PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mayhem - 7 cars vs. Bus.

scat19
11-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Saw this tonight.

Typical no winter tires crew. Talking to a few of them and one guy was saying that you don't need winter tires because we don't have very many days of snow on the ground. I said, well you needed them today didn't ya? You could have bought them for the price it was going to fix your scraped up truck.

Another one said he's going to buy them right away because he saw "cars driving up on the ditch and away with no problems, and they had winters! Cars!!!" - he had a truck.

enough yatterin - pics and vid

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Winter%2009-10/PB270830.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Winter%2009-10/PB270829.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Winter%2009-10/PB270830.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Winter%2009-10/PB270831.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Winter%2009-10/PB270832.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Winter%2009-10/PB270833.jpg

I'm waiting for the good ol iphone to upload its vids ;)

jessomewrx
11-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

scat19
11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBfEq4eL9ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ycfaZ4fgo

atgilchrist
11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
660 news said that there was a 40-45 car collision on Edgemont Drive.:eek:

black13
11-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

yea its fucking brutal there cause its a HUGE uphill that curves around. Thank god I came up from shagganappi or I would be in it.

TorqueDog
11-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by scat19
Typical no winter tires crew. Talking to a few of them and one guy was saying that you don't need winter tires because we don't have very many days of snow on the ground. I said, well you needed them today didn't ya? You could have bought them for the price it was going to fix your scraped up truck.It took me nearly three hours to get home today. And while cars were spinning their tires on the Centre Street bridge, I was driving up it with all season tires. Why? Because if you don't drive like a fucking idiot, you won't get stuck.

All these asshats in FWDs spinning their tires are making the road more slippery. All I did was turn off my DSC, slowly let my clutch out and let the car do the rest - barely had to touch my accelerator.

Notice those cars were mostly 4x4/AWD vehicles? That sort of sliding happens when you all have to brake suddenly on ice... because they were driving too fast to begin with.

Enhance
11-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

It was quite the sight. A transit bus, school bus and ambulance were smooshed into each other.

Mr_ET
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Bus=FLAWLESS VICTORY

people I've been saying it for 5 years now buy winters and drive home fine or don't and pile up with a bunch of other winners into a bus.

kevie88
11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
It took me nearly three hours to get home today. And while cars were spinning their tires on the Centre Street bridge, I was driving up it with all season tires. Why? Because if you don't drive like a fucking idiot, you won't get stuck.

All these asshats in FWDs spinning their tires are making the road more slippery. All I did was turn off my DSC, slowly let my clutch out and let the car do the rest - barely had to touch my accelerator.

Notice those cars were mostly 4x4/AWD vehicles? That sort of sliding happens when you all have to brake suddenly on ice... because they were driving too fast to begin with.

lol

And while you're idling away from the light I'm at half throttle, couple of pounds of boost and not spinning at all. I can accelerate on bare ice as if I'm driving normally on dry pavement.

I was able to brake WAY later than anyone else tonight as well, never had any issue at all. Even on bare ice.

Winter tires aren't nessesary, but if they were manditory as they should be, there would be half as many accidents. Granted, Subaru AWD with a locked center diff makes it so much easier, but with winters every car would be 100% better.

isktarum
11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
the problem though, is that even if you have winter tires and can stop just fine, chances are the car that's following you doesn't and if he/she is a clown like many are that follows too close, they will slide right into you...there will always be too many people that are too cheap to buy tires...

its only a matter of time before Alberta follows suit with other provinces and makes it mandatory to put winters on your car...

TorqueDog
11-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
lol

And while you're idling away from the light I'm at half throttle, couple of pounds of boost and not spinning at all. I can accelerate on bare ice as if I'm driving normally on dry pavement.

I was able to brake WAY later than anyone else tonight as well, never had any issue at all. Even on bare ice.

