PDA

View Full Version : Any place in town have little Yamaha sub?

whatthe
11-27-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/speakers/YSTFSW150.jsp

Does any shop in town carry this? Futureshop doesn't have anything in stock, I think soundsaround only carries Velodyne now...

whatthe
11-27-2009, 12:40 PM
How about the energy m6??

Mitsu3000gt
11-27-2009, 02:46 PM
What is your budget? Is size a really important factor?

The M6 only plays down to 42hz wich is pretty weak for a sub - any decent set of speakers will play that low.

There are lots of bang for the buck subs around, just need to know your criteria and I can help more.

whatthe
11-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Size is the factor. It's getting tucked away in the corner, under a few glass floating shelfs (9"-10" height max). It's for an open loft condo/apprtment downtown so can't really be too loud anyway.

Even Velodynes MicroVee only goes to 38 and it's $900. The Yamaha sounds like an interesting idea if it goes down to 30 and it's small and relatively inexpensive.. but, I've never heard one and apparently nobody stocks them.

For most music, 40hz, is liveable, but the mains are orbs (orb audio), but I'd say at best they are good for is 100hz. Sound pretty decent on movies with LFE channel handling the rest, but not as nice on tunes.

Any other sub recommendations for compact size? I liked the Martin Logan Dynamo, but too 'big'.

nobb
11-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I really doubt that Yamaha sub can get down to 30hz with that 6.5 inch driver. They didnt rate the attenuation at 30hz, which is important. It could be 30hz at -30dB and technically you could argue that it does hit 30hz, but you wont hear it.

whatthe
11-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed that they should post that.

There is Yamahas explanation...

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/technology/Advanced_YST.jsp

Kind of why I would like to hear one.

Mitsu3000gt
11-29-2009, 10:26 AM
The problem with the manufacture's "Hz" rating is that they also often quote low frequency extension, in ideal conditions that most people's rooms don't come close to.

If you have ~$800 to spend I'd recommend the Paradigm Ultracube 10. It is a 12" cube, so no need to worry about size. This is one of the subs I have, and it moves plenty of air. It also goes down to 22Hz if you are comparing spec sheets.

And, as a bonus, it now can be used with Paradigm's PBK-1, which is a subwoofer room-correction device dereived from the Anthem ARC room correction (Anthem makes some of the best Pre/Pro's in the business). Sub correction/equalization makes a huge difference, and it's only $300 if you want to get that down the road. It also will help isolate the bass in whatever room your sub is in, which is useful in apartments/condos. It removes any nulls & boomy spots your room may have.

The mini vee is OK, but I much prefer the Ultracube 10. I have heard both side by side.

If you're looking to spend a bit less money, some of the best really low cost subs are the HSU STF-1 and 2 http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html. They might be a bit big but they outperform the ML Dynamo handily.