PDA

View Full Version : looking for a pork shoulder.

spikerS
11-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I have decided to move to the next level in BBQ, and going to try and transition away from my LP grille, and my wife was nice enough to buy me a smoker.

I want to try it out, and I am thinking for the first thing to come off it, I want to try and do some pulled pork, smoked over some apple wood and jack daniels oak barrel chunks.

My issue is, the butcher I goto is not open on a sunday. anyone know of a place i can go to get a nice pork shoulder?

raidar
11-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Like pork butt/picnic cut? I'm in Edmonton, but I've picked the shoulder up at Sobeys, Superstore, and Wal-Mart. Should be easy to find.

Vagabond142
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Superstore is good for decent quality pork shoulder. Of course, if you're picky about the fat/lean marbling ratio, then a butcher is best, but if you just want a throwaway piece of meat that you can test out, a pork shoulder from superstore and a little home trimming to your preferred fat/lean marble should do ya just fine :)

spikerS
11-29-2009, 12:04 PM
on my way to super store. thanks guys!

MrSector9
11-29-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah superstore does have nice boneless cuts, nothing compared to a butcher but like as stated with a little work they can turn out great in a pulled pork setting since the inside fat can be pulled out of the mix.