PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the forecast... Change tires?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

benyl
11-26-2009, 09:08 PM
So, about 2 days after the last dump, I went back to summers.

My brother says it is dumping so much in Lake Louise that they are closing the highway or it is already closed. He also said that he heard on the radio that they are already sanding the bridges in anticipation of the snow that is coming.

The brutal part is that it is supposed to be 9 degrees on Sunday...

443 lbft eats winter tires on dry pavement (how are those winters rage2?)

So who else is going to swap tonight?

nonlinear
11-26-2009, 09:26 PM
i wouldn't. we're not getting much overnight, and it's supposed to be 3 on sat and 11 on sunday.

benyl
11-26-2009, 09:29 PM
This says 5 cms.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0049

blownz
11-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Fuck me. I am driving to Calgary tomorrow when Edmonton is supposed to be plus 1 and sunny. And the worst is that I will be in some rental suv with no winter tires like my suv. :thumbsdow

In response to your post though, if it is easy for you to swap your tires I would do it if you need to drive the car tomorrow morning. Looks like a decent amount of snow overnight. You can always swap them back after work.

LongCity
11-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I've been wanting to switch back to all seasons for a while now. Had winters on the Monday after the two big snowfalls and it's been dry all but 1 or 2 days since with temperatures in the pluses during the day, everyday!

nonlinear
11-26-2009, 09:36 PM

benyl
11-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Haha, yeah, I guess I am going out now to do it. Got to do both cars! Dammit!

Better safe than sorry!

rage2
11-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by benyl
443 lbft eats winter tires on dry pavement (how are those winters rage2?)
Uhh, I'm at 1800km's, and I'm about 1/2 done my rears. :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2009, 09:44 PM
FInally snow.

2000TL
11-26-2009, 09:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I just finished swapping back to winters right now.

Bigchuckers
11-26-2009, 10:00 PM
sticking to my summers still, not ready to give up on nice fall weather. most of the snow on the road will melt as the ground is still warm. with all the chinnoks we get in calgary, until it really gets snowy and cold, summers it is.. :burnout: :burnout:

atgilchrist
11-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Wouldn't have anything to do with "testing" the performance capabilities of the new ride, would it? ;)

rage2
11-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
Wouldn't have anything to do with "testing" the performance capabilities of the new ride, would it? ;)
I've been driving pretty normal. Traction on all the time, no wheelspin. This car just eats tires!

95teetee
11-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Bigchuckers
sticking to my summers still, not ready to give up on nice fall weather.

this.

Besides, I can get by on my g-forces if it snows anyway. Sort of:D

sputnik
11-27-2009, 09:03 AM
This says 5 cms.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0049

Says less than 1cm now.

1-Bar
11-27-2009, 09:07 AM
hope you haven't changed 2 sets of wheels Benyl.....

benyl
11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I only changed one. haha. Stupid ass weather network!

Aleks
11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been on snow tires since that first dump. I am too lazy to do go back and forth all the time :banghead:

freshprince1
11-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I was practically blizzardinng in Okotoks this morning. So I took the wife's SUV...got to the highway and it was bone dry.

almerick
11-27-2009, 11:36 AM
There was a very very very small amount of snow in the hamptons, everywhere else is dry

alloroc
11-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Now would be a good time.
Most tire 'experts' say the switchover temp is 7°C

http://wx.ca/?service=dynimage/Almanac/almImg

benyl
11-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I've been on snow tires since that first dump. I am too lazy to do go back and forth all the time :banghead:

The reason I make the effort:

Even my 335i goes through them fast. My summer set lasted all of 10,000 km. The winter set on the 335 is going on the 5th season. Still plenty of siping left... haha, I guess I am a cheap bastard when it comes to winter tires!

Kritafo
11-27-2009, 12:15 PM
okay I am going to change this again...It's snowing..It had done a little bit of everything here.

Rain, snow , hail, back to snow.

whiskas
11-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I've been on winters for the last 2 months. Even though daytime temperatures may be above 7 degrees at night they are close to 0 if not lower. Summer tires turn to hockey pucks at those temperatures and even on dry pavement they have awful grip. At minus temperatures on dry pavement winters will have much more braking capacity than summers.

The tread pattern on winters helps with snow, but most importantly the rubber compound used in winters helps with low temperatures.

Impreza
11-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Just started snowing an hour or so ago here in the NE by McCall Lake.

