PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a place to get a piano keyboard

oceanblue
11-28-2009, 10:54 PM
As stated, im looking for a basic entry level one, brands like Casio. I saw a good one on the futureshop website but its sold out at the moment.

Anybody know of a music store to get a entry level keyboard around `$100

01RedDX
11-29-2009, 02:06 AM

dj_rice
11-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Mothers Music but I dont think they have anything for that price range for u

gam0s
11-29-2009, 08:56 AM
long & mcquade

Thomas Gabriel
11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Don't go so half-assed man. A $100 keyboard will disappoint you. It's not fun trying to learn to play a shitty instrument.

At least get something with hammer-action keys. The Casio Privia line has actually been getting good reviews. It will be 500+ though. If you can't afford it, save up.

gam0s
11-29-2009, 04:15 PM
+1^

but i was looking through the flyers today, theres a casio keyboard around 70 bucks at london drugs. lol of all places.

Jonel
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Don't go so half-assed man. A $100 keyboard will disappoint you. It's not fun trying to learn to play a shitty instrument.

At least get something with hammer-action keys. The Casio Privia line has actually been getting good reviews. It will be 500+ though. If you can't afford it, save up.

I strongly disagree with this comment. My very first piano was a Yamaha YPT 310, got it for around $110. Definitely a good beginner piano, specially if you get a sustain pedal for it (can run anywhere from $15 to $30 extra). I got the YPT at the source on boxing day a few years ago, so I'm not sure if they still carry that particular model. Cheap pianos are a good way to start learning about the basics of playing a piano, although it won't give you the same depth as a $500.00+ piano. Learning the basics such as chords, chromatic scales, triads and sight reading is easily doable with a $100 unit.

Transitioning from the YPT to weighted keys wasn't as difficult as some people made it sound to be. As long as you have your basics down, the transition will go quite smoothly. That's not to say that keyboards play the same as grand pianos, but a $100 keyboard is a good place to start learning.

Right now I'm using a NP30 (purchased at Long & Mcquade) in my room (technically a non-weighted keyboard but it does have graded soft-touch which mimics the sound depending on the resistance you get when playing with hammer-weighted keys) and a Steinway & Sons K-52.

If you need help with learning the basics, feel free to shoot me a PM. I can help direct you to a plethora of resourceful sites, most include video demonstration - if you're a visual learner.