Winter tires aren't nessesary, but if they were manditory as they should be, there would be half as many accidents. Granted, Subaru AWD with a locked center diff makes it so much easier, but with winters every car would be 100% better. How impressive that your AWD car can accelerate away in slippery conditions faster than a rear drive car... and you're attributing it to your winter tires. :rofl:

Who cares about how fast you're able to accelerate off the light or how late you can brake? I don't know if you noticed, but it's a fucking skating rink out there. You shouldn't be putting yourself in a situation that requires you to brake late. Keep your distance and keep your speed down.

kevie88
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by isktarum
the problem though, is that even if you have winter tires and can stop just fine, chances are the car that's following you doesn't and if he/she is a clown like many are that follows too close, they will slide right into you...there will always be too many people that are too cheap to buy tires...

its only a matter of time before Alberta follows suit with other provinces and makes it mandatory to put winters on your car...

Agreed. I ran a red light on the way home tonight because the person behind me was locked up and sliding down a hill toward me.(checked to make sure no one else was coming, and lucky I was the first person in line) He slid straight thru the intersection.

Luckily when its icy everything happens in slow motion haha

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by black13

yea its fucking brutal there cause its a HUGE uphill that curves around. Thank god I came up from shagganappi or I would be in it.

It was pretty god damn brutal. It held up traffic going both ways!

kevie88
11-27-2009, 09:57 PM
How impressive that your AWD car can accelerate away in slippery conditions faster than a rear drive car... and you're attributing it to your winter tires. :rofl:

Who cares about how fast you're able to accelerate off the light or how late you can brake? I don't know if you noticed, but it's a fucking skating rink out there. You shouldn't be putting yourself in a situation that requires you to brake late. Keep your distance and keep your speed down.

I'm not talking about going past brake marker one at Race City's front straight, I'm increasing my braking distances by at least 10x. But I'm still outbraking most people on the road downhill with absolute sheer ice. That wouldn't be the case if everyone had winters.

TorqueDog
11-27-2009, 10:02 PM
There's no replacement for driving skill. Period.

kevie88
11-27-2009, 10:07 PM

Well there's something we agree on! :D

Winter tires enlarge the performance envelope tho, and make it easier for the retards to get moving so the rest of us can get around at more than 9 kph.

TorqueDog
11-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
...and make it easier for the retards to get moving...And now you see the problem; anything that gives the morons in this city more confidence to drive faster in slippery conditions is worrying to me. ;)

Joe-G
11-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Went sideways on deerfoot today, not fun at all. So i bought tires today! Yay

Gibson
11-27-2009, 11:52 PM
The hill on 14th just as you come over near the winter club was pretty messed too. I was going to go to school to get some work done and as I was approaching it going south it looked like a giant pinball fest, so I turned it the hell around and went home.

It's going to be my first winter with a RWD car but it's got pretty good winters so we'll see what happens.

03ozwhip
11-28-2009, 12:34 AM
im in an AWD with brand new winters and i was perfectly fine on the shitty roads EXCEPT going around corners/merge sections unless i was crawling around them i would go sideways and even at one point did a 180 in the middle of the hiway.

so ya it was icy enough for my + factors to still get me into trouble. its a good thing it all happened in a small town with little traffic.

strong
11-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Something is messed up on Sarcee just past Bow trail. Just drove by on my way home and there aint nothing moving. Any info?

Team_Mclaren
11-28-2009, 01:56 AM

LOL, you couldnt be more wrong. you are epic fail if you can afford an M5 but refuses to buy winters.

turbotrip
11-28-2009, 02:44 AM
lol m5 and m6 abandoned infront of my house

gqmw
11-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

LOL, you couldnt be more wrong. you are epic fail if you can afford an M5 but refuses to buy winters.

LOL, I think it's not that people can't afford winters....they are just skeptical to the usefulness. But once they do try...they will not go back.

2EFNFAST
11-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
lol m5 and m6 abandoned infront of my house

Where you live; I'll be bye to.....rescue....them :angel:

EG_Civic
11-28-2009, 02:57 AM
should check out 10st nw on the hill by sait
2 infiniti g35s there couple bimmers
probably close to 20 cars abandoned

GQBalla
11-28-2009, 04:22 AM
so many cars abandoned. today...

im in my civic right now...unfortunately don't have winters for this car as i wasn't planning on driving this car for a while....winters were on my car that got written off...sigh

StreetRacerX
11-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Had the winters on the dd a month ago, unfortunately I had to take the company van, needless to say it was a good thing there was a median with a curb in the middle of the road to use as brakes or there would be trouble going downhill.

I'll have a chance to use the new winters tomorrow:thumbsup:

pinoyhero
11-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Scenes like that all over the city. They actually closed bow trail west, crazy ...

racerocco
11-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Got kinda lucky, was in the process of mounting up the brand new KW19s with studs as the snow hit. Nothing more frustrating than driving an awd with fresh winters among all those yahoos last night. Really had no problems anywhere, other than finding safe places to pass...

rockanrepublic
11-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Gibson
The hill on 14th just as you come over near the winter club was pretty messed too. I was going to go to school to get some work done and as I was approaching it going south it looked like a giant pinball fest, so I turned it the hell around and went home.

It's going to be my first winter with a RWD car but it's got pretty good winters so we'll see what happens.

if you start having problems put a sand bag over each tire in the trunk.

yea buncha goddamn morons out there last night. I'm FWD with all winters and i never slipped once, but i too had to blow a red cause some dickwad in his bmw with no winters came screaming up behind me.

RecoilS14
11-28-2009, 10:10 AM
God bless push button 4x4 and ice rated tires.

n1zm0
11-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
if you start having problems put a sand bag over each tire in the trunk.

This is wrong imo, I've been through 3 winters with s13s and the sandbag thing was detrimental most times during slow hill climb, back in hs, i remember i couldn't get up 17th west just after 14th, embarrasing as hell because my buddy took those sand bags out and dumped them out in front of the rears so we could get some traction haha
Engineers have tested your vehicles in stock form in all weather conditions extensively before production, a good set of winters and starting in 2nd gear slowly will get you out of almost any slick patch.

Yesterday there were so many people just killing their tires on the crowchild to 16 offramp, a lady in a mustang that couldn't stop on the downhill offramp there so she decides to accelerate to jump the curb... With the steering wheel full locked right... I swear I saw the tie rod fly out into the grass :banghead:

78si
11-28-2009, 10:48 AM
How are the roads this morning?

TorqueDog
11-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
LOL, you couldnt be more wrong. you are epic fail if you can afford an M5 but refuses to buy winters. :rofl: Your post is epic fail if you really think winter tires are any sort of replacement for not driving like an imbecile. I learned to drive in Winnipeg winters. This Calgary winter bullshit is cake as far as I'm concerned.

89s1
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
:rofl: Your post is epic fail if you really think winter tires are any sort of replacement for not driving like an imbecile. I learned to drive in Winnipeg winters. This Calgary winter bullshit is cake as far as I'm concerned.

X1,000,000

I grew up in Winnipeg as well, Winnipegers are cheap SOB's and basically everyone uses the same tires year round.

For more than one reason I'm glad I grew up there.

barmanjay
11-28-2009, 11:41 AM
:rofl: Your post is epic fail if you really think winter tires are any sort of replacement for not driving like an imbecile. I learned to drive in Winnipeg winters. This Calgary winter bullshit is cake as far as I'm concerned.

Please remember winnipeg is flat

Calgary has hills

tobypaddock
11-28-2009, 11:45 AM

:facepalm: they are not a replacement, they are an enhancement. thats like saying there is no point in putting slicks on ur dragster you should just learn to drive better...

rockanrepublic
11-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

This is wrong imo, I've been through 3 winters with s13s and the sandbag thing was detrimental most times during slow hill climb, back in hs, i remember i couldn't get up 17th west just after 14th, embarrasing as hell because my buddy took those sand bags out and dumped them out in front of the rears so we could get some traction haha
Engineers have tested your vehicles in stock form in all weather conditions extensively before production, a good set of winters and starting in 2nd gear slowly will get you out of almost any slick patch.

Yesterday there were so many people just killing their tires on the crowchild to 16 offramp, a lady in a mustang that couldn't stop on the downhill offramp there so she decides to accelerate to jump the curb... With the steering wheel full locked right... I swear I saw the tie rod fly out into the grass :banghead:

i drove my Z32 on two summers and two winters and two sandbags last winter i didint get stuck or anything.:dunno: it is heavier then the s13:dunno:

DannyO
11-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Your lack of common sense is epic fail, so you think in a straight line going down a road at 50kph you hit black ice and need to come to a stop, you think your superior driving skills are going to stop you better than the average driver in the same car in the same conditions but has winters?

You sound like one of the morons in the pileup above.

TorqueDog
11-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
Please remember winnipeg is flat
Calgary has hills No doubt, but not really the point I was making. You learn, really friggin' quick, how to handle your vehicle properly when it's slippery out. The slippery, icy roads last a LOT longer in Winnipeg than they do in Calgary. When I lived there, there were often times where the roads would be in the same condition as yesterday's for days at a time. Yeah, they sand the roads, doesn't make as big a difference as one would think. Whether it was my old-ass 91 F150 2WD or my Camaro, they did it without winter tires. Camaro did it on summers for a couple winters until I put it away and got the F150.

Originally posted by tobypaddock
:facepalm: they are not a replacement, they are an enhancement. thats like saying there is no point in putting slicks on ur dragster you should just learn to drive better...
Originally posted by DannyO
Your lack of common sense is epic fail, so you think in a straight line going down a road at 50kph you hit black ice and need to come to a stop, you think your superior driving skills are going to stop you better than the average driver in the same car in the same conditions but has winters?:rofl: Fuck, I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of kids, I can't believe I have to explain this.

I'm not arguing that winter tires don't enhance traction in slippery situations - I'm saying that you can make do without them by adjusting your driving habits appropriately. You shouldn't be going 50 KM/H if the conditions are such that you may encounter black ice. You should adjust your driving to the conditions. This is basic stuff, guys.

You sound like one of the morons in the pileup above. Yeah, I must be, clearly - I mean, it just isn't possible that I was able to get up the Centre Street bridge just fine last night, and arrive home safely.

...Oh wait.

Then again, I did spend money on the best all-seasons I could get my hands on.

trdjce10
11-28-2009, 02:48 PM
No doubt, but not really the point I was making. You learn, really friggin' quick, how to handle your vehicle properly when it's slippery out. The slippery, icy roads last a LOT longer in Winnipeg than they do in Calgary. When I lived there, there were often times where the roads would be in the same condition as yesterday's for days at a time. Yeah, they sand the roads, doesn't make as big a difference as one would think. Whether it was my old-ass 91 F150 2WD or my Camaro, they did it without winter tires. Camaro did it on summers for a couple winters until I put it away and got the F150.

:rofl: Fuck, I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of kids, I can't believe I have to explain this.

I'm not arguing that winter tires don't enhance traction in slippery situations - I'm saying that you can make do without them by adjusting your driving habits appropriately. You shouldn't be going 50 KM/H if the conditions are such that you may encounter black ice. You should adjust your driving to the conditions. This is basic stuff, guys.

Yeah, I must be, clearly - I mean, it just isn't possible that I was able to get up the Centre Street bridge just fine last night, and arrive home safely.

...Oh wait.

Best all-seasons in terms of what? Best dry traction, best wet traction, best wear, best snow traction, best comfort? Or are they just simply THE best in all conditions? Please tell me what brand and make of that tire.

All the power to you if you can make it up hills and last night no problem with your "best" all seasons tires. I do agreed that people should drive depending on conditions, and not going 50 KM/H on slippery roads. However getting stuck behind someone who is going 10 KM/H because they have all seasons on... that's what I have a problem with. If you don't feel the need of winter tires, good for you. But not everyone here lived in Winnipeg, or mastered the skill of winter driving.

Most people here will rather spend the $500 to $1000 on winter tires just so they can stop that extra few inches. I do understand not everyone have the money to spend on winter tires, but if you do, why not?! Its one thing to smash your own vehicle, but don't smash into others.

speedog
11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
One bad day in Calgary and the old beaten to death winter tire argument rears it's ugly head again. Yeah, I'll agree that a good winter tire is better than most all season tires, but a driver with good winter driving skills and who uses their noggin properly at the same time can get around quite effectively in pretty much the worst conditions too. Still doing all seasons on all of my vehicles and have never had an issue in 30 years of driving in Calgary's winters, never had an accident in those 30 years, never been stuck or hit/bounced off a curb and in fact last night, drove past many dumb drivers spinning their 'winter' tires needlessly. In the end, the best winter tires ain't gonna make a whole hill of beans difference if the associated vehicle's driver is still a moron - the proof was in the pudding last night all around James Fowler High School.

89s1
11-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Please people.... If your tires slip, let off the gas, don't continue to polish the road at 6,000 rpm.

The lack of common sense is astonishing.

DannyO
11-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Yeah, I must be, clearly - I mean, it just isn't possible that I was able to get up the Centre Street bridge just fine last night, and arrive home safely.

...Oh wait.

I really don't think you'll ever get it, its pretty obvious that winters improve traction, I would hope anyone would realize that, so congratulations, its your attitude and everyone elses who thinks just due to them always getting around fine and never having any problems, that they don't need them, winter tyres are like insurance, the extra traction is there for the "just in case" moments, I also ran on the shittiest all seasons for the longest time (trying to get some winters) and apart from one hill I never had any problems, but I also had to crawl around and break more carefully.

You may of not ever found yourself in a position that you needed winters (and most the time they are not needed), but from that reasoning, I should probably cancel my insurance as I have never had an accident and needed to make a claim or anything.

EDIT: Also as for your black ice comment, proper black ice you can't see, and can't really guess if there is gonna be any around, coming from england, the city I lived in got it a lot there and there is never a sign of it coming and can develope at any time of the year, so you can't prepare yourself for it as when you hit it and realize, its too late.

TorqueDog
11-28-2009, 03:15 PM
x1000 on speedog's post - this is what I've been trying to say all along.
Originally posted by trdjce10
Best all-seasons in terms of what? Best dry traction, best wet traction, best wear, best snow traction, best comfort? Or are they just simply THE best in all conditions? Please tell me what brand and make of that tire.

All the power to you if you can make it up hills and last night no problem with your "best" all seasons tires. I do agreed that people should drive depending on conditions, and not going 50 KM/H on slippery roads. However getting stuck behind someone who is going 10 KM/H because they have all seasons on... that's what I have a problem with. If you don't feel the need of winter tires, good for you. But not everyone here lived in Winnipeg, or mastered the skill of winter driving.

Most people here will rather spend the $500 to $1000 on winter tires just so they can stop that extra few inches. I do understand not everyone have the money to spend on winter tires, but if you do, why not?! Its one thing to smash your own vehicle, but don't smash into others. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Stayed with the stock 245F/275R fitment. Did a ton of research, found they were very highly rated for wet, dry, and ice/snow traction in their class. They met my criteria for a performance tire that could still hold its own in winter conditions. I'm very happy with them.

I get what you're saying but I don't have to go 10 KM/H, either. That said, if conditions are bad enough that someone has to go 10 KM/H, your winter tires aren't going to make that much of a difference - it's slippery as hell out, period.

It's not that I don't have the cash to buy winter tires, it's just not worth the investment for me. If you feel safer with 'em, good for you. But chastising me because I don't have or need them is idiotic (not saying you have, just others). I have no accidents on my record and I routinely drive more than 30,000 KM/year. I'm not worried.

... its pretty obvious that winters improve traction, I would hope anyone would realize that...:facepalm: And what the fuck did I say?
I'm not arguing that winter tires don't enhance traction in slippery situations...Just stop posting until you've finished your remedial English lessons, 'kay?

As for the insurance comparo, please explain to me how, just by virtue of having them, winter tires will prevent someone else from hitting me. Insurance doesn't just protect you from your own actions, it protects you from the guy coming the other way.

speedog
11-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Ditto on TorqueDog's insurance bit in his last post - despite not having any at fault accidents in the past 30 years, I still kept my insurance active and that has come in handy in several break and enter/thefts, two rear enders (I was rear ended and in one of them, the car was unoccupied and parked on the side of the road) and one hail claim. None of these events were my fault and in four of these five claims, I was not even present at the scene - using DannyO's logic though, I should not have bothered with having any insurance on my vehicles because I have never had an accident in those 30 years.

