Friday – Saturday : 9pm – 1am
Closed Sundays

Ambiance: 3.5/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 4.5/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Introduction

I used to be a huge fan of Sushi Kai ~5 years ago when it was in the end of Dragon City mall, but since then I prefer other places such as El’s, Sushi Club, or Zipang for sushi. So, I found out in a Chinese magazine (Skymag) that Sushi Kai also has a new location on 14th St but from the pictures, it seemed like they are more of a “dessert house” in this location than Sushi. So I thought I’d give them a try for their dessert. Always a bitch to find parking on 14 st, but luckily there is parking in the back.

Atmosphere

Pretty spacious for a place that fits ~15 tables and I liked that there is a big screen TV right at the front of the entire place for everyone to see. Great place to chill if you want to watch the game or anything like that. They even have a karaoke machine that you can sing on the big screen TV if you’re brave enough lol. Amazingly, lots of people wanted to sing, but they also serve alcohol there so I’m not too surprised. I liked the lighting in there as well because for dessert places like these, it’s just right. It’s not dark as fuck like Bubbles, and really bright like in Dessert House.

Food

So, we came there for dessert (desserts are 9 pm and after) but we also got a sushi menu as well. That place serves sushi during the day and night, but during the night it’s more of a lounge setting where it’s more chill. My friends and I ordered bubble tea/smoothies which were all made with fresh fruit: Mango, Strawberry Peach, Mango Coconut, Watermelon with Sake, Lychee.. Just to name a few. What’s good is that you can simply mix and match to whatever fruit you want, and you can add shots of sake to it for $2.50. The drinks themselves were ~5.50 depending how much fruit combos you want. All I can say is that the bubble tea here is great. It’s probably my favorite place to get bubble tea at night because it’s all fresh and goes down very smooth. Fresh watermelon + Sake = So refreshing :drool:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/739/watermelond.jpg

We also ordered 24 wings ($5.00 per dozen), half honey garlic and half teriyaki. We thought they would be wings like Bubbles or something but damn these wings are consistent and decent. They’re ACTUAL wings and drums where 10-12 would fill you up nicely with a good drink. They also have this caramelized crunch to them I enjoyed. Teriyaki was a bit on the salty side, but I didn’t mind too much because of the amount of meat on those bones. I also saw on their menu they had deep fried french toast, yam fries, etc. but that would probably be another time to try it out.

Sorry, some wings were taken before I took a pic lol
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1861/honeygarlic.jpg

So for the desserts, I had a black sesame with sweet tofu on top ($4.00). The black sesame paste was very smooth and so was the sweet tofu. I must admit that the black sesame at Dessert House is a bit watered down compared to the one here. What I like about this again is that I can choose so much variety that it’s not stuck to the menu. I could put black sesame on tofu, tofu on black sesame, syrup for the tofu on the side.. Like, it’s whatever you want for your dessert. We also had a taro with coconut and tapioca and that was great too. Lastly, we had a big bowl of grass jelly with fresh fruit (serves 3-4 people, ~$13.00)

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2867/tarococonut.jpg http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6403/grassjelly.jpg

Conclusion

I’m not sure if there is a place in Calgary like this where they open till 1 on the weekends, serve fresh fruit bubble tea, Chinese desserts, big wings, has a big screen TV with cable and karaoke, AND no teeny boppers staring you down, but this is one place that has all of that. It’s very relaxed in there and the atmosphere and food is good. Service is fine too as everyone helps one another and they encouraged our entire group to mix and match flavors to our liking even if it wasn’t dead set on the menu. We came there for dessert, but sushi is still available late as well so people don’t need to go to Shibuya as their only choice for late night sushi. This place kind of reminds me of El’s, where it’s a little place that not many people know about but great for dessert.

xxxazntigerxx
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
this is by globe fish right???

Speed_69
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by xxxazntigerxx
this is by globe fish right???
yup, it's pretty much across the street.

xolemonteaox
12-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, it was the last day for Sushi Kai 609 Dessert yesturday. The owner has officially closed it down.

However, they are looking for a better location and are hoping to opening in the summer!

Maxt
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Its still open, so I don't know ^ is talking about.

xolemonteaox
01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Sushi Kai 609 DESSERT is no longer there

CKY
01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Sushi Kai is still open, just not serving desserts anymore.

mr2mike
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Damnit. I wanted to try out the desserts. Is it that they were selling alcohol in the bubble tea after hours? Lost their license?