PDA

View Full Version : Average Cruise Night in Winnipeg

Gripenfelter
11-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Winnipeg is the cruising capital of Canada.

Any given sunday the streets of Portage and Main are packed with cars.

20 blocks of bumper to bumper traffic which is worse than rush hour.

Every parking lot packed with on-lookers and car enthusiasts.

Everyone you see on the street in this video is only out for the cruise which happens EVERY sunday night in Winnipeg.

http://members.shaw.ca/lt1z28/cruizin.wmv

We have our share of hot cars but I didn't get them in this video unfortunately. Just focused on the traffic.

KoukiS14
11-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Yeah thats exactly how i remember it. Lawnchair spectators, packed parking lots and the odd stereo competition on the side of Portage Ave.:D

Winnipeg is also the 5.0 capital of Canada. I saw a few in that short clip.

Thanks Grip, i havent been "home" in 5 years, great memories.

sputnik
11-21-2003, 09:35 AM
yeah... thats basically it... however its a whole lot busier in some spots....

moved to calgary 2 years ago... and you would think with the money in this town that you would have WAY more cruising... i guess everyone just prefers keeping their cars in their garages

rage2
11-21-2003, 09:48 AM
hehe I've been to Winnipeg a few times, and it's mind boggling how dedicated the community there is to cruising. You gotta see it to believe it. Mix of everything, imports, domestics, and even a few exotics. Everyone seems to get along real well too.

MenteL
11-21-2003, 12:00 PM
"cruise" nights in calgary were every weds. at willies burgers on mcleod trail.......if you are a biker, its thursday

buh_buh
11-21-2003, 03:26 PM
true, but on any given summer night, just sit on 17th if you want to see some crusing.
Its not organized, but people cruise.:)

JAYMEZ
11-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Ya thats so true buh_buh ..

Damn that looked interesting just wish that person could hold the camera straight for one second so it could focus lol

cbr_ryder
11-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Didn't think cruising and cars was that big in Manitoba, been a while since I lived there though.

Primer_Drift
11-21-2003, 03:45 PM
lol what the hell? Are they giving out free crack in those parking lots?! I've never seen so many people standing around nothing. Winnepeg looks fun to drive in at night. Hows the po-po situation there, are they easy going cuz of the numbers or what??

Gripenfelter
11-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Police only cares if you race really.

The cruising thing is spilling over to Saturdays and Fridays now too.

Every year its worse and worse. Too many fricken cars.

They've started packing up Regent Ave too.

rage2
11-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
true, but on any given summer night, just sit on 17th if you want to see some crusing.
Its not organized, but people cruise.:)
Trust me, it's NOTHING compared to Winnipeg. It's like every car in Winnipeg shows up at these cruises and pack 30 blocks worth of parking lots. Insane.

Gripenfelter
11-21-2003, 04:01 PM
I'll make some videos next year of the cars PARKED in the lots.

We had one canadian tire parking lot that's about the size of Chinook Mall's lot on the side facing Silvercity.

Imagine every parking spot filled and cars moving bumper to bumper through every lane.

Imagine Boxing Day shopping type of parking every single sunday.

Over 50 cars move through that lot each hour on top of the lot being packed to capacity.

This goes on from 9pm till 2am.

So easily 3000 cars.

And this is just ONE parking lot in the city.

sputnik
11-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Grip...

Dont forget about the Polo Park lot (before they gated it)... and the smaller lots like Midas, Minute Muffler, Advance and Burger Factory on Portage

Khyron
11-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Lol that's excellent! Tho I would imagine it get's annoying quick. Do they do it in the winter too?

Driver almost got smoked in that video by that guy turning left.

Khyron

sputnik
11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Once the snow falls everything dies off... however once the sand is off the streets its back to normal

As for the cops. They sometimes will have a checkstop for blatently illegal mods (running with undercarriage lights, blue lights etc). However the modification laws in Winnipeg are WAY more lenient than in Calgary (ie. you can tint your front windows in Winnipeg, and run HIDs etc). Most of the tickets you will see are people doing burnouts in the middle of the street or racing.

