PDA

View Full Version : Cookware T-Fal or Cuisinart

stealth
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
So I am looking at some cookware, and came across two sets that I am looking at.

The first is a Cuisinart that is regular $699 and now selling for $239, they are stainless steel.

The other set is a Jamie Oliver by T-Fal set, regular $699 going for $279. It is also stainless steel and comes with a copper bottom.

Any recommendations?

npham
11-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Damn, where are you looking at for these deals. I'd be interested in knowing where these two sets could be found for this price. As for which set to go for, I don't think you could go wrong with either, but a copper insert makes for more even heating.

4lti
11-28-2009, 01:23 PM
T Fal cause of the copper for sure.

stealth
11-28-2009, 01:35 PM
The T-Fal is at Home Outfitters and the Cuisinart is at The Bay.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will go with the T-Fal.

dj_rice
11-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I believe I would go with the T-Fal because of the copper bottom which aids in quicker, more uniform heating

w_man
11-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Holy crap .. is that the whole set? I just tried a quick search and couldn't find a link to this offer. How many pieces? I wouldn't mind picking up the t-fal either.

w_man
11-28-2009, 02:29 PM
nvmd .. got it ... its on the flyer

stealth
11-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Did you buy it? If so how is it?

w_man
11-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I have one on hold so I'll be going over to pick it up. Just a note .. it's for $279 and you also get $100 in gift certificates for Home Outfitters (they have another deal to give $20 every $50 you spend)

Kritafo
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
don't forget it depends on your stove top as well. Gas, coil or ceramic. The brand of stove will tell you exactly which type of cookware work best with your stove.

w_man
11-28-2009, 03:07 PM
^^ emm .. we have the ceramic flat top ... so which one is the better?

Kritafo
11-28-2009, 03:14 PM
we have a Frigidaire our manual says no copper bottoms for our induction cooktop.

This is from the website the Frigidaire website. So I would go to the manufacturers website and look into your brand.

"For cookware to work on an induction surface, it must be magnetic and have a completely flat bottom. In general, most stainless steel and cast iron cookware will work. Here's a simple test: Try sticking a magnet to the bottom of your pan. If the magnet sticks, that cookware should work; if it doesn’t, most likely the cookware is not compatible with an induction cooktop surface.

Cookware made of aluminum, copper, or glass is not compatible with an induction cooktop."

npham
11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by stealth
The T-Fal is at Home Outfitters and the Cuisinart is at The Bay.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will go with the T-Fal.

Thanks for the heads up.

w_man
11-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Also a correction to my previous post ... you do not get $100 in gift certificates ... you get $100 in money cards ... so you can only use these gift cards ($20 each) during this 1-2 week period in December and you can only apply 1 $20 card against a $50 purchase.

So if you are planning on picking something up in December .. this would certainly be worth it.

stealth
11-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Went to go buy a set, and they ran out.

dj_rice
11-29-2009, 12:59 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: man that is FAIL, making a thread asking Beyond which one to buy since its on sale and then all sold out when u buy that sucks hard...too bad u didn't buy both sets and then return one after this thread..

npham
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
rain-check?

JordanAndrew
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
we have a Frigidaire our manual says no copper bottoms for our induction cooktop.

This is from the website the Frigidaire website. So I would go to the manufacturers website and look into your brand.

"For cookware to work on an induction surface, it must be magnetic and have a completely flat bottom. In general, most stainless steel and cast iron cookware will work. Here's a simple test: Try sticking a magnet to the bottom of your pan. If the magnet sticks, that cookware should work; if it doesn’t, most likely the cookware is not compatible with an induction cooktop surface.

Cookware made of aluminum, copper, or glass is not compatible with an induction cooktop."

This is an excellent advice! I would have never thought of checking with my manual for my induction cooktop. Thank you! :thumbsup:

JordanAndrew
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM

Which one did you go to?

stealth
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
LOL yea pretty big fail.

I went to the one in Edmonton... No rain-checks.

JordanAndrew
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
LOL yea pretty big fail.

I went to the one in Edmonton... No rain-checks.

That really sucks. I called around here in Calgary, there's the northland location that has 4 I believe.

Kristafo:
This Jamie Oliver set is aparently also good for induction top as it has multiple layers to make it work. It also says it's good for induction cooking on the box. I'm just giving extra information if someone is interested on this set and is wondering.

Kritafo
11-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

That really sucks. I called around here in Calgary, there's the northland location that has 4 I believe.

Kristafo:
This Jamie Oliver set is aparently also good for induction top as it has multiple layers to make it work. It also says it's good for induction cooking on the box. I'm just giving extra information if someone is interested on this set and is wondering.

Thanks... I am not in need of more cookware...but good to know that they have been tested for induction cooktops.

npham
11-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about not picking up this particular set. IIRC last Christmas, they blew out sets like this till the new year. I think we ended up buying a KitchenAid set, but the frying/saute pans were too small so we returned it.

w_man
11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
I was able to pick one up. Haven't opened it yet so not sure how nice it is.

Calgary stores had several .. I think the Royal Oak still had 2 left when I bought mine and that was today - almost end of day.

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
This cookware, and pretty much every other set, is on sale at least once a month for 70+% off. No need to rush out and get one unless its convenient. There is ALWAYS a sale on good quality cookware, and if you're after a specific one, just wait a few weeks, it'll go back on sale. Just keep an eye on Sears, The Bay, and Canadian Tire.

r3ccOs
11-30-2009, 04:31 PM
As stated above, you always have to wait for a good price at any of the Bay affiliates...

Personally I like Calphalyon annodized commercial cookwear which can only be found at commercial resturant supply stores.

Otherwise, I heard that the new aluminium cookwear at superstore is really good as well

npham
11-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
As stated above, you always have to wait for a good price at any of the Bay affiliates...

Personally I like Calphalyon annodized commercial cookwear which can only be found at commercial resturant supply stores.

Otherwise, I heard that the new aluminium cookwear at superstore is really good as well

I hope English is not your first language. All of your posts are riddled with spelling errors that can be caught by any web-browser.

cdnsir
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
On a side but related note. What's the best way to clean these stainless steel pans? Sometimes I burn shit on it, and it takes me seriously like half an hour to scrub it all out using soap and Scotch pads...

JordanAndrew
11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by npham

I hope English is not your first language. All of your posts are riddled with spelling errors that can be caught by any web-browser.

Who gives a shit man? This is Beyond, not English class. His post wasn't even that bad.

Originally posted by cdnsir
On a side but related note. What's the best way to clean these stainless steel pans? Sometimes I burn shit on it, and it takes me seriously like half an hour to scrub it all out using soap and Scotch pads...

Just Pre-soak it with the dish soap for a few hours righ after you use it. This usually works for me. :thumbsup:

Kritafo
11-30-2009, 11:44 PM
so If I burn anything in my pots as soon as the food is out I put baking soda in the pot with some water and put it back on the stove and bring it to a boil...bread tags are your friends to scrub when it's cooled off. Or you can try dry dishwasher detergent boiling water method...give it a scrub after and it should come out clean.

nonlinear
12-01-2009, 12:04 AM

nah man, you need a pot cleaner thing. you know, the copper or stainless steel ones you can buy at the grocery store. crackheads also use them in their crackpipes, but they work better for cleaning pans haha. it will take like 5 seconds to remove even the thickest, nastiest black carbon deposits :thumbsup:

http://www.klystra.com/images/potscrubber.jpg

r3ccOs
12-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by npham

Hey troll, eat my ass :D

hope I spelt that right!

I'm not a fan of non-stick coatings and what I use on my cast Iron pans, which I'll also use on my 18/10 uncoated stainless, is kosher salt.

If food is really really stuck on, you can try using some water to boil it out and if its really bad, a little CLR won't hurt stainless.

cdnsir
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the tips! Sounds like the consensus is to soak/reboil before scrubbing with crackpipe stuffing. LOL

Tik-Tok
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the tips! Sounds like the consensus is to soak/reboil before scrubbing with crackpipe stuffing. LOL

I just had a problem myself with ours. I forgot about some rice I had on (damn you COD:MW2).

It was burnt so fucking bad, it wasn't even funny. NOTHING I found on the internet worked, none of the soaking tricks, Bar's cleaner, oven cleaner, vinegar/baking soda, none of it even loosened it up. I tried everything except good old elbow grease,

Since I'm too lazy for elbow grease, I used this trick and got it spick and span. I grabbed my Mothers Powerball out of the garage, (since it sucks balls at actually cleaning rims), and wrapped one of those stainless steel wools around the end, then I put a bunch of Fast Orange hand cleaner in the bottom, and went to town with my drill (though I'm sure any gritty cleaner would work).

Took about 10 minutes, but it came out nicely.

edit: Oh, and I don't suggest you use a copper wool thing, dissimilar metal will start wrecking your pots and pans pretty quick.

cdnsir
12-01-2009, 11:16 PM
^^

Picked up some Barkeeper's Friend after work today. And damn! That stuff is like powered magic! Sprinkled a bit on, moisten my scotch pad, scrubbed with the grain and BAMMM! Any slight discolorations from grease and grime were all gone! I really don't know how I could have lived without this stuff for so long.

adidas
12-02-2009, 12:07 AM

ahahha too much! :rofl: