PDA

View Full Version : authentic thai food in Calgary?

snoop101
11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Anyone know of some good thai food places.

Prefer the south, but curious about others.

GQBalla
11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Bangkoknoi Thai

on center st

1324d centre street

friends family owns it

ExtraSlow
11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't know how authentic is it, but the spicy hut on Edmonton Trail has a lot of Thai dishes which are really good.
They also serve some chinese stuff, but that isn't thier specialty, and it's pretty poor.

snoop101
11-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Anyone tried the royal Thai (i think thats the name) by canyon meadows area.

Edit:Nvm I was reading a website that said its the worst in Calgary

The_Rural_Juror
11-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Thai Sai-On is good.

TC06
11-27-2009, 05:17 PM
+1 Bangkoknoi Thai

nonlinear
11-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Thai Sai-On is good.

this

also thai boat (kid of owners of thai sai-on)

the king and i - which is a more upscale/loungy place.

but i'm a white boy and don't really know what authentic is either.

Clever
11-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Anyone tried the royal Thai (i think thats the name) by canyon meadows area.

Edit:Nvm I was reading a website that said its the worst in Calgary

Yeah never going back there, it was absolutely the worst thai food i've had, we go to Thai Nong Khai(sp?) across from BIG 4 dealership.

Kritafo
11-27-2009, 05:44 PM
not much in the way of authentic in Calgary but we love Chili Club it's nice and spicy.

Godfuader
11-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Chili Club :thumbsup:

Check out the thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/251991/chili-club-thai-house/

78si
11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Bangkoknoi Thai

on center st

1324d centre street

friends family owns it

I love this place! :love:

xxxazntigerxx
11-28-2009, 02:08 AM
homemade is the best when your thai friends make it. at first it was too spicy then i grew to like the spicyness

xxxazntigerxx
11-28-2009, 02:09 AM
i find thai food too exspensive for what they give you

pinoyhero
11-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Chili Club :thumbsup:

Check out the thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/251991/chili-club-thai-house/

Very good but pricey given portion size, value prop is mediocre at best.

mac_82
11-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Thai Sai-On is good.

Originally posted by nonlinear
the king and i - which is a more upscale/loungy place.

Both of these places are the best Thai food I have had in Calgary since traveling to Thailand.

no_joke
11-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Rose Garden downtown beside James Joyce seemed authentic to me.

Kritafo
11-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by no_joke
Rose Garden downtown beside James Joyce seemed authentic to me.

Really...our Thai friends won't even eat there. My husband just had lunch this week and he said...thumbs down, and it's not his first visit.

I will +1 for Thai Sa On...love it there, just don't go often. We normally end up at Thai Boat my kids love it there....

snoop101
11-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Really...our Thai friends won't even eat there.

This reminds me of Viet food. If you walk into a place and theres all white people there its not going to be very good.

We goto the Viet place in T&T at the back by that dollar store. One of the better places around and ya im usually the only white person there.

JDMMAN
11-28-2009, 10:13 PM
+2 for Bangkoknoi ... tasty and fresh.

Kritafo
11-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

This reminds me of Viet food. If you walk into a place and theres all white people there its not going to be very good.

We goto the Viet place in T&T at the back by that dollar store. One of the better places around and ya im usually the only white person there.

Yeah I hate to say that...but it seems to be true. I was going to say that about Rose Garden but I controlled myself. But it was 99% white people.

I know the soup place, we normally just hit up Pho Hoai because it's that much closer to us...now I want Pho...and it's too late.

dj_rice
11-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Yeah I hate to say that...but it seems to be true. I was going to say that about Rose Garden but I controlled myself.

OMG, YOU ARE RACIST! The truth comes out

I've said it again and I'll say it before, 2 rules for good pho, MUST be located in the dirty SOUTH aka 17th Ave Forest Lawn ghetto hood. #2, when you walk in, must have all black heads of hair, occasional black hair with spiked up blonde bangs and must have Nammer opera playing. If not, DU MA CON CUC DIT MA HEO CHA GIO and go home.

Kritafo, its not too late for pho, take your whole family down to Le Da, they're still open and the pho is best at this time right now

Kritafo
11-28-2009, 10:42 PM
...Just go to any buffet...you will see us all there stuffing our faces with crappy ethnic food..and thinking we are cultured. lol...But then again after eating mashed potatoes, corn and roast meet for centuries we think everything is good just because it has flavour.

Le Da Cafe....still haven't tried it...going to see if anyone is up for a car ride! I do want pho and we just grazed on salad, crackers and cheese all day nobody knew what they wanted to eat after I made pulled pork. Recommend anything?

Holy crap...I didn't realize where it was...it's like 35 mins from the NW...I will have to wait it will be midnight before we are home. lol.

B20EF
11-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Flavour of Thai Sai On seems very similar to what I ate in Thailand. 10x the price but I guess that's to be expected.

xxxazntigerxx
11-29-2009, 02:14 AM
any buffets lol

cdnsir
11-29-2009, 04:17 AM
What about this place in Chinatown? I keep driving by it meaning to try it out one of these days, but never gotten a chance to do it yet.

http://www.thai-bistro.ca/

I'm a Rose Garden fan btw. Don't know how authentic it is, but it sure taste good and the proportion is not bad. Bargain-wise, I'd say it's Spicy Hut cuz the plates there are huge! I stay away from Thai Sai-on cuz damn, it's totally not worth the money. Like $15 for a fist-sized bowl of green curry. Are you kidding me???

Laoz
11-29-2009, 04:26 AM
bangkoknoi isnt that good, this is coming from a thai person

masoncgy
11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by xxxazntigerxx
any buffets lol

Thai Boat, on 32 Ave @ 23 St NE, has a lunch buffet during the week, not too sure about evenings or weekends, but I've had the buffet during the week and it's very tasty... lots of great dishes, varying from mild to burn your face off, and I LOVE spicy food... ;)

I give it a thumbs up.

civic_stylez
11-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Bangkoknoi Thai

on center st

1324d centre street

friends family owns it

i am ridiculously addicted to this place! best thai in the city hands down...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

scboss
12-07-2009, 03:27 AM
Bangkok noi is not authentic at all. Their som tom tastes....off & weird.
Thai Boat is ok I guess, I don't like how everything is sweet and will probably not return.
Ive never been to Thai Bistro but it's chinese owned I believe....which worries me. lol
Chili Club is good but still not very authentic at all.
Tried Delicious Thai today (10st Kensington) and it was good (had som tam/laab gai/green curry) but I was really disappointed with the sizes and again no authentic veggies - arg

It really bothers me that no one seems to use authentic Thai vegetables in their curries even though today they are easily purchased at asian supermarkets. What's also strange is that no one serves their som tam with long green beans & a wedge of cabbage and it's nearly impossible to get sticky rice to eat with it and to eat with any laab.

Bamboo Palace had the best (most authentic) Thai food and the only Laos food in Calgary but they've been gone for so long and I've been goin through withdrawals since then.

Laoz - are you Laotian? Are there any laotian restaurants in calgary?

cdnsir
12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey is the lunch buffet at Thai Boat a daily thing or is it only for certain days?

EDIT: Never mind, called and confirmed as Wednesdays ONLY.

nonlinear
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
Hey is the lunch buffet at Thai Boat a daily thing or is it only for certain days?

EDIT: Never mind, called and confirmed as Wednesdays ONLY.

isn't it amazing what you can accomplish with a telephone these days?

clem24
12-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I don't know how authentic is it, but the spicy hut on Edmonton Trail has a lot of Thai dishes which are really good.
They also serve some chinese stuff, but that isn't thier specialty, and it's pretty poor.

You basically answered your own question. It's basically a Chinese place, run by Chinese, who thinks they can cook Thai AND Chinese food. Except they suck shit at both. But you gotta hand it to them - they've been around for quite a while.

We still can't find a good Thai place here in Calgary. At least one that's consistent. Thai Sai-on seems to be closest for me. Everywhere else is kinda meh. My wife's all time fave restaurant is a Thai restaurant in Bothell/Seattle.

http://www.penthai.com/

max_boost
12-14-2009, 02:02 AM
The best is so subjective :rofl:

Personally I can't eat too much spicy stuff, causes digestive issues later on haha

But Spicy Hut is NOT authentic. Not talking bad about them haha as they are family friends.

Authentic is probably, they are trained in the mother land, speak the language and cook a distinct style.

Since we touched on Pho, Pho Hoai Chinatown is the best everything considered. Large Pho sate, extra beef, $10.50 tax in. So damn good.

atgilchrist
12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Ruan Thai (sp?) on 11th Ave and 12 St SW is good too!

clem24
12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
Ruan Thai (sp?) on 11th Ave and 12 St SW is good too!

Fuck that shit. That place is a shit show. The last 2 times we've been there, the service was ABYSMAL. Heck, there wasn't even any. It probably took 3 hours to eat dinner and the food arrived cold. I will never set foot in there again.

will_e_chill
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Fuck that shit. That place is a shit show. The last 2 times we've been there, the service was ABYSMAL. Heck, there wasn't even any. It probably took 3 hours to eat dinner and the food arrived cold. I will never set foot in there again.

That's too bad. Ruan Thai used to be good...

Beef and lime leaves... mmmmmhhh

clem24
12-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by will_e_chill

That's too bad. Ruan Thai used to be good...

Beef and lime leaves... mmmmmhhh

This is correct. The first time I went there when they first opened up, it was great. I still remember the old white dude working there. But it has gone downhill ever since, which is a shame.

The_Rural_Juror
12-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Same experience here. The last time I was at their lunch buffet, the waitress banned me from the spring rolls. wtf??:rofl:

atgilchrist
12-17-2009, 11:30 AM

I always just get take-out, and so avoid the bad service.