SinisterProbeGt
11-21-2003, 04:20 PM
looks pretty crazy. when was that vid taken?

Gripenfelter
11-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Cold day in September just before I came to Calgary for the Performance-Shop.com meet. When Calgary had that snow storm.

Dj_Stylz
11-21-2003, 04:56 PM
wow lol

Wildcat
11-21-2003, 05:17 PM
ahhh the good ol peg... best car scene evar, still doesnt mean ill move back for it ;)

hey grip, what car r u in? thats no fbody dash :D

)v(ortal
11-21-2003, 05:24 PM
ya thats a pretty crazy ass vid there, nice nice

-db

Gripenfelter
11-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
ahhh the good ol peg... best car scene evar, still doesnt mean ill move back for it ;)

hey grip, what car r u in? thats no fbody dash :D

Wife's GTP for half the movie and my camaro for the other half. :)

SickBastard
11-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Man do I love the summers in winnipeg. Every year it gets more and more and more jammed.

Mike09
11-22-2003, 12:27 AM
Ya, i was there this summer and my cuz' took me too it, alot of :bigpimp: car's and the older muscle car's represent too!

Redlyne_mr2
11-22-2003, 01:15 AM
looks like fun, maybe Ill have to stop in next summer when I drive back from TO to alberta

kaput
11-22-2003, 01:48 AM
What's there to do in the winter in Winnipeg? I'll be visiting for a few days at the end of january, please tell me there's SOMETHING to do there!!!

xkon
11-22-2003, 01:58 AM
Ahhh, my old stomping grounds!

i was supposed to go in july, bu t had motor issues :thumbsdow

dont think i could return there permanently, but id love to have a cottage like the ones available in gimli and grand beach!

Gripenfelter
11-22-2003, 02:24 AM
In the winter people go snowmobiling or to bars like Tijuana's. The Empire, etc.

Or they create secret winter projects in their garages. :D

403Gemini
11-22-2003, 02:37 AM
looks fun, wish calgary was like this. organized n such :)

Wildcat
11-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Mike09
Ya, i was there this summer and my cuz' took me too it, alot of :bigpimp: car's and the older muscle car's represent too!

muscle runs the show in the peg, hands down

Paul
11-22-2003, 12:57 PM
We should get something like this going in Calgary. I remember 2 years ago meeting at a parking lot downtown (6th and 2nd??) which was kinda cool, there was sometimes around 50-60 cars and was a good mix of everything, the cops showed up and even though we were loittering on private property they were only interested in who was drinking and driving, they didn't issue any tix for shit like altezza's, tint, exhaust or anything stupid.

the only downside to this was this was where everyone met before they wen't out racing on 50th ave and peagan tr. so there were some immature people there, but for the most part everyone was cool, and respectful.

I also remember this one cruize that was held my a old tuner shop "Motorsport Designz" that started at Southcenter and ended somewhere around Peter's. THis was a cool cruise cuz there was around 100 cars. anyone remember this one, it was organized by Jan C. (mixed feelings about this guy) and everyone got separated downtown, nobody knew where to go??

HiRola
11-23-2003, 11:20 PM
If you're ever stopping in Winnipeg make sure you stay for at least one Sunday night. It's worth it!:thumbsup:

SickBastard
11-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

muscle runs the show in the peg, hands down Not really any more. More imports now. ANd alot of rice.

Gripenfelter
11-25-2003, 12:03 AM
Last couple of years the import scene in Winnipeg has really exploded.

We're not upto Calgary standards in the way of crazy mods but we make up in quantity what we lack in quality. :D

sputnik
11-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
looks fun, wish calgary was like this. organized n such :)

The interesting thing... its NOT "organized"... it just started from out of nowhere... all word of mouth

MenteL
08-08-2005, 10:55 PM
I swear to god the last wednesday I saw some guys eating sushi off the hood of a well done up prelude. No joke, they had sushi containers and chopsticks and everything. I like sushi, invite me over next time ;) Just look for the red grand am that was wrapped around the pole 2 weeks ago. I buffed it out! Now its got some sweet black primer :thumbsup:

Gripenfelter
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't pull up 2 yr old topics. :thumbsdow :closed: