PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Would you reccomend buying an 01 to 04 VW Jetta

CT-C
11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am planning on selling my 2001 Honda Accord EX with VTEC to purchase a Volkswagen Jetta preferably the 1.8 T. I am looking between the 2001 and 2004 years. I am not very familiar with VW's so that is why I am asking for some advice. What were the common problems of those years? and what should I take into consideration/look for when purchasing one.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

CT-C

sk65guy
11-29-2009, 03:16 PM
i bought a used 2001 1.8t biggest mistake of my life. car was fine at first but than just problem after problem.. but than again they are common problems that occur , but are super super costly to fix. :banghead:

Weapon_R
11-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Common problems? Everything.

Keep your accord :thumbsup:

sk65guy
11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

haha lol close, timing belt, water pump, ball barring, rotors, brakes, exhaust, full tranny re-build, breather hose, did a few transmission flushes. ignition coil. front axil, and thats all that i can think of as of right now. seriously the worst buy ever

tentacles
11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Would you reccomend buying an 01 to 04 VW Jetta

Sure, why not. Chicks like Jettas - They think the name is cute. :love:

Ashers
11-29-2009, 04:58 PM
The 2003's and later have a better interior... and the automatics are not guaranteed to fail. They are good cars, they just have "trouble spots". If you want a car that will go forever with just oil changes, keep the Accord. I've had to replace $200 in coolant hoses, some oil gaskets, timing belt and water pump (the pump lost it's impeller, bad design), and a few other things on my Jetta so far. Now I need a new bumper as the old one decided to fall off.

schocker
11-29-2009, 05:02 PM
The main problems with the MKIV VW's which are the 99.5-2005 were the coil packs and window regulators. They are fairly well built and easy enough to work on

gqmw
11-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

+1 for sure.

Accords run forever.

r3ccOs
11-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm sorry, but sounds like more items resulting in hard driving and general wear and tear.especially in regards to the timing belt and water pump which are performed at the same maintenance intervals.

That being said, I've never owned an MK4 made in mexico, so I'd be leery to ensure the vin indicates its German made. I did, and I don't have any problems.

Originally posted by sk65guy

haha lol close, timing belt, water pump, ball barring, rotors, brakes, exhaust, full tranny re-build, breather hose, did a few transmission flushes. ignition coil. front axil, and thats all that i can think of as of right now. seriously the worst buy ever

trevh
11-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Made in Mexico. Mine blew up, it was an 01'

bjstare
11-29-2009, 11:09 PM
I know its already been said, but +1 for keep the accord. I got rid of the '91 accord that I had, and it was the biggest mistake ever. I've recently gone back to honda (well, acura) and couldn't be happier.

tentacles
11-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Show me an example of a common failure that can be attributed to Mexican parts or construction.

grwnded
11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
the wife had an 01jetta with the 2.0l 4 banger and auto.

in 200,000 klms the water pump went at about 170k, and the battery went twice but that's it.

i'm not sure what trim package she had, but it had the cd/cassette deck, power windows/ locks. heated seats/ mirrors, cruise /ac and cloth interior.

not too bad considering she treated that car like shit.

greenchevette
11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
My girlfriend has a 01 TDI and my mom has a 05 1.8T, both have been great cars in the time we have had them. In the last 2 years the only things we had to get done were maintenance items, brakes, and coil packs on the 1.8t(all four were about $130.00).

Lots of waterpump failures in this generation of golfs/jettas, but thats mainly because they had plastic impellers from the factory, aslong as the belt/pump were changed and upgraded to a pump with metal impeller you should be fine.

picmerollin
11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
^^ the plastic blades on those water pumps was a terrible idea.

parts for a VW will usually be more, and they have overcomplicated electrical systems making aftermarket stereo's, starters etc etc a major $$ hassle.

codetrap
11-30-2009, 03:31 PM
If you do get one and it's got the crappy version of the dual din radio, I'll give you the monsoon dual din one that I have sitting on my bench for free. Nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded to a better system.

r3ccOs
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Personally I think the MK4 was quite a "move-up" for its segment

Compared to its class, to the Civic/Neons/Cobalts/Sentras, IMO it blew the lot of them away in terms, especially in fit & finishing.

Reliability seems to be a hit & miss and though there isn't unambiguious proof that the Mexican built Mk4's were less reliable, it appears the NA market who own a vast majority of them, have had the most problems with them.

I have a MK4 that I followed its routine maintenance with and have never broken down.
Change the brakes when they're wearing, saves you on the rotors.
My ball joints/tie rods and bushings are still good after 200k
Steering is still tight
Gearbox is still good, changed the clutch when required, along with transmission fluids
CV joints have not started to click, no tears in the boots
Water pump was "leaking" but it was also time to do as my timing belt had to be replaced as well.
Like anything, change the belts as they start to wear...
Engine, bulletproof, compression is perfect.
Have't yet had to change the termostat... coil packs still work fine...
When replacing spark plugs, cleaned out the injection system as the intake manifold has to be removed anyways
Replaced fuel filter on routine maintenance, helps saves injectors, of which I've never replaced yet..

I do have to admit, there are things that I dislike... cupholder location, heated mirrors have oxidized and are expensive to replace :P (I'll find some at car-parts.com)
Exhaust system has been trouble free for 10 years... first car I've ever seen to not rush through.

The electrical system is perhaps the main shortcoming, but usually that only results in burnt out light bulbs, not sensors or anything critical.
Again though, not a big deal.

My vin starts like this: WVWDA3
Which I belive indicates its German made... so maybe there is a difference?