PDA

View Full Version : Telus HD TV

Wrath
11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I did a search and could find any information...so forgive me it I missed a thread...

Does anybody on here have Telus HD TV?

I have all my services with telus accept Cable....and they are offering some good incentives to switch over. I'm wondering you experiences....The channel selections seems to be pretty much the same (on a quick glance)

megavolt
11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
To start are you talking about Telus TV or Telus Satellite TV (different services)?

Wrath
11-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Sorry ... Telus TV

just found this thread...dosn't look promising

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/286660/telus-full-bundle/

I currently have a Non-PVR shaw Box and am looking for a PVR (Trying to get one out of switching)

cdnsir
11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I love mine. Signed up for 3 years and got free rental on the HD PVR for the entire duration. No problems in terms of TV degradation when I'm downloading on my computer at my place. But I have heard that some houses will have this problem due to the area that they live in.

If you're worried about that. You can bundle what you have with their satellite TV service (re-branded Bell) instead. Then you will never have problems with overloading TV and internet over the same line.

But for me though, I've had everything bundled with them since 2007 in two different houses, and happy to say, there're no issues to report. There's one time when their router was acting up on me. They came by and swapped my equipment for free within a few days so no complains about their customer services neither.

Wrath
11-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
I love mine. Signed up for 3 years and got free rental on the HD PVR for the entire duration. No problems in terms of TV degradation when I'm downloading on my computer at my place. But I have heard that some houses will have this problem due to the area that they live in.

If that is a concern to you. You can bundle what you have with their satellite TV service (re-branded Bell) instead. Then you will never have problems with overloading TV and internet over the same line.

But for me though, I've had everything bundled with them since 2007 in two different houses, and happy to say, there're no issues to report. There's one time when their router was acting up on me. They came by and swapped my equipment for free within a few days so no complains about their customer services neither.

Good to know....I can't do a satellite service since the townhouses I live in do not permit them.

yellowsnow
11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Telus HD TV is a single tuner PVR.. not a dual tuner like shaw or bell. so you can't record, and watch another show at the same time.

Your internet speed will slow down as you watch TV... and you can only get 3.0mps for internet max.

I went with telus satellite tv, but my friend has telus tv, and he likes it a lot.

blownz
11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
One big negative to Telus TV is that they don't have enough bandwidth to allow you to actually use the dual tuners the boxes have. So if you are recording a show, you can't watch anything else on TV and you can't record two shows at the same time. Pretty pathetic.

The menu's do look prettier than Shaws, and the guide is better imo, but I wouldn't take it over Shaw. And the person I know that has it is a Telus employee and still tells everyone Shaw is better. He only has it because he is an empoyee and it is cheap.

bjstare
12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
My parents have Telus TV, so I deal with it whenever I'm back at their house. Based on my experience, I basically agree with all the points mentioned already. Its a pretty good service, but the biggest drawback is the single tuner, its actually pretty bad because you can't record something if your not watching it. They're also in the same boat as the people above, they have it because my dad was a director at Telus, and he still gets a great deal on his services, but aside from that, probably wouldn't be using the service. One advantage of Telus TV over satellite is that it won't cut out and get blocky/glitchy during very heavy cloud cover (which is what their Bell satellite used to do on occasion).

Bushy
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
SD
If you have 1 tv you get 7.5 profile which means 3 will be set(maxed) for internet and the rest for TV.
If you have 2 tv's, the TV's have to share it, so your internet will drop to about a meg if watching both tv's. I usually only have 1 on at a time so It doesnt affect my internet.

If you have 3 tv's, or 2 tv's one of which is HD, you get a 15 meg profile, and again the tv's must share.

The HD uses about 7meg, and sd tv is about 3. So on the 15 meg with both tv's you have about 2 meg on internet if watching all 3

Wrath
12-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
Telus HD TV is a single tuner PVR.. not a dual tuner like shaw or bell. so you can't record, and watch another show at the same time.

This is a huge deal breaker....Why in gods name would a company put out a product without a dual tuner

Xtrema
12-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Wrath

This is a huge deal breaker....Why in gods name would a company put out a product without a dual tuner

Read above. Bandwidth.

Telus max out @ 15Mbps. Shaw can go as high as 100Mbps. Easy math.

Telus has no tech edge staying with DSL. They need to bring in FIOS if they really want to compete with cable companies.

yellowsnow
12-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Wrath

That's why Telus offers either Telus TV or Telus Sattelite TV now. Telus Satellite is just Bell Expressvu rebranded.

rony_espana
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I got Telus HD TV and I personally love it, also I have 2 receivers...only 1 gets HD, but I only have 1 HD tv so it works out nicely. Its only $5 extra a month to get 12 HD Telus Channels including all the sports channels. I can actually see the puck when watching hockey games now!

:goflames:

Bushy
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Telus has GPON (fibre), and ETTS to the house, capable of an 80meg service(currently). There is no way shaw is capable of a 100meg service.. You cant get that capability on copper over any distance.

Grogador
12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Where has Telus laid FTTH (passive, active, "ETTS" or whatever)? Most of their network is finally FTTN with "TV capable" areas running DSL2 over shorter runs of their ancient shite copper. Shaw has a shitload of fiber distribution (look up BigPipe's network) and 800MHz coax plant which can pump multiple gigabits of QAM256 downstream.

Each 6MHz channel QAM256'd down at ~38Mbits * 800MHz is like 5Gbit/sec.

Wait, what was this thread about again?

Alterac
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Bushy
There is no way shaw is capable of a 100meg service.. You cant get that capability on copper over any distance.

What? LOL.

Im not even going to point out how wrong that statement is.

Also, I am now assuming you mean there is no way for telus to provide dsl at 100mbps over copper. :D

nich148_9
12-06-2009, 11:50 PM
We switched from Telus TV to Shaw. The main problem for us was how slow the internet was when the TV was on. With one on it got really slow, but with both on it was unusable (10 kb/s down, max.)

Shaw isn't great, but it's the best of a bad bunch.

Grogador
12-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Shaw is great! RAH RAH RAH!!! Does Telus TV still have the chunky asstastic compression and r e a a a l l y slooow channel changing?