PDA

View Full Version : Snowboading Gear

CaptainReboot
11-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Alright, so me and some friends have decided to take some lessons soon and learn how to snowboard. I want to start looking at some gear and keep my eyes open for stuff over the holidays/boxing day. We probably won't be doing this until early January, but I want to start doing my research now.

Jackets/Pants:
What should I be looking for? I keep seeing numbers like 10,000 mm/15,000mm, etc. I know that is for waterproofness. What is the minimum I should be getting? Is 5,000mm enough? I'll probably be falling lots, but it's not like I'll be sitting in the snow all day (or at least I hope not)

Underlayers:
What would work well? I was thinking of perhaps wearing dry fit, and then sweats or something before the jackets/pans.

Boots/Boards/Bindings:
Like I said, I am starting out. How much should I be looking to spend? Looking to spend around $500 for all this. Is that reasonable? Any recommendations on brands? I'm renting first, so this may help me in getting a feel for boards.

Does anybody know of any good snowboarding forums as well?

Thanks!

JordanAndrew
11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I always wear a dry fit long sleeve shirt (Under Armor, nike, etc) and a sweater underneath depending how cold is.

Edit: As for your budget, you should be able to get everything that you need for $500 but it won't be the greatest gear. I suggest to cheap out on your board for now since you're just learning anyways, get normal bindings and decent booths. Spend more money on gloves and your jacket, get some cheap ski pants for now, a decent set of goggles, a helmet, and a facemask if you can't stand the cold. As you can see, you will need a few gear to get you started, $500 may be a bit low to start but it is doable.

Try hitting a few stores as they should still have some old stock from last year that are usually on sale. Mission is really good with discounts, there's also the ski cellar (I think that's what it's called).

Actually I have a spare snowboard and binding and also a set of goggles that I might be looking to sell off. How tall are you?

RoGZ
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
don't cheap out on boots! if you are gonna spend any cash, get good boots! Get they fitted super tight as they will pack out and make sure to try on tons of sizes from different companies as each one will fit different types of feet. Then you will get into the BOA lacing which itself can be a whore with pressure points. board and bindings won't matter as much as long as you have your stance set up proper, but a a shitty boot will make your foot hurt and fall asleep instantly.

As for gear put it this way, when you are learning you don't get out that much so its not as much as a fashion statement and the styles usually come and go every couple years. Get some stuff that is relatively water-proof since you will be spending a lot of time on your ass and getting wet. Because of this your gear will be getting beat up pretty good, and in a couples years your gear will be showing signs of wear or have holes. If you stick with it this is the perfect time to get new gear and update the stylez

After a few years you'll be wear XXL and 270'ing in and 180'ing out of almost anything :)

CaptainReboot
12-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will probably end up renting this year and perhaps waiting for a year end sale to pick up the gear.

In terms of pants/jackets, is there a mimimum waterproof level I should be looking at? 5,000? 10,000? 15,000?

ercchry
12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
the-house.com

got a "deal of the day" jacket for $90! haha and it is great, they also always have good deals on everything, and they ship usps so no brokerage charges