PDA

View Full Version : What to wear for SAIT interview

Daxin
11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Just wondering if people are dressing up for interviews towards a programs at SAIT? Is it usually casual or formal these days? At job interviews, I would normally wear a suit, but not sure if a suit is over kill for interviews at SAIT.

Thanx

TYMSMNY
11-30-2009, 12:33 PM
What program...?

usually slacks, d.shirt, and jacket of some sort. All clean, nicely pressed, no cologne, +shower. :D

bubbley
11-30-2009, 12:33 PM
whenever in doubt just wear a dress shirt and dress pants...you cant go wrong this way..

GQBalla
11-30-2009, 12:44 PM
just don't wear a dress shirt with a tie and blue jeans and runners. all tucked in and jeans as high as your belly button
ahhaah

guy in my NNT class did that

Daxin
11-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
What program...?

I've got an interview with the Diagnostic Imaging Program. I've applied for both Radiation and nuclear Medicine.

Anyone here ever been involved with the program?

taemo
11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
just don't wear a dress shirt with a tie and blue jeans and runners. all tucked in and jeans as high as your belly button
ahhaah

guy in my NNT class did that

who was that matt? :rofl: :rofl:
dylan?

GQBalla
11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by taemo

who was that matt? :rofl: :rofl:
dylan?

LOL

i see you remember that day ahahah

taemo
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
no man, at first i thought it would have been fabio, but then only dylan was the only one i could imagine dressed up like that.

mowglee
11-30-2009, 04:25 PM
dark jeans, plain sweater with dress shirt underneath, and a pair of casual shoes but nothing sporty

Klew
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Good job! and good luck with the interviews, both programs are tough to get into! I applied for both last year.

Now I'm in the Respiratory Therapy program at SAIT. The interviews are pretty casual. I would just wear some dark jeans with a nice shirt and black shoes.

Daxin
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Klew
Good job! and good luck with the interviews, both programs are tough to get into! I applied for both last year.

Now I'm in the Respiratory Therapy program at SAIT. The interviews are pretty casual. I would just wear some dark jeans with a nice shirt and black shoes.

Can you please tell me what kinds of questions they asked?

also, What made you go into Resp Tech? I've searched for jobs in that field and found nothing in Calgary.

Klew
12-01-2009, 11:35 AM
The questions are basic interview questions.. why are you interested in the program, personal accomplishments, what you feel you excel at, strong/weak areas in regards to work, school, etc...

If you volunteer, you should bring that up somewhere in the interview and if you have any personal stories relating to the program mention them. For example, "My grandma has severe emphysema, and a history of smoking.. This is why I have a passion to enter the Respiratory Therapist program...blah blah blah"

With my program, and the ones you're interested in, you have to complete your practicum. Mine is a full year, so basically the hospitals have a year to "secret interview" me.. Alot of students get offered jobs once they finish their schooling. Hospitals and clinics aallwaayyss need employees.

I picked RT because they actually get to interact with patients, they can choose where they work (neonates, home care, sales, ER, OR, etc.) and they're faced with something new everyday, they work along side with nurses and physicians, and are highly respected by doctors. At the end of the day, you've made an impact in a patients life so it's a pretty self rewarding job too.

SOOO in conclusion, you've picked great programs, VERY hard to get into though.. but if you made it to the interview, you're almost there! It's a recession proof career, and you earn lots of money for the amount of stress/responsibility the job brings.

phit3n
12-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Klew pretty much got everything there about the types of questions they ask. But for my interview I was asked about the job itself. Such as.. what is a typical routine a x-ray technologist goes through for each patient. There was also scenario type questions such as.. If you were a tech, how will you handle a situation with an uncooperative patient?

Im currently in the MRT program and from what I hear they've changed the selection process. The interview section is completely different. They just changed it this year so the questions might be different as well. I don't know about the RT program, but for the MRT program the selection process included a job shadow, career investigation, and an interview. For the interview it was a 1 on 4 type interview where they each asked a series of questions.

Anyways best of luck to you :thumbsup:

Daxin
12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I have applied for the MRT program, I never was informed of a job shadow though. Just a career investigation and now the interview.

Daxin
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by phit3n
There was also scenario type questions such as.. If you were a tech, how will you handle a situation with an uncooperative patient?

If you don't mind, what was your answer to that question.

bignerd
12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
You will have to come up with your own answer... haha. Guessing it was probably not exactly what you expected (assuming your interview was today as mine was). It was behavioural based but not what I expected, although it went fine anyhow.

Daxin
12-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Behavioral? Hmmm Never encountered that kind of interview before. You didn't see any psychologists did you? LOL.

bignerd
12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
You must be young then(No offense intended). Most companies these days do behavioural based interviews. Give me an example of a time when you had to take charge of a situation. Give me an example of a time when you had a deadline and how you met it. Give me an example of a situation where you showed leadership skills...

Usually you are interviewed by 2,3, or 4 people all asking different questions like above. Apparently the best indicator of your future behavior is your past behavior.

The questions at SAIT were behavioural based, however the set up of the interview was different, I suppose to make it easier and more fair, less biased when choosing applicants.

Like I said I was a little surprised because when I was at the open house they made it sound like they really wanted people who had "people skills" but the way they conducted the interviews it really did not let you show any of your personality or discuss how you have handled things, your accomplishments etc...