DannyO
11-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by speedog
using DannyO's logic though, I should not have bothered with having any insurance on my vehicles because I have never had an accident in those 30 years.

:rofl: I'm sure most people don't have insurance mainly for weather coverage, you made a good call on keeping it and it worked out in your favor.

speedog
11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm sure most people don't have insurance mainly for weather coverage, you made a good call on keeping it and it worked out in your favor. Weather coverage? WTF - where did that come from?

speeed
11-28-2009, 03:53 PM
It's amazing how much winter tires can make a difference. I had no problems going all around the city yesterday.

speedog
11-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by speeed
It's amazing how much winter tires can make a difference. I had no problems going all around the city yesterday. Ya weren't near James Fowler High School I'll assume - even winters there made no difference. All vehicles regardless of their tires were hooped there.

DannyO
11-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Weather coverage? WTF - where did that come from?

My bad, guess I saw your hail comment before posting, but still doesn't change the fact most people don't get insurance mainly for protection from weather/theft/fire.

speeed
11-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Ya weren't near James Fowler High School I'll assume - even winters there made no difference. All vehicles regardless of their tires were hooped there.

No, I was mainly in the northwest, on deerfoot to downtown, and back up north.

Still glad that I didn't come close to getting stuck considering how many cars were stuck and abandoned on shaganappi and crowchild etc.

RecoilS14
11-28-2009, 04:30 PM
did anyone see any exotics on the road last night? I know a bunch of em have been driving around the past couple of days, so im curious if anyone pushed their luck.

The nicest car i saw was an Audi S4 wagon, but he was rockin blizzacks.

yellowsnow
11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Used to drive with all seasons... then got a free set of winter tires. It makes me feel safer and I know I have more stopping power and more traction, but that didn't mean much on some spots last night!

Fact is, MOST people in Calgary NEED winter tires.

max_boost
11-28-2009, 05:14 PM
haha yeah Calgary drivers suck so for most of them, they should get winter tires. To each their own man but personally all my cars have winter tires and that's the way I like it. I feel much safer and comfortable with them.

How would have studded winter tires done in yesterday's winter conditions? Just chew up the ice and move along?

toastgremlin
11-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Winter tires make me feel safer, but they shouldn't be considered a replacement for good judgment and gentle feet. For me, they were cheaper than my insurance deductible, so they make sense. I wouldn't argue that people absolutely need them, but I wouldn't be opposed to a law that mandates them.

Granted, if they do mandate them, you'd want to stay off the road for the first couple days while people find out that winter tires do not necessarily mean 100% perfect grip in all conditions. Pick Your Part would probably appreciate the increased business and stock.

I saw a few S-Class Mercs last night, but I'm assuming that at least some of them had AWD.

Even with these conditions, I still got blown past on westbound Southland by a Ford van with a housewife driving one handed and talking on her cellphone. :rolleyes:

Sentry
11-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Most of this shit is just from people who prefer to only see the bumper of the car in front of them. "Following too close" is one ticket I will NEVER, EVER get. I think it should be enforced much more, especially in winter. 2-3 seconds minimum on dry pavement, and a hell of a lot more on snow and ice.

That being said it is absolutely not necessary to do 30 down 16ave just because of a little snow and ice. :rolleyes:

gqmw
11-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Although I agree winter tires may not even help in all situations, they do help to a certain extent in some situations.

For like a thousand dollars...you may get better peace of mind, and in many people's books that counts for a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I drove with all seasons for awhile, finally made the change this year and IMO it was well worth it. Noticeably better and the peace of mind it offers definitely can't put a price on it, especially on days like yesterday.

Sentry
11-28-2009, 05:42 PM
And remember to stay safe out there. When the snow hits the ground, the shit hits the fan. :D

Jay911
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Just watched footage on CFCN of a bus coming down Bow Trail toward Sarcee at about 15kph with all wheels locked up, steering wheel turned to the left all the way, mount the curb and hit a yellow Matrix or something. If I learn how to steer into a skid and not lock up my steering axle when I take my class 4, surely the class 2 exam teaches bus drivers the same thing..

I was out yesterday and must have gotten home just before it all started. In a way, I'm almost thinking I wish I'd been out there to test out my new winters, but then sanity comes back... :D

trdjce10
11-28-2009, 07:49 PM
There is one thing that bothers me... the investment part. You do realize by having winter tires on, your summer tires are not being used. You are not dragging your summers in the back of the vehicle. Which means you can go twice as long before buying another set of tires versus having all seasons tires all year long. We don't need to argue that summer only tires can out track the best all seasons tires, and that winter only tires can out stop the best all seasons tires. Its a compromise if you ask me. If you want to get the best out of your car, have two sets of tires.

I know I don't have the driving experience as some of you here, especially those with over 30 years of driving. But may I make the assumption that you guys never tried a set of winter tires on?I don't know maybe some of you have tried winter tires and decided they are not worth it... the whole "is it worth it?" part goes back to my first paragragh.

Two drivers same vehicle with equal good driving skill, one have winter tires and one have all seasons tires... yah I'm sitting with the one with winter tires for winter.

sillysod
11-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Jay911
If I learn how to steer into a skid and not lock up my steering axle when I take my class 4, surely the class 2 exam teaches bus drivers the same thing..

I dont know if you have ever put a big truck into a skid on ice but once it starts to go there is no amount of mad driving skills that will save it. Once the wheels lock up there is not a hope in hell they will get up to speed again on ice enough that you will have any steering.

Truth is that any professional driver wouldn't be driving around yesterday anyways.

Canadian Si
11-28-2009, 08:17 PM
did anyone see any exotics on the road last night?

I came home Sarcee lastnight & saw a black Maserati that was sideways & was stuck on the curb !

Jay911
11-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Sure have, a fire pumper loaded with water and personnel. Just barely touched the brakes and it started to yaw badly to one side. Got off the brakes and it sorted itself right out. Had similar stories from my father about a driver on his fire dept during an ice storm in Ontario back when I was a kid in the 80s. Let up on the brakes and steer and the truck just snapped right back into line.

Regardless, it is (or should be) common knowledge that a wheel that's not turning is not going to help change your direction, even if you do have it at a 45 degree angle like the bus on TV did.

sneek
11-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Just watched footage on CFCN of a bus coming down Bow Trail toward Sarcee at about 15kph with all wheels locked up, steering wheel turned to the left all the way, mount the curb and hit a yellow Matrix or something. If I learn how to steer into a skid and not lock up my steering axle when I take my class 4, surely the class 2 exam teaches bus drivers the same thing..

I was out yesterday and must have gotten home just before it all started. In a way, I'm almost thinking I wish I'd been out there to test out my new winters, but then sanity comes back... :D

Rewatch that clip! The bus was off the brakes and in left lock. I think the car was a yellow Protege 5.

I chose not to go home yesterday and stayed in the SW, as Bow Trail was closed. I am glad that I didn't try to drive home as I would have been in the same shape as I would have probably have taken Bow Trail and Sarcee to get home.

Jay911
11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok, if he was off the brakes, my bad. I can't find it on their website to watch again. Fair enough. :)

sneek
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok, if he was off the brakes, my bad. I can't find it on their website to watch again. Fair enough. :)

haha it was only for a second, for a lot of the slide he was locked up. I watched it a few times. Perhaps we are watching a different clip but I thought it was on CFCN. I have a PVR and I couldn't believe it, as I was in the area last night.

trdjce10
11-28-2009, 10:44 PM
That's why most vehicles have ABS these days. It gives you a chance to steer out of trouble.

freshprince1
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM

Regardless, it is (or should be) common knowledge that a wheel that's not turning is not going to help change your direction, even if you do have it at a 45 degree angle like the bus on TV did.

Good concept here. I drive that way (i.e. take off the brakes when sliding), but have never thought about the physics. A turning wheel will take you (more or less) in that direction...a locked-up wheel will do nothing for you.