal (wrapped) then broke up with me over the phone when I called.

Win.

I gotta admit, I did lol :(

goat_killer
11-27-2009, 09:30 AM
For a house warming gift i once received a Motomaster wall clock from Canadian Tire... in the shape of a saw blade.

Hahaha, i actually thought it was pretty funny. But the sad part is the person who gave it to me thought I'd love it.

I ended up mounting it on my cousins dashboard in his Mazda 3... he didn't like that.

Seanith
11-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
A flask? who actually caries one around?

I do :D

Is your aunt a hobo?

atgilchrist
11-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Or have alzheimers?

Spoons
11-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I got Bucky O'hare jogging pants one christmas when I was a kid. My grandma also got me a neon orange New Kids on The Block fanny pack and water bottle another christmas. Another time I got a bible.

I fucking hated bucky o'hare and NKOTB, and not a big bible reader either. They all collected dust. Not sure what happened to any of it.

Haha I remember my grandma gave me a NKOTB neon green toque for Christmas one year. What the hell was with those old people and brightly colored NKOTB gear.

Canmorite
11-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Snowboarding magazines from my Grandma, every year. I ski.

Vagabond142
11-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I really don't think I've ever had a bad christmas gift, ever o_O Most of the time, I think it's because all the surprise gifts I get are actually either a) useful or b) good fun. For example, I got a moose in a mug (little plush moose in a big-ass mug) a few years back, and the moose is on my shelf and the mug is a rockin soup mug, so it's all being used XD

I guess the WORST I have ever received was a serrated knife sharpener... I only have straight blade kitchen knives XD But, it made sense later that day when I got a nice set of serrated blade kitchen knives that I have used... 3 times? :P

Clever
11-27-2009, 05:30 PM
My wife gave me a guido style tennis bracelet the first Xmas we spent together, to this day we still bug her about it and we re-wrap the bracelet every year as a gag gift for someone.

Pihsiak
11-27-2009, 10:33 PM
wow... I thought I got it bad.

One year I got a box of fruit loops.

jwslam
11-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
wow... I thought I got it bad.

One year I got a box of fruit loops.
pass it off to HiTempguy1
he might kiss you just cuz it's food. maybe it didn't HAVE to be pizza
lol

HiTempguy1
11-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

pass it off to HiTempguy1
he might kiss you just cuz it's food. maybe it didn't HAVE to be pizza
lol

The fact of the matter is, any present you can use is a good one. And btw, I fucking LOVE Fruit Loops. :D

jwslam
12-01-2009, 10:47 AM
bump...on a new note
what do you do when they customize a gift you hate
i.e. they get a print screen tshirt for you but the picture is horrifyingly ugly

ringer
12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I had an aunt that gave me religious bookmarks with little cherubs praying that said little quotes from the bible on them.

Same aunt always gives me little figurines made of glass of like pianos or people praying. I am not religious.

Graham_A_M
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM

Fucking WOW. That would make for some awkward family get-togethers afterward. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I dont think I'll ever know a guy that can top that list.

dandia89
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM
i got this weird ass shirt?

it was an armless hoody and it had writing on it as if it were an affliction shirt. absoutley terrible and it was from my brothers fiance who i thought had fashion sense!

Rat Fink
12-02-2009, 12:29 AM

jwslam
12-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

LOL, my stepbrother did this for us one year. i forgot about it. It was a picture of me and my three mormon step brothers taken during family photos. The picture took up the whole front side and then on the back it said "da boys" :facepalm:
car wash rag....