Kritafo
11-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I have my appointment for next week for the tire change... it's been a crazy fall at our house, I am happy that the weather has been half decent.

Snow stopped in the NW

Neil4Speed
11-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Sadly I put on my snow tires before the last snowfall a couple of weeks (months??) ago.. I thought I was so smart. :(

Khyron
11-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Risk of being in a crash that you could have avoided vs the 50$ or whatever you save in extra wear?

No brainer to me - winters went on at the end of Sept and will stay on until May long. They only wear abnormally fast in 20+ temps. And when I'm driving (morning and evening) it's still pretty chill.

1-Bar
11-27-2009, 03:49 PM
I only changed one. haha. Stupid ass weather network!

The question remains, are you going to change it back??

Alterac
11-27-2009, 05:06 PM
lotsa snow comming down now.. Everyone back into the garage! :D hah

almerick
11-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Everybody drive safer, the roads are starting to ice.

Canucks3322
11-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Summers are no good below 7 degrees celsius you fools still on summers...all season would still be ok.

Disoblige
11-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Ah.. Sitting on the train now. Finally Winter is here!

JfuckinC
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
yo shit is SLICK out there lol
Brand new winters were getting squirrelllllyyyyyy

Diesel2005
11-27-2009, 05:25 PM
is it slippery out there? I drove the 350z but it has snow tires. lol

bourge73
11-27-2009, 05:25 PM
14th is really ugly.... pure ice in spots so be careful, for gods sakes turn your lights on and slow down. Summers? stay home.

nonlinear
11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
well i have to say i'm wondering what's more unsafe - the relatively small amount of snow and ice on the road, or the 439875437543975984375843 calgarian drivers who fear winter roads and freak out at even the tiniest hint of snow or ice.

good winter drivers understand how to handle their vehicle properly and embrace the conditions. seriously, guys, you should understand this of all people.

snow tires are for pussies :poosie:

alloroc
11-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

snow tires are for pussies :poosie:

Winter tires are to avoid idiots that think not having snow tires is just as safe.

PS you better start leaving 8 seconds following distance because I know I can stop nearly as well in snow/ice as on pavement and you can't.

adam c
11-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Put on the winters some dumb fuck is stuck on the train tracks at 39th ave and delaying the whole line until he can get towed... Fucking bs standing here on the train with what the driver said a 30 minute wait

nonlinear
11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Winter tires are to avoid idiots that think not having snow tires is just as safe.

PS you better start leaving 8 seconds following distance because I know I can stop nearly as well in snow/ice as on pavement and you can't.

i run all-seasons, but you're right that snow tires are better, but all-seasons are fine as long as you drive according to the conditions.

nonlinear
11-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by adam c
Put on the winters some dumb fuck is stuck on the train tracks at 39th ave and delaying the whole line until he can get towed... Fucking bs standing here on the train with what the driver said a 30 minute wait

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?! hahahaha, that must suck being crammed in there like sardines in a tin can :P you should all get out and push him out!!!

adam c
11-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Luckily my train car isn't crowded but I'm stuck at earlton so I'm no where close to push his/her dumbass

Edit I would assume its a her since the announcement said they were stuck on the actual tracks and not in the intersection

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
11-27-2009, 06:17 PM
You guys should see all the cars that are spinning their tires trying to make it up Sarcee trail NW heading towards Country Hills Blvd. It's actually at least 20 cars stuck within 100 meters of road. :rofl:
Had plans to do stuff tonight, I think I'll be staying in though.

almerick
11-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Avoid country hills if you hate a mouth full of nut sack, cut through hamptons if you are heading up the hill. Seems like there are a lot of people stuck on country hills.

scat19
11-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Is it THAT bad out there? I have my fathers bday to go to - cannot miss that.

^ Thanks man. I'm going to try stoney instead.

7thgenvic
11-27-2009, 06:37 PM
BAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH at all the N00bs that left their summer's on! Saw a M5 and M3 sideways and stuck on Bow trail.....3 accidents on Memorial..

sabad66
11-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I've been on the bus for half an hour so far and just got outta downtown... From listening on the driver's radio, looks like centre street and Edmonton trail are complete shit-shows

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Wooo only an Hour and a half to make it from SAIT to the Hamptons. 10 car pileup in Edgemont, sat at the lights first in line for a good half hour because nothing could move.

rage2
11-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Snow tires are only a little better today than all seasons. The roads are pure ice out there. Crowchild was pure ice from roughly Brentwood to Nose Hill. If it wasn't for idiots stuck on hills, I would've made it back without getting stuck. Had to make a run at the big hill by my house. Almost made it up first time, until some bitch took over all the lanes trying to get unstuck and I had to brake and stop. Fucked me over.

