PDA

View Full Version : Knee issue

msommers
11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
This has been going on for awhile now and wondering if I should be more concerned than I am. When doing squats or even lunges, my left knee will feel like a bit of bone is popping or rolling outwards when I bend down, and pops back in when I stand back up. I've talked to my doctor about this, and she says it's just clicky knees. But it's really hindered me doing any heavy lifting while doing squats because I'm scared it will give out. It does 'click' sometimes but it's very noticeable when doing squats, makes me pretty uneasy to be honest.

Should I go back and have her examine it again and maybe try to get some x-rays out of her, or is there a sports clinic or something similar where I could get it checked out?

HondaKid
11-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Try a second doctor, I had one sports doctor in Montreal tell me if I played for the Habs he would have me in for work in under an hour. But as I did not play for the Habs, no go on the operation. He advised me to get a protective brace, I think I paid something like $50 for one from a sports store and all was well. It really made a big difference in how the knee felt and the confidence gained from knowing the knee was good with each lift. Once you feel the knee is a weak point, getting a brace allows your mind to be free of such thoughts. It really works.

I would try another doctor and also buy a knee brace, try the brace on in the store as sizing is an issue. I ended up getting one for my "good" knee as well, felt like my knees in high school, no worries.

Darkane
11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Knee issues are tough to pinpoint.

Is the pain on the outside part of the knee? Try foam rolling your IT band.

The IT band runs lengthwise from the hip to the side of the knee. Roll it 30-50 times for each side.

2xO8rk40r00&

It could also be you have (Like me) Anterior pelvic tilt. My pelvis tilts forward about 14deg on the left, and 17 deg on the right throwing my joints out. I got some Knee/back pain as a result of this but I did some stuff to help that and it's a bit better.

The last thing to check is your S.I. joint tightness, your Hamstring tightness and hip mobility. If you're not "sitting" back while squatting, a lot more - A LOT more pressure is on your knees in stead of the posterior chain and back.

Check those out :thumbsup:

msommers
11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have to try those out.

Darkane, how did you find out about this?

It could also be you have (Like me) Anterior pelvic tilt. My pelvis tilts forward about 14deg on the left, and 17 deg on the right throwing my joints out. I got some Knee/back pain as a result of this but I did some stuff to help that and it's a bit better.

Darkane
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Thanks guys, I'll have to try those out.

Darkane, how did you find out about this?

Andrew Gustafson @ Natural High Athletics in Okotoks.

He does Bio-signiture (Hormones) and Bio-Mechanical/Structural (Joints/Posture/Imbalances) analysis. His prices are very fair and he's the shit. Awesome no bullshit dude. Tells it like it is and gives excellent advise on how to fix it.

Give him a call and tell him the Fort. McMurray guy sent you.