PDA

View Full Version : Family... What do you say?

swak
11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
I really don't know how to start this off, dont want to sound emo, im not looking for sympathy, but i want another persons opinion.

I finally got myself in a good financial position, so i take my parents out to Kananaskis for the weekend just thought it'd be all great, show my appreciation for everything in the past etc.
Then i get home and my parents give me an envelope of money to cover everything from the weekend but $100. As kind of a thanks, but we don't need your money. Prior to the weekend, the understanding was that money wont be an issue.
I've talked to them about it too, but they wont take it back.

I feel like its a huge kick in the teeth.
But that could just be me.

JordanAndrew
11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Ah well, at least you tried. Just keep the money and use it to buy their Christmas presents.

almerick
11-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Give them a Christmas card with the words 'no tag backs' and their money inside? :dunno:

Don't worry, your parents are just looking out for you.

JfuckinC
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Ah well, at least you tried. Just keep the money and use it to buy their Christmas presents.

lol ya perfect, re-gift there money into presents!

LadyLuck
11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Just keep the money and use it to buy their Christmas presents.

Great idea! Money for christmas gifts is always a plus!

If they wont take it back theres not much you can do. When you told them how you felt... did you tell them that you were offended by them giving it to you?

Neil4Speed
11-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by swak

Nice gesture on your part, its kind of a tough situation but don't pressure anything beyond their comfort point. If they absolutely insist then take it and do what you wish with it - just make sure they know it was a gift from you to them and you don't want to take it.

The intent was not malicious, don't get offended by it.

topmade
11-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Suck up your pride, they are just being supportive parents. Their baby boy is all grown up and working hard and that means more to them then anything. I wish I had parents like yours; my parents would be asking for more money. Like the others said, give them a nice christmas gift with the money.

taemo
11-30-2009, 04:36 PM
if that was your parents reaction, just accept it and like what others have said, use the money to buy them x-mas gift insteads.

your parents I'm sure were touched and pleased that you took them out but probably just didnt feel like you had to treat them out. some parents are like that I guess.

will_e_chill
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
you can give me the money and i'll buy something nice for your parents... :D

don't be offended dude, they're good parents and they raised a good kid with good values.

now that i have a kid i hope he treats us well when we're older.

swak
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
This makes sense, but it just seems kinda selfish to me
I dont know who this is a quote from but "the most selfish thing to be is unselfish".

I'll just leave it at that then. :dunno:

bspot
11-30-2009, 04:49 PM
My parents are the same. Really, really bad at accepting gifts because they feel guilty having us spend on them (despite all the crap for us over the years).

It just means your parents love you, not a slap in the face at all.

Zero102
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by swak
I really don't know how to start this off, dont want to sound emo, im not looking for sympathy, but i want another persons opinion.

I finally got myself in a good financial position, so i take my parents out to Kananaskis for the weekend just thought it'd be all great, show my appreciation for everything in the past etc.
Then i get home and my parents give me an envelope of money to cover everything from the weekend but $100. As kind of a thanks, but we don't need your money. Prior to the weekend, the understanding was that money wont be an issue.
I've talked to them about it too, but they wont take it back.

Perhaps they felt it was a bit of a kick in the teeth that their kid had to pay for them to go away for the weekend and wanted to show that they really were okay?

Just wondering, but how old are you?
If you're 20-30, your parents would feel insulted if they thought you were taking pity on them by taking them somewhere and might react that way. If you are 40 and your parents are retired then they are just being stubborn, and that is not a bad thing.

freshprince1
11-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Maybe your parents are proud of you, appreciate the gesture, but just don't wan't you to be out any money on their behalf.

Get over it. Use the money to buy them Christmas gifts. I'm married with two kids, a good job and a mortgage...my folks still give me gas money when I come to visit them. I've told them not to worry about it, they just respond that they like to help out. I think it makes them feel good.

dexlargo
11-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Did you watch the office a couple of weeks ago where Dwight and Andy got into a competition about who could be nicer? This sounds a bit like that to me.

Don't get mad because the people that you're being nice to want to be nice back.

03ozwhip
11-30-2009, 08:50 PM
this happens to me constantly with my inlaws. we get them something or they ask to get them something because its easier for us. we tell them they dont have to pay for it, but they just leave the money somewhere, or vice versa, we ask them to grab us something that we dont have access to and they wont take our money to pay them for it.

its frustrating for sure, but again, its them looking out for their kids, money means nothing to them as long as were happy. be grateful, like topmade said, my parents would definitely ask for more.

mekeni
11-30-2009, 09:36 PM
just let it be, they'll be happier this way.