AWD is the only thing that'll save ya on tonite's drive!

badatusrnames
11-27-2009, 06:58 PM
a bendy bus had centre st. around 30th ave blocked off. the back of the bus was straight. the front half was at almost 90 degrees into the left lane.

been on edmonton tr. for an hour... fml.

7thgenvic
11-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Studdeed seemed to work decent tonight. The roads are slippery as fuck.

whiskas
11-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I live in downtown and as I walked out of my office I spotted a concrete mixer truck and decided to use that as a reference point.

10 minutes later I had walked 5 blocks and the concrete mixer was like 2 and a half blocks behind me. Now all I'm hearing outside my window is sirens go by and people honking constantly hahahaha

So moral of the story is, if you want to get out of downtown: walk, it's faster.

dezmarez
11-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Snow tires are only a little better today than all seasons. The roads are pure ice out there. Crowchild was pure ice from roughly Brentwood to Nose Hill. If it wasn't for idiots stuck on hills, I would've made it back without getting stuck. Had to make a run at the big hill by my house. Almost made it up first time, until some bitch took over all the lanes trying to get unstuck and I had to brake and stop. Fucked me over.

is this arbour crest drive??

if it is....

my girlfriend always slides down that hill and smokes the curb at least 5 times a year...

brutalllllll hill

rage2
11-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
is this arbour crest drive??

if it is....

my girlfriend always slides down that hill and smokes the curb at least 5 times a year...

brutalllllll hill
Yep. If she drives a black z24, can you yell at her please for going left into 2 lanes of traffic from the curb without any warning? I had to slam on my brakes to avoid her (was going 50 to clear the hill), and ended up getting stuck. She made it up after another 20 seconds of creating some amazing ice at 5500rpm redlining 2nd gear.

2EFNFAST
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I liked the morons going down Deerfoot (south) at 4.30 forming rolling roadblocks doing 50kph with their hazards on :facepalm:

mdude
11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Likewise, this truck on Bow Trail West was going like 5KM an hour around 5PM created traffic chaos that stuck traffic going out of downtown. Guess he didn't care LOL.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Haha, somebody spun their Neon onto the pedestrian island outside ICT. Good thing I'd just crossed the street and wasn't standing there anymore!

hampstor
11-27-2009, 07:26 PM
14th street going up nose hill (just passed the police station) was complete chaos. Cars were scattered all over the road (both sides were a mix of traffic in each direction). Further up there was a bus stuck sideways completely blocking 14th street.

I got to the top of the hill only to be met by a car skidding sideways and a vehicle oncoming. I was going 5kph, on the brakes :eek: and accelerating towards these cars... I'm not sure how i managed to thread my way between them without trading paint.

Then it was another crapshow down 64th all the way to purolator. It's a bit nerve racking when you're going 5kph, on the brakes and still accelerating !

dezmarez
11-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Yep. If she drives a black z24, can you yell at her please for going left into 2 lanes of traffic from the curb without any warning? I had to slam on my brakes to avoid her (was going 50 to clear the hill), and ended up getting stuck. She made it up after another 20 seconds of creating some amazing ice at 5500rpm redlining 2nd gear.

haha was NOT her,
but i have to go up there later tonight,
should be fun on my all seasons...

i'm looking out of my office right now,
a 7 car accident directly infront of me haha
inculding a city bus

nonlinear
11-27-2009, 07:35 PM

yea, this. For me, the primary roads were fine (crowchild south of 5th ave, to glenmore to macleod and heritage). However, the back roads are absolute shit regardless of whether you have snow tires or not. basically GLARE ice. it took me 20 minutes to get from the uiniversity to crowchild (south on university trail or whatever that road is called). then only 15 minutes to get from there to heritage haahaha.

There was a car in an accident on Uinversity Drive with blue underglow... was that one of you fools??

ahahha

adidas
11-27-2009, 07:38 PM
God damn, not looking forward to driving tonight!

RecoilS14
11-27-2009, 07:57 PM
I drive from Fish creek blvd to around westbrook shopping mall (33st sw) every day, usually takes me about 20 - 30 mins. Tonight however took me over 1.5hrs. people in the ditch, upside down, into light poles and the back ends of other vehicles ALL OVER. Today was a serious mess!

It didnt help that the roads were like sheer ice, I was even sliding a bit in 4wd.

Khyron
11-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I drove up one of the steepest hills in Calgary in a FWD Jetta with winters and it was slippery but fine. But definately not speeding weather - the roads were slick like skating rings, ASR was going off a lot.

It should be f'in law to have winters from Nov to April. A few dumb-fucks cause hours of delays.

I'd be interested if anyone caught with summers in a crash would be charged - it's pretty much the same charge as having inadequately working brakes.

CalgaryB5
11-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Rage2.

I could picture you drive like this around curves. hehe.

KczYZxLRwhA

BerserkerCatSplat
11-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Fawk, the buses on Northmount drive are going literally nowhere. We've been sitting at an intersection for 20 minutes with the hazards on, doesn't look like any buses can make it up the hill.

l/l/rX
11-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Wooo only an Hour and a half to make it from SAIT to the Hamptons. 10 car pileup in Edgemont, sat at the lights first in line for a good half hour because nothing could move.

thats not tooo bad. took me an hour to get to the hamptons from market mall..

nightfx
11-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Same thing happened to me. :nut:

prae
11-27-2009, 08:22 PM
I anticipated this and left the office at 3PM. Easiest commute ever.

I rock a 4x4 truck with winter tires but it doesnt do me any good when everybody else is driving sports cars on performance summers :nut:

Kritafo
11-27-2009, 08:22 PM
I am so glad I canceled our plans for tonight...my husband catches the express bus home to our NW house. He has been 2 hours and they are still on Bow Trail. Crazy.

Unknown303
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
My normal 2 minute drive home from work was 20 minutes today.... I was going to lose it.

shakalaka
11-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Was on my way to my Tattoo touch up appointment, never made it, been trying to call them with the lines sounding they have been disconnected or something. I had to push my car twice up the road about a mile each time. Bloody hills in the SW are crazy! Thank god didn't take the mustang out it doesn't even have winter tires. After pushing my car up I helped a couple ladies get theirs up too, absolutely shattered now.

l/l/rX
11-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
My normal 2 minute drive home from work was 20 minutes today.... I was going to lose it.

LOL seriously dude? 2 min drive? You can't walk to work? haha

beyond_ban
11-27-2009, 08:31 PM
39 minute drive home turned in to 2 hrs. crowchild west was stupid. noone was driving, then at silver springs gate it just opens up. wtf...

rage2
11-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
39 minute drive home turned in to 2 hrs. crowchild west was stupid. noone was driving, then at silver springs gate it just opens up. wtf...
It's because of the uphill on sarcee, nose drive that caused a backlog on crowchild all the way to brentwood.

I left downtown at 4:30pm and made it back by 5:10pm, so it wasn't too bad for me.

Nobody's delivering food tonight... off I go to venture off for some food!

Unknown303
11-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

LOL seriously dude? 2 min drive? You can't walk to work? haha

Well it's more like a 5-10 minute drive. And on memorial. So I'm actually covering a fair bit of ground. And after working 12 hours a day walking home isn't high on my list.

nonlinear
11-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Fawk, the buses on Northmount drive are going literally nowhere. We've been sitting at an intersection for 20 minutes with the hazards on, doesn't look like any buses can make it up the hill.

holy shit, did it take you from the neon spinout until 7:16 to just get to northmount??!?!? holy shit man! hope you've got something to keep yourself occupied! or, take a nap!

BerserkerCatSplat
11-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I haven't moved since I posted that! I had time to get off the bus, walk to little ceaser's, buy a pizza, and get back on the bus. It hadn't moved! I am currently eating dinner on the bus, haha!

BokCh0y
11-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I plowed through traffic with my brand new blizzaks and AWD :D

The_Rural_Juror
11-27-2009, 08:55 PM
On a bus on center and 36th. Been on it for over 3hours. Fml

rage2
11-27-2009, 08:58 PM
No idiots on the road == easy trip to Crowfoot to grab dinner. Zero probs at all. Winters and no idiots stopped in the middle of hills FTW!!!

Canmorite
11-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Pure ice out there :eek:

Diesel2005
11-27-2009, 09:00 PM
damn. 10-15 cars stalled going up the hill on sarcee trail towards superstore near edgemont.

lol no one expected this weather. forecast said light snow. :P

5000Audi
11-27-2009, 09:07 PM
wow, them roads are crazy.. ordered food and it never made it.. had to go pick it up.. took me 45 mins to drive from whitehorn to falconridge to get it... crazyness..so far that extra million for snow control isnt showing yet lol

Kritafo
11-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
On a bus on center and 36th. Been on it for over 3hours. Fml

Yup my hubby has been on the bus for 3 hours sitting on Bow Trail...

KKY
11-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Almost got hit by a yellow pickup cutting across 2 lanes on deerfoot. Yes, I agree those ultra slow drivers are annoying, but at least do a shoulder check when you want to pass them... :whipped:

EuroDubbs
11-27-2009, 09:15 PM
never had any problems out there! gotta love awd + good winters!! :P

JfuckinC
11-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I haven't moved since I posted that! I had time to get off the bus, walk to little ceaser's, buy a pizza, and get back on the bus. It hadn't moved! I am currently eating dinner on the bus, haha!

HAHAHAA
Yesssssss

my friend just bbm me and she said its like the end of the world, cops, crashes, people running around like wtf lol
this is on northmount

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-27-2009, 09:28 PM

thats not tooo bad. took me an hour to get to the hamptons from market mall..

Do you by chance drive a Silver Subaru?

eglove
11-27-2009, 09:28 PM
bullshit, 25mins to get 3 blocks, haha.

brown_guy
11-27-2009, 09:30 PM
ITS SHIT OUTSIDE AND I GOT AWD

(mostly cause of bad drivers and people with BMW's /Lexus with no winter tires)

TYMSMNY
11-27-2009, 09:32 PM
3 hours from mcknight/edmonton tr. to Westhills. I was stuck so many times with winters on.... stupid car.

al-ti2d
11-27-2009, 09:33 PM
man, i am sooo cozy in bed right now :goflames:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Status update! Still haven't moved, haha. Strongly considering hichhiking. :rofl:

LongCity
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I had a bit of problems going up Shag into Edgemont. First year with winters too... I saw an IS cruising right by me on stock wheels. Didn't make me feel too happy with the winters hahah

speedog
11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Really crazy day today - left the shop in Bridlewood at 6:16PM, roads were dry. Took normal route home, Macleod, Canyon Meadows, Bow Bottom, Deerfoot and while listening to QR77 and 106.5 decided to go up to 64th ave. Went west on 64th ave and south on 4th Street NW and literally drove onto a skating rink. Got home and amazingly, I went 32km in 40 minutes.

My wife, on the other hand, left her chiropractors office on Center Street and 10th Ave and took 4 hours to go 38 blocks - I actually walked to where she was stuck intraffic and took the wheel and backtracked to 16th and Deerfoot to get home.

Iciest streets I've seen in 30 years of living in Calgary - snow tires or not, nothing made a difference on these streets. Saw trucks/cars sliding down the slightest of inclines. Just nutz.

Team_Mclaren
11-27-2009, 09:46 PM
FML i have to drive out to springbank for work in an hour....:facepalm: :rofl: :rofl:

l/l/rX
11-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Do you by chance drive a Silver Subaru?

nah we have a WRB one.

On a side note, my bimmer with winters made it home no problem, except for a slight hiccup on john laurie and shag. Got stopped at the lights and it was icy as hell, couldnt make it over that little slope, reversed and went up Shagannapi. Thank god John laurie was NOT busy.

Unknown303
11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I've been sitting at home for a while now and there is a lineup of cars on 1st Ave in Bridgeland here just polishing this hill into a beautiful ice slope.

lilmira
11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, worst condition I've seen. Crowchild is all ice covered. Bow Trail exit, Sarcee exit are loaded with stuck buses, cars.

It took me 2.5hrs to get home. I got to listen to almost the entire hockey game in traffic, awesome.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM

nah we have a WRB one.

On a side note, my bimmer with winters made it home no problem, except for a slight hiccup on john laurie and shag. Got stopped at the lights and it was icy as hell, couldnt make it over that little slope, reversed and went up Shagannapi. Thank god John laurie was NOT busy.

Oh haha. Decided to let off some steam in the school parking lot and saw some other guy in a Silver Subaru doing the same thing.